How about Ellsbury for Masterson and Choo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

How about Ellsbury for Masterson and Choo

Both Ellsbury and Choo are free agents after 2013, but Choo will likely be easier to sign for 2014.  Either could be traded at the all star break if the Sox are flopping around in the standings, but Ellsbury is likely to be slightly more valuable.  They goth will provide about the same power numbers although Ellsbury will certainly steal more bases.

Why would the Sox make this trade?  Get two semi-young players back for Ellsbury while his value is as high as it will ever be without signing an extension.  Choo is a quality fielding right fielder and Masterson (coming off a somewhat disappointing 2012) is young enough to recover either as a starter or a very expensive reliever.  Waiting until next season for either trading Ellsbury at the All Star break or getting a possible draft pick after the season will not bring equal value to Choo and Masterson.

Why would the Indians make this trade?  They would get the best potential player in the deal who plays a premium position and might play well again for Francona who always had Ellsbury's back in the tough times.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: How about Ellsbury for Masterson and Choo

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both Ellsbury and Choo are free agents after 2013, but Choo will likely be easier to sign for 2014.  Either could be traded at the all star break if the Sox are flopping around in the standings, but Ellsbury is likely to be slightly more valuable.  They goth will provide about the same power numbers although Ellsbury will certainly steal more bases.

Why would the Sox make this trade?  Get two semi-young players back for Ellsbury while his value is as high as it will ever be without signing an extension.  Choo is a quality fielding right fielder and Masterson (coming off a somewhat disappointing 2012) is young enough to recover either as a starter or a very expensive reliever.  Waiting until next season for either trading Ellsbury at the All Star break or getting a possible draft pick after the season will not bring equal value to Choo and Masterson.

Why would the Indians make this trade?  They would get the best potential player in the deal who plays a premium position and might play well again for Francona who always had Ellsbury's back in the tough times.

[/QUOTE]

Solid reasoning, Charlie, but the Sox don't seem to want to trade Ellsbury unless they are blown away (I agree), and my guess is the Indians are going to want kids if they move either player. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Solid reasoning, Charlie, but the Sox don't seem to want to trade Ellsbury unless they are blown away (I agree), and my guess is the Indians are going to want kids if they move either player. 

[/QUOTE]

we have 2 holes i nthe OF as it is. if you get rid of ells whos going to play CF? whos going to bat leadoff? best bet is to keep him for 2013 and make a run to resign him once he hits FA. if you trade him now theres no way he wants to come back once he hits FA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we have 2 holes i nthe OF as it is. if you get rid of ells whos going to play CF? whos going to bat leadoff? best bet is to keep him for 2013 and make a run to resign him once he hits FA. if you trade him now theres no way he wants to come back once he hits FA

[/QUOTE]

Im sure the Sox are well aware that Granderson is up after this year as well and the Yankees would have to at least be intrigued by Ellsbury's power in that ballpark.  He's a better all around hitter than Granderson and I'm not convinced the Sox are just going to let Ellsbury walk.  A lot can obviously change between now and next November... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im sure the Sox are well aware that Granderson is up after this year as well and the Yankees would have to at least be intrigued by Ellsbury's power in that ballpark.  He's a better all around hitter than Granderson and I'm not convinced the Sox are just going to let Ellsbury walk.  A lot can change obviously change between now and next November... 

[/QUOTE]

they've invested this much into him, they don't intend to just let him walk but they also don't intend to trade him away. they intend to re-sign him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Both Ellsbury and Choo are free agents after 2013, but Choo will likely be easier to sign for 2014. 

For what it's worth, Jacoby Ellsbury and Shin-Soo Choo both are represented by agent Scott Boras.

Choo has played in 334 games the past three seasons while Ellsbury has played in 250. Choo has been valued at 19.3 WAR* in 699 career games while Ellsbury has been valued at 18.7 WAR in 581 career games (half coming in 2011). Choo is 14 months older than Ellsbury.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ellsbury is better than Choo, but I'm not sure the difference is worth Masterson.  Plus they have Brantley playing CF for them.  I'm not seeing the fit for CL.  Not really seeing the fit for us either.  We replace a hole in RF for a hole in CF.  We add Masterson, but we already have #3 types, when what we really need is an ace.

If I were to go trade with CL, I'd probably be looking at Cabrera first.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ellsbury is better than Choo, but I'm not sure the difference is worth Masterson.  Plus they have Brantley playing CF for them.  I'm not seeing the fit for CL.  Not really seeing the fit for us either.  We replace a hole in RF for a hole in CF.  We add Masterson, but we already have #3 types, when what we really need is an ace.

If I were to go trade with CL, I'd probably be looking at Cabrera first.

[/QUOTE]

Joe,

I don't think Cabrera is a good fit here.  He's pretty bad defensively and he's got two years left on his deal.  I'd rather upgrade offense at other positions and let Iglesias have a shot.  Boegarts may be here before you know it as well..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Cleveland is not going to compete, ellsbury is useless to them. Plus they got Brantley, I believe, playing CF

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I believe that I saw something about a proposed trade with the Indians for both of these players on either Nesn or Comcast Sports, last night.  They didn't state who we would be trading for these players, but it definitely mentioned that the Red Sox were in trade talks with the Indians for Masterson and Choo.  I always liked Masterson, but he hasn't been very consistent since leaving the Red Sox.  I am not sure that he would be the solution to our pitching problems. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All we need to do is let Ellsbury be traded. Not a wise choice unless we have someone to take his spot. He is still our main (already mention) lead off man and deserves a chance to rebound from his injured plague season. I think he will do it this season.

I am going to repeat myself the Sox should talk to KC and see those rumours are true about putting Gordon on the trade block.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All we need to do is let Ellsbury be traded. Not a wise choice unless we have someone to take his spot. He is still our main (already mention) lead off man and deserves a chance to rebound from his injured plague season. I think he will do it this season.

I am going to repeat myself the Sox should talk to KC and see those rumours are true about putting Gordon on the trade block.

[/QUOTE]
    I am not sure that Ellsbury even wants to resign with the Red Sox.  I read many times that he has no interest in remaining with the Red Sox and wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I am not sure that Ellsbury even wants to resign with the Red Sox.  I read many times that he has no interest in remaining with the Red Sox and wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. 

[/QUOTE]

at the end of the day it is only speculation, and they only say that because boras is his agent and he encourages his guys to test the FA market. testing FA does not mean he has no intent to resign here. he just wants to get what hes worth. resigning prematurely may not necessarily get him what he is worth

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

How about Ells, Lavarnway, and one or two B+ level prospects (Owens and Cecchini maybe) for Choo and Carlos Santana and make Santana our 1B?  I think Sox can do better than Masterson.  It's always good to have two power switch hitters in the lineup.  Salty would be primary catcher with hit bat and bring up Butler to back him up defensively.  Santana would be perfect #3 hitter in this lineup and his power number should go up playing at 1B. 

Lineup would look something like Choo-Pedey-Santana-Ortiz-Middlebrooks-Salty-Sands(LF)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I believe that I saw something about a proposed trade with the Indians for both of these players on either Nesn or Comcast Sports, last night.  They didn't state who we would be trading for these players, but it definitely mentioned that the Red Sox were in trade talks with the Indians for Masterson and Choo.  I always liked Masterson, but he hasn't been very consistent since leaving the Red Sox.  I am not sure that he would be the solution to our pitching problems. 

[/QUOTE]

IMO hes a bullpen guy. LHH kill him and thats a bad thing in the ALE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree, 4 seasons In Cleveland 30-W  45-L  2012ERA 4.93,

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree, 4 seasons In Cleveland 30-W  45-L  2012ERA 4.93,

[/QUOTE]

LHH are batting about .300 off him with a ton of hits and HR...Hes best used in the pen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Cleve has very few assets. Surely if they move Choo, which I think they will, they will look to add players they can reasonably control for $$ and years. Ells does not fit this criteria.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Marlon Byrd is waiting by the phone. As far as leadoff, Choo's PAs were mostly from the leadoff spot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ellsbury for masterson and choo makes no sense for the sox, masterson is a number 4 starter tops. more like a 5 or a long reliever. Choo is a good player, but is not on ellsbury's level. not to mention that he is older than ellsbury as well. keep in mind ellsbury was a runner up for AL mvp a few short years ago. No way sox trade him for those two. the only guys i would want on cleveland are asdrubal cabrera and carlos santana, and maybe chris perez. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Choo is not Big League. I'd rather have Hunter!

Besides, too many LH bats already, need a RH.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Mike Axisa offers his take on Jacoby Ellsbury:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jacoby-ellsburys-three-outcomes/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'd be interested in Choo if it was a couple of years ago.  But the fact that he only has one year left on his deal, makes me luke-warm towards his value.

Choo is a great bargain for next year.  But its not like there are a ton of free-agents this year worth the price tag.  If we trade for Choo, we have a good affordable outfielder signed to a good deal.  But really....who cares.  Its not like they have a ton of places to apply the saved dollars.

Masterson is miscasted as a starter.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.