How many games has Francona cost this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fgug. Show fgug's posts

How many games has Francona cost this team?

Let's all just be civil here, but the questions needs to be asked. How many games has Francona's stupidity cost this team? Let's take tonight. Why was Lowrie at third base? For that matter, why is Scutaro getting limited playing time? He more than proved himself. he has been consistenly adequate at short
    and was hitting the tar out of the ball. Lowrie comes off the DL and immediately gets more playing time? This is really foolish. Lowrie cost the Redsox tonight with a bad throw to home in the 2nd, and then throws the ball off the back of the runner in the 8th. These two plays cost the Sox in my count, 5 runs. Lowrie is a mediocre player. So is Scutaro, but Scutaro has been playing great. You stick with the players who are doing the job. Lowrie is NOT.
    Compond these assinine decisions over the course of the year and your "manager" costs you  15 or 20 games, EASILY. He is not good. The team has a winning record in spite of fancona.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: How many games has Francona cost this team?

In Response to How many games has Francona cost this team?:
    [QUOTE]Let's all just be civil here, but the questions needs to be asked. How many games has Francona's stupidity cost this team? Let's take tonight. Why was Lowrie at third base? For that matter, why is Scutaro getting limited playing time? He more than proved himself. he has been consistenly adequate at short and was hitting the tar out of the ball. Lowrie comes off the DL and immediately gets more playing time? This is really foolish. Lowrie cost the Redsox tonight with a bad throw to home in the 2nd, and then throws the ball off the back of the runner in the 8th. These two plays cost the Sox in my count, 5 runs. Lowrie is a mediocre player. So is Scutaro, but Scutaro has been playing great. You stick with the players who are doing the job. Lowrie is NOT. Compond these assinine decisions over the course of the year and your "manager" costs you  15 or 20 games, EASILY. He is not good. The team has a winning record in spite of fancona.
    Posted by fgug[/QUOTE]

That's a fair assessment of his affect on the team's record. It's sad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Let's all just be civil here, but the questions needs to be asked. How many games has Francona's stupidity cost this team? Let's take tonight. Why was Lowrie at third base? For that matter, why is Scutaro getting limited playing time? He more than proved himself. he has been consistenly adequate at short and was hitting the tar out of the ball. Lowrie comes off the DL and immediately gets more playing time? This is really foolish. Lowrie cost the Redsox tonight with a bad throw to home in the 2nd, and then throws the ball off the back of the runner in the 8th. These two plays cost the Sox in my count, 5 runs. Lowrie is a mediocre player. So is Scutaro, but Scutaro has been playing great. You stick with the players who are doing the job. Lowrie is NOT. Compond these assinine decisions over the course of the year and your "manager" costs you  15 or 20 games, EASILY. He is not good. The team has a winning record in spite of fancona.
    Posted by fgug[/QUOTE]Why is Scutaro not playing? Back injury. Youk both sides  of a doubleheader? Same thing and I am sure the RS did not want to risk his aggrevating the injury by starting 3 games in 24 hours.

Of course if Youk did aggrevate the injury then you could have posted why it was Francona's fault playing him for 27 innings in about 30 hours time.

Listening to pre and post game reports might help you understand why certain guys are sitting and others are playing, or you can just do the Francoma thing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How many games has he won?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: How many games has Francona cost this team?:
    [QUOTE]How many games has he won?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

None, and counting. He's not done anything in 7+ years, to help the team win a game, that any high school coach couldn't have done. He's done countless things that have cost the Sox wins, that few if any high school coaches would do. I don't want to hear about the Roberts steal. What other option did he have? Ever since that game, I've wondered who talked him into using Roberts. Rumor has it that he was concerned that Roberts might injure himself and not be available for up coming games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i have to agree that franconas stupidy has cost the sox many games. As for the ss situation, neither scutaro or lowrie is the answer. Lowrie is quite below average defensively and is not good enough to be playing ss at the major league level. Scutaro is average defensively and dont be fooled by his recent hitting outburst. He has struggled to even hit .270 this year and for the most part has been useless with the bat. Neither of them are the answer to the sox ss problems. The answer is jose iglesias. He may not hit much, but hsi defensive abilities are way better than scutaro or lowrie's. Tonights game was a prime example as to why a really good defensive ss can be just as valuable as a good offensive one. Lowrie pretty much single-handedly cost us the game with his defensive blunders. Honestly we have nothing to lose by calling up iglesias and giving him some playing time. Scutaro is hurt and lowrie is terrible defensively. Put scutaro on the DL, call up jose.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Posted by fgug[/QUOTE]

Its' pretty obvious.  The Red Sox would be 110 and 11 right now if they had Alibike managing.  Or Geo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]How many games has he won?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    74?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's not so much how many games has Francona cost the team as much as it's how many times has Francona purposely put out a B-minus movie lineup, or basically white-flagging opponents. This is his biggest failure as a manager, the ability to sit too many regulars or key players  in a single game setting. I think pretty much everything else he's pretty wise at. He is getting better about pulling SPs at the right time. He always follows scouting reports to a tee, and rarely does the hunch game. But when it comes to sending fans a message that the Sox have zero to no chance v. certain opponents, he is a pro's pro at that. The moment the lineup card was on the wall with Crawford back in there, DMac, Aviles, the second game of the DH was basically over. He's done this more than a few times over the years. I do not want another manager, so I accept that failure on his part. It needs to be addressed though by other execs in the FO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Tito is an excellent big game manager, that's why he has won two pennant's. He throws away a few games ever year, usually he leaves a pitcher in too long. He always has his reason's for that. Overall he is a great manager. 

He was really limited today, Youk was hurt, but more importantly , Big Papi was out . He is a big problem for the opposing pitcher, big problem. So Crawford DH's instead of Big Papi? I guess Tito had no other option, I would have had Salty DH instead of Crawford, but hey what do I know.

Lowrie cost them some runs last night, leaving Albers in there after giving up 2 straight hits cost them. They lost. I just hope Papi isn't out for a prolonged period, or they are in trouble.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Salty was an easy choice to DH, he was not catching 2 games of a DH, and you do not get taxed from 4 at bats and running the bases. That's all you have to do. Not exertion there. So instead force-feed CC and then force-feed him in the middle of the lineup, not 9th or 8th. It's just mind-numbing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Posted by fgug[/QUOTE]

So you're saying this is a 115-120 win team?  Despite losing 2/5 of the starting rotation and 1/5 (Lackey) not exactly having a HOF season?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -()TheBabe()-. Show -()TheBabe()-'s posts

Not enough IMHO......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"So you're saying this is a 115-120 win team?  Despite losing 2/5 of the starting rotation and 1/5 (Lackey) not exactly having a HOF season?"

Ha ha that's a really good point. 

Welcome fgug to the armchair manager club. Let's do the math shall we? The sox seem on pace to win about 95 games right? Maybe 100? So you're saying with a different manager we would be heading towards 120 wins. 

I believe that breaks the all time American League wins record.

We know the team isn't that good, so I'm assuming you are more comfortable saying this team is a 100 win team. 

So you're basically arguing that at worst Francona has cost us a handful of games, no more. That's how the math breaks out. Five max. 

So, that's your answer: 5 or less. On a playoff bound team that has two rings under his management. 

Let's hear who the better all around manager is from your view just so we know. 

(p.s. I am not one to argue Francona is perfect. But I'm not a fan of whining after a loss)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

dannycater hit the nail on the head on another good point. one thing tito does that drives me crazy is that he playes all the bench guys in one game instead of maybe starting one each game in a succession of games. having dmac, tek, and aviles all playing the same game is just asking to for a loss. start one of them not all 3. thats 1/3 of the line up that is basically an auto out. combine that with crawford sucking it up and reddick in a gigantic slump and you have have basically 5 auto outs in the line up. lowrie is also not hitting much which only adds to the problem. the point is that when your team is struggling offensively, you dont start 3 bench guys in 1 game who are all horrible hitters. and this is not the first time the coma has done this. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Theo loves Lowrie, who is not capable of playing enough baseball to field any position at a MLB quality level.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by fgug[/QUOTE]
     Way less then he's WON !!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

[QUOTE]Salty was an easy choice to DH, he was not catching 2 games of a DH, and you do not get taxed from 4 at bats and running the bases. That's all you have to do. Not exertion there. So instead force-feed CC and then force-feed him in the middle of the lineup, not 9th or 8th. It's just mind-numbing.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

You would DH your second catcher?  I can see the following scenario: Varitek gets injured during the game, forcing Salty to catch, which means you no longer have a DH and your pitchers have to hit in the later innings.

If that happened the manager would be raked over the coals.  In an era where most teams carry 11-12 pitchers and 2 catchers, DHing you second catcher is a risky option.  Now if you had a scenario where you had a third guy like VMart or maybe Lavarnway in the future who plays 1B, DH, and catches some, then you could do it, but the way most teams construct their rosters, DHing the back-up catcher isn't an option.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

A bit of a slump  and we are all jumping off bridges ? 
    Tampa has  1 thing great pitching  and hitters were out of synch...

How often do you win a game in which you have  3 hits ?  That win    breaks up a losing streak or else they'd be closing the skywalk on the Pru...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

It is tough to watch that lineup play the Rays for sure ... but Youk, Scut, Papi all had issues and couldn't play.  Not good timing for THEM.  Tito didn't hurt Youk and Scut's backs, nor did he give Papi bursitis.   Unfortunate, yes. 

But we got a split, today is a different day, if Gonzo wakes up from his slump we will all forget about last nights game.  Lackey will give them 7 strong today!  He wants that 3rd starter job. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

Posted by fgug[/QUOTE]

well stated, and now you'll hear from the 'coma lovers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

[QUOTE]Not enough IMHO......
    Posted by -()TheBabe()-[/QUOTE]

i don't blame you babe; if i was a yankee fan, i'd want 'coma as the red sox manager.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The idiocy of the "Coma" crowd on parade again.

He gets credit for all of the losses and none of the wins.

A team on pace for 99 wins isn't good enough, we should be winning 115-120.

Amazing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]i have to agree that franconas stupidy has cost the sox many games. As for the ss situation, neither scutaro or lowrie is the answer. Lowrie is quite below average defensively and is not good enough to be playing ss at the major league level. Scutaro is average defensively and dont be fooled by his recent hitting outburst. He has struggled to even hit .270 this year and for the most part has been useless with the bat. Neither of them are the answer to the sox ss problems. The answer is jose iglesias. He may not hit much, but hsi defensive abilities are way better than scutaro or lowrie's. Tonights game was a prime example as to why a really good defensive ss can be just as valuable as a good offensive one. Lowrie pretty much single-handedly cost us the game with his defensive blunders. Honestly we have nothing to lose by calling up iglesias and giving him some playing time. Scutaro is hurt and lowrie is terrible defensively. Put scutaro on the DL, call up jose.  
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

I wish that Alex Gonzalez was still with the Red Sox.  He is better than either Scutaro or Lowrie. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by fgug[/QUOTE]

Because they were both hurt. How is that?

Sections
Shortcuts