HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Re: HOW ABOT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........

In Response to Re: HOW ABOT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to HOW ABOT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : Let's not get carried away here. Although he has shown improvement, he has a long way to go to justify not re-signing Vmart.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

62-37, 3 games up.  Long way to go?  No.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to HOW ABOT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : Let's not get carried away here. Although he has shown improvement, he has a long way to go to justify not re-signing Vmart.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Not re-upping Vic had nothing to do with Salty.  If Victor could have been a full-time catcher going forward, the Sox would have ponied up for him.  But he was barely a catcher before, and he is certainly less now, and will be a vague memory of a catcher next year and the two after.  Vic's bat is nice, but it might be a little tough to get him some ups with Gonzalez and Ortiz in the fold, no?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I have been a fan of Saltys for years and he does have a strong arm BUT how is it a major league catcher cannot throw to 2nd and put it on the bag? We could do that in high school.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I have been a fan of Saltys for years and he does have a strong arm BUT how is it a major league catcher cannot throw to 2nd and put it on the bag? We could do that in high school.
    Posted by maxnsl[/QUOTE]
     yeah, it seems to be a lost art max ... though I am suspicious that 'we' were firing bbs to 2nd, putting it on the bag, better than today's major league catchers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW ABOT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ :  yeah, it seems to be a lost art max ... though I am suspicious that 'we' were firing bbs to 2nd, putting it on the bag, better than today's major league catchers.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

All it takes is a little extra time and hard work. Throwing to second base is like every other part of the game, everyone has their specialties, but there isnt anyone who can't improve with some extra hard work. This is one of those basics that isn't emphasized by teams enough, and therefore gets lost. It's like free throws in basketball; its a fundamental skill that even high school players can perform, yet many pros dont seem to have improved their skillset since then. The focus is all on batting, harnessing power, improving timing, learning signals and studying tentencies (rightfully so, since these will make or break a game more than a speedster taking second every 9 ab's), but its also something that just a LITTLE extra practice would go a LONG way towards improving.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW ABOT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : All it takes is a little extra time and hard work. Throwing to second base is like every other part of the game, everyone has their specialties, but there isnt anyone who can't improve with some extra hard work. This is one of those basics that isn't emphasized by teams enough, and therefore gets lost. It's like free throws in basketball; its a fundamental skill that even high school players can perform, yet many pros dont seem to have improved their skillset since then. The focus is all on batting, harnessing power, improving timing, learning signals and studying tentencies (rightfully so, since these will make or break a game more than a speedster taking second every 9 ab's), but its also something that just a LITTLE extra practice would go a LONG way towards improving.
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]

wags, i am in total agreement, as I said before.  To that end, it is clear to me that Salty is working on these fundamentals.  His thropws to second are getting steadily and more consistently more sound.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNB. Show RedSoxNB's posts

Salty is quitely becoming a very productive hitter, I like the way he drives the ball to all fields. For example the game Pap and Tek got the boot and Aceves lost the lead to a sac fly in extras it was Salty that kept the game alive with a high double off the monster that almost made it out before Ells tied it up. I cant wait till Salty gets to catch everyday in years to come !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........

In Response to HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........:
    [QUOTE] 4 RBI'S AND MAKING THEO LOOK SMARTER EVERY DAY.... WHAT SAY YOU ???
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

He is hitting the ball well.....defense is still rather suspect though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Not only nare WE getting to enjoy the fruit of Theo's trust, but I am hearing uncommon terms and attitudes by talking heads about Salty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW ABOT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : wags, i am in total agreement, as I said before.  To that end, it is clear to me that Salty is working on these fundamentals.  His thropws to second are getting steadily and more consistently more sound.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Agreed! He has certainly seemed to improve as the season has gone on, though only empirically; I have no stats to back this up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Salty isn't a defensive wiz yet by any means but neither was Tek his first few years in the league.  Theo wanted Salty for two or three years and appears to have made a good choice.  With Teks mentoring and getting a real chance to play more he has really done well. 

I thought Salty was capable of hitting 260 this season and also believe he will eventually have some nice "Tek" type years.  It's crazy how two years ago we had little to no options at the catching position and we now have Salty, Lavarnway and probably the best defensive catcher of all "Fed" in our system.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

In Response to Re: HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : we now have Salty, Lavarnway and probably the best defensive catcher of all "Fed" in our system.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

He may be nasty, but Fed is F'ed by Salty's solid season and Lavarnway's breakout bombfest.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : Salty isn't a defensive wiz yet by any means but neither was Tek his first few years in the league.  Theo wanted Salty for two or three years and appears to have made a good choice.  With Teks mentoring and getting a real chance to play more he has really done well.  I thought Salty was capable of hitting 260 this season and also believe he will eventually have some nice "Tek" type years.  It's crazy how two years ago we had little to no options at the catching position and we now have Salty, Lavarnway and probably the best defensive catcher of all "Fed" in our system.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I don't think he possesses good instincts behind the plate. He is still slow reacting to pop-ups aound the plate, and is inconstent blocking ball in the dirt (one time he'll does everything right, the next he'll try to back-hand or slap at it). And way too many PB's even when he's not catching Wake.
    I think he can improve, but it appears he has been concentrating more on the bat than the mitt!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : I don't think he possesses good instincts behind the plate. He is still slow reacting to pop-ups aound the plate, and is inconstent blocking ball in the dirt (one time he'll does everything right, the next he'll try to back-hand or slap at it). And way too many PB's even when he's not catching Wake. I think he can improve, but it appears he has been concentrating more on the bat than the mitt!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I agree. However, I think this is also the fault of his critics, media, coaches, and fans alike. If his BA/OPS was lower, people would be calling for his demise, even if he was much better defensively. I am comfortable with his defense as he works on the offensive game. When he feels comfortable at the plate, his skills behind the plate will improve more rapidly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW ABOUT THAT BOY SALTY.... THEO IS ONE SMART G M........ : I don't think he possesses good instincts behind the plate. He is still slow reacting to pop-ups aound the plate, and is inconstent blocking ball in the dirt (one time he'll does everything right, the next he'll try to back-hand or slap at it). And way too many PB's even when he's not catching Wake. I think he can improve, but it appears he has been concentrating more on the bat than the mitt!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Airbiike, Salty has a long way to go defensively "no doubt" but Tek wasn't exactly a defensive master either his first few seasons.  Look at these Stats .... 

1998 Tek had 18 PB
    1999 Tek had 25 PB
    2000 Tek had 14 PB
    1998/99 & 2000 Tek never hit over 270
    1998/99 Tek had 16 errors in only 215 games played

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Saltalamacchia, acquired in a trade with Texas last year, was a question mark when he began the season. Could he stay healthy? Would his defense hold up? And, with a .248 career batting average, could he hit well enough to not drag down this potent Boston lineup?

"Salty" has been strong, having caught 62 games, and has been solid enough behind the plate (throwing out 18 runners so far).

Offensively, after a slow start, .203 through May 13, he's hitting .259, .296 in his last 28 games.

"Been working every day on it, and I'm starting to feel good at the plate," Saltalamacchia said.

His defense, however, has been even more impressive.

Saltalamacchia raised his caught-stealing percentage to 24.6 when he threw out Felix Pie at second base Monday night. Maligned for throwing problems while with the Texas Rangers last season, he has improved in that area since April.

“He’s got a strong arm. He just needs to stay in position to show it,” Francona said. “That happens. When he gets himself in good position, it’s good. It’s never just the catcher. There were times where he pitched out and didn’t get people, which he probably should. But I think it’s both.