How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?

I think that it would be hard to have Selig give the Red Sox a (couple) player(s) or prospect (s), but it would be very easy to move the Cubs first round pick to the Sox for Theo.

Althogh there is no precedent in MLB history, there is precedent with the NFL for executives/coaches to have draft pick compensation conveyed.

BTW, Derek Jeter was the #6 overall pick in the 1992 draft (one score or twenty years ago).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?

In Response to How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?:
    [QUOTE]I think that it would be hard to have Selig give the Red Sox a (couple) player(s) or prospect (s), but it would be very easy to move the Cubs first round pick to the Sox for Theo. Althogh there is no precedent in MLB history, there is precedent with the NFL for executives/coaches to have draft pick compensation conveyed. BTW, Derek Jeter was the #6 overall pick in the 1992 draft (one score or twenty years ago).  
    Posted by Bigpapa1977[/QUOTE]

I don't believe teams are allowed to include draft picks in trades in MLB. I assume this would also apply for compensation related trades also, although the commissioner could overrule that for this case...but I don't think Theo would be happy with that since he is trying to rebuild his farm system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?

In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? : I don't believe teams are allowed to include draft picks in trades in MLB. I assume this would also apply for compensation related trades also, although the commissioner could overrule that for this case...but I don't think Theo would be happy with that since he is trying to rebuild his farm system.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

You are correct, teams cannot trade draft picks.  But, draft picks are moved every year as compensation for lost/signed free agents.  I am sure that Bud has the ability to move the pick to the Sox.

I think that Theo would be upset, but he should have been able to settle this issue months ago. Also, Theo is on record as saying that there shouldn't be any real compensation - so he is likely to be upset with any outcome.

I feel like it would much cleaner to just move a draft pick, rather than prospects (or ML players), without the input of the teams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe swap draft picks might be more reasonable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe swap draft picks might be more reasonable.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

#6 for #24?  Interesting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I like your thinking, Bigpara. That would seem to be the best way to resolve the standoff. Selig is not in a good position to compel a specific player or players to be moved from the Cubs to the Red Sox. He would be acting as a third party GM for an organization he doesn't know.

Losing a draft pick would make more sense. As you note, this is done routinely in the NFL, as compensation for trading coaches and executives. Draft picks can also be surrendered as a form of organizational punishment for violating league rules. That happens in both the NFL and NBA.

Trading a No. 6 pick might be too steep a price for a team attempting to rebuild its minor league operation. Is one year of Theo Epstein really worth the sixth pick overall? Maybe a 20th pick overall. I think a reasonable compromise would be to swap Boston's 24th pick with Chicago's 6th pick. That way the Cubs don't lose a first round pick but the Red Sox gain an advantage by moving up from No. 24 to No. 6.

The Commissioner is allowed to override any existing rules in "the best interests of baseball." He can definitely make this happen and it would be the least controversial, most objective way to resolve the issue because he wouldn't be picking any players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I didn't see Moonslav's post when I began to write mine. I guess poor minds think alike. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I emailed the Red Sox, Cubs and the Office of MLB my suggestion.  The Cubs have already responded:

Nate,

Thank you for contacting the Chicago Cubs.  Offering up our 2012 First Round pick for Theo is an idea I haven’t heard yet, and I like that you’re thinking a little out of the box. I can tell you, however, that this scenario is extremely unlikely for a couple reasons.

For one, teams place a ton of value on the First Year Player draft. Any first round pick is looked at as gold among every front office in the game. Now take into account that the Cubs have the sixth overall pick. There is a great chance (especially after bringing in scouting whiz Jason McLeod) that the Cubs could bring in a future superstar with that pick. Just look at some of the guys that were drafted with the 6th overall pick over the last 30 years:

Barry Bonds (1985)

Gary Sheffield (1986)

Derek Jeter (1992)

Zack Greinke (2002)

Ricky Romero (2005)

The Cubs would be devastated to lose the potential to draft at such a high slot. Now that the compensation issue is in Bud Selig’s hands, the final decision will come down to the Commissioner. Baseball teams are not allowed to trade draft picks, and Bud is not going to want to set the precedent that picks can be passed between teams in any sort of way. So, because he is making the decision, he’s not going to let that happen.

At the same time, he’s not going to let the Cubs get away with sending nothing. If I had to guess, we’re going to see a mid-level prospect sent the Red Sox way. Perhaps SS Junior Lake? Or RHP Rafael Dolis? Both are ranked among the team’s top ten prospects and would be (in my mind) the best the Red Sox would receive. Or maybe, they’d get a guy further down on the chart like LHP Jeff Beliveau.

Regardless of who is sent Boston’s way, we just want to see this issue resolved. Spring training is under a month away, and it’d be nice to know exactly what the team is heading to camp with.

All the best,

Evan

Wrigley Field Ambassador

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

The Sox have already got the compensation. Nothing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I would love to swap draft picks, but anything is to much for Theo where the Cubs are concerned.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Sox get a significant major league player, do sox take his salary as well or the Cubs still own him his remaining salary?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Draft picks are not allowed to be traded or switched in the MLB. although it would be a good idea...its against the CBA and league rules 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

The last player that the Red Sox chose in the top 6 of the MLB draft was Mike Garman (3rd overall in the 1967 MLB Draft).  He had a career record of 22-27 with five MLB teams.

Trot Nixon (#7 overall, 1993 draft) was the only other player drafted in the top 10 over the last 45 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boston_Red_Sox_first-round_draft_picks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Garman

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I like Moon's thought of swapping picks but since one is a top 10, I don't see it happening. Again, my thoughts are this will resolve itself before S.T. and no one from either side will be happy with the outcome.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

[QUOTE]All the best, Evan Wrigley Field Ambassador pretty cool that he responded so thoroughly  & quickly
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was very suprised that they responded at all or with anything other than "We appreciate your feedback, here is a link to buy Cubs tickets!"

To be honest Evan's rationale makes sense.  A swap of picks, though, may be more palpable for the Cubs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Would the Sox even want a top 6 pick? It is usually a ton load of money just for their signature.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Kudos for thinking outside the box.

I like the idea of swapping first-round picks if that's permitted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BVTsoxfan. Show BVTsoxfan's posts

I'm no expert on the collective bargaining agreement but I think I read that some
    draft picks can be traded per the new rules.  Maybe some wiggle room for Selig here.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/highlights-from-the-new-cba.html
    See #6....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I'm no expert on the collective bargaining agreement but I think I read that some draft picks can be traded per the new rules.  Maybe some wiggle room for Selig here. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/highlights-from-the-new-cba.html See #6....
    Posted by BVTsoxfan[/QUOTE]

Only picks from the competitive lottery can be traded.  They can only be traded during the off season, and they can not be sold for cash.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? : The Cubs have read this message board the last couple of years and given how lousy of a job you all think he did the Cubs think they should get compensation from the Red Sox for taking him. I do get a kick out of the biggest Theo bashers now getting upset that the Cubs won't give up their best prospect for Theo....things that you make me shake my head :-) 
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Actually, you would find I have reiterated repeatedly that Theo was the best GM the Sox have ever had. Not once, in any of my posts on this site, have I said that Theo "did a lousy job" putting us in position to win two championships.

So no, I am not "one of the biggest Theo bashers" thank you very much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Nice idea! Props for thinking "Outside the Box"   I wouldn't mind seeing this happen but I doubt Theo would want to part with a top 10 pic when they are rebuilding. Then again, who cares what Theo wants! I hope Selig comes up with a good descision soon! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I would argue that a swap of picks would be very fair to the Cubs as a #6 pick is NO guarantee of landing a superstar, and a #24 pick does not preclude such a possibility. 

That said, Selig has his list of names from each team.  All he has to do now is find a mutual name or two and settle it.  I expect that will happen by the end of the week.  A mid-level name and perhaps a low-level name that both clubs had on their list.