How do you feel about the Roger Clemens perjury trial?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

How do you feel about the Roger Clemens perjury trial?

By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff
    Just curious, but how do you feel about the Roger Clemens perjury trial that started yesterday?

Here are two thoughts I had:

1. People should not lie before Congress and if that is what Clemens did, he should be punished. But shouldn't Congress and the federal government have better things to do than investigating baseball and chasing down old ballplayers who may have lied to them?

I guess I'm naive. But I'd rather my tax dollars help a homeless guy outside a baseball stadium than figure out what Clemens did inside the park.

2. Then comes Roger. If you followed the Red Sox from 1984-96, you know how big the Rocket was. In what was often a frustrating and fruitless era of baseball in Boston, Clemens was a superstar. It was the same in Toronto, New York and Houston.

Clemens started with the Yankees in 1999, the same year I started working in New York and covering baseball. Looking back at my old scorebooks, I covered 50 or so of his starts. As somebody who enjoys baseball history, it was fun to be there watching a player who was clearly headed to the Hall of Fame.

At the old Yankee Stadium, the players and the writers used the same parking lot and Roger had a Hummer in burnt orange. It was such a silly vehicle to drive around Manhattan, but that was Roger. He was a character.

Looking back, however, I feel like a fool. Like so many other writers, I believed the narrative that Clemens was successful because he worked so hard. Like a sheep, I followed along and wrote about what a big hero he was. You suspected certain guys were using PEDS. But Roger? Roger was out there doing sit-ups at 7 a.m. He just worked hard.

Now this whole sordid drama has played out and we've found out that Roger was apparently not much different than the other players who were caught up in that era. It doesn't make him a bad guy. It sort of feels like the day you figured out there was no Santa Claus. Christmas is still fun, but some of the wonder is gone.

There's no rooting interest in this trial for me. If Roger wins, what does he win? His reputation is already ruined. If the feds win, it's not like they're taking a dangerous criminal off the streets. Heck, Roger would probably like prison. Three squares, a cot and all the weights you can lift. He'll organize the softball team.

Many of you probably cheered for Clemens at some point then booed him once he went to New York.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: How do you feel about the Roger Clemens perjury trial?

I think being accused of lying to Congress is like being accused of shouting at Gilbert Gottfried.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: How do you feel about the Roger Clemens perjury trial?:
    I think being accused of lying to Congress is like being accused of shouting at Gilbert Gottfried.
    Posted by slomag

LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to How do you feel about the Roger Clemens perjury trial?:
    By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Just curious, but how do you feel about the Roger Clemens perjury trial that started yesterday? Here are two thoughts I had: 1. People should not lie before Congress and if that is what Clemens did, he should be punished. But shouldn't Congress and the federal government have better things to do than investigating baseball and chasing down old ballplayers who may have lied to them? I guess I'm naive. But I'd rather my tax dollars help a homeless guy outside a baseball stadium than figure out what Clemens did inside the park. 2. Then comes Roger. If you followed the Red Sox from 1984-96, you know how big the Rocket was. In what was often a frustrating and fruitless era of baseball in Boston, Clemens was a superstar. It was the same in Toronto, New York and Houston. Clemens started with the Yankees in 1999, the same year I started working in New York and covering baseball. Looking back at my old scorebooks, I covered 50 or so of his starts. As somebody who enjoys baseball history, it was fun to be there watching a player who was clearly headed to the Hall of Fame. At the old Yankee Stadium, the players and the writers used the same parking lot and Roger had a Hummer in burnt orange. It was such a silly vehicle to drive around Manhattan, but that was Roger. He was a character. Looking back, however, I feel like a fool. Like so many other writers, I believed the narrative that Clemens was successful because he worked so hard. Like a sheep, I followed along and wrote about what a big hero he was. You suspected certain guys were using PEDS. But Roger? Roger was out there doing sit-ups at 7 a.m. He just worked hard. Now this whole sordid drama has played out and we've found out that Roger was apparently not much different than the other players who were caught up in that era. It doesn't make him a bad guy. It sort of feels like the day you figured out there was no Santa Claus. Christmas is still fun, but some of the wonder is gone. There's no rooting interest in this trial for me. If Roger wins, what does he win? His reputation is already ruined. If the feds win, it's not like they're taking a dangerous criminal off the streets. Heck, Roger would probably like prison. Three squares, a cot and all the weights you can lift. He'll organize the softball team. Many of you probably cheered for Clemens at some point then booed him once he went to New York.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

This whole "PED" thing is an easy answer for me.  I feel there are way too many players who have and may still be using because baseball has allowed them to.  I don't really care at this point who used but do feel anyone not man enough to admit to it and caught lying should be punished.

I have all the respect in the world for those who have stood up like real men an admitted wrong doing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Roger would make a great cell mate for Bernie Madoff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

While Congress often gets involved in things it has no business getting involved in, I disagree with the suggestion that Congress should ignore baseball just because it's a sport so it should be able to do whatever it wants.

Baseball is a multi-billion dollar business. Just because it's a sport, it doesn't mean it can break laws (allow players to use illegal drug/substances, for example). Baseball had the chance to police itself. It chose not to. The union would never have allowed any type of testing w/o Congressional intervention. But regardless on how much you want to blame the players, owners, Selig, etc., the fact is, a multi-billion dollar business chose not to police itself and chose to flout the law.

At that point, yes, it did reach a point where Congress needed to look into it. Once they did, nobody -- NOBODY -- has the right to lie under oath. Jokes aside about politicians lying, if you take an oath in court or before Congress and lie, you deserve to be prosecuted.

To me, it's ridiculous to suggest that Clemens or any athlete shouldn't be prosecuted for perjury simiply because he's a baseball player. Of course, there are more serious issues. But just because Congress was investigating baseball and PEDs or the gov't is prosecuting Clemens, it doesn't mean it isn't doing other things too.

If Clemens lied under oath, he should be prosecuted and punished, just like anyone else.

And we know the dangers of steroid abuse, so gov't did have a responsibility in getting involved in bringing attention to the problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Make him Bonds' roommate in the slammer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have no doubt that Clemens, as well as many others , used P.E.Ds.  I do think that there are many important issues in this country that Congress should focus on , rather than questioning ballplayers about steroids.  For a politician to accuse an athlete of lying is somewhere beyond ridiculous and hypocritical.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Marion Jones, female track star, was sent to prison for steroids despite obvious remorce.  This freaking arrogant fool, Clemens, needs to go down and go down hard. 

Sections
Shortcuts