How important is it to win the AL East?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

How important is it to win the AL East?

Is it more important to try to win the AL East and get home field advantage in the playoffs or is it important for Francona to rest the regulars and have a well rested starting rotation and bullpen and be able to line up the starters the way he wants?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

Re: How important is it to win the AL East?

In Response to How important is it to win the AL East?:
    [QUOTE]Is it more important to try to win the AL East and get home field advantage in the playoffs or is it important for Francona to rest the regulars and have a well rested starting rotation and bullpen and be able to line up the starters the way he wants?
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

To be honest I don't think it is that important.  I think both teams want to be healthy, set up their starting pitching and playing well heading into the postseason. Sure they would like to be playing at home to start the playoffs and have home field but is it really that important?  I don't know, I don't think it is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Is it more important to try to win the AL East and get home field advantage in the playoffs or is it important for Francona to rest the regulars and have a well rested starting rotation and bullpen and be able to line up the starters the way he wants?

Would you rather play Texas or Detroit in the first round?  First place is very important, let Texas and the Yankee where eachother out, then have the winner play us in the ALCS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

winning the division will win us home field throughout the alcs...it is amazing that the bootlickers on this board are already making excuses for Coma doing what he does best - giving up 1st place in August...unacceptaBLE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

SOX fans will find that out when the SOX end up as WC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

It will depend on a myriad of variables when those decisions need to be made. Why worry about it six weeks ahead of time?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-)TheBabe(-(. Show )-)TheBabe(-('s posts

It's only important around here when the blosox are in first, when the Yanks are in first it's not that important.

Amazing how that works.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: How important is it to win the AL East?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How important is it to win the AL East? : It will depend on a myriad of variables when those decisions need to be made. Why worry about it six weeks ahead of time?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Variables???? Like a manager who refuses to play for the division title? That should not be a variable...variables are injuries and scheduling - but in our situation we have to factor in the playschool lineups that seem to dominate our games as the season wears on and our players are too tired or hurt to play...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Naturally the RS would like to have both.But Detroit assuming they will be the AL Central winner is no cake walk. 5 game series with 3 games in Detroit and Verlander starting 2 if it goes 5.

In 2005 RS had to leave everything on the field just to make the playoffs, came into the series with their rotation out of order and tired. They got swept in the first round. Now one could point out 2009 to counter that year, as it was year where they had time to get their house in order before the playoffs as the East was out of reach and they still got swept. But that team wasn't healthy even with that time.

It is harder to win the whole thing from the WC slot BUT just as hard to win it all if your rotation is out of order and your key guys are worn out. For all the entire RS nation likes to question the balancing act that Francona attempts each year in terms of balancing the need to keep your players strong and healthy with maximizing the regular season win total the right answer is never assured. But I will say this, winning the division would never overcome not having Beckett and Lester healthy and at the toip of the rotation for the first round of the playoffs regardless of who the opponent was. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Georom is just be HEADSTRONG.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Naturally the RS would like to have both.But Detroit assuming they will be the AL Central winner is no cake walk. 5 game series with 3 games in Detroit and Verlander starting 2 if it goes 5. In 2005 RS had to leave everything on the field just to make the playoffs, came into the series with their rotation out of order and tired. They got swept in the first round. Now one could point out 2009 to counter that year, as it was year where they had time to get their house in order before the playoffs as the East was out of reach and they still got swept. But that team wasn't healthy even with that time. It is harder to win the whole thing from the WC slot BUT just as hard to win it all if your rotation is out of order and your key guys are worn out. For all the entire RS nation likes to question the balancing act that Francona attempts each year in terms of balancing the need to keep your players strong and healthy with maximizing the regular season win total the right answer is never assured. But I will say this, winning the division would never overcome not having Beckett and Lester healthy and at the toip of the rotation for the first round of the playoffs regardless of who the opponent was.   
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

are you saying starting these guys every fifth game is tantamount to injuring them???? do they need extra rest??? sounds like a lot of bootlicking bunk to me - I can see the Francona excuse makers are out in full force today as we occupy second place

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]It's only important around here when the blosox are in first, when the Yanks are in first it's not that important. Amazing how that works.....
    Posted by )-)TheBabe(-([/QUOTE]

Though I don't think it is that important, this is a true statement.  When the Sox are in first it is very important around here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think that playing good ball going into the playoffs, maintaining momentum through the stretch, that is important.  So, no way they can take their foot off the gas.  And, I expect that this will put them in a position to take the division when all is said and done.  However, when push comes to shove, health takes precedence.  That is what Francona is alluding to when he downplays the importance of the division.  I think many misconstrue that.  In any case, I don't see what the scuffles of the weekend and last night have to do with it.  that is not Francona somehow ceding the division to the Yankees.  They just lost a few ballgames.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I guess Im the only Sox fan saying first place is important and I want to win the division...sad -

Welcome to Theometrics I guess - the messiah and his disciples have stated that the wildcard is just fine with them...God forbid you question that logic

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How important is it to win the AL East? : Variables???? Like a manager who refuses to play for the division title? That should not be a variable...variables are injuries and scheduling - but in our situation we have to factor in the playschool lineups that seem to dominate our games as the season wears on and our players are too tired or hurt to play...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]I think you just answered your own question while not accepting the answer. The "playschool" line-ups as you call them are a factor because of injuries (Scutaro and Ortiz yesterday) and a schedule that has three games being played in 27 hours. Sounds like injuries and scheduling to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How important is it to win the AL East? : Though I don't think it is that important, this is a true statement.  When the Sox are in first it is very important around here.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

I thought that you were on the Phish tour all Spring and Summer and weren't here. What are you basing this deduction on? I thought that you were above the Babe logic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I think that playing good ball going into the playoffs, maintaining momentum through the stretch, that is important.  So, no way they can take their foot off the gas.  And, I expect that this will put them in a position to take the division when all is said and done.  However, when push comes to shove, health takes precedence.  That is what Francona is alluding to when he downplays the importance of the division.  I think many misconstrue that.  In any case, I don't see what the scuffles of the weekend and last night have to do with it.  that is not Francona somehow ceding the division to the Yankees.  They just lost a few ballgames.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space in 2009 we limped into the playoffs and were swept....this year we are healthier but the other playoff teams are better...we need the series to open in Fenway - not in Texas

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This year I think it is more important--guarantees home field plus, probably, playing the central division winner vice the Rangers. 

But I agree with fivekatz that Francona will want to make sure Beckett and Lester are not overstretched in September. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How important is it to win the AL East? : Space in 2009 we limped into the playoffs and were swept....this year we are healthier but the other playoff teams are better...we need the series to open in Fenway - not in Texas
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I agree Geo.  Like I said, I think that Francona's mention of the focus not being on teh division is misconstrued.  Whatever the goal, it is of utmost importance to play well down the stretch.  You want to be playing your best ball going into the post no doubt.  And, the Sox win the division doing so.  I expect this to happen.  BUT:  CAVEAT:  If we are at the end of September and we are neck and neck with the Yankees, I don't want, and Tito/Theo et all would never let it happen, but i don't want the Sox going all 08-Brewers-on-Sabathia on Beckett.  I want our starters and pen as healthy as possible going in.  Home/road doesn't make a bit of difference if we have one healthy starting pitcher. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-)TheBabe(-(. Show )-)TheBabe(-('s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How important is it to win the AL East? : I thought that you were on the Phish tour all Spring and Summer and weren't here. What are you basing this deduction on? I thought that you were above the Babe logic.

There's two problems right there.

First off, you shouldn't try to think, it might strain that gerbil you have running around in the wheel in your head.

Secondly, you wouldn't know logic if it fell out of the sky and landed on your head.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I was referring to your logic which follows:

Six posters on BDC in July were sure of a first place Red Sox finish.

Babe states that RSN feels that winning the Division is a sure thing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-)TheBabe(-(. Show )-)TheBabe(-('s posts

[QUOTE]I was referring to your logic which follows: Six posters on BDC in July were sure of a first place Red Sox finish. Babe states that RSN feels that winning the Division is a sure thing.

Please point out where I stated that the rfn feels winning the division is a sure thing.

Your lack of reading comprehension is baffling.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How important is it to win the AL East? : I thought that you were on the Phish tour all Spring and Summer and weren't here. What are you basing this deduction on? I thought that you were above the Babe logic.

Hey Pike say hi to Kim..or just go in the mirror and say hi, its the same thing.  Babe was correct in his statement in how posters on this forum view 1st place.

Sections
Shortcuts