How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky.

In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky. : moon - Scutaro has a mutual option ($6M club, $3M player) with a $1.5M buyout. Do you actually see them bringing him back? I guess depending on how the rest of the year goes, and if Aviles does okay, they probably won't sign him and just pay the buyout.  At least it saves $1.5M.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

only a moron would bring scutaro back.
    lucky for the SOX that they have theo; scutaro will probably be back.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky.

In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky. : Agree with you 100%.  I'd say wait till next year to see how it goes.  I would expect better numbers next year.  Even Teixeira didn't perform that well the 1st year with the Yankees.  If after next year his numbers don't improve, I'm on the bust bandwagon. I still think they overpaid by a bunch.
    Posted by Koolga[/QUOTE]

Texiera started slowly his first two years actually, wasn't much better this year. But gold glove, lots of RBIS every year. Switch hitter. Crawford is a totally different type of player.

As far as giving up on him, nobody is really doing that, I actually feel empathy for the guy, He strikes out , puts his head down and walks slowly back to the dugout. There is no place to hide, a very cruel game sometimes. I just hope that they don't start booing him adnauseum, that could ruin his psyche. 

The real issue was, he isn't what they needed, too expensive, too long of a contract. Great speed, no arm, bad hands, no plate discipline, never had a good OBP. Strange signing actually.

As for the premise, that Crawford hit Red Sox pitching, well that says something about Red Sox pitching, as much as it did about Carl Crawford's hitting. At least it says as much. If a hitter kills your pitching staff  and doesn't kill any other teams staff. DAH. Not rocket science.

An experienced hitter , that constantly swings at pitches above the letters and in the dirt outside has a major problem, if not corrected. A hitter with his experience should have gone through this phase years ago. Hopefully this is just a bad year. 

As far as those who say he was the best out their , for the money they paid him they could have bought Hunter Pence from the Astros, teams do accept cash , and a couple of prospects, you know.

They paid $50 million dollars for the right to talk to DiceK. They have no room for prospects as it is. Except pitchers, and then they have Lester, Buchholz, Beckett, for the next 4 years, not a bad thing . Just a hard team to break into. Lot's of veterans. Who are going nowhere, just like Crawford.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky. : Texiera started slowly his first two years actually, wasn't much better this year. But gold glove, lots of RBIS every year. Switch hitter. Crawford is a totally different type of player. As far as giving up on him, nobody is really doing that, I actually feel empathy for the guy, He strikes out , puts his head down and walks slowly back to the dugout. There is no place to hide, a very cruel game sometimes. I just hope that they don't start booing him adnauseum, that could ruin his psyche.  The real issue was, he isn't what they needed, too expensive, too long of a contract. Great speed, no arm, bad hands, no plate discipline, never had a good OBP. Strange signing actually. As for the premise, that Crawford hit Red Sox pitching, well that says something about Red Sox pitching, as much as it did about Carl Crawford's hitting. At least it says as much. If a hitter kills your pitching staff  and doesn't kill any other teams staff. DAH. Not rocket science. An experienced hitter , that constantly swings at pitches above the letters and in the dirt outside has a major problem, if not corrected. A hitter with his experience should have gone through this phase years ago. Hopefully this is just a bad year.  As far as those who say he was the best out their , for the money they paid him they could have bought Hunter Pence from the Astros, teams do accept cash , and a couple of prospects, you know. They paid $50 million dollars for the right to talk to DiceK. They have no room for prospects as it is. Except pitchers, and then they have Lester, Buchholz, Beckett, for the next 4 years, not a bad thing . Just a hard team to break into. Lot's of veterans. Who are going nowhere, just like Crawford.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

yeah, especially for theo, whose track record on free agent signings is nothing less than stellar.

however, i disagree on the 'booing part.'
    if the fans boo long and hard enough, perhaps crawford will resign from the SOX and go to a place more suitable for his 'talents', like seattle or back to tampa.
    by resigning, he would have to give up any remaining money the SOX would owe him.
    so, as i see it, booing is the only answer.

and whenever you see theo, throw him a nice boo also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

When the free agent list came out last November, I never even thought about Crawford. I thought Theo wouldn't be interested in another left handed bat. Besides that Johnny Damon was on the list, if they take any left-handed bat they will get Johnny back. Solid vet, likes playing in the fish bowl, big favorite in Beantown. Will hit 15-20 home runs. Be great in left field where he doesn't have to throw too much. Grab Johnny for a year or two, till the real deal comes along, maybe Albert , put him in left next year.

Those who say Johnny was too old, ever heard of Mike Cameron? The strike out machine who Theo gave $15.5 million to. At 37 they sign him to play centerfield, when they had Ellsbury. I think Theo drinks his own bath water some times really.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

End of the day we have 6 more years and the rest of 2011 to come to a decision on whether Crawford is, was or wasn't a bust. Those that have already buried him and branded him a bust, will cite his rocky start to his Red Sox career and like JD regardless of what the guys actually accomplishes, will forever be banished to thier dog houses.

I fall into the he's too good to continue to struggle and will find his stroke and once he does, will be the impact all around player we thought we were getting when we signed him...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky. :  yeah, especially for theo, whose track record on free agent signings is nothing less than stellar. however, i disagree on the 'booing part.' if the fans boo long and hard enough, perhaps crawford will resign from the SOX and go to a place more suitable for his 'talents', like seattle or back to tampa. by resigning, he would have to give up any remaining money the SOX would owe him. so, as i see it, booing is the only answer. and whenever you see theo, throw him a nice boo also.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

"nothing less than stellar" means "definitely stellar"

"nothing less than magnificient" means " definitely magnificient"

Are you sure that you want to praise Theo's free agent signings since that would be contrary to what you normally do?

Seattle and Tampa are spelled with capital letters as are all cities.

Sentences begin with a capital letter.

Sentences can't start with "and"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]When the free agent list came out last November, I never even thought about Crawford. I thought Theo wouldn't be interested in another left handed bat. Besides that Johnny Damon was on the list, if they take any left-handed bat they will get Johnny back. Solid vet, likes playing in the fish bowl, big favorite in Beantown. Will hit 15-20 home runs. Be great in left field where he doesn't have to throw too much. Grab Johnny for a year or two, till the real deal comes along, maybe Albert , put him in left next year. Those who say Johnny was too old, ever heard of Mike Cameron? The strike out machine who Theo gave $15.5 million to. At 37 they sign him to play centerfield, when they had Ellsbury. I think Theo drinks his own bath water some times really.

Cameron signing wasn't a bad signing, the guy had a sport hernia...injuries happen, the move of Ells to left was to allow Ells to stay fresh thus being able to be more aggressive on the base paths...That didn't work out so well, but it wasn't bad management....

Damon sealed his fate when he refused to allow the trade to the Sox from the Tigers at the end of last year...really if you take away the money's and you had the choice bewtween Crawford ot Damon without the advatange of hindsight...no one and I mean (except Zac) would take Damon....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

LOL BT

''johnny who''

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

[QUOTE]End of the day we have 6 more years and the rest of 2011 to come to a decision on whether Crawford is, was or wasn't a bust. Those that have already buried him and branded him a bust, will cite his rocky start to his Red Sox career and like JD regardless of what the guys actually accomplishes, will forever be banished to thier dog houses. I fall into the he's too good to continue to struggle and will find his stroke and once he does, will be the impact all around player we thought we were getting when we signed him...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I hope your faith is well rewarded. I for one do not share your optimism. However I have hope, that he will get it together.

The problem, I have is, that , it is not that he is hitting into tough luck, or he is getting bad calls, it's that he looks terrible against off speed stuff. And southpaws, forget it. Its not that he's a little off, he's way off. It's August the pennant race is on, if he is going to produce now is the time, to put up or shut up.

Even his hits, are bleeders , bloops to left, infield hits etc. Very few balls are hit hard, that's a worry. Can't get any worse, hopefully he will turn it around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]End of the day we have 6 more years and the rest of 2011 to come to a decision on whether Crawford is, was or wasn't a bust. Those that have already buried him and branded him a bust, will cite his rocky start to his Red Sox career and like JD regardless of what the guys actually accomplishes, will forever be banished to thier dog houses. I fall into the he's too good to continue to struggle and will find his stroke and once he does, will be the impact all around player we thought we were getting when we signed him...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Most people's instincts on the Drew signing was ugh. And based on Drew's 5 year career in Boston, 90% of people and writers out there would say it was a bust.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]It's not like they really replaced Renteria, they have had different types of guys with different weaknesses (Lugo, Alex G (my favorite defensively, solid), Scutaro, Lowrie)...potpourri. One day, the Sox will figure out they need a guy more like Dave Concepcion or even Mark Belanger, and concentrate on turning the position into a defense first-offense who cares spot. If C and SS can play defense, do their jobs, I don't care if either position hits .240. The other 7 can carry the lineup, but when you have CC and the RF hole, it just compounds problems. One day, Theo will get a SS who can be defense 1st and then keep him. Alex G was the perfect SS for the Sox.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Agree with you about Alex Gonzalez.  I have posted many times that I wish he was still with the Red Sox.  He was a great defensive shortstop and one of the best in the past few years. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Maybe he's just getting paid way too much money, and he knows it, his peers on the team know it, the fans know it, management knows it, opposing players know it, his agent probably even knows it (cha'ching). Living up to a contract like his ain't easy.  Pedroia seems OK that he allowed himself to get somewhat underpaid, and this guy does not seem OK being grossly overpaid. Its' gotta feel funny (weird) walking in the clubhouse everyday, after games, and having guys getting salareis 10x less than you (Ells, Reddick) or 3x less (Pedroia) carrying the team, and you, the $20M man, being essentially a dud. Tough to handle I think; I wish him the best, but hey, he asked for it (and Theo & Co. delivered).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

There is no doubt Crawford has not lived up to his contract by a long shot, but he just turned 30 so he still has some peak years to turn it around. I do think the pressure of living up to the contract in a new town has gotten to him. The two things that could turn that around right away next year is to preform exceptionally in the post season and for the Sox to win the Series.....with that he walks into next year pressure free and with many more fans on his side. Also as bad as his signing is to many of the regular posters here, many of whom were against it from day one, there were many also who advocated signing jayson Werth and he has been even worse than Crawford has, though I must give him the benefit of the doubt that he would be performing alot better in the deep Sox lineup than the pitiful nationals lineup. so it is not worth its own post, but I will ask here, would the Crawford detractors on this board, trade him today with 6 years 128mm remaing for J Werth with 6 years 116mm remaining. CC is 30...JW is 32.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky. : "nothing less than stellar" means "definitely stellar" "nothing less than magnificient" means " definitely magnificient" Are you sure that you want to praise Theo's free agent signings since that would be contrary to what you normally do? Seattle and Tampa are spelled with capital letters as are all cities. Sentences begin with a capital letter. Sentences can't start with "and"
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

hey,

thanks for reminding us how intelligent you are.
    newsflash: most posters on this board think you are a joke.

btw, i know you type with one finger; please be honest and tell us readers what you really are doing with your other hand.

oh, another thing genius, my praise of theo was sarcasm. deep thinkers like yourself don't recognize it.

and lastly, i'm pretty much the only person that replies to your posts, mainly because i truly feel sorry for you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe he's just getting paid way too much money, and he knows it, his peers on the team know it, the fans know it, management knows it, opposing players know it, his agent probably even knows it (cha'ching). Living up to a contract like his ain't easy.  Pedroia seems OK that he allowed himself to get somewhat underpaid, and this guy does not seem OK being grossly overpaid. Its' gotta feel funny (weird) walking in the clubhouse everyday, after games, and having guys getting salareis 10x less than you (Ells, Reddick) or 3x less (Pedroia) carrying the team, and you, the $20M man, being essentially a dud. Tough to handle I think; I wish him the best, but hey, he asked for it (and Theo & Co. delivered).
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

good post!

makes you also wonder how much theo is overpaid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]When the free agent list came out last November, I never even thought about Crawford. I thought Theo wouldn't be interested in another left handed bat. Besides that Johnny Damon was on the list, if they take any left-handed bat they will get Johnny back. Solid vet, likes playing in the fish bowl, big favorite in Beantown. Will hit 15-20 home runs. Be great in left field where he doesn't have to throw too much. Grab Johnny for a year or two, till the real deal comes along, maybe Albert , put him in left next year. Those who say Johnny was too old, ever heard of Mike Cameron? The strike out machine who Theo gave $15.5 million to. At 37 they sign him to play centerfield, when they had Ellsbury. I think Theo drinks his own bath water some times really.

What if they signed Damon and he developed a hernia over the winter, tried to play through it and was sub-par and then had the operation that put him onto the DL for most of the season? Would that have been a good investment?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]Theo is not expected to know whether a player will flop or not, it's all a bit of a calculated risk. However, fact 1. Crawford has a lousy arm. Usually outfielders that get $20 mil per year have a decent throwing arm. Fact 2. He never hit lefthanded pitching well. Fact 3. He was playing in almost obscurity in Tampa, totally out of the spotlight. Fact 4. he was coming off his career best year, and it didn't have superstar numbers. fact 5. The already had predominant Left handed line up needed a Righthanded power bat.  I don't make this stuff up, he was a bad signing. His play so far is not that of a bad signing, it is the play of a disastrous signing. His contract will block a roster spot for 6 more years. He signing was a huge mistake, time will tell exactly how bad it will stack up against other bad free agency contracts. My bet it's right up there with Mike Hampton. maybe worse, time will tell. He can't throw, his batting stance is a joke. He has no plate discipline ( they maybe able to get him to lay off unhittable pitches) You really wouldn't think they would have to train a guy the basics of hitting, when they signed him for $142 million . He has 29 extra base hits in 373 at bats, is that a fair sample? I think it is. Less than 15 stolen bases, 38 RBIS . If you don't think this cat is a bust so far, please put your head back in the sand.

We all agree that Crawford is a bust so far. That is unanimous. Nobody has their head in the sand. What is your point?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky. : We all agree that Crawford is a bust so far. That is unanimous. Nobody has their head in the sand. What is your point?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

your head is definitely not in the sand; but where your head actually is proves that you are double-jointed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

YAZZER, you've made your point about Crawford.

Repeating your displeasure to us won't make us all think like you do.

Also , I am not sure how you can say most posters think PawsoxPhil is a joke. How can you speak for hundreds of people you don't know?

He has a valid opinion and I don't see where he is disliked by anyone except you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How could Theo have known Crawford would flop? If you did, you were just guessing and lucky. : Most people's instincts on the Drew signing was ugh. And based on Drew's 5 year career in Boston, 90% of people and writers out there would say it was a bust.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Like you said 90% of writers and fans were disappointed with returns received on the Drew contract. What astonishes me is why this forum had so many threads and posts over the last five years on something that we were all in agreement on. Maybe some people preached to the choir and pretended there was a response.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ->The-Babe<-. Show ->The-Babe<-'s posts

[QUOTE]YAZZER, you've made your point about Crawford. Repeating your displeasure to us won't make us all think like you do. Also , I am not sure how you can say most posters think PawsoxPhil is a joke. How can you speak for hundreds of people you don't know? He has a valid opinion and I don't see where he is disliked by anyone except you.

Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

No zilla, pawsoxphil is pike aka your-echo and he is disliked by pretty much everyone he encounters, thus the need for the name changes. But he doesn't fool anyone. He some retired old geezer that fancies himself some sort of self appointed internet troll policeman.

Sections
Shortcuts