How Fitting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

How Fitting

Paps blows the biggest save opportunity of his life, reminding us that he is not worth whatever he will be asking, Crawford fails in his last chance of the season to do SOMETHING  really clutch, and the Yankees play a game that has the Steinbrenner ethics written all over it. (I am sorry, but intentionally running through your bullpen in 9 innings and taking out all your starters is just wrong, if you are actually trying to win the game. Burnett--ONE batter, ridiculous! Girardi's "strategy" looked more like an invitation every inning for Ray batters to maintain hope, because any given inning they could expect one or two new pitchers until they found one they could pound, which is exactly what happened in the 8th.) Poor baserunning gives away a few more runs, and clutch hitting is in short supply. Just about wraps it up, and BTW, JD and Tito, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: How Fitting

I cannot believe I am doing this, but on Paps behalf, he threw 28 pitches on Tuesday, 29 on Sunday and was facing a team that had played Boston 6x in the last 14 days. Familiarity breeds contempt in baseball. In today's game, closers not named Mo cannot handle that workload.

As for the Yankee game, they were winning 7 - 0 and there was nothing out there to think the Rays were going to light it up in the 8th. In fact, it was more BB and HPB which set up the HR that led to that inning. Girardi owed Boston nothing; he put out his regulars who built a gigantic lead and then pulled them to prevent injury. And once the flood gates opened, there was nothing anyone could do to stop the on rush.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

this has nothing to do with the stanks, they didnt pinch hit with the bases loaded in extras against us on sunday night, rays could have fumed about that.

this is on the red sox and their appalling displays over the past month in general, and specifically the last week, when they have been nothing short of an embarassment, making mistakes that 10 year olds would hang their heads in shame at.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

Waaaaa, Waaaa, Waaaa! Blame da Yankees! WAA!

Do yourselves a favor. Stop. At least "A-Gone" blaming God was original.

YOU COULDN'T BEAT BALTIMORE!!!
    Even with (as Lester calls him) "The Best closer in baseball out there"

Pathetic. Hysterical.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: How Fitting:
    [QUOTE]I cannot believe I am doing this, but on Paps behalf, he threw 28 pitches on Tuesday, 29 on Sunday and was facing a team that had played Boston 6x in the last 14 days. Familiarity breeds contempt in baseball. In today's game, closers not named Mo cannot handle that workload. As for the Yankee game, they were winning 7 - 0 and there was nothing out there to think the Rays were going to light it up in the 8th. In fact, it was more BB and HPB which set up the HR that led to that inning. Girardi owed Boston nothing; he put out his regulars who built a gigantic lead and then pulled them to prevent injury. And once the flood gates opened, there was nothing anyone could do to stop the on rush.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Sorry, not buying that. If you are really trying to win the game, you use all your players, some completely gratuitously, like Burnett, precisely so that when the flood gates do start to open, you can shut them!! If Girardi comes out and says, I was doing what was best for our team, not trying to win the game, then I will buy that, but don't pretend he was managing to make sure he won.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

its clear that winning wasnt the be all and end all for girardi last night, he has the right to run his team as he sees fit with play offs 2 days away.

the sox not making it has nothing to do with girardi, there's plenty of mirrors in the sox clubhouse for certain individuals to have a good look in today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]I cannot believe I am doing this, but on Paps behalf, he threw 28 pitches on Tuesday, 29 on Sunday and was facing a team that had played Boston 6x in the last 14 days. Familiarity breeds contempt in baseball. In today's game, closers not named Mo cannot handle that workload. As for the Yankee game, they were winning 7 - 0 and there was nothing out there to think the Rays were going to light it up in the 8th. In fact, it was more BB and HPB which set up the HR that led to that inning. Girardi owed Boston nothing; he put out his regulars who built a gigantic lead and then pulled them to prevent injury. And once the flood gates opened, there was nothing anyone could do to stop the on rush.

Read your post again. Missed this the first time. "Girardi owed Boston nothing." True, but he owes the integrity of the game everything. (And as for your comment on Paps, my big problem with him is that when he gets into the really high pressure situations, he throws nothing but fastballs, and pretty hitable ones at that.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

The sox needed to take care of their own business, and didn't. It never should have come to this point.

They just totally collapsed as a team. Can't blame others for your own failings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

And you can look at Girardi's "Integrity" a different way.

Many baseball fans appreciate the best teams in Baseball in October. IF you think Girardi "blew the game on purpose", one could look @ it that way. Had the Red Sawx gotten in last night, that's an automatic ALCS appearance by Texas and everyone knows it.

The 2011 Boston Red Sawx had 28 days to fix THEIR OWN MESS. THE YANKEES HELPED YOU LAST WEEK PLAYING TAMPA!

Seriously. Can you take your own post down?? I'm so embarrassed I'm part of this discussion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Hope the Sox don't have to depend on the Yankees again next year to get them into the playoffs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Fitting : Read your post again. Missed this the first time. "Girardi owed Boston nothing." True, but he owes the integrity of the game everything. (And as for your comment on Paps, my big problem with him is that when he gets into the really high pressure situations, he throws nothing but fastballs, and pretty hitable ones at that.)
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

If Girardi can be accused of anything, it was his mismanagement of the bullpen last night. But then he has been doing that since he started his managerial career. I have always said that I did not like his handling of the BP. So in this regard, last night was nothing out of the ordinary for Girardi's managerial skills. However, going into the 8th inning, he had Logan, Ayala and Wade, all three who had ERA's under 3.50. In fact, Ayala and Wade had ERA's bordering 2.00. No way anyone figures all three would implode in the same game. That being said, you cannot say that Girardi was laying down last night. He could have shut the flood gates by bringing in Robertson or Mo, but why do that? What does that do for the Yankees. And please don't give me the integrity of the game.
    The Yanks should have swept the Sox on Sunday but girardi decided not to pinch hit on several instances where he could have sent up A-Rod or Jeter with the game winning run on 3rd and he chose not to. Didn't hear anyone complaining about the integrity of the game then.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

you people are full of cr... the yankees don't owe RS anything. This is all on the RS, they didn't pitch, run ,hit, catch,or anything else, 

anyone who puts this on the yankees just doesn't know what the h.. they are talking about.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

If another IDIOT on this board tries to blame Girardi and the Yankees for this debacle, I'm going to scream.

Sox play .500 this month and it's over 2 weeks ago!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

In Response to How Fitting:
    [QUOTE]Paps blows the biggest save opportunity of his life, reminding us that he is not worth whatever he will be asking, Crawford fails in his last chance of the season to do SOMETHING  really clutch, and the Yankees play a game that has the Steinbrenner ethics written all over it. (I am sorry, but intentionally running through your bullpen in 9 innings and taking out all your starters is just wrong, if you are actually trying to win the game. Burnett--ONE batter, ridiculous! Girardi's "strategy" looked more like an invitation every inning for Ray batters to maintain hope, because any given inning they could expect one or two new pitchers until they found one they could pound, which is exactly what happened in the 8th.) Poor baserunning gives away a few more runs, and clutch hitting is in short supply. Just about wraps it up, and BTW, JD and Tito, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Please don't blame the Yankees -- give some credit to the Rays for actually wanting this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

In Response to How Fitting:
    [QUOTE]Paps blows the biggest save opportunity of his life, reminding us that he is not worth whatever he will be asking, Crawford fails in his last chance of the season to do SOMETHING  really clutch, and the Yankees play a game that has the Steinbrenner ethics written all over it. (I am sorry, but intentionally running through your bullpen in 9 innings and taking out all your starters is just wrong, if you are actually trying to win the game. Burnett--ONE batter, ridiculous! Girardi's "strategy" looked more like an invitation every inning for Ray batters to maintain hope, because any given inning they could expect one or two new pitchers until they found one they could pound, which is exactly what happened in the 8th.) Poor baserunning gives away a few more runs, and clutch hitting is in short supply. Just about wraps it up, and BTW, JD and Tito, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Giradi's team won the division and he had the right to do what he wanted. Francona being in the same situation would have done the same. In a nutshell, when your starting pitchers average just above 5 innings per start the bull pen will be spent as was in the case for the Sox. The Sox need more dirt dog types and they don't need the so called "Professional Hitters" They need players who play hard and have fun. Some characters and some emotion on the bench might of helped. One can talk all day about injuries and all of that stuff. The manager didn't manage and the front office didn't fortify the team at the break. Hunter Pence would have looked good in right field. He does, but playing for Philly. Overall the sox choked. I hope that Fenway doesn't sell out next year. Send a message sox fans. One last thing, thanks to Ellsbury, Aceves for playing their hearts out. I can feel the cold breath of winter coming upon me today..My, is it ever cold..........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]Please don't blame the Yankees -- give some credit to the Rays for actually wanting this.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]

And the Sox for not wanting this...At least not wanting it as much as Tampa.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

People, try to understand a simple distinction. There were TWO elements in play last night, one dealing with the Sox, the other with the Rays. The Sox folded last night, and all September, like a cheap tent and deserved to be left out of the playoffs, and I have never suggested it was the Yankees' fault, because it's not. On the other hand, the Sox did have a right to expect that the Rays would have to beat a team that was trying to win. That is a separate issue, and wherever you stand on that issue is fine, but please don't confuse that issue with whether the Sox deserved what they got.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Redsox would have tanked to get the yankees out of the playoffs as well. Yanks earned the right to do that. Good Move IMO

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Fitting : Read your post again. Missed this the first time. "Girardi owed Boston nothing." True, but he owes the integrity of the game everything. (And as for your comment on Paps, my big problem with him is that when he gets into the really high pressure situations, he throws nothing but fastballs, and pretty hitable ones at that.)

Didn't you see his interview with Heidi? He thrives on pressure situations, even saying he smiled the night before while giving up run number 7 to the O's. He was probably disappointed that he got two quick outs and had no one on base with something to prove. He got Jones on high heat and then threw a devastating split to get the next guy. After giving up the double to Davis, he threw nothing but FBs. He had the 9th well in hand but couldn't be satisfied without some pressure. He wanted a challenge and it ended up costing us.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How Fitting : Didn't you see his interview with Heidi? He thrives on pressure situations, even saying he smiled the night before while giving up run number 7 to the O's. He was probably disappointed that he got two quick outs and had no one on base with something to prove. He got Jones on high heat and then threw a devastating split to get the next guy. After giving up the double to Davis, he threw nothing but FBs. He had the 9th well in hand but couldn't be satisfied without some pressure. He wanted a challenge and it ended up costing us.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that and thought, that's a great attitude if you can actually deliver on it, which he never has. For the most part, WHEN IT REALLY COUNTS, he is like a deer in the headlights. Some day, though, I would love to sit down with Tek and ask him, "when you caught Paps in those big games he blew, what were YOU thinking, letting him throw nothing but fastballs?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

This is all on Tito, not Paps or the Yanks if the team would have not started2-10 we would not be having this discussion. The reason they started 2-10 out of shape coming out of spring training.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The Yankees built a 7-0 lead which we all know should have been enough.  I think Girardi was managing to win but he also put himself in a position in the late innings where he was stuck with the limited pitching he had left.  I don't really know what options he had left but when he left Ayala in to face Longoria you just knew Longoria was going to do something. 

The Yanks had a chance to finish off the Rays, I say this believing that if the Red Sox come out from that rain delay knowing they win and their in I think it plays out differently and they do win.  The Yanks didn't finish off the Rays and those types of things tend to come back and bite you.  The old what goes around comes around.

Blaming the Yankees for coughing it up last night is sorry sorry sorry.  The Red Sox went 7-20 in September, end of story.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Dan Johnson is a folk hero, all I can say is you come up as a PH with 2 outs in the 9th and your season pretty much over...and then you hit a home run....that is the epitome of clutch...Ortiz had a chance to do something prior to the fateful 9th..he tapped it 2 feet in front of the plate.....there's your season right there. Johnson clutch, Ortiz not.