How about Ryan Doumit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

How about Ryan Doumit?

I've always liked this guy.  Pirates released him, switch hitter... catches, can play first and RF in a pinch.

Injury problems like a lot of guys but he can flat-out rake when he's healthy.  I think if they could get him cheap he'd be a nice fit at Fenway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: How about Ryan Doumit?

Who?

No, seriously, so we should go after a guy the Pirates released? Has it really come to this?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to How about Ryan Doumit?:
    [QUOTE]I've always liked this guy.  Pirates released him, switch hitter... catches, can play first and RF in a pinch. Injury problems like a lot of guys but he can flat-out rake when he's healthy.  I think if they could get him cheap he'd be a nice fit at Fenway.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]  JUST WHAT WE NEED, ANOTHER UTILITY PLAYER WHO, WHEN NOT BEING A UTILITY, IS USUALLY HURT !!!   WHAT HAPPEN TO THAT ON BASE MACHINE,  J D DREW ?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: How about Ryan Doumit?:
    [QUOTE]Who? No, seriously, so we should go after a guy the Pirates released? Has it really come to this?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]Well there are always exceptions to this rather simple thought. The best signing the Rs made in many ears was Ortiz who was non-tendered by the Twins.

Now in this case Doumit is not considered to be a very good defensive catcher but non-tenders are often financial decisions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

That guy can rake when healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doumit has only had more than 305 PAs twice in his 7 year career. He's never had more than 465 PAs. He's not known as a good defensive catcher, has a 25% CS rate, a .334 career OBP (not bad for a catcher), and a .777 OPS.

His splits do not match up well with Salty who also hist RHPs much better than lefties. The same is true in RF.

Doumit vs RHPs: .798
    Doumit vs LHPs: .718

If we traded Salty, he'd match up well with Lava, but I don't see us ever using him in Fenway's RF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Doumit is one of those guys that gets moved on to the 15 day Abled List...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

A little education on the guy as it seems to be lacking, and I'd want him:

For the Pirates to keep him, they would have had to exercise options for 2012 AND 2013 at 7.25/8.25, respectively. That effectively prices him out of PIT.

05-07 He was 24-26 years old, and splitting time with another young catcher, Ronnie Paulino. He won the starting gig in 08 and hit .318 in 116 games.

Since then he had an OK 09 before getting hurt and logging only 75 games. He had a mediocre 2010 over 124 games, and was again hurt last year but hit .303 in over 70 games.

He'll be turning 31 in April, and no, his defense isn't great. But for 40-80 games splitting time with Salty? Yes please. It's not going to be Varitek, lots of people bash the idea, and that's fine...but who do any of YOU think should be the backup catcher? It's going to be someone. Lavarnway? Sit him on the bench for 2/3rds of a season? Always a brilliant idea with a developing player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Doumit has only had more than 305 PAs twice in his 7 year career. He's never had more than 465 PAs. He's not known as a good defensive catcher, has a 25% CS rate, a .334 career OBP (not bad for a catcher), and a .777 OPS. His splits do not match up well with Salty who also hist RHPs much better than lefties. The same is true in RF. Doumit vs RHPs: .798 Doumit vs LHPs: .718 If we traded Salty, he'd match up well with Lava, but I don't see us ever using him in Fenway's RF.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% with moon. He is injured way too much. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why are these people trying to bring in often injured pitcher or positional players. Does Boston had enough problems in the past two years?  Know that half (or maybe more than half) of the 25 man roster in the past 2 years have gone on DL.

Stop this.  We have Salty and Larvanway who both are healthy enough to catch full 162 games next season.  That is good enough for now.  

Let all of us try to focus on building a healthy 5 starting pitching staffs along with some bullpen help including the closer.  Then maybe work around with 3b, and DH due we all not sure where Papi is going.  If he leave, it is more likely that Youkilis will move to DH, and Boston will probably find a short term 3B.  Or find a right hitting back up OF to bat DH such as Cuddlyer or Willingham while Youkilis stays at 3B.  

If Theo is still currently a GM for Boston, he would sign anyone who is an often injured player!!....but now he is gone.  Ben isnt going to follow the same Theo's strategy!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Who? No, seriously, so we should go after a guy the Pirates released? Has it really come to this?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Seriously? That's the kind of insight we get here?  Do I have to list a handful of players who were released at some point by a weak team that turned out pretty good?

Obviously this is not a big money signing or a full-time C or RF.  I'm looking at some names that aren't in the Globe every day that might have some value... the guy is clearly a risk because of his injury history, but he's still relatively young and if you have seen him at all you would know he hits all day long when he's on the field. 

I think he'd be a nice cheap bottom of the roster piece to the puzzle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

He might be a good DH option, who can play a little defense in a pinch, if Ortiz signs elsewhere...