1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: How did the Sox do it?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We pulled off a minor miracle winning the ALCS.  If you're a Tigers fan you have to think they should have had us down 3-0, after being up 5-1 in the 8th in Game 2, and with us scoring 1 run in Game 3.  Instead they were down 2-1.

[/QUOTE]

But didn't Iggy help us out?

[/QUOTE]

Boy kim, you really know how to kick a man when he's down.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't kicking a man when he's down. That's been said on this board many times by many posters. When you said it was a miracle, and didn't even mention it, that was odd to me. It clearly helped us out.

So now that he's going to be out for most of 2014 we change the facts about things so as not to hurt his feelings? FTR I think his ego is large enough that he's not worrying what's being said on BDC about him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We pulled off a minor miracle winning the ALCS.  If you're a Tigers fan you have to think they should have had us down 3-0, after being up 5-1 in the 8th in Game 2, and with us scoring 1 run in Game 3.  Instead they were down 2-1.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but so true...

and our bullpen was killer.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Raider. It is true. That's all I meant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It's a lot harder to win when you are the favorite. Many champsionships are won by teams that weren't favored going into the season but got their mojo. We weren't an underdog by any means but we snuck up on this one which is an easier path I think than being a heavy favorite.

Other factors that helped:

- Dodgers trade (IMO the biggest factor and the spark)

- Our pitching was way better than it appeared, and Farrell helped to shift that as did the guys themselves (like a motivated Lackey getting into shape and changing his Boston legacy). 

- Papi defying father time

- Cherry signing hungry vets to relatively pricey BUT short term deals which other teams are now emulating

- Iggy :) 

- amazing clutch bullpen full of (good) surprises

- luck/right place, right time

For all those reasons I don't expect us to repeat. But the great thing about being a fan of this team right now is that as long as they play hard and give us a good year of baseball it's gonna be okay. 

p.s. interestingly enough despite the protests of some the "negativity" that sometimes appeared in this forum last season didn't affect anything on the field. The idea that our tone here somehow influences on field results is patently absurd and we saw that last year for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Hey, didn't Inglesias win a ring if the Red Sox won? A more deserving ring than if the Tigers won? Let's see, we can probably add the fact the team wasn't happy with him, and he probably wasn't happy with the team. Also, he seems to have a sense of self-entitlement about him. A guy who does whatever is in his best interest, not so much the team's -- like jumping in the air for routine plays and throwing off-balance. Or, throwing a fit because you're "sad". I have to admit, I've never heard of a guy doing that.

Sooooooo, he's starting the year on the DL, and isn't expected back until mid-year at best because of shin splints at 24. Ummmm....OK.

I'll predict the Tigers don't keep him, like the Sox didn't keep him, or at least remedy that situation as soon as they have the chance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey, didn't Inglesias win a ring if the Red Sox won? A more deserving ring than if the Tigers won? Let's see, we can probably add the fact the team wasn't happy with him, and he probably wasn't happy with the team. Also, he seems to have a sense of self-entitlement about him. A guy who does whatever is in his best interest, not so much the team's -- like jumping in the air for routine plays and throwing off-balance. Or, throwing a fit because you're "sad". I have to admit, I've never heard of a guy doing that.

Sooooooo, he's starting the year on the DL, and isn't expected back until mid-year at best because of shin splints at 24. Ummmm....OK.

I'll predict the Tigers don't keep him, like the Sox didn't keep him, or at least remedy that situation as soon as they have the chance.

[/QUOTE]

The Tigers aren't going to keep him because he has fractures of both shins?

Seriously?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Tigers aren't going to keep him because he has fractures of both shins?

Seriously?

[/QUOTE]

No. The Tigers aren't going to keep him for a myriad of reasons, but that's just my opinion. I guess you feel they will keep him, so we'll have to see who's right.

Btw, was he actually playing for years with shin fractures -- and jumping up in the air when not even necessary? Sounds painful, and by painful I mean probably impossible. Even walking or running around sounds painful. My feeling is the team isn't all that happy with him, and he's not all that happy with the team. There's definitely more to this story.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In the shins, no less.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No. The Tigers aren't going to keep him for a myriad of reasons, but that's just my opinion. 

And what are the myriad of reasons?  He's hit okay for the Tigers, fielded very well, and despite his error against us, still hit .357 against us.  The only issue I see is that he got hurt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

All those things going right, and all those guys doing better than expected last year is exactly what has me worried for this year. The chances of getting all that again are not good. The way I see it, it will only happen if the SP's stay healthy and we get breakout years from Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All those things going right, and all those guys doing better than expected last year is exactly what has me worried for this year. The chances of getting all that again are not good. The way I see it, it will only happen if the SP's stay healthy and we get breakout years from Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree, but I think there are a number of other things that could happen to offset the loss of Ellsbury or an increase in health issues over 2012.

I remember last spring, I thought we had absolutely no chance of even making the playoffs, unless Lester and Buchholz stayed healthy all year and pitched well. That didn't happen, yet we still won it all.

Here are some other possible significant upticks that could "make the difference":

1) Pedey: he had an OPS over .860 in 2010 and 2011. He's only 30. I could see an 80 or 90 point bump from his last year OPS of .787.

2) Napoli: he settled in nicely last year and has a career trend of spiking every 3 years. Guess what? This year is year 3.  2008- .960 OPS, 2011- 1.046 OPS, 2014- ???

3) LF: many look at Nava's 2013 season as a breakout or outlier type season, but I look at last year's overall LF numbers as below what they could have been had both Gomes and Nava not been forced into playing RF and 1B so much last year. Also, Gomes saw a huge drop-off in OPS vs LHPs. he had previously been one of the leagues best split hitters vs lefties. Nava has been a top split hitter vs righties for the past year or two. Nava nd Gomes totalled just 518 out of 680PAs in LF. Our overall LF OPS was .790 last year thanks in part to Carp's .904 OPS in 121 PAs in LF. Hard to repeat that? Probably, but these splits point to an opportunity to greatly improve on the .790 number:

Nava vs RHPs:

.894 in 2013 (20th best in MLB out of 244 hitters with 250+ PAs)

.860 2012-2013 (31st best in MLB out of 297 hitters with 350+ PAs)

Is it out of the question to expect an OPS vs RHPs of about .875 in 2014 and .840 overall, if his PAs vs LHPs are limited more than in 2013?

Gomes vs LHPs:

.904 OPS from 2010-2012 (33rd best out of 246 hitters with 250+ PAs)

He had almost the same PAs vs righties (176) as lefties (190) unlike 2012's 137-196 difference. He had an overall OPS of .868 in 2012 but dipped to .771 last year. Is it out of the question to expect an .875 OPS vs LHPs in 2014, and an .840 overall OPS, if his PAs vs RHPs are limited more than in 2013?

If this happens, we could see a 50 point OPS gain in LF.

I won't get into pitching upticks, but there are a few- headed by Buchholz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

No. The Tigers aren't going to keep him for a myriad of reasons, but that's just my opinion. 

And what are the myriad of reasons?  He's hit okay for the Tigers, fielded very well, and despite his error against us, still hit .357 against us.  The only issue I see is that he got hurt.

Then you're not paying attention. I've said everything in my posts. Let's just say I don't believe he's a good clubhouse guy. That seems to be a term that gets thrown around here alot. At least it does when we're discussing players who have been vital to our championships.

Sections
Shortcuts