How Dumb Is John Farrell?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: How Dumb Is John Farrell?

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Lets start with todays line up, he has ross hitting 7th and betts 9th? Ross is easily the worst hitter on the team without question. Even beyond that, and the reason I started this discussion, why is christian vasquez who went 3-4 with 2 doubles and 3 rbi last night not in the starting line up? Especially since there is a lefty on the mound and he is right handed. Its these kind of moronic decisions that have hurt the sox all year. When your young catcher of the future has a big game, you don’t sit him the next day. Plain and simple. Especially when your back up is hitting .173. In case he didn’t notice, we need to score runs. I really hope the sox FO thinks strongly about firing farrell after this season. I just don’t see anything he adds to this team. He’s not a good game manager (case in point holt trying to steal 3rd with 1 out last night) he continuously struggles to handle pitching changes, changes the line up everyday and makes so many bad decisions. We are at the point where we are letting the kids play, so let them. 

I made a point last night that Vazquez, even though he had 3 hits, might night start tonight. This is how Farkell has been managing all year. It even makes it more amazing the SOX won it all last year with this incompetent managing. Toronto is still laughing.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Lets start with todays line up, he has ross hitting 7th and betts 9th? Ross is easily the worst hitter on the team without question. Even beyond that, and the reason I started this discussion, why is christian vasquez who went 3-4 with 2 doubles and 3 rbi last night not in the starting line up? Especially since there is a lefty on the mound and he is right handed. Its these kind of moronic decisions that have hurt the sox all year. When your young catcher of the future has a big game, you don’t sit him the next day. Plain and simple. Especially when your back up is hitting .173. In case he didn’t notice, we need to score runs. I really hope the sox FO thinks strongly about firing farrell after this season. I just don’t see anything he adds to this team. He’s not a good game manager (case in point holt trying to steal 3rd with 1 out last night) he continuously struggles to handle pitching changes, changes the line up everyday and makes so many bad decisions. We are at the point where we are letting the kids play, so let them. 

Dumb enough the make you make stupid comments.  If you manage the sox would you do a better job? If yes you would be doing it ,and not  here being stupid with your remarks

You give Farkell too much credit. I couldn't manage the SOX, but either can Farkell. Last year was an aberration. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I’m sure 23 yr old chrisitian vasquez can handle it, also the fact that he is hitting ross ahead of bradley and betts makes no sense. Ross is useless offensively and should be hitting 9th without question. My line up:

Holt

pedroia

ortiz

napoli

bogaerts

betts

gomes 

bradley jr

ross (since he is already pencilled in) 

Ross is easily our worst hitter and should be at the bottom, gomes is not far behind. Keep them at the bottom. 

You don't know what you're talking about - Ross and Gomes are hitting 209/320/535 and 316/414/442 against lefties.  Relax. 

So I hate to say I told you so, but well, I told you so. Gomes 0-4 3k's, Ross 1-4. As I said, you can look at splits all day long, but a crappy hitter is a crappy hitter. Plain and simple.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I’m sure 23 yr old chrisitian vasquez can handle it, also the fact that he is hitting ross ahead of bradley and betts makes no sense. Ross is useless offensively and should be hitting 9th without question. My line up:

Holt

pedroia

ortiz

napoli

bogaerts

betts

gomes 

bradley jr

Ross is easily our worst hitter and should be at the bottom, gomes is not far behind. Keep them at the bottom. 

You don't know what you're talking about - Ross and Gomes are hitting 209/320/535 and 316/414/442 against lefties.  Relax. 

So I hate to say I told you so, but well, I told you so. Gomes 0-4 3k's, Ross 1-4. As I said, you can look at splits all day long, but a crappy hitter is a crappy hitter. Plain and simple.

I'd prefer to call them 'crappy batters.' They haven't earned the right to be called 'hitters.'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It gets very tiresome saying this--you put the best 25 players in the system on the 25 man roster and you will win some games. Even a bad Mgr will win some games. Sometimes I wonder if they are trying to win. I know that's silly.

BenC should have been on the phone to the dugout after JF got 6 pretty darn good innings from Peavy. You want to trade the guy but JF gets a little selfish and thinks, 1 batter reaches and he's gone--instead of thinking 6 good innings Peavy made his last start in a Sox uni.

Get a run and it's Miller Time with , Taz then Ue.

Vazquez---since when does a 21 to 23 year old need a day off every other day? That to me was the second poor judgement. I am beside myself wondering about JF. I know there have been some decent pitchers as managers. They don't think about continuity they think pitch every 5 or 6 days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Holt

pedroia

ortiz

napoli

bogaerts

betts

gomes 

bradley jr

You can look at there splits all you want, the reality is, ross is hitting .173 and gomes .239. Not to mention gomes has 59 k’s in 66 games. Is that the kind of hitter who u want in the 5 spot? I sure don’t. Ross and gomes are the kind of guys who kill big innings and rallies. 

So splits don't matter? 

Not when it comes to Jonny, they don't. He's washed up, sorry to say, and hurting the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

This loss isn't on JF, there were chances to drive home more runs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

You're right; Farkell is just a bad part in a machine that has many bad parts.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

One thing is certain, he's never heard of the double steal, doesn't know it's a play you might use with speedsters aboard, whether ells and vic last year, or betts and holt today, it just ain't going to happen. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

I made a point last night that Vazquez, even though he had 3 hits, might night start tonight. This is how Farkell has been managing all year. It even makes it more amazing the SOX won it all last year with this incompetent managing. Toronto is still laughing.

Huh?  I'm sure they were in stitches, finishing in last place in 2013, far behind the pack after being predicted to win the division.  Meanwhile, the Red Sox, led by Farrell, were popping champagne corks.  

Yeah, right.  Every Canadian was hysterical.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Huh?  I'm sure they were in stitches, finishing in last place in 2013, far behind the pack after being predicted to win the division.  Meanwhile, the Red Sox, led by Farrell, were popping champagne corks.  

"I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy."

Let's just wait till last year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

"I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy."

Let's just wait till last year.

Geez.  What imagination.  Like I haven't heard that one before.  I think from Smiley-Beni and kimsaysthis.  You're in with some pretty lofty and witty company there, Bogie.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

That is EXACTLY the point. This team had more than enough opportunities to win this game. Farrell did not hit into a game ending DP, nor did he GIDP with the bases juiced and one out on the first pitch. His lineup was in a position to win, and as usual, the players did not perform. That is not Farrell's fault. No way this loss is Farrell's fault.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I was merely responding to the command: Show me any manager that plays a catcher in a day day after a night game ...

And, to answer the question in the subject line, John Farrell is dumb enough to manage a World Series champion in his first season in Boston.

FINALLY...a voice of reason. How quick we forget.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

That is EXACTLY the point. This team had more than enough opportunities to win this game. Farrell did not hit into a game ending DP, nor did he GIDP with the bases juiced and one out on the first pitch. His lineup was in a position to win, and as usual, the players did not perform. That is not Farrell's fault. No way this loss is Farrell's fault.

Pumpsie, you're right, the players have not been coming through.  However, the job of the manager, or leader, is to motivate and I wonder whether or not Farrell has been up to this task.

Also, his man-love for Jonny Gomes.  There was no reason in the world today why he wasn't pinch hit for in the eight inning, or whenever.  Nava, who's been hot lately, and Carp, who has pop in his bat, sat there.  Decisions like this have to be demoralizing to all the players.  No, the players would never admit this because saying the incorrect thing would be devastating to their careers.  It would be political suicide.  Instead, they sit in silence and become, in my opinion, demoralized.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

Bases loaded...Ortiz, double play. 9th inning, Pedey double play. Both great opportunities to score. Now i'm not blaming ortiz or pedey and I'm certainly not going to blame JF for it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Pumpsie, you're right, the players have not been coming through.  However, the job of the manager, or leader, is to motivate and I wonder whether or not Farrell has been up to this task.

Also, his man-love for Jonny Gomes.  There was no reason in the world today why he wasn't pinch hit for in the eight inning, or whenever.  Nava, who's been hot lately, and Carp, who has pop in his bat, sat there.  Decisions like this have to be demoralizing to all the players.  No, the players would never admit this because saying the incorrect thing would be devastating to their careers.  It would be political suicide.  Instead, they sit in silence and become, in my opinion, demoralized.

It is the job of the manager to motivate, but really, in a 162 game schedule its not feasible to give Vince Lombardi type speeches before each game. These players should have enough motivation to focus on the game. If they are not focused I see mental errors out there, and the only error I saw was Betts bobbling a ball hit to him in RF. They did not run into stupid outs on the basepaths or make lackadaisical throws around the IF as Bogaerts has a habit of doing. In short, I saw no evidence that they needed more motivation. They got 13 hits but were 1 for 6 with RISP and left 9 guys on base. I am not saying Farrell is the brightest bulb in Vegas, but IMO this loss is not on him, and this season is not on him either. No manager wins with this team the way they have performed. Just my opinion. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

It sure seems like the correct decision would have been to pinch hit for Gomes.  I question Farrell's decision here as well.  However, there could very well be a valid reason why Gomes was not pinch hit for, and we are just not aware of what that reason is.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but it could be.  There are always things going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to.  So, while I wonder about his decision, I also give him the benefit of the doubt.

At any rate, I don't think a manager should ever be blamed for losing a game, even with a decision as apparently blatantly wrong as the infamous Grady Little decision.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nobody hates to say I told you so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

One thing is certain, he's never heard of the double steal, doesn't know it's a play you might use with speedsters aboard, whether ells and vic last year, or betts and holt today, it just ain't going to happen. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

We're the worst base stealing team in the league, and you want to try a double-steal?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

I try to explain to fans sometimes, that the reason why we see .700 teams in FB, B-Ball, and hockey, but not BB, is because of the huge luck variance in BB.  Houston scores their last run because the runner is safe at 2nd by one inch, and Pedey is out at 1st by one inch.  You can't allocate blame in all but very poor decisions.

Sections
Shortcuts