How aggressive does Ben go to keep Ells, Nap, And Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: How aggressive does Ben go to keep Ells, Nap, And Drew

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Drew and Napoli and 60 million guaranteed will bring sad faces for whoever is foolish enough to guarantee it.

Fortunately, the RSN doesn't care.  As long as we get a draft pick, the salaries are someone else's problem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

I do not think that the Sox offer Drew or Naploi qualifying offers, and that they both become free agents.

Both will almost certainly turn down a QO of about $14M/1, so why would we not make the offers, if only to at least get the draft picks by making the offers?

Sox4ever

You think Drew turns down a 50% raise for one year?  He is looking atsybe $30mill over 3.  Why not get hslf in one?

I don't see why Napoli is a guaratee to reject either.

Sftet the troubles Bourn, Lohse, LaRoche and Soriano had getting deals after rejecting a QO, players won't be rejecting them so much.  I think MLB players have come to hate the QO as much a s NFL players used to hate the Franchise Tag. ..

[/QUOTE]

Agree. If Drew was offered $14M for 1, he'd take it in a heartbeat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Drew and Napoli and 60 million guaranteed will bring sad faces for whoever is foolish enough to guarantee it.

Fortunately, the RSN doesn't care.  As long as we get a draft pick, the salaries are someone else's problem.

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that if the Red Sox do give qualifying offers to all four of these guys, and they sign elsewhere, the Red Sox will have a severe problem with regards to the 'budget' allowed. Keep in mind that the budget does not go up. The Sox can spend more than the budget, but, they are taxed significantly for going over and if this ends up being the case, they end up spending a lot more for draft picks (an unknown) than they intended to.

Therefore, the assumption is they either won't extend QO's to all four or they will provide them a QO (Ellsbury and Salty for sure) knowing that if they do come back and accept  they will earn much less than what they would on open market. 

Salty will be signed. He will be their top priority.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/09/13/future-four-outlook-bright-red-sox-and-pending

Alex speier predicts Drew, Ellsbury, and Salty get QO and Napoli is a maybe.

Ellsbury and salty are no brainers.

Im sure the Sox are communicating with Drew and Napolis agent and have a good ideal what they would do.  The question isoils a team willing to give p a first rounder for Drew? Some would argue with his track record yes, but a lot more teams might've willing to part with their second rounder which would probably have to be one of the top 10 teams picking.

Houston

Miami

CWS

CHC

Minn

Mil

Sea

NYM

SFO

TOR x2

Its looking highly probable the Sox walk away this season with at least 3 picks between the 25-45 range in what is supposed to be a VERY deep draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that if the Red Sox do give qualifying offers to all four of these guys, and they sign elsewhere, the Red Sox will have a severe problem with regards to the 'budget' allowed. Keep in mind that the budget does not go up. The Sox can spend more than the budget, but, they are taxed significantly for going over and if this ends up being the case, they end up spending a lot more for draft picks (an unknown) than they intended to.

Therefore, the assumption is they either won't extend QO's to all four or they will provide them a QO (Ellsbury and Salty for sure) knowing that if they do come back and accept  they will earn much less than what they would on open market. 

[/QUOTE]

How is that a problem? if all four sign elsewhere someone else will be paying their salaries. And the budget I believe does go up to 189 million next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

No brainer? Salty has a career WAR of 6.2 and 5.5. He is a bad defensive catcher. He has never had an .800 OPS in his career while playing every season in hitters parks. And 14 million would make him the 3rd highest paid catcher in 2014 and by 1.5 million no less, behind only Molina and Mauer. 

He is having his best offensive season of his career[.788 OPS], however that is partly BABIP related[.361]. Giving him 14 million at this stage would probably be a gift of 3-5 million. A.J. Pierzynski had 2.9 WAR last season and recieved a 7.5 million dollar 1 year contract.

He still might get a QO, but it is hardly obvious. My prediction at this time is he won't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox will not be getting drat picks for either Drew or Napoli.  Only Ellsbury...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

No brainer? Salty has a career WAR of 6.2 and 5.5. He is a bad defensive catcher. He has never had an .800 OPS in his career while playing every season in hitters parks. And 14 million would make him the 3rd highest paid catcher in 2014 and by 1.5 million no less, behind only Molina and Mauer. 

He is having his best offensive season of his career[.788 OPS], however that is partly BABIP related[.361]. Giving him 14 million at this stage would probably be a gift of 3-5 million. A.J. Pierzynski had 2.9 WAR last season and recieved a 7.5 million dollar 1 year contract.

He still might get a QO, but it is hardly obvious. My prediction at this time is he won't.

[/QUOTE]

No way Saltalamacchia gets a QO.

An only one of Drew or Napoli, most likely Napoli.

And Ellsbury, who may have been offered his already...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

No way Saltalamacchia gets a QO.

An only one of Drew or Napoli, most likely Napoli.

And Ellsbury, who may have been offered his already...

I think they all will get qualifying offers, because if they all accept, it's not going to kill you.

Just my opinion.

Using career numbers for Salty doesn't work because he's a catcher and he's been on the upward curve. $14 million might be overpaying him, but it's only one year.

And Salty has come along way behind the plate. He's come a long way in handling pitchers and has improved defensively and throwing out runners. With not a ready replacement, Lavarnway IMO would be a drop off, I'd certainly give Salty a qualifying offer.

My guess is that it's moot and the Sox will re-sign him for three years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Is this a "qualifying offer"?

Offer Salty a 3 year deal:

$14M for '14, $8M for '15, and $8M for '16.

It is $14M for next year, but it really comes to $30/3.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Sox4ever

No it isn't. And if the Red Sox decide to keep him longer term, that could easily be their offer. I think even 4-44 would be a high end possibility. As you say, he isn't old.

Personally, I would not do any of those offers including yours because I am not a believer in his skillz, especially on defense and don't want to commit more then 2 years. But thats me. That doesn't mean the Red Sox disagree with me however. But if they do disagree, I still don't see the purpose of going up to 14 million for a season. I understand the idea of 1 year being better then long term and thats worth money. But not 3-5 million. Maybe 2 million tops. Is he a 12 million dollar, multy year catcher? If he has a great finish, maybe. Then its a borderline move to give a QO and I could change my mind.

I have come along on Salty to the point I am open to a short 1 or 2 year deal, based on the lack of great alternatives other then Ruiz and McCann. And Ruiz might prefer to stay where he is at. And somebody may outbid us on McCann. Then what? Also, I love Swihart and Vasquez, so 1-2 years with Salty might be a perfect time frame. And finally, there is something to be said for catchers knowing their pitchers and pitchers knowing their catchers.

However, their is also something to be said against keeping somebody around just because of familiarity and what your used too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

well I thought it was a no brainer, guess I was wrong.  Salty numbers are what they are, but what is the alternative? What is the market for catchers like? The catching market is empty after McCann.  You offer the QO because there's a decent chance a team is looking for an upgrade behind the dish, and salty provides that to some teams.  If he were to accept it we overpay for one year?

the sox have shown a willingness to overpay for one year vigilantes and if they wanted to sign Salty long term then a 1 year QO gives them leverage over other teams bidding for his services......it's a no brainer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

well I thought it was a no brainer, guess I was wrong.  Salty numbers are what they are, but what is the alternative? What is the market for catchers like? The catching market is empty after McCann.  You offer the QO because there's a decent chance a team is looking for an upgrade behind the dish, and salty provides that to some teams.  If he were to accept it we overpay for one year?

the sox have shown a willingness to overpay for one year vigilantes and if they wanted to sign Salty long term then a 1 year QO gives them leverage over other teams bidding for his services......it's a no brainer.

Yah, you are wrong. The better question is what the market will be like for a guy with 6 career WAR? Probably not enough to overpay to the extent a QO will be. Just my take.

The one thing you are right about is that a QO will kill his market completely. He will go nowhere if we offer him 14 million and the other teams have to give up a pick. I guess if you love Salty and his game and ignore all the defensive metrics and BABIP and BR WAR and his 6 years before this season, its an OK move.

I prefer two free agent catchers over Salty myself, so I think the market isn't totally baren. And there is always trades. Aswell as Lavarnway-Vasquez and Ross. Their might be a small chance that we can't sign McCann or Ruiz to a reasonable contract, and that Salty bipasses whatever the Red Sox offer, and that the Red Sox don't have a reasonable trade lined up for a solid catcher and that none of Lavarnway-Vasquez are not ready to start 90 games. But the alternative to taking that chance is nearly 5 million dollars IMO. I would take the chance.

So are you guaranteeing that the Sox will give a QO Hugh or that they would just be boneheadedly stupid not too?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

well lets just wait and see what happens, my money is on a QO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It appears the Sox have very little confidence in Lavarnway and Vasquez spent the entire year in Portland.  One has horrid defensive skill and the othe still has a lot of work to do defensively despite having a high defensive ceiling.   If the question is, what will the Sox do? I'd put money they'd be willing to overspend than trust some combination of Ross/Lavarnway/Vasquez.   Swihart is likely years away, Salty/Vasquez is a possibility in a few years and I will fully at crow if I'm wrong.....and I expect the same from others.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think they all will get qualifying offers, because if they all accept, it's not going to kill you.

Just my opinion.

That's my opinion as well.  The two guys where we have replacements, Ells and Drew, are the two guys most likely to reject a QO.  That's two picks.  Both Salty and Naps have had excellent years, and we have no replacement.  We could let them walk, but we'd still have to spend good money on a replacement.  And one-year deals are worth something of an oiverpayment anyway.

Using career numbers for Salty doesn't work because he's a catcher and he's been on the upward curve. $14 million might be overpaying him, but it's only one year.

I agree on this as well.  Citing career stats for someone who is only in his second full year is misleading.  If you ask the people at Fangraphs, they usually go back 3 years with more emphasis on the most recent.

I'd give all four of them QOs and not care if they took it or not.  I mean literally not care one iota.  No way Ells takes it, but for the other 3, if I picked up 3 picks, cool.  If all three signed and we kept the team together, cool.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Just my opinion.

That's my opinion as well.  The two guys where we have replacements, Ells and Drew, are the two guys most likely to reject a QO.  That's two picks.  Both Salty and Naps have had excellent years, and we have no replacement.  We could let them walk, but we'd still have to spend good money on a replacement.  And one-year deals are worth something of an oiverpayment anyway.

I agree on this as well.  Citing career stats for someone who is only in his second full year is misleading.  If you ask the people at Fangraphs, they usually go back 3 years with more emphasis on the most recent.

I'd give all four of them QOs and not care if they took it or not.  I mean literally not care one iota.  No way Ells takes it, but for the other 3, if I picked up 3 picks, cool.  If all three signed and we kept the team together, cool.

Exactly, it's a calculated risk.  It's not like we are handing out Carl Crawford contracts.  Worst case scenario we over pay to fill a hole for one year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Must be a lot of teams out there with more money to spend than the Red Sox. 

Kind of a drag to be a fan of a team which can't hope to sign anyone. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

It appears the Sox have very little confidence in Lavarnway and Vasquez spent the entire year in Portland.  One has horrid defensive skill and the othe still has a lot of work to do defensively despite having a high defensive ceiling.   If the question is, what will the Sox do? I'd put money they'd be willing to overspend than trust some combination of Ross/Lavarnway/Vasquez.   Swihart is likely years away, Salty/Vasquez is a possibility in a few years and I will fully at crow if I'm wrong.....and I expect the same from others.

For me Ross/Lavarnway/Vasquez is plan E. Here are the options.....

Plan A-Ruiz at a reasonable deal.
    Plan B-McCann at a reasonable deal.
    Plan C-Salty at a reasonable deal.
    Plan D1-Trade for player X D2-Trade for player Y D3-Trade for player Z. Not sure of all the possibilities in trade yet although I like Hanigan and he likely could be available so I will call him player X.
    Plan E1-Vasquez E2-Lavarnway E3-Butler

Thats about nine total options to find atleast a 90 game starting catcher. Seems something will work out. The most likely being Salty on a "reasonable" deal at less then 14 million.

On the point about Vasquez's experience, here is the experience from some of the starting catchers in baseball.....

McCann in bigs at 21
    AAA--NONE
    AA---48 games

Mauer in bigs at 21
    AAA---5 games
    AA---73 games

Molina in bigs at 21
    AAA---37 games
    AA---104 games

Perez in bigs at 21
    AAA---24 games
    AA---79 games

Martin in bigs at 23
    AAA---23 games
    AA---129 games

Posey in bigs at 22
    AAA---82
    AA---NONE

Wieters in bigs at 23
    AAA---39 games
    AA---61 games

Avilla in bigs at 22
    AAA---NONE
    AA---93 games

Castro in bigs at 23
    AAA---57 games
    AA---63 games

Rosario in bigs at 22
    AAA---NONE
    AA---175 games

Montero in bigs at 22
    AAA---36 games
    AA---111 games

Ramos in bigs at 22
    AAA---91 games
    AA---54 games

Zunino in bigs at 22
    AAA---52 games
    AA---15 games

Santana, Lucroy and Norris had 58 games or less in AAA aswell.

Vasquez will be 23
    AAA---1 game already
    AA---116 games

Vasquez has the third most experience in AA. One player with more skipped AAA[Rosario], the other[Martin] had 23 games in AAA. All 16 starting catchers above had less then 100 games in AAA. And 9 had less then 40 games. Three had none.

Vasquez is known for his defense. And Vasquez is known to be a proffesional hitter with plate discipline[48/44 BB/K rate this year]. I see no reason on paper he isn't ready early next season. And he is just plan E-1.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

If you ask the people at Fangraphs, they usually go back 3 years with more emphasis on the most recent.

If you use both WAR stats, use his last 3 seasons, prorate him out for the rest of the season by adding 0.2, and use a 3-2-1 weighted system, it works out to 2.125 WAR, which is worth 10.6 million dollars. I am cool with that offer for a season or even two. Big difference between 10.6 and 14.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is that a problem? if all four sign elsewhere someone else will be paying their salaries. And the budget I believe does go up to 189 million next year.

[/QUOTE]

There is a separate budget for draftees independant of the Major League salary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Sox4ever

Isn't the Qualifying offer defined as the average salary among the Top 125 players. Last year it was $13.3. I think it's only for one year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is a separate budget for draftees independant of the Major League salary.

Are you talking about bonus pool money?  Because for every guy who turns down a QO the sox would receive additional money,  that's how the Yankees had more money to spend this year than us.  In a draft that is supposedly the deepest it's been in years having more pool money would could really helprestock the minors. If there's a chance a player would turn down a Q.O. and/or it's someone who fills a hole I say go for it.  If they accept our draftee budget is not affected, if they declinit and sign elsewhere it is expanded. 

you are correct about the qualifying offer, it's a 1 year of an avg from the top 125 players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's a risk VS. Reward thing for me.  

If the Sox had to throw in 4 million dollars to trade Drew for a B prospect or a reliever if he accepted then thats a risk I'm willing to take when the reward is an additional draft pick and a larger bonus pool.  Under the new CBA draft picks and bonus pool money are much more valuable.

Id rather have the Sox take chances like that with their excess Cash rather than go out and over spend on guys like Carl Crawford or Josh Hamilton.  For a team that should be picking in the 25-32 range these are the risks I'd like my team to make in the new CBA era.

Its a calculated risk, and if the guy would fill an obvious need then there is very little downside in my eyes.   Picking 3-4 times between slots 25-45, that will gold next year.  Last time the Sox had a boat load of picks in a strong draft they made out pretty well (2011) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The risk is when you start shopping outside of your team. You know what you got and seen with the Players on your team. How they handle Boston, the media and the fans.
    I would resign Salty, he has improved every year. He is starting to become a Clutch hitter, which at the Catchers Position very important.

Sox make every attempt at resigning Ellsbury, till the last minute like Texiera a few years ago. Makes this team better, Victorino stays in right, (toughest field), dynamic 1 and 2 players leading off. And we know what we got.

Drew will do a Beltre, God Bless him, but its the X-Mans time.

Napoli wins everywhere he goes, weird but its true. Nothing in the Minors, and nothing in Free Agents, impressive enough for me. Resign him.

Remember Play-offs hasn't started yet, things get out of hand if any or all these Players tear it up on the Big Stage.