How good will Tanaka be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: How good will Tanaka be?

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is a devastating splitter and slider effective in the majors if the complimenting fastball is 90-91 and flat?  Is his fastball really as flat as his critics say?  A great mystery.

[/QUOTE]

It is not. His first outing of the Spring he was 91-94. Movement was fine. Location was good. He has 16/3 K/BB rate this spring. Looked like Kuroda with another MPH or two. If you are hoping for a bust, hope he busts some ligaments. Otherwise you will be disapointed.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the ST scouting report BMav.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i saw him pithc in japan.  those hitters are not nearly the caliber.  there also wasn't 150 media hounds at every game.  wait until he experiences strip clubs around the country.  they dont have them like that in japan.

he will be under .500.  put it in stone.

[/QUOTE]

So it was strip clubs that destroyed Dice-K? Makes sense to me.

[/QUOTE]

hahaha.  alot more "distractions" in the States.  that was my point.  do i need to list everyone or was just using one example (strip club) enough?  how about this...have you ever travelled internationally?  any idea what a normal dinner portion is in other countries?  it's about half the size of here in the States.  i always expect foreign players to gain weight when they come here.  not the freshman 15.  more like the freshman 30.  and he isnt headed to the minor leagues to sort it all out, out of the spotlight. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Is a devastating splitter and slider effective in the majors if the complimenting fastball is 90-91 and flat?  Is his fastball really as flat as his critics say?  A great mystery.

[/QUOTE]

It is not. His first outing of the Spring he was 91-94. Movement was fine. Location was good. He has 16/3 K/BB rate this spring. Looked like Kuroda with another MPH or two. If you are hoping for a bust, hope he busts some ligaments. Otherwise you will be disapointed.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if he is throwing mid 90's then the yankees already have him on the "strength program".  or radar guns in florida read different than Japan.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if he is throwing mid 90's then the yankees already have him on the "strength program".  or radar guns in florida read different than Japan.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that the 94 figure is a little either faulty-radar, hyperbolic or Yankee-style anabolic.  Especially for a first spring outing.   But, I appreciate BMavs observation about movement though.  assuming he has a scouts eye for such things and isnt just guessing, that is meaningful insight:  Even at 90, a fastball that moves is what is going to make his split effective.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Who cares--for $150 he should be expected to win a minimum of  15 games. 

If Ortiz takes him deep the first time he faces us---that will spell some trouble for the Bombers.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree that the 94 figure is a little either faulty-radar, hyperbolic or Yankee-style anabolic.  Especially for a first spring outing.   But, I appreciate BMavs observation about movement though.  assuming he has a scouts eye for such things and isnt just guessing, that is meaningful insight:  Even at 90, a fastball that moves is what is going to make his split effective.

[/QUOTE]

Fastballs that don't move are rarely caught by the catcher and they tend to travel long distances.

[/QUOTE]

Isaac Newton?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I think he will be very good this year, especially the first half.  Two things could catch up to him the second half.  One, teams will have a better line on him.  Two, the rigors of an MLB season could start to take its toll.  It will be interesting to see how (if?) the Yankees limit his pitch counts and/or innings pitched.  Even with that I think his first year totals will be in the range of a #2 starter.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agreeman. Show agreeman's posts

I have a Yahoo team too and yeah Tanaka will be AWESOME.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to agreeman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a Yahoo team too and yeah Tanaka will be AWESOME.

[/QUOTE]

Many believe that dgalehouse is the best poster ever. Do you agree? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He'll be Jell-o Pudding Pop good...