how is JETER ranked 401st out of 507 SS in the last 70 years? where does he rank all-time in his GENERATION?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Re: how is JETER ranked 401st out of 507 SS in the last 70 years? where does he rank all-time in his GENERATION?

His fame is a product of being in the largest media market in the world.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: how is JETER ranked 401st out of 507 SS in the last 70 years? where does he rank all-time in his GENERATION?

Where the heck did that 401st number come from. 

Jeter is a cumulative 72 WAR in his career, and that's just regular season of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Who ranked him 401st??? what are you talking about, and can you provide a link?

Also this is baseball, not Basketball, not football.  A Jordan, or A Brady can't pick up a team and practically carry them into the playoffs in baseball.  Jeter played next to a star studded, best money can buy team and It is ludicrious to penalize a guy for playing around crappy teams.   Again, it is different in baseball, If you put Jeter on the Bluejays for his entire career then how many rings does he have???  ZERO, that's how many.

Would he still be a HOFer and one of the best offensive SS in history? yes. 

And I get it too, you can't dismiss the rings as well, but you can't penalize another guy for not having them.  If you reincarnated Babe Ruth and made him an Astro........the Astros would still stink.  One guy can't change a franchise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not really.

He could have played his entire life in Japan and people in the US would be wearing his jersey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:[QUOTE]

what's up HH

seriously jam

tell us how playing in ny helps one get 3000 hits

how many 3K hitters R a secret

ever hear of Tony Gwynn

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not really.

He could have played his entire life in Japan and people in the US would be wearing his jersey.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah maybe a couple, in the same way that someone somewhere in America is wearing a jersey of an unknown Japanese player.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Quick. Without looking it up, who is the all-time hits leader for Nippon Pro Baseball?

I don't know who it is, but I guarantee that person is far less well known in the U.S. than Derek Jeter. 

If Jeter had played for the Astro's he'd be about as well known as Craig Biggio. That is, most baseball fans who follow the game daily would know who he is and how good he was, but the casual fans outside of Houston would have no idea. But because Jeter played for the Yankees, even my mother (who couldn't care less about baseball), knows who he is.

[/QUOTE] and each day i thank the Stros' for passing on Jeter..oh, and the Reds...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Yankees cornered the market on WS wins, but have had their fallow periods, especially the early years under Steinbrenner.  Two things helped turn that around:  staying with one manager, Joe Torre, and making Derek Jeter the franchise player.  When ARod, a SS, joined the team several years ago, he was a SS with better numbers than Jeter, but he immediately agreed to play 3B. 

In the movie Fever Pitch the Jimmie Fallon character, the high school math teacher, says that you can't fake it in baseball.  You can either hit or curve or not.  You might be able to fake it for a game or even a season, but not for a career. 

Jeter is the real deal and greatly admired by other MLB players, including guys now playing for the Sox.  His fielding may only have been average (or a little above or a little below), but he is a great hitter who always played smart. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

DiMaggio and Mantle got more press than Musial.

Mays, Aaron and TW were somewhere in between.

And if my grandmother had wheels...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jam789123's comment:[QUOTE]

what's up HH

seriously jam

tell us how playing in ny helps one get 3000 hits

how many 3K hitters R a secret

ever hear of Tony Gwynn

[/QUOTE]

Take a look at Gwynn's last all star game appearance and tell me about the reception he got Zac....then review Jeter's.  The media market is a huge reason for that....sorry but it's true...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Take a look at Gwynn's last all star game appearance and tell me about the reception he got Zac....then review Jeter's. The media market is a huge reason for that....sorry but it's true...

greetings king

I'm thinking slash would post this

On June 28th, 2001, Tony Gwynn announced to the San Diego Padres and their fans that he will retire at the end of the season. Why did he wait until halfway through the season to announce it? He didn’t want all the “fanfare” of a farewell tour. What we are seeing with Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter is exactly what Gwynn didn’t want. That is the man he was. He was humble and it would have made him uncomfortable.

http://friarsonbase.com/2014/06/28/day-padres-history-gwynn-announces-retirement/" rel="nofollow">http://friarsonbase.com/2014/06/28/day-padres-history-gwynn-announces-retirement/

should I've said cal ripken

it was his last yr 2 and he got all of the jeter like attention

no talk of a smaller market there

I not saying it hasn't help him

but he would still be pretty famous just like all the other HOF

then again is it more the large ny press or the 5 rings

this post has been EDITED

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

that said now I'm reading there R those upset the tonys death got little /no attention last night

so there's that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I would be interested to hear from the NYY posters, and I can't say that often

Do you think Jeters farewell tour, with half the season still to go, has been over the top?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you think Jeters farewell tour is a over the top?

[/QUOTE]

of course it is

but it has nothing to do with him

ok slash it has very little to do with him

surely a nesn watcher like U realizes

everything is over the top

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

n response to J-BAY's comment:

Do you think Jeters farewell tour is a over the top? 

of course it is

BUt it has nothing to do with him

ok slash it has very little to do with him

surely a nesn watcher like U realizes

everything is over the top

ZAC, WHY MAKE IT A THE RED SOX/NYY THING

MY QUESTION WAS MORE BECAUSE RIVERA'S WASN'T AND I'M WONDERING WHY OR WHY NOT

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

If Marty Marion had played in New York,people here would still know who he was.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

ZAC, WHY MAKE IT A THE RED SOX/NYY THING

while it might of sounded that way

I was just using nesn as example of being experts of hyping things

I strongly disagree with that

as far as yes goes I would say mo got much more attention

and suggest it might seem that way because of it's coming right after mo

with nothing original about it

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

ZAC, WHY MAKE IT A THE RED SOX/NYY THING

while it might of sounded that way

I was just using nesn as example of being experts of hyping things

I strongly disagree with that

as far as yes goes I would say mo got much more attention

nd suggest it might seem that way because of it's coming right after mo

ith nothing original about it

Zac as usual you're using it to take a swipe at the sox/nesn with the they are experts at hype.

I wouldn't know becasue I dont watch YES, but I dont remember hearing nearly as much about Mo's farewell tour, as Jeters, nor do I remember the all star game being all about Rivera

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Zac as usual you're using it to take a swipe at the sox with the they are experts at hype.

U disagree that they are experts at hype?

using that reasoning

I could conclude U did the same thing

using  your question about jete getting to much attention

as a swipe to jeter

none of the above has to do with my opinion that mo got a lot more attention

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Zac as usual you're using it to take a swipe at the sox with the they are experts at hype.

U disagree that they are experts at hype?

sing that reasoning

I could conclude U did the same thing

using  your question about jete getting to much attention

as a swipe to jeter

one of the above has to do with my opinion that mo got a lot more attention

Not at all, Zac. It actually came from a co worker who is a NYY fan, and made his usual stop in my office this morning, to talk baseball. He brought it up, after last nights ASG, and we had a civil conversation about it, which lead to my post/question. No where did I take a swipe at Jeter. Sorry I asked. I should have known better. Thanks for the response.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera's spikes crunched into the warning track as Metallica's "Enter Sandman" began its familiar strains over the public address system, accompanying the all-time saves leader for one last All-Star Game jog across the outfield grass.

Rivera scaled the back of the mound, looked around, and realized he was completely alone on the playing field. For nearly two minutes, it remained that way, as players in both dugouts and bullpens kept their distance and applauded the 43-year-old's final appearance in the Midsummer Classic.

"When I got to the mound, I saw both sides, both teams in the dugout, and it was amazing," Rivera said. "It almost made me cry, too. I was close. It was amazing -- a scene that I will never forget."

................................................ the festivities took on the form of a tribute to the game's elder statesman -- one that quite literally halted the game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130716&content_id=53920516&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

gee, so many JABROS dont or cant read.. want y'all feedback on fact that FANGRAPH has jeter ranked as 401st best DEFENSIVE shortstop based on a ton of metrics! read the intro, its clear as day!

[/QUOTE]

401st out of 507 SS defensively???   I'm surprised he's that high.   ;-)

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts