How did we win it last year!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

How did we win it last year!!

i was amazed we won it last year. was one of those things were everything went perfectly at exactly the right time. For us to beat the Tigers - how the hell did this group (minus Jacoby) do that??????

Imagine how many better teams we had during the curse that did nothing. We should be thankful for last year!

"When I die Dublin will be written in my heart." - James Joyce

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: How did we win it last year!!

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i was amazed we won it last year. was one of those things were everything went perfectly at exactly the right time. For us to beat the Tigers - how the hell did this group (minus Jacoby) do that??????

Imagine how many better teams we had during the curse that did nothing. We should be thankful for last year!

[/QUOTE]

Not just Ellsbury.  Drew.  Salty.   Vic was healthier.  Nava had a career year.  Buck actually gave us 2 healthy, strong months. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Pitching, Clutch Hitting, and Defense. Anybody who doesn't put Pitching first, well what can I say. You had quality Starts from different guys, thus no long losing streaks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lots of luck and things fell into place.If anyone thought that coming out of spring training this year ,That Sox had a good team ,your living under a rock. Way to many question marks.Ownership knew this but they  were hoping for another round of luck. Sox stink and fans were fooled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lots of luck and things fell into place.If anyone thought that coming out of spring training this year ,That Sox had a good team ,your living under a rock. Way to many question marks.Ownership knew this but they  were hoping for another round of luck. Sox stink and fans were fooled.

[/QUOTE]

Well, they decided not to spend money and to hold onto their talent.  Next year they will save a fortune w/ Lackey and they need to dump Clay.  Then they can open up the wallets again.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Luck, good timing, and solid hitting w/risp...there was a new hero every nite it seemed...

As always - 100% correct!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

4 SP with FIP between 2.78 to 3.86 , this 3 of 5 near 5.0

Koji, Breslow, and Miller ERAs under 2.64

12 top hitters in PA only one had an OPS+ under 110 (WMB), this year 3 of top 12 over 110, and 6 of 12 are 80 or under.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, they decided not to spend money and to hold onto their talent.  Next year they will save a fortune w/ Lackey and they need to dump Clay.  Then they can open up the wallets again.

[/QUOTE]

Don't kid yourself.  If Buchholz is elsewhere next year, the Red Sox will be paying a significant portion of his salary which jumps to $12 million.  No one is going to take that on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

deleted, double post

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't kid yourself.  If Buchholz is elsewhere next year, the Red Sox will be paying a significant portion of his salary which jumps to $12 million.  No one is going to take that on.

[/QUOTE]

The "brain trust" on this forum would have you believe that Buchholtz is a "great value".  Just ask them! 

Well, they probably won't answer now that they've been proven wrong.  Again.  I warned them.  They know who they are.  These are the same folks who defended JD Drew and Carl Crawford and even Josh Beckett.  Oh well............

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

“Lots of luck and things fell into place.If anyone thought that coming out of spring training this year ,That Sox had a good team ,your living under a rock. Way to many question marks.Ownership knew this but they  were hoping for another round of luck. Sox stink and fans were fooled.”

And everyone said a lot of similar things like this last year, yet we won a World Series.

One thing most fans will never get is there is no “magic formula” for winning.  They think they can spot a winner, but really, all they do is count All Stars as if it matters. If they think a team is good and it fails, it wasn’t because they can’t spot a winner.  It’s the manager’s fault.  That’s it! Blame the manager!  And if they predict a loser who then wins, clearly it was luck.  No other possibility.  After all, baseball only has the longest regular season schedule in all of sports, so luck is a much, mch bigger factor than in other smaller sample size sports.

So you can look at the Sox roster and predict a losing season?  Did you look at the A’s roster after Parker and Griffin went down and think “their offense and Jesse Chavez will more than carry this team”?   Did you look at the Twins roster and think “definitely a wild card contender”?   How about the Rockies, who came in last in 2013?  I’m sure you saw their 2014 success coming, right?  And no doubt you saw the weaknesses in the Reds, Rays, Pirates and Indians, all of whom made the post-season last year, and are all under .500?

Don’t people who look at rosters and count All Stars think the Dodgers should be running away with the NL West?  They’re only half a game closer to their division lead than the Red Sox.

Or is it that you predict disaster in Boston every year, knowing that way you will either be right or pleasantly surprised?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's pretty easy to pick which teams will contend and which ones won't.

It's harder to pick which teams will be a surprise - good or bad.

And it's very hard to pick the WS winner.

But it is easy to determine the good teams from the bad ones on March 31st.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Of course there is a magic formula, it starts and ends with Pitching. You think that's why 8 out of top 10 picks in this Years Draft will be Pitchers. You have dominant Pitching your going to have a very good chance of having a winning record. Even the 69 Mets who couldn't hit a lick, won it all.

You have a team like the Tigers you think they will have a long losing streak? Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez. Why did the Braves win for years? Come on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

home cooking...Sox were tough at Fenway....surprised to see you guys are 7 games under .500 at home

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

home cooking...Sox were tough at Fenway....surprised to see you guys are 7 games under .500 at home

[/QUOTE]

What I find equally surprising is that outside of the AL East there are only three teams who are .500 or below at home and two of those are AT .500.  

It now looks like everyone is coming to the AL East, eating that team's lunch, and going home.  What happened to the AL East being the best division in baseball?

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What I find equally surprising is that outside of the AL East there are only three teams who are .500 or below at home and two of those are AT .500.  

It now looks like everyone is coming to the AL East, eating that team's lunch, and going home.  What happened to the AL East being the best division in baseball?

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

[/QUOTE] the balance of power has shifted to the Central a bit..though the A's are certainly throwing their hat in the ring

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course there is a magic formula, it starts and ends with Pitching. You think that's why 8 out of top 10 picks in this Years Draft will be Pitchers. You have dominant Pitching your going to have a very good chance of having a winning record. Even the 69 Mets who couldn't hit a lick, won it all.

You have a team like the Tigers you think they will have a long losing streak? Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez. Why did the Braves win for years? Come on.

[/QUOTE]

Yes and no.  No really where I was going.

POster here say thy could tell this team was a fraud by looking at the players on the roster.  Did they look at our pitchers and say "no way!"  This is basically the same staff as last year.  We lost what, Hanrahan and Bailey?  Not exactly key contributors.

Did anyone look at Oakland once they lost Parker AND Griffin, and both to surgery, not trades for other upgrades, and think - "This is the best all-around team in MLB?"  Very doubtful.

In fact, most critics were no so much looking at what the Sox have as opposed to what they lost - Ellsbury, Salty, etc. - and thinking "No way we can replace those guys."  They aren't so much commenting on the pitching as they are the players.  And when it comes to players, there is no magic formula, as they can all have good years and bad years.   These are all players capable of making major league rosters, something only 750 people in the entire worls are capable of doing...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Luck, good timing, and solid hitting w/risp...there was a new hero every nite it seemed...

As always - 100% correct!

[/QUOTE]

Plus stupid mistakes with opposing teams..

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I mentioned it in other thread. . UGLY PHILOSPHERS WERE LUCKY TO WIN IT LAST YEAR. NOT SURRISED WHERE THEY ARE NOW. 

[/QUOTE]

And guess what, it looks just as dumb here as it did in the other thread.  Why would you copy something like this?  At least fix the spelling or something.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I mentioned it in other thread. . UGLY PHILOSPHERS WERE LUCKY TO WIN IT LAST YEAR. NOT SURRISED WHERE THEY ARE NOW. 

[/QUOTE]

And guess what, it looks just as dumb here as it did in the other thread.  Why would you copy something like this?  At least fix the spelling or something.

[/QUOTE]

As dumb as it is written even u can understand it.

[/QUOTE]

No, actually I have no idea what UGLY PHILOSPHERS means.  Sounds like a punk band.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

yip. We are now the Yankees of 2008. Money available next year, and the FO knew that. No way they were going to repeat anyway, no sense in throwing money away on it. In that sense it's not a bad strategy, it just looks ugly for the moment. I expect them to be major players in the off season and serious contenders next year.

Sections
Shortcuts