How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks?

And to think David Wells said that you can't pull fat.

I heard he strained himself trying to eat a ham.

2 questions - 1) can a guy get tested for PEDs if he's on the DL?, and 2) will he be recovering in the Dominican? 

Ah, yeah, it was stem cells.  Yeah, stem cells, that's the ticket.

Stem cells sounds so much better than milk shakes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Is this a play on words?

Uhhh, it is a very, very BIG loss.  It is also a significant loss because of NY's lack of depth at SP.

If he is really only out 2 weeks, then they will survive those 3 starts, especially since inter-league play returns this weekend.  However, given his age, weight, and the nature of his resurgence, this will likely not be his last health concern this year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

slomag  ''If Colon thought he was acting legitimately, why didn't he tell the Yankees about the procedure? ''

why would / should he

he wasn't a nyy at the time

tony pena saw him in winter ball

and told the yanks to check him out

Maybe the Yankees should have asked him how he picked up 7 MPH on his fastball.

I don't think it went that way

he picked it up a little at a time

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks?

Well, given that he is a somewhat portly man, it should reduce the average weight of the active 25-team roster, unless he is replaced by another player of similar girth. 

As far as loss of performance is concerned, if it affects only two or three starts, it's probably not that big.  Remember who started the thread, so the question is more driven by wishful thinking rather than a fair guess and assessment of the situation.  But heck, I'm all for losses for the Yankees with or without Colon. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from repete43. Show repete43's posts

I have to believe the yankees will spend BIG to get a pitcher from someone.  I still like our chances to bury the yanks....but don't sell the short

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks?:
    [QUOTE] I have to believe the yankees will spend BIG to get a pitcher from someone.  I still like our chances to bury the yanks....but don't sell the short
    Posted by repete43[/QUOTE]

This is the real topic.  Who will the Yanks get to stabalize the rotation.  Colon has been an interesting story but it is pretty hard to bank on him if you are NY management.  Garcia can be effective but is way closer to a 4/5 starter than a 2/3.  Burnett has value but his inconsistency is real.  Hughes is just a ? at this point.  Nova might be a good back of the rotation guy but again, they need more than that.  Basically right now they have CC and a bunch of #4's (and Colon and the ticking time bomb that is his right arm).

So you know they are going to do everything they can to get a quality arm, not just for this year but because Colon/Garcia/Burnett is not exactly the makings of the future. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Yanks don't need to replace Colon; they'll just shoot some stem cells into the back of his thigh and voila, no more hamstring problems!

And Jete, the Sox have an innings guy in the minors who has had two very good starts on his rehab.  Oh, wait...The Yankees let him go, much like they did with Aceves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks? :      It was just a matter of time before the wheels fell off on the 37 year old Colon. Freddie Garcia is next.      If the Yankees wish to seriopusly contend, they must deal for a quality starter.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

The Yankees usually have a great deal of success with temporary fill in guys. This year may be different if Colon and Joba are both lost.  The biggest concern I see on the Yankees "even more so" as their pitching is their unusally low BA's.  Could be a rough road at some point if it continues.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

craze,  that is why I don't count them out.  They do usually have great success filling needs (even getting friendly trades when other teams should be looking to soak them), and those unusually low BAves. will likely correct themselves.  Once that begins to happen they will likely have a run much like the Sox are on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

If it weren't for the Religious-Right and the Bush years, the United States would be way ahead of the Dominican Republic concerning Stem cells. We lost 8 years of research. Ugh...Not to start some political arguement, but... facts are facts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]craze,  that is why I don't count them out.  They do usually have great success filling needs (even getting friendly trades when other teams should be looking to soak them), and those unusually low BAves. will likely correct themselves.  Once that begins to happen they will likely have a run much like the Sox are on.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

It won't surprise me at all parhunter.  I went to an early Sox game this season at Fenway with my wife which we won 4 zip.  Outside the stadium my wife was joking with a Yank fan about not expecting the Sox bad start to continue.  The Yanks fan response was the same due respect when he said they never count the Sox out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Every expert said his conditioning was bad, but he probably pushing 275lbs right now.  If he is out for longer then the 15 DL stint, they are in trouble.  Nova and Garcia now have to step up and play beyond their abilities.  Burnett is the key, he needs to get past the 6th inning and help that bullpen.

The Yankee babies are not ready, so its up to the scrapheap guys to pitch in for the time being.  A trade has to be in the works, but from what ive read there is only back of the rotation guys available.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFAN2. Show RSFAN2's posts

Re: How big of a loss is Bartolo (PED) Colon going to be for the Yanks?

In Response to Re: How big of a loss is Bartolo (PED) Colon going to be for the Yanks?:
    [QUOTE]There must have been some sort of PED involved in that.  There's no way that guy is doing this naturally I'm sorry.  From what I've heard, the doctor that did the proccedure is known for supplying HGH as well.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you, you don't get that much better after a long decline with surgery alone along with some "new sten cell treatment". We have a right to our opinion on a public forum and I think he's cheating. If it looks like a skunk ......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

emp9.  To you and me, facts are facts.  But to Bill and softy, facts are Left-wing propaganda from the Left biased media; only Limbaugh, Coulter and Beck are telling the "unbiased" truth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And, yes.  I too am supicious of Colon's great recovery at such an advanced age.  I also am suspicious of Bautista's remarkable power surge (reminds me of Sosa).  But, then, I have always believed Big Papi was the beneficiary of PEDs and only hope his resurgence is not some new, undetectable drug doled out by some DR doctor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

More moronic musings from Mongo, King of the non-sequitur and analytical absence.  That's right, I recall now..."yanke bad; rd soxe good." 

Colon pulled a hamstring; there appears to be little wrong with his arm at this point.  He is 38 by the way, not 37.

If there were anything nefarious about Colon's procedure, it would have been out by now.  The Yankees PR department has fired no repair-pinstripe-image salvos, so they appear satisfied that nothing is amiss.

And, the Yankees need not sweat, as their pitching - despite all negative prognostications - has been a strength.  They have plenty of arms to bring up from AAA for bullpen stints or for spot starts, even without Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Rafael Soriano, Pedro Feliciano, and Damaso Marte. 

And, the Yankees haven't even started to hit yet.  No player has consistently hit over .280 thus far.  They currently have no one close to hitting .300 BA.  Yet, they have not struggled to score runs.  As the weather heats up, so will their bats. 

What are the Yankees currently, two games back in the loss column after the Red Sox won 9 in a row?  Even the mentally challenged Red Sox fan knows Boston cannot maintain that pace. 

Yankees have depth and means, even with the injuries.  Players will step-up; they have been doing it all year thus far.

Go ahead...count them out.  I did not count out the Red Sox after their slow start; I love the constant panic mode of the Red Sox fan.  Lots of baseball remaining sports fans!  Stay tuned. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]It's funny how we can question Colon and Jose Bautista on this forum yet nobody brings up Big Papi who all of a sudden has regained his bat speed from 5 yrs ago. And please don't say it's all about "protection" in the lineup
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

Um, protection in the lineup?  Using the opposite field?  You're acting like he was a bum last year.  The guy still hit 32 HR last year.  Adrian Gonzalez has a HUGE part in this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It's funny how we can question Colon and Jose Bautista on this forum yet nobody brings up Big Papi who all of a sudden has regained his bat speed from 5 yrs ago. And please don't say it's all about "protection" in the lineup
    Posted by siestafiesta

Hasnt papi hit at least 30 every year hes been here? well except the 1 year he hurt his wrist and STILL jacked 28..For the record though, I have not accused ANY player of it. Only the ones that are proven guilty or are obviously guilty (see; Bonds/Clemens)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

What are some possibilities or legit starters out there that the Yanks are targeting? Definitely no big names out there or any pitcher that can be a threat to the Sox with the way Atomic Ortiz and Gonzo hitting (IMO). I don t also see any trade chips that they have to get a big name pitcher either nor any top prospects.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks? : Um, protection in the lineup?  Using the opposite field?  You're acting like he was a bum last year.  The guy still hit 32 HR last year.  Adrian Gonzalez has a HUGE part in this.

Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Right, cause agon is the only guy around that could teach big papi how to hit to the opposite field. Doesn't say much about the red flops coaching staff then, does it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Last few yrs for Fatolo:

2006 - 5.11 era
    2007 - 6.34 era
    2008 - 3.92 era
    2009 - 4.12 era
    2010 - MIA
    2011 - 3.10 era

Nah, nothing out of the ordinary there. Pitchers usually peak at age 38, lol.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How big of a loss is Bartolo Colon going to be for the Yanks? : Stem cells can be used to help a lot of people, they can be used to regrow damaged human tissue, the reason we don't research them has to do with the same debate that swirls around abortion. This is one area that the United States is behind in medically. Whether or not this doctor in the DR used them is beyond my knowledge, whether this type of procedure is currently possible is also beyond my comprehension, if with research a procedure like the one described would be possible I am sure of.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Maybe they should have injected stem cells in his entire totally out of shape body, so he wouldn't blow a gasket just running ten feet.

From what I read the research involves regrowth in labs and in small animals, not in reconstructing entire shoulders or elbows in human subjects!   It is specific to a cell type, i.e. brain cells. Elbows and shoulders are made up of many cells types: bone, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, muscle ... so there appears to be something else the doctor did to get Colon back in pitching form. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If there were anything nefarious about Colon's procedure, it would have been out by now.  Pass-the-hubris-please.

Right.  And the big hitters in the MLB executive offices have unrestricted all-pwerful investigative rights in a foreign country.  Now that is hubris, and you are ironic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

Must I explain...really?

MLB baseball asked for the medical records from Colon's physician, which required the written consent of the player.  Colon granted the request, even though he had no legal requirement to do so. 

No need for diplomatic intrigue or international conspiracy, Mr. Asperger. 

Moreover, the physician did more than send mere records.  He also sent a copy of the procedure performed, which was filmed.  Therefore, MLB was able to view the actual surgery on Colon's shoulder, as well as the rehabilitation and subsequent examinations.

Typical whining, crying, invent-anything for validation Red Sox fan.  Two championships, and still you search for crutches, just in case the season goes awry.

Remember, the Red Sox own the Yankees this season thus far.  What is it, won 8 out of 9?  And, yet...the horrible, old, overrated Pinstripers are but one back in the loss column. 

Sections
Shortcuts