Houston has tied Sox 6/6 with 27 wins each

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Houston has tied Sox, 6/6, with 27 wins each.

Now I'm not discrediting the Astros but the $175 M payroll team honestly can't put a better team on the field than the Astros????? COM ON BenC and JF, JH, TW, LL----

Seriously a CF that ca't hit.

A RF that nobody wanted and will soon  be withe CF toying with the Mendoza Line.

A left fielder who would be a Pinch Hitter exclusively on the few  teams he would be on.

A Back Up catcher that is in the .180 range. 

A pitcher that has difficulty seeing the signs.

Bench players that wouldn't be on anyone else's 40 man roster this season: Hassan, Nava, Ross.

Is the current BOSTON RED SOX TEAM THE BEST 25 MAN ROSTER WITH ALL THE TALENTED PLAYERS???? IN AA and AAA THAT WE CAN PUT ON THE FIELD? 

This is a joke of a team---a 60 year Red Sox fan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Houston has tied Sox 6/6 with 27 wins each

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now I'm not discrediting the Astros but the $175 M payroll team honestly can't put a better team on the field than the Astros????? COM ON BenC and JF, JH, TW, LL----

You are the hammer that just hit the nail..........So true !!!

A RF that nobody wanted and will soon  be withe CF toying with the Mendoza Line.

A left fielder who would be a Pinch Hitter exclusively on the few  teams he would be on.

Bench players that wouldn't be on anyone else's 40 man roster this season: Hassan, Nava, Ross.

Is the current BOSTON RED SOX TEAM THE BEST 25 MAN ROSTER WITH ALL THE TALENTED PLAYERS???? IN AA and AAA THAT WE CAN PUT ON THE FIELD? 

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

One outfielder, 2 starting pitchers and 3 first baseman on the DL. Try not to forget about them during the Corey Brown worship.

The Sox need some bodies back, and need an upgrade in LF.  Right now, between injuries and ineffectiveness, the lineup is what it is.  But I honestly wonder if, at any point when you were typing that, you realized that of all the postion players you were complaining about, only 2 of them were starters.  And multiple complaints about the backup catcher?  Seriously? For someone who claims to be a Sox fan for 60 years, I wonder if you have ever seen a typical backup catcher before.

And Ross deserves a pass even if he hits .000.  Lester pitches terrific when he is behind the plate, and the guy had some very key hits in the World Series last year. 

Funny story - last October, a lot of and were excited, and we all knew that this year would have some kids and struggles.  A lot of people said "After 2013, they get a pass in 2014 in my book."

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to FriendsofFrazee's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One outfielder, 2 starting pitchers and 3 first baseman on the DL. Try not to forget about them during the Corey Brown worship.

The Sox need some bodies back, and need an upgrade in LF.  Right now, between injuries and ineffectiveness, the lineup is what it is.  But I honestly wonder if, at any point when you were typing that, you realized that of all the postion players you were complaining about, only 2 of them were starters.  And multiple complaints about the backup catcher?  Seriously? For someone who claims to be a Sox fan for 60 years, I wonder if you have ever seen a typical backup catcher before.

And Ross deserves a pass even if he hits .000.  Lester pitches terrific when he is behind the plate, and the guy had some very key hits in the World Series last year. 

Funny story - last October, a lot of and were excited, and we all knew that this year would have some kids and struggles.  A lot of people said "After 2013, they get a pass in 2014 in my book."

[/QUOTE]

Every team faces injuries. Stop with the excuses.

[/QUOTE]

Does every team have fans who list the backup catcher and utility players so high on their list of complaints?

Learn to read - this is the second time I have had to say this to you...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Funny story - last October, a lot of and were excited, and we all knew that this year would have some kids and struggles. A lot of people said "After 2013, they get a pass in 2014 in my book."

Cherington gets a pass this year, IMO. We are not going to win it all every year. That does not mean that I intend to refrain from venting here, or that anyone else should do so. Our GM has a lot of work to do this year and next. I expect we will return to being a relevant force in a couple of years, and probably before the Yankees do.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Take my RED SOX. Please."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Is Houston's entire team salary this year greater than Ortiz's?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I believe I stated last month, just wait until August 17th.  The Red Sox will be trying to avoid a 4 game sweep at HOME vs the Mighty Astros.  And by 5PM that Sunday evening you will see just how low the Sox have allowed themselves to sink.  Easily ahead of pace for a 100 loss season and officially tagged as the single most embarasing team one year following a World Series Title.  Don't believe me?  Go back and read the posts.  And if you missed it, I urge you once again to mark August 17th down on your calendars so you can witness history.  I will warn you to turn it of immediately after the last out is made unless you want to see a celebration of the other team on your home field because to the Astros, that will be the closet thing they get to a World Series Championship.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny story - last October, a lot of and were excited, and we all knew that this year would have some kids and struggles. A lot of people said "After 2013, they get a pass in 2014 in my book."

Cherington gets a pass this year, IMO. We are not going to win it all every year. That does not mean that I intend to refrain from venting here, or that anyone else should do so. Our GM has a lot of work to do this year and next. I expect we will return to being a relevant force in a couple of years, and probably before the Yankees do.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

The sox aren't expected to win the ws every year but with their payroll they should put a competitive team on the field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Depth chart. Have you heard of that Notin? They were walking Ortiz while deciding if Nap's finger was really a problem. I think that took 3 weeks. The night Victorino injured his hammy(most recently) it took a batter or two before someone brought it to JF's attention.

Is BenC going to make a move or allow the hitting fiasco in the OF to continue the rest of the season. There are changes he can make he lacks the courage to do it. Why is Hassan sitting on the bench when he should be DFA. How much longer will Drew be sitting on the bench? A $10 M signing that has befuddled JF who supposedly wanted him earlier. Sizemore is about the only OF they could get something for, that might be a Mid A  prospect. JBJ should be patrolling CF in AAA until he learns to hit. Gomes, as I said earlier, is a PH and no protection for Ortiz--Tell me you would not prefer to have someone else as a back-up catcher---if Lester needs him what will he do next year when he signs in NY or Seattle--demand that his caddy is signed to catch him? I would prefer to see Vazquez who might actually make contact and throw out some runners.

As I said at the outset this organization is a joke and living in the past.

JF and BenC---Workman is not a starting pitcher--Ranaudo is, Webster is. So what will you do when Buch and Doubront have healed---keep  RDLR, Ranaudo and Webster in AAA and go back to the same old same old??? Both JF and BC are reactionary. So we keep Mujica because BenC made a mistake signing him.

I haven't read anything to this thread that I consider an answer. Did BB crawl under a rock when Brady got hurt a couple of years ago? Next man up was his response.  When Gronk went down --next---you better be ready somebody will be there to take their place. They aren't looking for excuses----Notin says wait until people heal? That's not a winners mentality.

Let's see what happens when Houston comes to town---who cares what happens---We are talking $44 M vs. $162 M--Springer--there's a prospect--11 HR's by a rookie in about a month. Let's hear a reply with some meat that we all can chew on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Houston's entire team salary this year greater than Ortiz's?

[/QUOTE]

Good point --I guess it's about 1/3 as of 2014.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

When was the last time Houston won a world series???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OUCH!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

As a Sox fan I want to see the Sox win it this year and every year.

I honestly don't care about other teams and when they last won a WS. We have 102 games left, that's plenty of time to make up a 10 game  deficit. If BenC can do something to put  25 solid players on the field, that will happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

As a Sox fan I want to see the Sox win it this year and every year.

I honestly don't care about other teams and when they last won a WS. We have 102 games left, that's plenty of time to make up a 10 game  deficit. If BenC can do something to put  25 solid players on the field, that will happen.

[/QUOTE]

Like some other poster mentioned earlier, the SOX FO is anti dynasty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's your point?  Astro fans could be laughing just as hard with the sox payroll. Two out of the last three years they look like a triple A team.  Grateful for the championship last year and I love my sox.  The red sox GM job looks like it has a shelve life. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Depth chart. Have you heard of that Notin? They were walking Ortiz while deciding if Nap's finger was really a problem. I think that took 3 weeks. The night Victorino injured his hammy(most recently) it took a batter or two before someone brought it to JF's attention.

Is BenC going to make a move or allow the hitting fiasco in the OF to continue the rest of the season. There are changes he can make he lacks the courage to do it. Why is Hassan sitting on the bench when he should be DFA. How much longer will Drew be sitting on the bench? A $10 M signing that has befuddled JF who supposedly wanted him earlier. Sizemore is about the only OF they could get something for, that might be a Mid A  prospect. JBJ should be patrolling CF in AAA until he learns to hit. Gomes, as I said earlier, is a PH and no protection for Ortiz--Tell me you would not prefer to have someone else as a back-up catcher---if Lester needs him what will he do next year when he signs in NY or Seattle--demand that his caddy is signed to catch him? I would prefer to see Vazquez who might actually make contact and throw out some runners.

As I said at the outset this organization is a joke and living in the past.

JF and BenC---Workman is not a starting pitcher--Ranaudo is, Webster is. So what will you do when Buch and Doubront have healed---keep  RDLR, Ranaudo and Webster in AAA and go back to the same old same old??? Both JF and BC are reactionary. So we keep Mujica because BenC made a mistake signing him.

I haven't read anything to this thread that I consider an answer. Did BB crawl under a rock when Brady got hurt a couple of years ago? Next man up was his response.  When Gronk went down --next---you better be ready somebody will be there to take their place. They aren't looking for excuses----Notin says wait until people heal? That's not a winners mentality.

Let's see what happens when Houston comes to town---who cares what happens---We are talking $44 M vs. $162 M--Springer--there's a prospect--11 HR's by a rookie in about a month. Let's hear a reply with some meat that we all can chew on.

[/QUOTE]

Living in the past?  All the way back to 2013?  Apparently they have forgotten how imaptient their fans are.

Please tell me I don't have to explain why the Sox are keeping Mujica.  Please tell me that, despite his first 2 months being frustrating, you now why after 60 years as a fan.

Depth chart?  You're complaining about David Ross, who isn't even starting except when Lester pitches.  What skillset do you expect from a backup catcher?  Look around MLB, and you will find the good field/no hit model is not only common, it's the standard.  Know why?  Guess what you call a back up catcher who can hit?  A starter.  As for Ross next year, who cares? Like Lester, he is a free agent.  You might think in 60 years, you would have noticed that teams not only keep a non-hitting backup catcher on the roster, but that actually usually keep another non-hitting catcher in AAA, in case they need to call up a backup catcher.  If Ross got hurt, it wouldn't be Vazquez.  It would be Dan Butler.  The Sox won't let Vazquez rot on the bench 5 times a week. Vazquez isn't going to come up to be a backup catcher.  If he comes up this year, it will be a starter. 

As for the OF, the Sox can't do much until someone else is willing to make a deal.  It's not like they can go down to the MLB Office and fill out an order form.  I'd like to see an upgrade over Nava/Gomes, and have said so since last year.  But if they didn't go after someone this offseason, when the choices were the long term mega deals or the short term gambles, that left very little.  In my first "What Should We Do" post, I figured Carlos Beltran to be the best option, because he wouldn't be looking for some sort of 7 year $150mill team-crippling deal.  The Sox avoided him, however.

Know why Hassan is on the bench?  Because they need to do something about the OF, and until they get an external solution, they are trying the internal ones.  All the available internal ones, except for some odd reason, Bryce Brentz.

And while I agree Workman is probably not a starter, I disagree about Webster.  His stamina, even in the minors, was always pretty limited.  As for Ranaudo, he is more of a DL candidate and his 1.25 straight seasons with no DL don't fool me.  Honestly, he is their best trade bait when it comes down to giving up something that looks good and can get a worthwhile return, but will probably result in no loss for the Sox.

It is interesting you bring up Springer, a player the Sox never had a chance at so much as drafting, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Red Sox organization.  So you said Hassan needed to be DFA'd after he had played in all of 2 games.  George Springer went through all of April hitting .182 / .262 / .218 with 0 HRs and 19 strikeouts in 61 plate appearances.  How many games would you have let him play before you DFA'd him?

Hopefully it would be a non-issue, as Springer (unlike Hassan) was a first round pick and an highly ranked prospect per BA.  So was Bradley, who hit WAY better than Soringer in April (.244 / .310 / .353), yet you insist needs a demotion for offensive reasons.  So can we both safely assume you would have insisted Springer be demoted before April was out, and negated his huge month? Why do you think you could handle the slow start from Springer, when you couldn't handle a better slow start from Bradley?

Or is it that you have a one month grace period for prospects, and if they fail in a month, they need to go back to AAA?

Enough meat?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's your point?  Astro fans could be laughing just as hard with the sox payroll. Two out of the last three years they look like a triple A team.  Grateful for the championship last year and I love my sox.  The red sox GM job looks like it has a shelve life. 

[/QUOTE]

My point is you can't compare one organization to the other.  This isn't fully even Charingtons team yet, realistically it could take over 6 years to really evaluate a G.M. 

He can't control when guys under perform, not in the short run at least. After tasting failure after a WS win he's had ZERO offseasons and ZERO trading deadlines, lets see how he responds before we even start to judge the man. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's better---I think  we are moving in the right direction.

Brentz is on the DL but I have to say Corey Brown had a pretty good spring for the Sox but they, rightfully, kept JBJ and Size. My issue after 60 games JBJ has 59 or 60 K's, batting .200. He does have 17 RBI's which is somewhat amazing and has played superb "D." He should be hitting more to the opposite field instead of trying to pull almost every pitch---he could work on that and be back in Boston in a month.

There are some options: Travis Shaw is a 1 B and he had an excellent Ariz. Fall Season that carried over to Portland and he has been hitting pretty well at AAA.

Corey Brown has 9 HR, he is a LH bat. Brown's BA is about what Hassan's was at AAA(.220). He has had ML experience. He's not on the 40 just as Shaw is not on the 40--that's an issue but easily solved. DFA Hassan and move Buch to the 60 day DL. If you send Nava and JBJ back to AAA it will even things up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

August 17, 2014 - mark your calendars!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

August 17, 2014 - mark your calendars!!!

[/QUOTE]

Andrew between today and tomorrow the Sox could have a lower winning percentage than the 'Stros. We then head for Baltimore truly undermanned yes because of injuries but also becauese BenC is unwilling to be proactive. Billy Beane realizes there are hundreds of players available if the GM makes a smart move and is willing to think outside the box. The Twins are signing Morales---he'll play some 1 B and DH splitting both lineup slots with Mauer--brilliant.

If the Sox traded Drew to the Tigers some would say bad move---I would say smart move if they could find a way to get Rajai Davis that would be satisfying a need. Move Xander back to SS and when Nap comes back move Holt back across the diamond to 3 B. If we need to move Drew and Peavy, plus a prospect  for Davis and Smyly--whatever JF and BC feel we need.

The Tigers should win the Central and Drew , playing part-time for us, is not going to be an impact guy. Be daring BenC.