How many games has Francona cost this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: How many games has Francona cost this team?

I say Francona has cost the team 62 losses.  This team should be 162-0 on the year.  If it was not for the idiot manager, they would win every game 12-0, and the pitchers would never even give up a hit. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: How many games has Francona cost this team?:
    In Response to Re: How many games has Francona cost this team? : And your "managing the team while they're on the field" standard is that they never lose a game.  And 90% of what you accuse him of failing to do is uninformed conjecture, usually based on 20-20 hindsight.  I will cite just one small example.  Had you been a Dodgers fan in 1951 when Bobby Thomson hit the home run heard around the world, you would have given him absolutely no credit.  You would have instead called it, "the stupidest mistake a Dodger manager ever made, sending Ralph Branca out there to pitch to Bobby Thomson.  And, once he did send him out, he should have walked Thomson and pitched to that punk kid in the on deck circle."  Or something like that. What you and georom and bosox1941 and a few others can never acknowledge is that most of the time the players decide who wins and who loses.  Yesterday, for example, the Sox were actually lucky to get that split because the Rays pitching was dominant and I think gave up 6 hits in two games.  Fortunately, Ellsbury hit that semi-miraculous dinger in the first game, and Lester went a very gutsy 7 innings, giving up 1 run, and Bard and Papelbon finished things off.  Sox won a game they were very lucky to win.  Last night the Sox weren't so lucky.  Lowrie made a bonehead throw which cost two crucial early runs.  Without it, the Tek and Ellsbury dingers would have put the Sox up 2-1 when Bedard came out after the 6th.  But, again, the real problem was that the Sox, especially Gonzalez, Pedroia, and Crawford, weren't hitting, and Youk and Ortiz were out.  The point is, Francona didn't make that bad throw, and he never went to bat or make a single pitch.  The players lost that game--or the Rays players won it.  But in your view every single loss can attributed to one thing and one thing only--Francona didn't have the right guys on the field in the right places. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Great post Max but these guys don't read. They don't even know why certain players are on the bench. They rush to the forum not to debate but to troll. They know how to flame, incite, raise controversy, waste your time, and annoy. That is their game. As far as debate goes, you come here with an AK-47 and they arrive with a peashooter. No contest, but they certainly can annoy with that peashooter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You're right, Phil.  I'm just like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

In Response to Re: How many games has Francona cost this team? : correct on 1,  incorrect on 2,  incorrect on 3.  Not bad: .333 is a decent batting average.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

spaceman, don't be too sure. i could bat .667.
    the odds of batting 1.000 would be astronomical.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, I just did some calculations, and, after breaking down various algoryhtyms and examining a few chart overlays and probability ratios, I have determined that Francona has cost the team 37 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

In Response to Re: How many games has Francona cost this team? : And your "managing the team while they're on the field" standard is that they never lose a game.  And 90% of what you accuse him of failing to do is uninformed conjecture, usually based on 20-20 hindsight.  I will cite just one small example.  Had you been a Dodgers fan in 1951 when Bobby Thomson hit the home run heard around the world, you would have given him absolutely no credit.  You would have instead called it, "the stupidest mistake a Dodger manager ever made, sending Ralph Branca out there to pitch to Bobby Thomson.  And, once he did send him out, he should have walked Thomson and pitched to that punk kid in the on deck circle."  Or something like that. What you and georom and bosox1941 and a few others can never acknowledge is that most of the time the players decide who wins and who loses.  Yesterday, for example, the Sox were actually lucky to get that split because the Rays pitching was dominant and I think gave up 6 hits in two games.  Fortunately, Ellsbury hit that semi-miraculous dinger in the first game, and Lester went a very gutsy 7 innings, giving up 1 run, and Bard and Papelbon finished things off.  Sox won a game they were very lucky to win.  Last night the Sox weren't so lucky.  Lowrie made a bonehead throw which cost two crucial early runs.  Without it, the Tek and Ellsbury dingers would have put the Sox up 2-1 when Bedard came out after the 6th.  But, again, the real problem was that the Sox, especially Gonzalez, Pedroia, and Crawford, weren't hitting, and Youk and Ortiz were out.  The point is, Francona didn't make that bad throw, and he never went to bat or make a single pitch.  The players lost that game--or the Rays players won it.  But in your view every single loss can attributed to one thing and one thing only--Francona didn't have the right guys on the field in the right places. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

too bad there isn't a lot of money to be made in 'BOOT-LICKING.'
    you'd be a rich man, max.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

You're right, Phil.  I'm just like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

actually, you and pawsex are more like BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Yazzer, don't get into statistics.
    Remember what you did as a carpenter when you cut a two by four six times and it was still too short.

9. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts