Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scott Lauber       

Cherington got more specific on search for another left side INF. "We need two guys to play shortstop," he said

[/QUOTE]

BINGO, and no, Holt should not be anything more than an emergency stopgap SS.

Getting a SS allows Bogey to be Middy's back-up at 3B.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

For hill

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1h

Glad to see Seattle'sTim Hevly win MLB's 2013 Fishel Award for PR excellence. Part of the reason scribes like Safeco Field.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

1h

@MDGonzales That and I like how he always checks in before leaving to make sure everything is ok. Old school.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Thanks ... a rare piece of positive news coming out of Seattle.

Embarassed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Embarassed

[/QUOTE]

Plus the Seahawks. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Embarassed

Plus the Seahawks. 

Even the Seahawks lost this weekend after their 11-1 start.

Despite sharing season tickets, I finally made it to my first Portland Trail Blazer game Saturday evening only to watch the 17-3 Blazers lose to Dallas on a last-second shot. I got home from the Blazer game only to read the bombshell Seattle Times piece on the Mariner front office:

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

Other than that, it was my typical fun weekend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Embarassed

Plus the Seahawks. 

Even the Seahawks lost this weekend after their 11-1 start.

Despite sharing season tickets, I finally made it to my first Portland Trail Blazer game Saturday evening only to watch the 17-3 Blazers lose to Dallas on a last-second shot. I got home from the Blazer game only to read the bombshell Seattle Times piece on the Mariner front office:

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

Other than that, it was my typical fun weekend.

[/QUOTE]

Can't win them all, but the Seahawks look like legitimate Super Bowl contenders. And, I applaud the Mariners for taking action to elevate their team, even though the deal for Cano seems excessive. It is good , for a change, to see the Yankees get one upped. Some dissension in the front office is not always a bad thing. It is not at all a bad time for Seattle fans. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peter Gammons - ESPN, Senior Baseball Reporter

Red Sox now feel a RH Rajai Davis/Denorfia alternative to Jackie Bradley doesn't fit roster. They need their CF to be an everyday player."..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo  

Mets still in SS market. Stephen Drew still in play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo   

Aj Pierzynski, who lives near Orlando stopped by winter meetings to have lunch. Said Twins offered 2 yrs but RS 2 good Oppty to pass up

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Rob Bradford - WEEI.com, Red Sox Beat Writer

One exec with team thought to be possibly linked with Drew still thinks SS lands back with Red Sox

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

If Drew returns to the Red Sox, which I don't necessarily oppose if the dollars are right, does that mean they're giving up on Middlebrooks? How would Middlebrooks get enough at-bats behind Bogaerts at third base? I don't think I like the idea of Drew returning unless Middlebrooks gets traded for something decent. Middlebrooks, to me, projects as a Mark Reynolds-type at worst: a low OBA, power-hitting homerun slugger. And those guys do have some value to a roster. It's important to have a homerun threat in the lineup. Right now, only Ortiz and maybe Napoli fit that description. I think a full year of at-bats for Middlebrooks would easily result in a 30+ HR season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Halos, D-Backs and Chisox working a deal......http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/angels-diamondbacks-white-sox-working-on-three-way-trade-at-winter-meetings?ymd=20131210&content_id=64539468&vkey=news_mlb

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Drew returns to the Red Sox, which I don't necessarily oppose if the dollars are right, does that mean they're giving up on Middlebrooks? How would Middlebrooks get enough at-bats behind Bogaerts at third base? I don't think I like the idea of Drew returning unless Middlebrooks gets traded for something decent. Middlebrooks, to me, projects as a Mark Reynolds-type at worst: a low OBA, power-hitting homerun slugger. And those guys do have some value to a roster. It's important to have a homerun threat in the lineup. Right now, only Ortiz and maybe Napoli fit that description. I think a full year of at-bats for Middlebrooks would easily result in a 30+ HR season.

[/QUOTE]

This is what I was wondering as well. Bogaerts and Middlebrooks should both be playing every day, and I don't see how they could if Drew was re-signed.

I wonder if the continued interest in Drew means they have a trade in mind for Middlebrooks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tigers, Rajai Davis Agree To Two-Year Deal By  Steve Adams [December 10 at 12:43pm CST]

12:43pm: Davis will earn an even $10MM over the life of the deal, tweets Nicholson-Smith

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is what I was wondering as well. Bogaerts and Middlebrooks should both be playing every day, and I don't see how they could if Drew was re-signed.

I wonder if the continued interest in Drew means they have a trade in mind for Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

If we sign Drew, I think Middy would be traded.

The most PAs we could give everyone, if he stayed (and Carp was dealt instead):

SS:  Drew 450 vs RHPs/100 vs LHPs  & Bogey 150 vs LHPs

3B: Bogey 450 vs RHPs/50 vs LHPs & Middy 150 vs LHPs

1B: Napoli 350 vs RHPs/150vs LHPs /Middy 100 vs LHPs/100 vs RHPs

DH: Papi 450 vs RHPs/150 vs LHPs & Napoli 100 vs LHPs

Total barring injury:

Papi 600

Napoli 600

Drew 600

Bogey 600

Middy 350

I can't see this happening, although an injury would give Middy all the PAs he could handle. (to any of Papi, Drew, Bogey or Napoli)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Trumbo's off the board.....

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the three-team trade that will send Mark Trumbo to the Diamondbacks is "done."

Finally some action from this week's Winter Meetings. We're still waiting on an official announcement, but Piecoro hears that Trumbo and two players to be named later will head to the Diamondbacks while the Angels will receive Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago and Adam Eaton will be sent to the White Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trumbo's off the board.....

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the three-team trade that will send Mark Trumbo to the Diamondbacks is "done."

Finally some action from this week's Winter Meetings. We're still waiting on an official announcement, but Piecoro hears that Trumbo and two players to be named later will head to the Diamondbacks while the Angels will receive Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago and Adam Eaton will be sent to the White Sox. [/QUOTE]

Great! I'm glad he is not coming here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo  

Pierzynski said he was on board with number of games mapped out to him by Red Sox. Wouldn't say what number was but Ross considered 60-gamer

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber - Boston Herald, Red Sox Reporter

Cherington has not yet met face-to-face with Scott Boras about Stephen Drew, but probably will before meetings end

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ken Rosenthal       

Tigers, #RedSox, Mariners have all been in touch with Dodgers about Kemp this week, sources tell me and jon morosi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo    

Too many "complications" to make a Matt Kemp deal work for the Red Sox according to an industry source, most notably recovery of ankle

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 13m

#RedSox have sold out six spring training games already. Sold 35,211 tickets last weekend.

You'd think they won the World Series or somethingTongue Out

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

So far Sox have the 29th, 39th, and 76th pick in the top 100 in this years Draft. Still could go up, and gain the 40th pick if Drew signs elsewhere. 3 picks in the top 50 after winning WS?

Nice job, Ben.

By the way the Cards have 4 picks in the Top 80. See how the good GM's work Free Agency and the Draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Matt Kemp trade rumors: Red Sox bow out of Kemp chase

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/12/11/5200218/matt-kemp-trade-rumors-red-sox-bow-out-of-kemp-chase

Nick Cafardo @nickcafardo Follow

Too many "complications" to make a Matt Kemp deal work for the Red Sox according to an industry source, most notably recovery of ankle

Jon Heyman         @JonHeymanCBS Follow

#redsox have determined matt kemp isn't a fit at this time.

1. Jayson Stark @jaysonst 1m

Dodgers have no plans to trade Matt Kemp, his agent says. More in just-posted news story http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/10120176/matt-kemp-remain-los-angeles-dodgers-agent-says 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 35m

As for Stephen Drew, Boras said he has multi-year offers that are contingent on the teams making other moves first.

HIS FAVORITE LINE

Sections
Shortcuts