How is it that Farrell Leaves Doubront in for 120 pitches on bad starts, but takes him out after 93 tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

How is it that Farrell Leaves Doubront in for 120 pitches on bad starts, but takes him out after 93 tonight?

Can anyone explain this? If a guy is that electric, hadn't thrown more than 13 pitches in any inning, yet he takes him out for a closer who has been awful?

Any explanations?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: How is it that Farrell Leaves Doubront in for 120 pitches on bad starts, but takes him out after 93 tonight?

I actually saw Bailey blowing this game... Should of went for the compete game doubie.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: How is it that Farrell Leaves Doubront in for 120 pitches on bad starts, but takes him out after 93 tonight?

You have to bring your closer. If Doubrant gave up two runs in the 9th, it would have ruin this night. The goal is to build upon this going forward, you couldn't do that if he lost that game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Wring bosoxjoe. This is nothing more than a manager covering his az z ! Stupid move Felix was making them look like little leaguers and was under 100 pitches. This was flat out stupid and had no upside at all. The LaRussafication of baseball continues...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If there was ever an example of when to leave someone in, tonight was that night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Can anyone explain this? If a guy is that electric, hadn't thrown more than 13 pitches in any inning, yet he takes him out for a closer who has been awful?

Any explanations?

1-I find it extremely amusing that this is the last thing you had to say about Doubront=

As bad as the Red Sox starting pitching is looking now, Felix Doubront should be removed from the rotation. 

2-Farrell never left Doubront in for 120 pitches.  In his one bad start, he was left in for 97 pitches.  I'd have left him in, but you can spend 20 seconds researching these things beofre posting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The explanation?

Bailey got the win. He was awesome!

Wink

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Did we win?   Shussh!!  

Who thought "oh damn , JohnnyGomes is starting in LF"?

Get off Farrell's back...  We won!!  Obv he drew the right cards on the river.  I'll take it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Any explanations?

1-I find it extremely amusing that this is the last thing you had to say about Doubront=

As bad as the Red Sox starting pitching is looking now, Felix Doubront should be removed from the rotation. 

2-Farrell never left Doubront in for 120 pitches.  In his one bad start, he was left in for 97 pitches.  I'd have left him in, but you can spend 20 seconds researching these things beofre posting.

Exactly. I was think the same thing on both comments. Doubront has pitched more than 104 pitches twice and never more than 113.

Personally, I would have brought him back for the ninth. But I also understand that most of the time, unless it's an ace on the mound, managers are going to bring in the closer at that point. I don't like it, but that simply is how the game is managed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where's the "Gomes never does anything to help us win" thread?

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Did we win?   Shussh!!  

Get off Farrell's back...  We won!!  Obv he drew the right cards on the river.  I'll take it.

It was an absolute "Win In Spite Of Farrell".  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The explanation?

Bailey got the win. He was awesome!

Wink

Sox4ever

I'm trying to channel some ADG logic here, but putting my ADG aluminum cap on for a second, had Farrell left Doubront in, and since ADG wants Doubront dropped from the rotation, then Farrell won the game for us since Doubront might have allowed multiple runs, while Bailey held them to one, and left us in a position to win.

So we won despite an 8-inning shutout effort from the guy that should be dropped from the rotation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Any explanations?

Let me see. The Sox won 69 games last year and are on pace to win 95-97 games with Farrel at the helm in what was suppose to be a rebuilding year and your playing back seat manager !!

Just saying.

Hetch

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Did we win?   Shussh!!  

It was an absolute "Win In Spite Of Farrell".  

Are you Grady Little?  Just curious...Your schtick is to crucify managers, especially Tito, whenever possible, so I thought maybe you are Grady Little and you're still bitter over getting fired for not pulling Pedro back in '03...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

Wring bosoxjoe. This is nothing more than a manager covering his az z ! Stupid move Felix was making them look like little leaguers and was under 100 pitches. This was flat out stupid and had no upside at all. The LaRussafication of baseball continues...

What if Doubrant gave up two runs? That would not give the Red Sox anything to build off of. This is guy who never pitched that deep into a game. Half the reason pitcher tire is because of the sitting down and getting up each inning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Although you've been whining about how Doubront shouldnt be in this rotation,  along with a new thread every day about another player, Ill explain what happened tonight to you regardless. Maybe you will learn something and quit whining everyday.

The simple reason? Bailey is our closer and thats HIS job.

another reason....

Although I thought Doubie could have gone a CG, we have a little over a month to figure out what we need at the deadline and the closers job has been a topic for discussion. In order to be able to make the best decision we have to give Bailey every opportunity to fail or succeed.

Personally, I dont trust him. Id offer a B prospect and Bailey to Philly and eat all of paps deal just so I feel that we have the best chance to win come the 9th inning. It may not be a popular choice around here, but I thought he should have been signed to a 4yr deal at 12M per anyway. Guys like Paps who can succeed in that role for consecutive years is not a common thing. yes, everyone has a closer, but like catchers, there are few elite ones.

Phills get a closer for this year and next, get a good prospect and free up 30M off their payroll. We get a closer that thrives in high pressure situations and can get the job done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You have to bring your closer. If Doubrant gave up two runs in the 9th, it would have ruin this night. The goal is to build upon this going forward, you couldn't do that if he lost that game.

You have to bring your closer? I must have missed that part of the rule book. When your starter has retired the last 17 hitters without a loud foul, and is in a groove he has never been in, you don't take him out. You let the guyhave put on his record, "3 hit shutout, no walks, low pitchcount". That's what you do; you do not judege the man on what he did last week or last month. You trust your eyes, and forget what Francona would do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You have to bring your closer? I must have missed that part of the rule book. When your starter has retired the last 17 hitters without a loud foul, and is in a groove he has never been in, you don't take him out. You let the guyhave put on his record, "3 hit shutout, no walks, low pitchcount". That's what you do; you do not judege the man on what he did last week or last month. You trust your eyes, and forget what Francona would do.

Theres a bigger picture your not seeing. Get over francona will ya.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I definitely think bringing Doubront back out was the right call and was amazed when Bailey, whom I absolutely do not trust in the 9th inning, came out.

That said, ADG once again has his data wrong and of course never, ever wants to say anything good about the manager or the any of the players. 

The the positive is not just that the Sox won the game on a dinger by Gomes, but that Bailey has now had three really lousy 9th innings in the last 2 weeks.  He blew a save with a 2 run lead.  He almost blew a save with a 3 run lead.  And he blew a save with a 1 run lead.  He cannot be trusted in the 9th inning, period. 

I completely agree with whoever says Farrell is having a great season and should get a pass on tonight. 

By the way, anyone else notice the other great call ADG made today?  You know, the one in which he excoriates Farrell and Cherington for not bringing up another reliever.  Right on target with that one.  The Sox bullpen was so depleted they blew both ends of a double header.  Not. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

ADG - hmm good question. I"m going to say...because Farrell knows more about baseball than you do. It's the only answer that seems to make sense.

p.s. very nice wins!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Any explanations?

You, my fine feathered friend, have asked the question of the night. Silence covers Yawkee way in reply.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

People get so wrapped up in defending their opinions , that they ignore the obvious. Here is the obvious.  1 - Farrell has done an excellent job.   2- Farrell made a blunder tonight.  3-  The Sox won.  Those three things are obvious to me. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Any explanations?

You, my fine feathered friend, have asked the question of the night. Silence covers Yawkee way in reply.

I gave 2 very logical explinations for it. Its quite obvious and a fairly easy question to answer.

Sections
Shortcuts