Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

The Hot Stove League has officially begun. I want more of this:

soxgroup.jpg

Go Ben!

Where is Ortiz? Maybe taken picture. Or left for FLORIDA to get ready for next year.

And what does that mean ??????????????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jon Heyman/CBSSports      

Phillies targeting a big-time OF, will look at cruz, choo, ellsbury, maybe granderson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jon Heyman/CBSSports      

Nationals among teams that could look at ellsbury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

JonHeyman/CBSSports
    The Red Sox are planning to make the $14.1 million qualifying offer to shortstop Stephen Drew and first baseman Mike Napoli in addition to star outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Jacoby Ellsbury free agency: Red Sox OF asked for $130 million

By Marc Normandin @Marc_Normandin on Oct 31 2013, 10:58a +

The World Series is over, so, for the Red Sox' front office, it's time to start thinking about next year. One of the first items on the list for this off-season is the free agency of Jacoby Ellsbury: if the past is any indication, according to Buster Olney, Ellsbury is going to be in line for a huge payday that the Red Sox won't be willing to pay themselves.

Olney reports that Ellsbury's agent, Scott Boras, countered Boston's roughly $100 million extension offer with a $130 million deal following his MVP-caliber 2011 season, and the Red Sox declined. Following Ellsbury's down 2012, in which he was injured and ineffective, Boston came back to the negotiating table and submitted an offer similar to what would B.J. Upton would sign with the Braves that winter, around five years and $75 million. Now he has rebounded, and while the power isn't there like it was two years ago, he's one of the game's most significant baserunning threats, is still a productive, top-of-the-order threat, and is a plus defender at an up-the-middle position: Ellsbury is going to get paid, and likely not by Boston.

The Red Sox will submit a qualifying offer to Jacoby Ellsbury before the deadline, as it's the only way to recoup some value for losing him to another team -- Olney cites the Mariners and Rangers as the favorites, and that's no surprise, as both clubs have been chasing him for well over a year now in the trade market. The good news, though, is that Ellsbury won two rings with the Red Sox, and was an integral piece of both clubs. It's hard to ask for a player drafted and developed by an organization to do more for a team than Ellsbury has, and with that draft pick incoming, assuming he does bolt, he's not done giving quite yet

BYE,BYE Jacoby,  don't let the door hit you in the arrrrs on the way out.......  Ask Fred Lynn about baseball outside of Boston......  

Lynn was traded (and it was a decent trade as we got Frank Tanana in return)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

JonHeyman/CBSSports
    The Red Sox are planning to make the $14.1 million qualifying offer to shortstop Stephen Drew and first baseman Mike Napoli in addition to star outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

Thats what I would do. Love our GM.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

For me its a win, win situation for the Sox to give a QO to all our Free Agents.

Yep....I can actually see that happening.  There is no bad situation should they do that.

I disagree--Drew is not worth $14 M for one season. He will be looking for an increase and 2 plus years @ most likely $25M. He made $9.5 M on a 1 year deal to show he could stay healthy. Salty is in the same boat---If you make him a QO be ready for him to accept and be your catcher for a minimum of 3 years @ probably $36 M.
    Nap and Ells I would make a QO and take the picks.

Do you even understand how this works?  If you make Salty a QO and he accepts, that's it.  Game over.  1 year deal for $14.1 million.  How can you possibly have us stuck w/ him  @ 3/36 if he accepts the QO???

And if Naps accepts a QO then guess what?  You do NOT get any draft pick.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

Drew will come back to haunt us once again.... more 0-30 slumps and useless meaningless solo shots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to Stalino's comment:

Drew will come back to haunt us once again.... more 0-30 slumps and useless meaningless solo shots.

You apparently missed 90 per cent of the regular season because his defense was great and he had a lot of big hits.  He was the top offensive SS in the AL!  And that solo shot last night was not meaningless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

All teams that win the WS must make some changes. In 2005 the team tried to roll with Millar and Bellhorn and it failed... and it was obvious both should have been moved out after the WSC. Drew should be let go, and Napoli only brough back if he signs for 2 years or less. 

If Xander moves to 3rd and Drew comes back for one year than fine. However there is such a thing as having it all fall together. It won't happen again if you do not make adjustments at the most obvious of places - which is Drew (and Salty).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

How does it feel to have no brain?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

It is not about Drew it is more about how lame most of you are. You will all sit here and salivate over bringing back every player, extending Elles at all costs, hell you probably want the Sox to extend Lackey!

I don't think most of you have a single original thought.

Victorino you mostly scoffed at, why? Did anyone use their brain on this or simply go with what they heard on the radio? 

We got the best we could out of the players we had, and standing pat will not win another WS. If these guys come back growing beards again next year it will be over before it began for 2014.

There wasn't much "Cowboy Up" in 2005.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Yeah what team were you watching?? Drew started off slow but he played great defense and had a lot of key hits.... I for one hope they sign him for a few years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

A few years? Yikes. Hopefully the Yankees will grab him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

A few years? Yikes. Hopefully the Yankees will grab him.

I can't see making changes just for the sake of making them. However I agree on Bellhorn and Millar. I thought going into 2005 that neither of them belonged on the roster, at least not as starters. Nobody here can discount what Millar or Bellhorn did in 2004 to help us win, just as we cannot forget about Drew or Salty or Napoli or Gomes. 

Maybe Drew ends up being the player that stays... but I hope that at least 2 of the above mentioned are let go with fresh faces coming in. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I want the Sox to keep Ells, but I think he will be shooting for the moon, and I wish him luck in that.  He's been a great player for the Sox, but I really hope the Sox don't pay him what he wants.

Nap- He's been good.  The Sox have nothing in the pipeline for first (though there is always the possibility to move WMB over to first and Bogaerts to third.)  I am just not that strong on WMB right now.  Is he a gamer, or more in the style of a super platoon type player (I honestly don't know right now).  So I would like to see Naps around on a 2 year deal.   Drew - Same thing.  Bogaerts and WMB have questions.  

Drew needs to come back if possible.  Can Bogaerts play a high level defensive SS?  Or would have be better at the hot corner?  2-3 years for Drew if possible.  

Salty -  He's the best the Sox have, but he's not irreplaceable.  I think it depends on the money.  (And honestly I have not looked at who is going to be possibly available for catcher in the offseason)  

Also still want the Sox to sign Choo.  2 reasons as always.  Move Shane over to center.  Put Choo in right, and allow JBJ to get some platoon playing time, or injury callup time while he develops.  And second reason...  I WANT TO BE able to watch the Sox in Korea!!!  :D   That's my 2 cents.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Brian McCann and Choo, done deal!  Good-bye Dempster and find the best #5 we can within the organization. Done and done!

1) Choo

2) Victorino

3) Pedroia

4) Ortiz

5) McCann

6) Xander

7) Middlebrooks

8) Drew

9) Nava/Gomes

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Brian McCann and Choo, done deal!  Good-bye Dempster and find the best #5 we can within the organization. Done and done!

1) Choo

2) Victorino

3) Pedroia

4) Ortiz

5) McCann

6) Xander

7) Middlebrooks

8) Drew

9) Nava/Gomes

Oh.  McCann will be available.  Got to watch a lot of him when I lived in Atlanta.  I would be up for that, for sure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Thing about QO is that they are for 1 year. Less chance for long term failure, not counting injury. Then there is the Draft Pick Compensation, (1st 11 protected). You can really keep building your Farm with these kind of Free Agents.
    I cant see Starting Players on the Championship World Series Team wanting to accept QO. Its good that Management is willing to want them back, but the ball is in their Court.

Its a win, win.

Sox should Consider Beltran, if Ells leaves.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Choo - LF (20-20 guy with high OBP, one of the killer arm to throw out at home)

Victorino - RF (GG at RF)

Pedey - 2B

Papi - DH

Bogaerts - SS 

McCann - C (20+ HR, can shift to DH when Papi retires, McCann and Ross for SP)

Naps - 1B

Middlebrooks - 3B

JBJ - CF

Bench: Nava (1B/LF), Gomes (LF), Ross (C), Brendan Ryan (UTIL)

Lester-Buchholz-Peavy-Doubront-Lackey

BP: Workman, Britton, Bailey, Miller, Breslow, Taz, Uehara

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pawtucket Starting Rotation

Allen Webster

Anthony Ranaudo

Matt Barnes

Steven Wright

Rubby De La Rosa

Portland Sea Dogs

Henry Owens

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

For me its a win, win situation for the Sox to give a QO to all our Free Agents.

Yep....I can actually see that happening.  There is no bad situation should they do that.

I disagree--Drew is not worth $14 M for one season. He will be looking for an increase and 2 plus years @ most likely $25M. He made $9.5 M on a 1 year deal to show he could stay healthy. Salty is in the same boat---If you make him a QO be ready for him to accept and be your catcher for a minimum of 3 years @ probably $36 M.
    Nap and Ells I would make a QO and take the picks.

If they accept a QO its only for a year, they only have to be prepared for 1 year at 14M. Both of those 2 guys will be offered 3 or more years and will not take one year. I extend offers to all of them.

Both Drew and Salty should receive around 10M per.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:

I want the Sox to keep Ells, but I think he will be shooting for the moon, and I wish him luck in that.  He's been a great player for the Sox, but I really hope the Sox don't pay him what he wants.

Nap- He's been good.  The Sox have nothing in the pipeline for first (though there is always the possibility to move WMB over to first and Bogaerts to third.)  I am just not that strong on WMB right now.  Is he a gamer, or more in the style of a super platoon type player (I honestly don't know right now).  So I would like to see Naps around on a 2 year deal.   Drew - Same thing.  Bogaerts and WMB have questions.  

Drew needs to come back if possible.  Can Bogaerts play a high level defensive SS?  Or would have be better at the hot corner?  2-3 years for Drew if possible.  

Salty -  He's the best the Sox have, but he's not irreplaceable.  I think it depends on the money.  (And honestly I have not looked at who is going to be possibly available for catcher in the offseason)  

Also still want the Sox to sign Choo.  2 reasons as always.  Move Shane over to center.  Put Choo in right, and allow JBJ to get some platoon playing time, or injury callup time while he develops.  And second reason...  I WANT TO BE able to watch the Sox in Korea!!!  :D   That's my 2 cents.

I agree, If Ells signs elsewhere, Choo for a 3 year deal would be the right choice. That way we will have 3 guys that are capable of playing CF. Vic, Choo, JBJ, and even Nava in a pinch. Im not too high on JBJ right now and know there will be growing pains in MLB with him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

1) Choo

2) Victorino

3) Pedroia

4) Ortiz

5) McCann

6) Xander

7) Middlebrooks

8) Drew

9) Nava/Gomes

McCann is a little better than Salty offensively and they are the same player defensively. If hes getting a lot more than Salty I would reconsider BM. If they dont resign Salty, I look for a short 2 year stop gap and see what Vasquez, Swihart, and Denney do over that time. Sorry, Lava isnt a FT MLB Catcher IMHO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pawtucket Starting Rotation

Allen Webster

Anthony Ranaudo

Matt Barnes

Steven Wright

Rubby De La Rosa

Portland Sea Dogs

Henry Owens

Owens will be up to AAA early in the 2014 season and I think RDLR will end up in the pen. Thats a group of good young arms.

Workman deserves a shot at the rotation for 2014. They will move one or 2 of their starters this offseason IMHO. Demp, Peavy, Buch are all up for grabs. I think they are high on Doubie, so unless a good offer is made, he stays. Lackey is a darkhorse to be traded as well. With his friendly contract (basically 2yrs 16M), and his recent performance, he could bring back a nice haul for a team looking for a Horse that can go 200+ IP and is not phases by the bright lights.

Me, Id extend Lester, Keep Buch for at least 2014, Lackey, and Doubront. Either Peavy or Demp can go and I wont lose sleep. Workman will fit in somewhere too. Dont be surprised if this team has a bit of a fall off next year because of some kids starting their careers. Ben has some important decisions this winter for sure. I'll trust his judgement though.

Sections
Shortcuts