How about Giancarlo Stanton in the Red Sox OF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

How about Giancarlo Stanton in the Red Sox OF?

He is a big-time power hitter with a stong arm and he is young - 24 yrs old.  I would give Miggy, Bradly and a top prospect picher - like Webster or Workman or de La Rosa for him.

What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: How about Giancarlo Stanton in the Red Sox OF?

Cherrington has stated he has the resources to make any trade possible , the question then becomes are the Marlins a willing trade partner ? Everything I've read down here in Florida is they would listen , but their preference is to keep Stanton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

INTERESTING ......  Please don't trade Workman !!!  He is a keeper !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not a big fan of trading for Stanton, but that package looks light.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If Marlins dont start with Bogearts, they are stupid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

He is a big-time power hitter with a stong arm and he is young - 24 yrs old.  I would give Miggy, Bradly and a top prospect picher - like Webster or Workman or de La Rosa for him.

What say you?

Well I say if the Sox have "Miggy" we should just keep him, forget trading the 2-time MVP for Stanton after selling the farm to get him from the Tigers.

However, if you meant Middlebrroks (Middy), the Marlins would probably get better from other teams...plus IMO they'd want more prospects, like Cecchini, Brentz, .Renaudo etc to go with Bradley, and one of the pitchers you mentioned

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Think Bogaerts (another impact bat back) Doubront (4 years of control, MLB ready), one of Workman/Webster, and Cecchini/Middy.

Ill wait until hes 27 and a FA. That way we can see if all these little nagging injuries become a yearly thing for Stanton. Not willing to unload a lot of top prospects for him just yet. Now, if an extension could be had right away, then maybe. I still wouldnt give up all the names I listed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

riveting thread.... I guess Stanton will compete for the title with Masterson/Hanley

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How many games does Stanton play every year? How much is he going to cost in prospects?

99% of the trade proposals I see for Stanton are ridiculously too low. And QTY of prospect will never equal quality.  We could trade 4 of our top 10 prospects and will never hold the same value as Bogaerts.

Stanton also carrys a tool that is A large determining factor in arbitration so it's not like we are getting him cheap and cost controlled.

I really think we need to lay to rest these Stanton proposals.  Any package that would get Miami to the table would be an overpay and a horrible decision for Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

riveting thread.... I guess Stanton will compete for the title with Masterson/Hanley

king felix already won that battle.... no one will ever come close

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I have the same belief that Southpaw mentioned in that I think that I would wait a couple of more years to see that this guy has proven himself a little longer before trading so many of the Sox top ten prospects for him now.

He has already shown that he is possibly either a little bit brittle or, even worse, shown that he is somewhat tempermental and does not push himself because he is on a losing team that plays in front of 8,000 fans every night.

If he proves himself to be worthy of a big time long term contract in three years, he will only cost one draft pick (and, certainly, tons of money).  He then could be a nice addition to the Sox core of current young guys who will play in Fenway at that time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Adrian Gonzalez

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Adrian Gonzalez

i wasn't around prior to our aquisition of him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

He's on my wish list in a big way.  i do hear what SoxfanHugh is saying, but  lean to going after him now if the brain trust thinks he's a fit.  Four years from now we might be competing for his services with NY or LA-- or other such scenarios.  We have multiple chips now and extra depth in some areas like P, 3B, C on the farm and starting pitching up.  What we don't have is a young power hitter who is off first base.  Also, we don't know which of those farm products are going to help us in four years.  As Shakespeare said, "There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken at the flood..."  In other words strike while the iron's hot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

If Marlins dont start with Bogearts, they are stupid.

Red Sox will be stupid if they trade Bogaerts and a top pitcher prospects or workman.  These two are already going to be a star for the team.  Also Bogaerts is more likely to be a better player than Stanton!!

So that is why Boston will never trade either Bogaerts or Workman!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

He's on my wish list in a big way.  i do hear what SoxfanHugh is saying, but  lean to going after him now if the brain trust thinks he's a fit.  Four years from now we might be competing for his services with NY or LA-- or other such scenarios.  We have multiple chips now and extra depth in some areas like P, 3B, C on the farm and starting pitching up.  What we don't have is a young power hitter who is off first base.  Also, we don't know which of those farm products are going to help us in four years.  As Shakespeare said, "There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken at the flood..."  In other words strike while the iron's hot.

I can definitely see why you would like to see the Sox go after Stanton, but I'm not so sure how hot that iron is.  You have one GM, Dan Jennings of the Marlins, who keeps saying that Stanton isn't available and they are going to build around him, while you have another GM, Ben Cherington, who has a boss, Larry Lucchino, who says, "Ben values his young prospects as if they are his own children."

I know stranger things have happened, but I don't see it happening at all.  The Marlins would likely insist on Bogaerts, and the Sox wouldn't consider that deal straight up.  Despite the obvious talent with Stanton, he does have some question marks which have been beat to death on this board, and I don't think the Sox would deplete farm for an outfielder at this point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bogaerts has more value to us because of his ceiling, position played, and control years. A corner OF'er with questionable defense and an injury history who will cost the farm AND a lot of $$ for 3 years of arb is not smart business IMHO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Bogaerts has more value to us because of his ceiling, position played, and control years. A corner OF'er with questionable defense and an injury history who will cost the farm AND a lot of $$ for 3 years of arb is not smart business IMHO.

In three years from now, fans of another team may be starting threads on their message boards on packages they would send for Xander Bogaerts.....and we will laugh at most of them. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I know stranger things have happened, but I don't see it happening at all.  The Marlins would likely insist on Bogaerts, and the Sox wouldn't consider that deal straight up.  Despite the obvious talent with Stanton, he does have some question marks which have been beat to death on this board, and I don't think the Sox would deplete farm for an outfielder at this point.

And the Marlins would not consider a straight-up trade of Giancarlo Stanton for Xander Bogaerts.

Being a Seattle fan, I naturally avoid assigning the can't-miss label to a prospect.Embarassed

For that reason, I have avoided giving the can't-miss label to Seattle righthander Taijuan Walker, the pitching equivalent of Xander Bogaerts in terms of prospect stature.

Consider this:

Bogaerts and Walker were born seven weeks apart in 1992.  

In the 2013 preseason prospect rankings, Baseball America ranked Bogaerts No. 8 and Walker No. 18 while MLB.com Prospect Watch ranked Bogaerts No. 20 and Walker No. 5.  

Bogaerts made his MLB debut on August 20, 2013, and the rest of the season posted at WAR of 0.2, according to FanGraphs, or 0.3, according to Baseball Reference.  

Walker made his MLB debut on August 30, 2013, and the rest of the season posted a WAR of 0.5, according to FanGraphs, or 0.1, according to Baseball Reference.  

Following the 2013 season, MLB.com Prospect Watch ranked Bogaerts No. 6 and Walker No. 4 while John Sickels of Minor League Ball ranked Bogaerts No. 2 and Walker No. 4.  

I hope Bogaerts and Walker have long, successful MLB careers, but I don't consider either can't-miss at this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In three years from now, fans of another team may be starting threads on their message boards on packages they would send for Xander Bogaerts.....and we will laugh at most of them. 

Three years from now Xander Bogaerts could be an All Star or the player who should be been traded when he had value.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

How many "lets trade the farm for stanton" threads do we really need? It was the same thing wit Agon, he was gonna come here and hit 45 long balls a year and be the clean left handed Manny, I get that Stanton is great, if we get him for a reasonable package fine, but hes not coming this year more then likely. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Three years from now Xander Bogaerts could be an All Star or the player who should be been traded when he had value.

Blasphemy he will be the league MVP by then!!!!!.....then again he could have that type of bat and end up being injury prone and have a hard time staying on the field.

But you can't think like that, Bogaerts is the kind of player you bet on.  Xander Bogaerts don't grow on trees and "all things considered" the kind of player you want to build around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:

How many "lets trade the farm for stanton" threads do we really need? It was the same thing wit Agon, he was gonna come here and hit 45 long balls a year and be the clean left handed Manny, I get that Stanton is great, if we get him for a reasonable package fine, but hes not coming this year more then likely. 

I was thinking the same thing.  If its not HanRam it's king Felix, or Gonzo, and now Stanton.

But we got Gonzo, couldn't win with him and ended up not needing him to win a world series.  People always want to add that "franchise player" because they are so rare, but that franchise player will never be more valuable to the team who has him for 6 years before free agency.

In a few years from now (if not by next) Xander Bogaerts may be that exact kinda player we would covet.  So why trade for Stanton when you have your very own Bogaerts? 

We would have to pay 25/million a year to get a player who fits that mold in FA.  And while I'm normally against big contracts I feel there is a time and place for everything.  It's a lot easier to swallow a ridiculous contract at one position if you have a cost controlled stud at another.  Which is why if Bogaerts looks like the real deal I would fully embrace signing the best FA hitter to hit the market over the next two years....and with a clean bill of health that might be Stanton

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So ... is ot too early to start the "We need to trade for Mike Trout" threads, or do I have to wait another year?   And what year can I start the Bryce Harper Trade threads?   Too soon for Oscar Tavares?

A lot of these always seem to be based around the intolerable situation where some other team has a really good player.  Apparently Ben's job is to guard against that at all costs...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

So ... is ot too early to start the "We need to trade for Mike Trout" threads, or do I have to wait another year?   And what year can I start the Bryce Harper Trade threads?   Too soon for Oscar Tavares?

A lot of these always seem to be based around the intolerable situation where some other team has a really good player.  Apparently Ben's job is to guard against that at all costs...

The grass is always greener with some posters here

Sections
Shortcuts