Horrible night for Sox, great night for baseball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I doubt I would still be addicted to baseball if '78 never happened.  The hurt lasted a long time.

Think of all those kids waking today to hear what happened.

The kid in Tampa who went to bed down 7 - 0, wakes to see the homegrown superstar blast 2 homers.

The neutral who watches with glee as Crawford blows another catch. How could any neutral not watch Lackey and Crawford take the cash and bomb not be thrilled this morning?

The agony of the little kid waking in New England to see Scutaro stumble around third, or Lavarnway experience the greatest highs and lows in two nights.

Baseball fans were the winner last night.  The agony in New England will only make the next '04 all the better to savor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

Re: Horrible night for Sox, Great night for baseball

In Response to Horrible night for Sox, Great night for baseball:
    [QUOTE]I doubt I would still be addicted to baseball if '78 never happened.  The hurt lasted a long time. Think of all those kids waking today to hear what happened. The kid in Tampa who went to bed down 7 - 0, wakes to see the homegrown superstar blast 2 homers. The neutral who watches with glee as Crawford blows another catch. How could any neutral not watch Lackey and Crawford take the cash and bomb not be thrilled this morning? The agony of the little kid waking in New England to see Scutaro stumble around third, or Lavarnway experience the greatest highs and lows in two nights. Baseball fans were the winner last night.  The agony in New England will only make the next '04 all the better to savor.  
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]I doubt I would still be addicted to baseball if '78 never happened.  The hurt lasted a long time. Think of all those kids waking today to hear what happened. The kid in Tampa who went to bed down 7 - 0, wakes to see the homegrown superstar blast 2 homers. The neutral who watches with glee as Crawford blows another catch. How could any neutral not watch Lackey and Crawford take the cash and bomb not be thrilled this morning? The agony of the little kid waking in New England to see Scutaro stumble around third, or Lavarnway experience the greatest highs and lows in two nights. Baseball fans were the winner last night.  The agony in New England will only make the next '04 all the better to savor.  
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Nice post, Tom...It might have been simply the most eventful and dramatic regular-season night in baseball history.  I am still in disbelief at the way things turned around so quickly in that Baltimore ninth and a few minutes later at the Trop...Hard to fathom, but  we do know, as you suggest, that baseball can be a fickle and unforgiving mistress....

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it.

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Good night for Sox. They had severe construction flaw and made the terrible mistake of holding roster spots for Varitek and Wakefield and allowing 6 man monte rotation for Wakefield ceremonial tour and early coast and caution mode. The long term construction flaws are deep and only replacing incompetent management will put organization on better footing.

Had the Red Sox limped into playoffs it would have provided cover for Epstein.

First order of business should be to fire Epstein. One who is incompetent enough to make moves like Crawford and Lackey and hold roster spots for Wakefield and Varitek is not competent enough to fix them. Starting last season, my confidence went to low on Epstein. It went to zero after winter 2010-2011.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

hey tom  , one thing i have to ask, how is this a great night for baseball, we lost, or am i on a bad  acid trip. theres no good news for us sox fan till next april, only getting rid of the dead weight  starting with three halfs of this old fragile team, and of course the manager

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Horrible night for Sox, Great night for baseball:
    [QUOTE]hey tom  , one thing i have to ask, how is this a great night for baseball, we lost, or am i on a bad  acid trip. theres no good news for us sox fan till next april, only getting rid of the dead weight  starting with three halfs of this old fragile team, and of course the manager
    Posted by tang1[/QUOTE]

Because BASEBALL is more than just what we watch here in Boston.

It's an excellent point by the author of this thread, baseball, as a whole, is better off when teams like the Rays beat teams like the Sox. Money doesn't equal winning, proper management does.

I don't see how either Francona or Epstein comes back, neither should. I seriously doubt Epstein sticks around to take the heat, he's never done well with that in the past, constantly justifying bad signings...well, he can't justify anything this year or last. 89/90 wins, respectively is a collosal failure. Francona is just as culpable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

the only good thing about last night is that it has to be a catalyst for change that the club badly needs.

as for good night for baseball, couldnt give a ferk about that, the rest of baseball is laughing at the sox this morning, this has been an epic failure, a humiliating shambles of a month.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4412333. Show user_4412333's posts

"Boston Globe The Yankees first baseman hits two home runs, including a grand slam, as Tampa Bay loses to New York..."

...at 6:20 a.m.  this is still a headline in the 'globesportswire' on the boston.com RS page.

Somehow appropriate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Who knew the "bridge" year would be the one when Sox fans line up at the Tobin?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

As bad as September was, our seaCryson was over in April.  I am going back to get my post that says we will lose by 1/2 a game at the end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]the only good thing about last night is that it has to be a catalyst for change that the club badly needs. as for good night for baseball, couldnt give a ferk about that, the rest of baseball is laughing at the sox this morning, this has been an epic failure, a humiliating shambles of a month.
    Posted by Guvnor[/QUOTE]
    Very well said, Sir.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Don't forget to through the Braves in the mix. They lost an 8.5 wild card lead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Never again should the so-called analysts of ESPN be taken seriously.    They were wayyyyyy off with predictions  .......

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nirree. Show nirree's posts

Watching october baseball at the astonishingly beautiful Tropicana Field must be the most appealing thing next to watching paint dry. 

Tamba will win the WS by a walk-off homerun of the catwalk

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget to through the Braves in the mix. They lost an 8.5 wild card lead.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Sure, but they lost theirs to the best team in baseball, the Phils, while we choked against the last place O's. Plus, we had a much better offensive team than the Braves.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Braves lost in extra innings, Tampa came back from a 7 run deficit to win in extra innings with a home-run no less, and the Sox coughed up the game on the last out of a must win game - very dramatic evening in MLB.

You actually had fans on the edge of their seats for the last game of the regular season in FOUR CITIES! That is unheard of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Watching october baseball at the astonishingly beautiful Tropicana Field must be the most appealing thing next to watching paint dry.  Tamba will win the WS by a walk-off homerun of the catwalk
    Posted by nirree[/QUOTE]

They won't even win their first series.  They won't make it to the World Series this year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gareman2. Show gareman2's posts

Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

As a Sox fan since 1971, of course I am disheartened.  Even so, I agree with the title:  Last night was GREAT for baseball.  Actually, the past month was great for baseball with divisions and playoff spots uncertain down to the last, exasperated breath of a batboy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

hey tom  , one thing i have to ask, how is this a great night for baseball, we lost, or am i on a bad  acid trip. theres no good news for us sox fan till next april, only getting rid of the dead weight  starting with three halfs of this old fragile team, and of course the manager
    Posted by tang1[/QUOTE]

When the season ends with a last month and a night that is so unlikely and dramatic that Holywood would reject it, you have to step back and appreciate what happened.

As much as I like the Sox the drama was great for baseball.  

Maybe I am getting a bit too old to get too rapped up in what "our" millionaires did to Baltimore's millionaires.  If Lackey and Crawford had signed elsewhere and tanked like they have I would think it was great.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been eight years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Horrible night for Sox, great night for baseball

great attitude tom

I said the same thing after gm 7  in 04 alcs

Horrible night for yanks, great night for baseball

and if you love baseball it makes the whole thing easier to swallow

Sections
Shortcuts