How many loses will be acceptable next year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

How many loses will be acceptable next year?

Will the fan base really support a team with 90-100 loses. I'm not exactly thrilled with the early returns of Sox youth movement. Iglesias, Larvarnway, Kalish, Gomez are not exactly major league ready. Middlebrooks looks to be a keeper, yet at times he strikesout at an alarming rate. If Sox are 15 games behind at the break, it could make for a long summer. The pitching staff will need to carry team, and I don't see this happening, and bull-pen still needs a major upgrade. One good thing to come of this...the pink hats will have to find a new team to root for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: How many loses will be acceptable next year?

In response to How many loses will be acceptable next year?:

Will the fan base really support a team with 90-100 loses. I'm not exactly thrilled with the early returns of Sox youth movement. Iglesias, Larvarnway, Kalish, Gomez are not exactly major league ready. Middlebrooks looks to be a keeper, yet at times he strikesout at an alarming rate. If Sox are 15 games behind at the break, it could make for a long summer. The pitching staff will need to carry team, and I don't see this happening, and bull-pen still needs a major upgrade. One good thing to come of this...the pink hats will have to find a new team to root for.

None of them. While its going to be a rebuilding year and we will lose lots of games, I resent what EPSTINK did to this franchise. Its NOT acceptable. The shape in which he left this franchise is absolutely disgusting. That negates any role he had in the rings we won. He really only played a big role in one of them, and now he is gone and left a mess for others to clean up.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The good thing about rebuilding in this sport , with a large market team, is that it usually can be done in a shorter period of time than most people think.

I would guess ( with all the right moves) a team like Boston could completely rebuild in 3-4 years.

The good news is "complete" rebuilding is not necessary. The team has many "keepers" and fewer "rejects" than the media would have you believe.

I would say this team could even compete for a wildcard spot by next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The good thing about rebuilding in this sport , with a large market team, is that it usually can be done in a shorter period of time than most people think.

I would guess ( with all the right moves) a team like Boston could completely rebuild in 3-4 years.

The good news is "complete" rebuilding is not necessary. The team has many "keepers" and fewer "rejects" than the media would have you believe.

I would say this team could even compete for a wildcard spot by next year.

I wish I could agree with your optimisym. Sox will need hold overs to stay healthy, with Ellsbury, Pedroia breaking down annually don't see it happenning. Ortiz will be fortunate to break 120 games. I'll watch anyway being a fan of the Dick  Stuart teams of the sixties  I know what it's like to lose a 100 games. IMO opionion next year is going to be a tough one, but if done right it could set up the Sox for a championship run in the years that follow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

to add....a big market team (and their fanbase that support them) should never strive for anything below 95 wins.  with the resources available to them....ben, larry, cmdr data should field a team that wins 95 games every single year

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

We have to assume that Ortiz will not return next year. That will leave only Pedroia and Lester from the '07 team.
    Ben has many options available now that he has gutted the team, but will fans be content if he goes out and signs and/or trades for several veteran ballplayers? Are we to become like NY in order to compete better with them, or are we willing to endure several sub-par seasons in order to cultivate from within.
    The RS have always tried to build from the farm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

All of the loses will be acceptable, we have no choice as fans, and the front office will call it a rebuilding phase, which in their eyes will be acceptable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox need to go 20-10 over their final 30 games to finish with a winning record this season. A 10-20 finish will result in a 90-loss season for the first time since 1966.

The Sox are 9-19 in August and were 7-20 last September.

Of course, the Red Sox engineered a quick turnaround from that 90-loss season in 1966.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The FO has never even suggested a rebuilding year. They will make deals this winter and compete next year. With the right moves, good pitching and ifthis team can be a little healthier, We will get a WC spot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

We have to assume that Ortiz will not return next year. That will leave only Pedroia and Lester from the '07 team.
    Ben has many options available now that he has gutted the team, but will fans be content if he goes out and signs and/or trades for several veteran ballplayers? Are we to become like NY in order to compete better with them, or are we willing to endure several sub-par seasons in order to cultivate from within.
    The RS have always tried to build from the farm.

It remains to be seen what direction the FO will take this off season.  I don't foresee them offering any long term contracts, since they just rid themselves of 3 of them.  It does appear, hopefully, that they are going to refocus on the building from the farm.

That said, the Sox have a lot of money to play around with.  There's no reason why they can't sign some very good players to shorter term deals and remain competitive while developing the kids.

It will be an interesting offseason, and Ben has his work cut out for him, but I think the Sox can compete next year if the right moves are made.