Horoscope = Consensus about 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Horoscope = Consensus about 2013

softy and moon wont admit this is that they both feel the same way about this year's signings....Moon has broken ranks and said the money spent was foolish....I guess dredging up the wakefield past is a way softy can distance himself from his nemises.....I have yet to see any poster regular predict a first place finish..and postseason predictions basically depend on the stars aligning via divisional cannibalism - sort of the baseball equivalent of the Black and Blue division nfc central...joey and I have a bet about finishing .500 or not but basically we both feel that is where we could end up give or take 3-4 games

i predict a harmonious forum in 2013 in which we chart success thru the continued rise of our younger players and not agonize over busted signings like dempster/drew

Iggy, Middlebrooks, Felix, and of course JB will soothe the savage forum beasts this year...

this is my psychic prediction

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Horoscope = Consensus about 2013

In response to georom4's comment:

softy and moon wont admit this is that they both feel the same way about this year's signings....Moon has broken ranks and said the money spent was foolish....I guess dredging up the wakefield past is a way softy can distance himself from his nemises.....I have yet to see any poster regular predict a first place finish..and postseason predictions basically depend on the stars aligning via divisional cannibalism - sort of the baseball equivalent of the Black and Blue division nfc central...joey and I have a bet about finishing .500 or not but basically we both feel that is where we could end up give or take 3-4 games

i predict a harmonious forum in 2013 in which we chart success thru the continued rise of our younger players and not agonize over busted signings like dempster/drew

Iggy, Middlebrooks, Felix, and of course JB will soothe the savage forum beasts this year...

Highly unlikely

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

where is Space when you need some Zen back-up? he's probably yoga-ing on the beach by the Goldengate bridge....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I'm already on record for 87 wins.

Lester 18 wins

Buch 17+ wins

Doubie  13+ wins

Dempster 10+ wins

Lackey 10 wins

68 + for the SR

19 + for the BP

All with JBJ in the mix  :)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

91 wins

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

75-80

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Hi Geo, 

As mentioned before I don't always agree with you and many times I find you a bit hard to take with too much negativity but with the media we have to read in Boston it can be hard to be positive sometimes. As for your latest write up your pretty much dead on. I know some hate the phrase "bridge year" but that is exactly what this year and possibly 2014 will be. I can't see the current roster being much more than competitive and some of the off season signing, especially Victorino for $13mil a year were puzzling but there were some good moves as well, so as with any club if you have a love for your team your take the good with the bad and hope for a positive outcome.

I look at teams like the Brewers out here in Milwaukee with years of nothing but mostly sub 500 seasons and contrast that with the Sox record under the new ownership. The difference is night and day but again we in Boston are blessed with a very negative press corp who prey on negativity. 

All that being said this clibs future looks very bright with lots of young talent ready or on the way to Boston over the next few years when most if not all of the recent signing will be gone and the core of this club will be young and hopefully be the heart of this team for a number of years. At that point of course the front office will be looking at signing a few key veteran free agents or acquisition through trades to build a balanced team.

The future does look bright but the next few years are rebuilding years which every team has to go through. Fans that refuse or deny this fact just don't live in the real world.

Cheers, Hetch 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I keep hearing in the national media that the East is wide open.  Toronto and Tampa Bay are generally picked to win the division, but I have heard many times any one can win it and anyone can finish last.  I have gone on record in my prediction of 85-90 wins.  I think the Sox can survive a month without Ortiz.  If there is a major injury to either Pedroia or Middlebrooks, I think that will hurt the most.  There is no solid back up at either of those positions. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Lester 18 wins

Buch 17+ wins

Doubie  13+ wins

Dempster 10+ wins

Lackey 10 wins

68 + for the SR

19 + for the BP

Dirtdog, 

I'd agree but with the record of injuries with this club the past few years and a somewhat Punch and Judy line-up I'm thinking 75-81 wins. The catching with Salty is only fair although Ross is a positive addition. The front 5 starters are notoriously fragile but I agree that Lester and Buch could have very solid seasons as Farrels presence seems to have made instant impact so far, Doubrant leaves me very skeptical but hecould finally become a solid 2-3 pitcher, but as for Lackey he's come in with a great new attitude which doesn't leave me skeptical as I'm hoping for 12-15 wins but a year after surgery could be an up and down year. Dempster, I've no hope for. I wish him the best but at best he's been mostly a very mediocre pitcher so I'm hoping for an early May-June call up of one of our promising youngster or Morales becoming a solid #5. He certainly if healthy is at least better than Dempster. The deep bullpen could be the teams saving grace but if over worked as in the past even the best bullpen could suffer. 

Just ones non-trollish opinions !!

Hetch

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Lester 18 wins

Buch 17+ wins

Doubie  13+ wins

Dempster 10+ wins

Lackey 10 wins

68 + for the SR

19 + for the BP

Dirtdog, 

I'd agree but with the record of injuries with this club the past few years and a somewhat Punch and Judy line-up I'm thinking 75-81 wins. The catching with Salty is only fair although Ross is a positive addition. The front 5 starters are notoriously fragile but I agree that Lester and Buch could have very solid seasons as Farrels presence seems to have made instant impact so far, Doubrant leaves me very skeptical but hecould finally become a solid 2-3 pitcher, but as for Lackey he's come in with a great new attitude which doesn't leave me skeptical as I'm hoping for 12-15 wins but a year after surgery could be an up and down year. Dempster, I've no hope for. I wish him the best but at best he's been mostly a very mediocre pitcher so I'm hoping for an early May-June call up of one of our promising youngster or Morales becoming a solid #5. He certainly if healthy is at least better than Dempster. The deep bullpen could be the teams saving grace but if over worked as in the past even the best bullpen could suffer. 

Just ones non-trollish opinions !!

Hetch

If Doubie gets the 15 you hope for, that pushes me up to 89 wins :)

I'll take it!  SOLD!

I would like to revise my prediction up to 89, bagging us the WC.  I like it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Mostly background music with occasional jazz. No rocking and rolling this year, which is good. I just want to enjoy MLB baseball again. My connection to the team is way strange. Transistor radio, kitchen clock radio, black and white TV, sox always playing in the background. Winning it all didn't matter, just hope they did well.  

The background is now the net on an iPad. Pandora playing, reading a book, playing chess, pop up notification every pitch. I just hope they do well.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I think this team will be better than some are giving it credit for, but not playoff-worthy unless (as Geo put it) "the stars align." I see 84-87 wins as most likely...I think the real fun will begin in 2014-15 when all the prospects start coming into their own, but this year I'll be pretty happy with a winning record and the knowledge that things are heading in the right direction again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm saying 90 wins. I feel pretty good about the pitching, but a little concerned about the lineup for now. I'll feel better once Ortiz gets back in the lineup.

But with the bad luck of injuries in recent years, I feel the luck factor has to swing back in Boston's favor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I think this team will be better than some are giving it credit for, but not playoff-worthy unless (as Geo put it) "the stars align." I see 84-87 wins as most likely...I think the real fun will begin in 2014-15 when all the prospects start coming into their own, but this year I'll be pretty happy with a winning record and the knowledge that things are heading in the right direction again.

Too bad Theo didn't/wasn't allowed to, go ahead with his "bridge year" a few years ago when he wanted to. Its like they tried to delay the inevitable. Now, here we are in a "Bridge year".

I'm seeing the same thing, about an 85ish win team. I've stated already and as Geo stated above, if everything aligns we could be a 90 or more win team. It will take everything going right this year for that to happen though.

They have enough saved over to purchase a contract at the deadline if need be if they are doing good. Either way, I am starting the year off optimistic like I always do and hope for the best.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

With Bradley, this team will contend for a playoff spot by going down to the last week of the season with a chance to get the WC.

That's not asking for much for a payroll that is over 150 million.

Lackey and Dumpster and the 30 million a year they cost will be terrible, but not bad enough to stop cheerleaders and shills from claiming "they did a good job".

The defintion of a good pitching job is 160 IP and an ERA under 4.5 It will be interesting to see if either Lackey or Dempster are able to achieve that.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hi Geo, 

As mentioned before I don't always agree with you and many times I find you a bit hard to take with too much negativity but with the media we have to read in Boston it can be hard to be positive sometimes. As for your latest write up your pretty much dead on. I know some hate the phrase "bridge year" but that is exactly what this year and possibly 2014 will be. I can't see the current roster being much more than competitive and some of the off season signing, especially Victorino for $13mil a year were puzzling but there were some good moves as well, so as with any club if you have a love for your team your take the good with the bad and hope for a positive outcome.

I look at teams like the Brewers out here in Milwaukee with years of nothing but mostly sub 500 seasons and contrast that with the Sox record under the new ownership. The difference is night and day but again we in Boston are blessed with a very negative press corp who prey on negativity. 

All that being said this clibs future looks very bright with lots of young talent ready or on the way to Boston over the next few years when most if not all of the recent signing will be gone and the core of this club will be young and hopefully be the heart of this team for a number of years. At that point of course the front office will be looking at signing a few key veteran free agents or acquisition through trades to build a balanced team.

The future does look bright but the next few years are rebuilding years which every team has to go through. Fans that refuse or deny this fact just don't live in the real world.

Cheers, Hetch 

Cheers Hetch but a lot of us "negative posters" were clammoring for the bridge year after the 2011 fiasco and instead we got one more year of beckett...and this year it looks like ben was content to overpay for mediocre talent again but you cant deny youth in sports - it is the most powerful force of change and the sox have some to offer....i could care less if we make the playoffs or not - i dont expect to - what i do expect is the team to gain experience, purpose, and direction for the future   .500 is 13 games better than last year's squad and that would be a good start...but if i dont see JB, Iggy, middlebrooks everyday, it will get ugly 

21. This post has been removed.