Horrific start for Josh Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Horrific start for Josh Hamilton

After 29 games, 131 plate appearances:

208/252/292 - 544 OPS

2 HR 9 RBI

37 K's

The 292 slugging percentage might be the craziest number of all.  Only 5 extra-base hits. 

For comparison, Mike Carp has 9 extra-base hits in 31 plate appearances.

Imagine what Hamilton would be going through if the Sox signed him and he had this start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Horrific start for Josh Hamilton

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

208/252/292 - 544 OPS

2 HR 9 RBI

37 K's

The 292 slugging percentage might be the craziest number of all.  Only 5 extra-base hits. 

Imagine what Hamilton would be going through if the Sox signed him and he had this start.

Some of these guys are all over WMB whos in his first full year and still has to make adjustments. I can only imagine what paying 25M per for the next 5 years to someone whos 32 and has basically the same numbers as WMB. slightly higher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Some of that was entirely predictable.  I won't go into the stats, as it's been done before, but

• Weak home/away splits
    • Poor K/W in 2012
    • Bad finish to 2012
    • 32 year's old
    • Injury-prone

The Angels did the same thing as they did with Pujols.  It is almost like they just refused to consider whether his walk-year stats indicated anything.  His K-rate projected to 180 for 162 games, and that was last year.  If it weakened by just 10%, he's at 200 for the year.

And it is not like he is a bad player, but he simply is not one of the premier players.  And while I think he'll recover to a respectable .850, much like Pujols, that just isn't what you want to empty the bank vault for.

For all the crying about Papi by Bill, Softlaw, and Jackbu, Papi is likely to have a higher OPS over the next two years than either Hamilton or Pujols, at almost half the cost.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Dude is killing my fantasy team (thanks JoeBreidey!).  

Hard to believe I was relying on Coco Crisp as my power hitting OF...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Yeah but Pujols and Hamilton will average 150 games eacch while Ortiz plays 125

thats not a fact. I agree that papi will get some days off, but JH has dealt with injuries the past couple years and has played over 140 games once in the last 4 years, 89, 121, 133, 148.

Before papi injury last year he played in over 140 games 3 of the prior 4 years, eclipsing 150 one year.

Pujols is the only one I would guarentee would play 140+ games. But then again both of those guys make twice what papi does for a lot more years. So for Papi to get even close to their production, or better it and play 130 games, would be good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That's still in the Sox favor.  And who would want 150 games of Hamilton the way he's going? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldn't want him if he was playing well either. I like him enough but he would never have held up here in Boston mentally or physically. Glad we didn't sign him.

agree 100%

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wouldn't want him if he was playing well either. I like him enough but he would never have held up here in Boston mentally or physically. Glad we didn't sign him.

I have faith that grown men such as Greinke and Hamilton are aware of the environments they can handle and would not put themselves at such a risk.  And I also believe that there is pressure with ANY MLB team, especially for players paid heavily to perform.  Just ask A-Rod, who insists he took PED's to live up to his ridiculous contract in Texas, a team no one associates with intesive media pressure for baseball players.

I think sometimes (or, to be honest all the time), Boston fans have a tendency to exaggerate the impact of playing in Boston on a player.    If Hamilton came to Boston and performed similarly to his 2013 numbers, fans would be screaming "HE CANNOT HANDLE THE BOSTON PRESSURE COOKER."   Well, he is struggling in the supposedly laid back Southern California atmosphere.  Can he not handle the Anaheim Pressure Cooker?

Sometimes guys just have bad seasons.  It happens, and can be unrelated to the fans/media.  The thought that Edgar Renteria, whose first language is not even Enlgish, was put off by the high pressure media, is a little bit odd to me.  He does speak English pretty well, but is clearly much more comfortable with Spanish.  I doubt he seeks out English media for anything when Spansh media is readily available nearly everywhere...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Pardon the fantasy question, but in an auction keeper league would it be fair to trade Seattle starter Hisashi Iwakuma (1.67 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, 5 QS, 37 K) with a $1 salary for Josh Hamilton with a $28 salary?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

208/252/292 - 544 OPS

2 HR 9 RBI

37 K's

Some of these guys are all over WMB whos in his first full year and still has to make adjustments. I can only imagine what paying 25M per for the next 5 years to someone whos 32 and has basically the same numbers as WMB. slightly higher.

There is a big difference between Hamilton and WMB: Hamilton is an established all star and is almost certain to turn it around. WMB has yet to prove anything of substance and may or may not be able to turn it around. No, I would not want Hamilton on my team, not at the price he commanded-but he WILL be productive this year. With WMB its 50-50.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

at least u don't have to depend on Adam Dunn

looking to upgrade 3B.... i have power OF'ers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Papi has averaged a lot more games than Hamilton over the past four years, otherwise you are correct.  Still, Papi averaging 133 games per year, and Pujols averaging 155 is not enough to warrant twice the paycheck.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Dude is killing my fantasy team (thanks JoeBreidey!).  

Hard to believe I was relying on Coco Crisp as my power hitting OF...

You're welcome.  Your friend Gio has literally lifted my entire team on his shoulders.

It was a perfect trade.  My guy can't hit and your guy can't pitch.

Sections
Shortcuts