How bad has this 2014 offence been?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: How bad has this 2014 offence been?

Another word that's misspelled often is in the field of audiophiles. When music lovers write descriptions of their speakers, they  tend to refer to the bottom end as having very good BASE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

An offense against  G D and humanity but not in Canada, eh ?

You're right, I used the Canadian spelling.  I didn't know it would be such a sore point with someone.

[/QUOTE]

This team doesn't even have an offense, so it doesn't matter how the word is spelled. One could spell it C R A P.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No worse than your ability to spell offense.

[/QUOTE]

If you think that's bad, you should see the way he spells defense. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL Hi Kimmi.

How do you Americans spell 'fence', by the way? :-)

[/QUOTE]

Who cares about the spelling.  Of course I'm one of the worst spellers on the planet so I would say that!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no doubt this team has been downright pathetic offensively. I hear people blaming ortiz and his lack of production lately, but really the problem isn’t ortiz, is the fact that the sox FO put way too much expectations on him. Expecting a 38 yr old DH to carry your offensive is down right idiotic. As I said before the season, we can’t rely on ortiz/napoli to carry the offense, a 38yr old DH and a strikeout prone 1B who barely hits his weight and has a chronic hip condition. Look at all the good teams, they have 1-2 players in the middle of their lineups that they can count on to drive in runs. Detroit? Miguel cabrera, Giants? Posey/sadoval/pence Braves? Freeman/JUpton Angels? Trout/Pujols Toronto? Edwin/Bautista Oakland? Cespedes/Donaldson Washington? Harper/zimmerman Brewers? Braun/Gomez Cardinals? Holliday/Craig Dodgers? Puig/gonzalez/ramirez. Get the idea? Our middle of the order consists of pedroia/Ortiz/napoli, not one guy u can consistently count on to drive in runs. Thats where our problem is. Plain and simple. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Good stuff, last years 1st 2 batters, were real table setters too. Outfielders last year didn't hit many HRS, just played good ball, and had a lot of speed.
    Victorino has got to get back, we need a number 2 hitter, and hope Holt stays hot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Well, as I've said before (ad nauseum to some of you I'm sure), stop taking fastballs down the pipe and then swinging at sliders off the plate or around the ankles, inevitably resulting in weak ground balls or K's.  Pedey used to be a master at being down in the count 0-2 and still getting base hits.  He was one of the hardest guys in the league to strike out.  Not so anymore.  Change things up.  Don't be predictable.  I'm not saying swing at everything a la AJP, who refuses to take a BB even if it's being handed to him on a silver platter, but stop giving pitchers those 0-2 and 1-2 counts.   

And, of course, Papi has got to start going the other way.  Everyone's shifting on him, and he's hitting something in the neighborhood of .150 into the various shifts.  Last season we all marveled at his ability to hit to the opposite field.  How can he not see that he's killing this team trying to yank everything into the BP?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If it has seemed to you that this is one of the worst Red Sox offences you've ever seen, it turns out that it's not just your imagination.

At 3.91 runs scored per game, the 2014 team is on pace to being the second lowest-scoring Red Sox team since 1968, the Year of the Pitcher.  The only other team that was worse was the 1992 team.

In June, they have scored 47 runs in 15 games, an average of 3.13 per game.  But that includes the 10-run game.  In the other 14 games they have scored 37 runs, an average of 2.64 per game.

Since May 16, the Red Sox have had 3 separate 3-game stretches where they've scored 5 runs total, or less. 

[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but your spelling is bad also. It's offense.

[/QUOTE]
    Dude America is the only place where is spelt offense the rest of the English speaking world it is offence. Don't you think a guy with Halifax in this handle would spell like they do in Canada?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If it has seemed to you that this is one of the worst Red Sox offences you've ever seen, it turns out that it's not just your imagination.

At 3.91 runs scored per game, the 2014 team is on pace to being the second lowest-scoring Red Sox team since 1968, the Year of the Pitcher.  The only other team that was worse was the 1992 team.

In June, they have scored 47 runs in 15 games, an average of 3.13 per game.  But that includes the 10-run game.  In the other 14 games they have scored 37 runs, an average of 2.64 per game.

Since May 16, the Red Sox have had 3 separate 3-game stretches where they've scored 5 runs total, or less. 

[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but your spelling is bad also. It's offense.

[/QUOTE]
    Dude America is the only place where is spelt offense the rest of the English speaking world it is offence. Don't you think a guy with Halifax in this handle would spell like they do in Canada?

[/QUOTE]

That America spells it differently than the rest of the English speaking world is truly offencive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

According to Fangraphs, we are currently placed:

18th in OPS at .712

9th in OBP at .327 (.008 from 1st)

T22nd in SLG at .371 (.007 from 28th)

22nd in Runs scored with 274 (15 from 27th &15 from 16th)

27th in HRs with 50

24th in overall offense as computed for WAR at -34.4.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

According to Fangraphs, we are currently placed:

18th in OPS at .712

9th in OBP at .327 (.008 from 1st)

T22nd in SLG at .371 (.007 from 28th)

22nd in Runs scored with 274 (15 from 27th &15 from 16th)

27th in HRs with 50

24th in overall offense as computed for WAR at -34.4.

Sox4ever

[object HTMLDivElement].  That might indicate that SLG is more important than OBP.  Which is contrary to your opinion. The truth is, OBP is more important to some hitters, while SLG is more important to others. OPS is a contrived stat , obtained by adding SLG to OBP. Not only is there some redundancy in that, but it ignores other aspects of offense and run scoring and gives exactly equal value to SLG and OBP. How can they be exactly equal?  No matter what your preference, the bottom line of offense is , and always will be, scoring runs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

An offense against  G D and humanity but not in Canada, eh ?

[/QUOTE]

You're right, I used the Canadian spelling.  I didn't know it would be such a sore point with someone.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

When we aren't winning, all sorts of ugly little things boil to the surface.  It's too bad that one letter or one run would make so much difference.

I almost started a similar thread, but I figured I've been not been posting often enough that surely someone would do this.

I think the whole team is worn down from the longer season from last year and the emotional ties to the marathon bombing victims, both exceptional efforts by any standard.  The short off season plus the celebrating with the trophy almost wherever asked for  meant that some never rested.  Of course, Vic and Naps on the DL didn't help.    

Aside from the pitchers, only Holt, Bogey, and JD are performing well at the plate.  All weren't with us through the long season.  Bogey was with us in the end, but not the 162 game run ...

We always seem to worry about Papi and Pedey ...but they always come through in the end.

Workman and Rubby have been fresh ...

But then I'm drifting into pitching ...