How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?

In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?:
    [QUOTE]Kudos for thinking outside the box. I like the idea of swapping first-round picks if that's permitted.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

It's Bud's call, so I'd think anything is permitted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?

In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe swap draft picks might be more reasonable.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    This makes sense. Lot of posters here believe RS would not get faifly compenstated. I've believed from beginning RS would get something of value, otherwise sets a terrible precedent for baseball. I'm actually happy its gone to comish's office. Really believe Cubs agreed to " significant" compensation, but once Theo in fold tried playing the McPhail type compenstaion card. But this idea makes sense and sure RS would agree to w/ how highly they value picks and Cubs would still have pick as well. Someone send this idea to Bud!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Word is that Bud has a list of names rfrom each team, so he may not even consider the pick swap unless a team mentions it. I suppose he could go to each team and say, "this is what I decided on a player. Would you rather get/give up this player or swap draft choices." If both teams agree to swapping the picks, he could go with that choice. 

I doubt it ever gets dicussed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

The Sox reportedly will receive a ML ready "significant player", Matt Garza would be in that category. Bud Selig intends to punish the Cubs for their heist of Theo and discourage other teams from stealing executives already under contract.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox reportedly will receive a ML ready "significant player", Matt Garza would be in that category. Bud Selig intends to punish the Cubs for their heist of Theo and discourage other teams from stealing executives already under contract.  
    Posted by chiefret[/QUOTE]
    A team already has the power to stop other teams from "stealing" executives under contract by denying the other team permission to speak with the executive about a job opening.

The Red Sox reportedly granted the Cubs permission to speak with Theo Epstein. As the the talks with Epstein progressed, the Sox still could have refused to release Epstein from his Boston contract. However, at that point the tooothpaste is already out of the tube.

I suspect the Cubs and the Red Sox both wanted new leadership and ultimately got what each wanted ... except the compensation piece.

Would Bud Selig consider punishing the Red Sox for haggling over compensaiton after granting the Cubs permission to speak with Epstein?

I don't think so, either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe swap draft picks might be more reasonable.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Sorry to disagree with you but the Sox giving anything to the Cubs is not reasonable,the Cubs got what they wanted. Now the Sox get what they want compensation.It's pretty much cut and dry!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? : A team already has the power to stop other teams from "stealing" executives under contract by denying the other team permission to speak with the executive about a job opening. The Red Sox reportedly granted the Cubs permission to speak with Theo Epstein. As the the talks with Epstein progressed, but Sox still could have refused to release Epstein from his Boston contract. However, at that point the tooothpaste is already out of the tube. I suspect the Cubs and the Red Sox both wanted new leadership and ultimately got what each wanted ... except the compensation piece. Would Bud Selig consider punishing the Red Sox for haggling over compensaiton after granting the Cubs permission to speak with Epstein? I don't think so, either.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]Well it was in a Cafardo article that a well placed Exec in the AL thinks that Selig will administer a decision against the Cubs to deter other teams from doing the same thing as the Cubs did which just for your information is considered Tampering like it or not! The Cubs had engaged in pursuit of Theo long before they sought permission from the Sox in fact out of the mouth of Theo himself came that information. Sorry but whatever Bud comes up with is going to be the final jeopardy answer Alex!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? : Well it was in a Cafardo article that a well placed Exec in the AL thinks that Selig will administer a decision against the Cubs to deter other teams from doing the same thing as the Cubs did which just for your information is considered Tampering like it or not! The Cubs had engaged in pursuit of Theo long before they sought permission from the Sox in fact out of the mouth of Theo himself came that information. Sorry but whatever Bud comes up with is going to be the final jeopardy answer Alex!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]
    I don't doubt that the Cubs ownership had internal discussions about Theo Epstein (and other candidates) before seeking permission from the Red Sox to speak with Epstein. Still, the Red Sox could have ended any pursuit by denying the Cubs permission to speak with Epstein. The Red Sox nevertheless granted the permission, presumably knowing the potential consequences.

The Red Sox can file a complaint with commissioner's office if the Sox think tampering took place. However, I doubt the Red Sox granted permission to a team the Sox suspected of tampering.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Nothing less then Castro...Surprised

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? : Well it was in a Cafardo article that a well placed Exec in the AL thinks that Selig will administer a decision against the Cubs to deter other teams from doing the same thing as the Cubs did which just for your information is considered Tampering like it or not! The Cubs had engaged in pursuit of Theo long before they sought permission from the Sox in fact out of the mouth of Theo himself came that information. Sorry but whatever Bud comes up with is going to be the final jeopardy answer Alex!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I read that artical, too - and when I did, I recalled a previous article from an unnamed  league source stating that the Commissioner probably will favor a lower-end compensation because he is against teams over-valuing front-office personel. Both articles can't be right - so which source has more credibility: the original source from the League office or a generic AL manager? Then again I believe a year of a franchise President - possibly the most public figure and rising star in all League front offices, the original Ivy League "Boy Genius" can be viewed outside the normal parameters. Rip 'em a new one, Bud!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? :  Then again I believe a year of a franchise President - possibly the most public figure and rising star in all League front offices, the original Ivy League "Boy Genius" can be viewed outside the normal parameters. Rip 'em a new one, Bud!
    Posted by TheRedStain[/QUOTE]
    Theo Epstein had some great moments in Boston, but the Red Sox failed to win a postseason game the past three season despite one of baseball's highest payrolls. Epstein's moves left the Sox without the payroll flexibility or prospects to make significant upgrades this offseason.

Epstein's star may have been falling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

I'm glad that some people noted that the #6 pick is far from certain, but at the same time that would be a bit a steep price to pay, even with a pick swap.

How about giving the Red Sox the "sandwich round" pick that the Cubs are slated to get in compensation for Carlos Pena? The pick is set to be #54, and the Sox have done very well in recent years with picks from the low first round to second round.

This way the Sox don't have to get a prospect they're not too fond of, but the Cubs don't have to lose a prospect they really like.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? : Theo Epstein had some great moments in Boston, but the Red Sox failed to win a postseason game the past three season despite one of baseball's highest payrolls. Epstein's moves left the Sox without the payroll flexibility or prospects to make significant upgrades this offseason. Epstein's star may have been falling.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Oh God, not this again...so the Red Sox make the playoffs, then have another playoff team that only didn't make it because they were rocked by injuries, and then had the most talented team in the league but were edged for the playoffs due to a clubhouse driven September collapse, and this is all the GM's fault? It wipes out that he brought:

-The first Boston championship in decades
    -Rebuilt an empty farm system
    -Kept the team competitive while doing so
    -Built a second championship team that was very different from the first
    -Presided over arguably the best long-term period in Red Sox history, that is a fantastic combination of farm system, major league spending, scouting, etc

And you wonder why he wanted out...

Meanwhile, you complain that his moves left the team without the ability to "make significant upgrades this offseason"? News flash: he didn't expect that the team would need major upgrades! AND IT DOESN'T. This is a championship caliber team (a reasonable SP addition would be nice, and pretty much round everything out), and to want major upgrades EVERY OFFSEASON despite already being competitive is to act like a Yankee fan and desire an All Star at every position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

[QUOTE] Nothing less then Castro...
    Posted by 56redsox[/QUOTE] The only Castro they'd get is that fidel guy in cuba

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about the Cubs 2012 First Round pick (#6 overall) for the Theo Compensation? : A team already has the power to stop other teams from "stealing" executives under contract by denying the other team permission to speak with the executive about a job opening. The Red Sox reportedly granted the Cubs permission to speak with Theo Epstein. As the the talks with Epstein progressed, the Sox still could have refused to release Epstein from his Boston contract. However, at that point the tooothpaste is already out of the tube. I suspect the Cubs and the Red Sox both wanted new leadership and ultimately got what each wanted ... except the compensation piece. Would Bud Selig consider punishing the Red Sox for haggling over compensaiton after granting the Cubs permission to speak with Epstein? I don't think so, either.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Sox did that to receive compensation.  Why would they do that if they knew nothing would come out of it? 

Sections
Shortcuts