Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

What’s next for Red Sox?  http://b.globe.com/HvWBnY "

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Choo - LF (20-20 guy with high OBP, one of the killer arm to throw out at home)

Victorino - RF (GG at RF)

Pedey - 2B

Papi - DH

Bogaerts - SS 

McCann - C (20+ HR, can shift to DH when Papi retires, McCann and Ross for SP)

Naps - 1B

Middlebrooks - 3B

JBJ - CF

Bench: Nava (1B/LF), Gomes (LF), Ross (C), Brendan Ryan (UTIL)

Lester-Buchholz-Peavy-Doubront-Lackey

BP: Workman, Britton, Bailey, Miller, Breslow, Taz, Uehara

I would be pretty happy with that....however I really do not want JBJ in center.  I'd feel better with Vic in center and Nava in left with Choo in Right. I also would like to see another power bat coming in.  Maybe a trade that includes WMB, JBJ and a young stud pitcher not named Owens could get us a very good power bat to play the OF or 1B.....who knows.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Try to stay away from Trades that include the word young. Especially when its your team thats trading the young guys. Thats why evaluations from Scouts, Coaches, and Player Development is so important.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Jacoby Ellsbury free agency: Red Sox OF asked for $130 million

By Marc Normandin @Marc_Normandin on Oct 31 2013, 10:58a +

The World Series is over, so, for the Red Sox' front office, it's time to start thinking about next year. One of the first items on the list for this off-season is the free agency of Jacoby Ellsbury: if the past is any indication, according to Buster Olney, Ellsbury is going to be in line for a huge payday that the Red Sox won't be willing to pay themselves.

Olney reports that Ellsbury's agent, Scott Boras, countered Boston's roughly $100 million extension offer with a $130 million deal following his MVP-caliber 2011 season, and the Red Sox declined. Following Ellsbury's down 2012, in which he was injured and ineffective, Boston came back to the negotiating table and submitted an offer similar to what would B.J. Upton would sign with the Braves that winter, around five years and $75 million. Now he has rebounded, and while the power isn't there like it was two years ago, he's one of the game's most significant baserunning threats, is still a productive, top-of-the-order threat, and is a plus defender at an up-the-middle position: Ellsbury is going to get paid, and likely not by Boston.

The Red Sox will submit a qualifying offer to Jacoby Ellsbury before the deadline, as it's the only way to recoup some value for losing him to another team -- Olney cites the Mariners and Rangers as the favorites, and that's no surprise, as both clubs have been chasing him for well over a year now in the trade market. The good news, though, is that Ellsbury won two rings with the Red Sox, and was an integral piece of both clubs. It's hard to ask for a player drafted and developed by an organization to do more for a team than Ellsbury has, and with that draft pick incoming, assuming he does bolt, he's not done giving quite yet

BYE,BYE Jacoby,  don't let the door hit you in the arrrrs on the way out.......  Ask Fred Lynn about baseball outside of Boston......  

And ......Mo Vaughn.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Pedey - 2B

Papi - DH

Bogaerts - SS 

Naps - 1B

Middlebrooks - 3B

JBJ - CF

I would be pretty happy with that....however I really do not want JBJ in center.  I'd feel better with Vic in center and Nava in left with Choo in Right. I also would like to see another power bat coming in.  Maybe a trade that includes WMB, JBJ and a young stud pitcher not named Owens could get us a very good power bat to play the OF or 1B.....who knows.

I'm fine with JBJ in CF as long as we upgrade at other positions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Pedey - 2B

Papi - DH

Bogaerts - SS 

Naps - 1B

Middlebrooks - 3B

JBJ - CF

Take out Baily ...and replace with Eckersly...at least he's healthy..... Might have some cheese left.......

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Jacoby Ellsbury free agency: Red Sox OF asked for $130 million

By Marc Normandin @Marc_Normandin on Oct 31 2013, 10:58a +

The World Series is over, so, for the Red Sox' front office, it's time to start thinking about next year. One of the first items on the list for this off-season is the free agency of Jacoby Ellsbury: if the past is any indication, according to Buster Olney, Ellsbury is going to be in line for a huge payday that the Red Sox won't be willing to pay themselves.

Olney reports that Ellsbury's agent, Scott Boras, countered Boston's roughly $100 million extension offer with a $130 million deal following his MVP-caliber 2011 season, and the Red Sox declined. Following Ellsbury's down 2012, in which he was injured and ineffective, Boston came back to the negotiating table and submitted an offer similar to what would B.J. Upton would sign with the Braves that winter, around five years and $75 million. Now he has rebounded, and while the power isn't there like it was two years ago, he's one of the game's most significant baserunning threats, is still a productive, top-of-the-order threat, and is a plus defender at an up-the-middle position: Ellsbury is going to get paid, and likely not by Boston.

The Red Sox will submit a qualifying offer to Jacoby Ellsbury before the deadline, as it's the only way to recoup some value for losing him to another team -- Olney cites the Mariners and Rangers as the favorites, and that's no surprise, as both clubs have been chasing him for well over a year now in the trade market. The good news, though, is that Ellsbury won two rings with the Red Sox, and was an integral piece of both clubs. It's hard to ask for a player drafted and developed by an organization to do more for a team than Ellsbury has, and with that draft pick incoming, assuming he does bolt, he's not done giving quite yet

BYE,BYE Jacoby,  don't let the door hit you in the arrrrs on the way out.......  Ask Fred Lynn about baseball outside of Boston......  

And ......Mo Vaughn.......

Ellsbury's game should translate better to other parks than did Lynn's and Vaughn's.  They peppered that wall, Ellsbury not so much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Trading Dempster may not clear much as much cap space as one might think; they will need to find someone who will take on at least a decent portion of his salary.

A real concern is Buchholz. Now that the internet tough guys have crawled back into their caves, he can be discussed rationally. He had a legit shoulder issue, and that is always worrisome for a pitcher. Coupled on top of the broken back, that's now 2 injuries that can affect pitching (and are they related, i.e., did the back cause him to change his motion, even ever so slightly?).   How much can they expect/count on?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Hopefully Boston can find a taker for Dempster, Bailey, and maybe Morales/Miller where Boston can try to free up to 20 mm dollars  right there.  Then the payroll will go down from 125 to 135 mm dollars.

That is almost 50 to 65 mm dollars to spend on once the deals are made.  Then if they resign Drew, Napoli and Ellsbury which that could be a total of 46 mm dollars right there at the same time they could leave around 5 to 20 mm dollars left to sign few other players.  

I do not think Ben C will have a hard time for this winter.  He can move people around before or after signing two to three out of four top F/A's!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Hopefully Boston can find a taker for Dempster, Bailey, and maybe Morales/Miller where Boston can try to free up to 20 mm dollars  right there.  Then the payroll will go down from 125 to 135 mm dollars.

That is almost 50 to 65 mm dollars to spend on once the deals are made.  Then if they resign Drew, Napoli and Ellsbury which that could be a total of 46 mm dollars right there at the same time they could leave around 5 to 20 mm dollars left to sign few other players.  

I do not think Ben C will have a hard time for this winter.  He can move people around before or after signing two to three out of four top F/A's!!

Before we sign anyone, but after all arbs, we will likely be at about $145M. Add the $10M for player benefits and we will have about $35M to spend and stay under the luxury tax limit. That's not enough to fill all these slots with FAs, unless we trade someone or restructure Lackey's deal.

CF  Ellsbury ($16-20M/yr)

C    Salty  ($9-14M/yr)

1B Napoli ($13-15M/yr)

3B/SS  Drew ($12-14M/yr)

RP ???  (?$$$?)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

As I said during the season and still stand by it, I expect 10 less wins next year with Jacoby gone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A few points: The problem with trades is that the guys you want to get rid of are not the guys other teams want. Based on his salary and 2013 performance, Dempster is not going to be in demand.  The foreign free agent market must be looked at. A lot of talent out there.  For the most part, you have to spend to get a championship team. Don't get fascinated with small market teams having some degree of success. The Sox have money. It is all about spending it wisely.  It is usually a bad idea to trade young talent for old talent. These trades will usually come back to bite you. We are the World Champs. That should end the nonsense of " bridge years " once and for all. Do not take a step back. Finally, if you think the Yankees are suddenly going to get frugal, you are naive. The Yankees know only one way. Spend big to build the team. Sometimes , it does not work. But usually it does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Not that I believe Boras, but are there really 11 teams, who need a CF,  with more resources than the Red Sox ? 
    Teams with a lot of money to spend always have their own high priced players to worry about don't they? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Trading Dempster may not clear much as much cap space as one might think; they will need to find someone who will take on at least a decent portion of his salary.

A real concern is Buchholz. Now that the internet tough guys have crawled back into their caves, he can be discussed rationally. He had a legit shoulder issue, and that is always worrisome for a pitcher. Coupled on top of the broken back, that's now 2 injuries that can affect pitching (and are they related, i.e., did the back cause him to change his motion, even ever so slightly?).   How much can they expect/count on?

He has a 7.7 price tag next year and his value isnt that great presently as well. I dont think he will ever be a 200IP guy, but if Buch can give the team around 180IP, Im ok with that. He wont get the big bucks though. In 2015 he has a 12M price, then options for 13M and 13.5M for 16-17.

Buch just needs to realize that he can pitch through certain uncomfortable feelings and it not be that bad. Im not saying he did that this time or anything, just in general. Hes like JD Drew was, in that if he doesnt feel 100% he feels he cant play/perform. Thats just not true.

I agree, Dempster may very well be somewhere else next year.

2014 will be a sort of transformation with a lot of young prospects knocking on the door and other contracts expiring.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

They can just non-tender Bailey (Arb 3) Miller should make around 2-3M (Arb 3) and Morales (Arb 3) will be around the same price. They can ALL be non-tendered and offered lower deals OR sign them for whatever the arb number is for one year (2014).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Not that I believe Boras, but are there really 11 teams, who need a CF,  with more resources than the Red Sox ? 
    Teams with a lot of money to spend always have their own high priced players to worry about don't they? 

I believe Boras said that number included suiters for Ells AND Drew.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

CBSSports.com 2014 MLB free-agent predictions:

Jacoby Ellsbury

Heyman: Mariners. After winning second ring, he could get the big payday back in his home area. They certainly could use him.

Knobler: Phillies. Could he leave? Could they let him go? Yes. Desperate Phillies step up and sign him.

Miller: Cubs. They have money and need to show improvement in Year Three of the Wonder Twins, Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer. An Ellsbury-Theo reunion might even be forgiven by Boston fans still toasting a third World Series title in 10 years.

Mike Napoli

Heyman: Red Sox. Napoli seems to like it in Boston. I see him staying there.

Knobler: Red Sox. They face interesting decisions on the infield, but Napoli was a fit in Boston and wants to stay. They'll find a way.

Miller: Red Sox. He's been a perfect fit, wants to stay, the World Series karma is in full force and, besides, who else would take that beard?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jon Heyman/CBSSports      

ellsbury, garza & drew on y ankees menu (along w/ beltran, choo, mcann & tanaka).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

The Hot Stove League has officially begun. I want more of this:

soxgroup.jpg

Go Ben!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They can just non-tender Bailey (Arb 3) Miller should make around 2-3M (Arb 3) and Morales (Arb 3) will be around the same price. They can ALL be non-tendered and offered lower deals OR sign them for whatever the arb number is for one year (2014).

I think they offer all 3 arb, and then try and trade 2 of them to make room for some young pitchers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think they offer all 3 arb, and then try and trade 2 of them to make room for some young pitchers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

The Hot Stove League has officially begun. I want more of this:

soxgroup.jpg

Go Ben!

Embedded image permalink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peter Gammons        

Red Sox top 5 free agent targets http://wp.me/p3BWRG-1HV 

Sections