How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

How many years in a row now? 4? 5? 6? Year after year after year it's the same thing:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

Time and time again I've listed the COUNTLESS public, SELFISH outbursts this guy has had.

Yes, he has been  incredible for this team, on the field. He should have left it at that. Had he NEVER opened his mouth, he would have gotten pretty much the same money right along. He went to FA once...nobody wanted him! What was it? 2011? Yet he has to continually open his big, selfish mouth.

For me, this will forever keep him from being the greatest Red Sox player of all time. Had he been a mute, I'd have liked him far more. Yes, take awayALL the positive things he's said as well. I don't think they add up to all the nonsense.

"This is bs...I want to talk about my rbi" - after breaking into Francona's conference

"Aceves should be starting, I don't know what the problem is" - 2011 I think

"Maybe I'll go to NYY if this is how it's going to be" - also 2011 I believe

I'm working off of memory, but all things he's said, in addition to the contract stuff for half a decade, IN ADDITION to more.

Unreal. Coming off a World Series Championship. With everything that has happened in Bostin within the Past year, and a VERY important Patriots Day coming up...and he's talking contract.

The most disappointing thing is it shouldn't even be a surprise. It's what he's always done.

I take that back...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

It's not all about him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

Read the thread based on this same thing started by your buddy Bill.......but thanks for crowding the forum with another useless thread to serve no purpose...other than your own ego.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

The man is not asking for 4 or 5 yr contract.  He's just trying to be vocal on what he wants.  What's wrong with Papi asking for 1 or 2 more yrs on his contract?  I don't think he's asking for too much to be honest.  He's just bringing this issue to the media in hopes to start negotiation with the front office.  David going to the media about his contract means the front office hasn't been engaged in any talks with Ortiz and his agent.  He's not threatening.  He just wants to stay few more yrs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

How many years in a row now? 4? 5? 6? Year after year after year it's the same thing:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

Time and time again I've listed the COUNTLESS public, SELFISH outbursts this guy has had.

Yes, he has been  incredible for this team, on the field. He should have left it at that. Had he NEVER opened his mouth, he would have gotten pretty much the same money right along. He went to FA once...nobody wanted him! What was it? 2011? Yet he has to continually open his big, selfish mouth.

For me, this will forever keep him from being the greatest Red Sox player of all time. Had he been a mute, I'd have liked him far more. Yes, take awayALL the positive things he's said as well. I don't think they add up to all the nonsense.

"This is bs...I want to talk about my rbi" - after breaking into Francona's conference

I'm working off of memory, but all things he's said, in addition to the contract stuff for half a decade, IN ADDITION to more.

Unreal. Coming off a World Series Championship. With everything that has happened in Bostin within the Past year, and a VERY important Patriots Day coming up...and he's talking contract.

The most disappointing thing is it shouldn't even be a surprise. It's what he's always done.

I take that back...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

It's not all about him.

I'm not sure what good he thinks it does, taking it public. Let your Agent do the talking, it's what he's paid to do, let your play do the talking. I think it's the other side of him, that tend to excuse some of the more unfavorable behavior.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

duplicate

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

GREAT post......Oh my gooooodness, how can anyone question some of the "T-BALLERS" on this board on why the SOX should just sit back and keep paying PAPI 15MIL per year FOR EVAA !!!

Not "FOR EVAA." Just two or three more years. He's earned it in spades! Jeebuz, Bill... you act like it's coming out of your pocket. If the Sox agree to pay him, what does it have to do with you?

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I take note of the contrasting personalities of Edgar Martinez and David Ortiz, two of baseball's all-time greatest designated hitters.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to tvfrank's comment:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

If you're happy the SOX have won 3 WS, than, yes, it is all about him.

If your happy with your Red Sox, you can keep them.....  If your happy with PAPI, you can keep him too........    PERIOD  !!!!

Yep....and I hope Ben does his due dilligence and does keep the most clutch performer THE RED SOX HAVE EVER SEEN for as long as he wants to play.  Good post Bill....good to see you've come around on this topic....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

5 days after the WS you can get a guaranteed Contract, about 15 million.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I see nothing wrong whatsoever with Papi wanting another year, but he should work a little bit on his messaging...every time this subject comes up, he comes across like he's making demands and giving ultimatums through the media. It should be enough to just say "I want to be a Red Sox for the rest of my career, I'm sure we'll talk in the spring, hopefully something can get done" and leave it at that.

That said, just give him the extra year. There is some risk with that at his age, obviously, but coming off a .300-30-100 season I'll take my chances that he won't undergo some kind of sudden, precipitous decline. As I've said before, I respect and admire the prudence with which Ben C. has (for the most part) run the team so far, but if there's a player you should stick your neck out for a little bit, it's Ortiz. He deserves it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Gotta say...

I very much like David Ortiz on the field, but his schtick off the field is wearing thin with me. 

If there's one thing he understands it's public opinion and he understands that he's now the face of the Red Sox.  He also understands the value of a harmonious clubhouse and it appears that he's now telling Sox management that if they don't give him what he wants he's going to rain a shipstorm of distractions of historic proportions onto them during the regular season.  They have a choice.  They can give him what he wants and keep the clubhouse happy or they can take their chances with an unhappy David Ortiz.

He also knows that trading him almost out of the question because nobody is going to take on his salary.  Therefore trading him also means paying a solid portion of his salary for 2014.

The way I see it the Sox can either pay him to *QUIET* him up and possibly win or they can not pay him and put up with his continuing to act like a spoiled kid - and lose.  Or a third option, if he wants to keep talking about playing someplace else they can give him a chance to do that and shop him around. 

He's becoming nothing more than Alfredo Aceves, only with talent, and I wouldn't blame them a bit if they took Option #3.

*This word was synonym for close but it wasn't allowed*.  This is so stupid. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

Ditto

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

Ditto

hey Carn!!..how are ya bud?.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Gotta say...

I very much like David Ortiz on the field, but his schtick off the field is wearing thin with me. 

He's not threatening to sit out, so what's the big deal?

If there's one thing he understands it's public opinion and he understands that he's now the face of the Red Sox.  He also understands the value of a harmonious clubhouse and it appears that he's now telling Sox management that if they don't give him what he wants he's going to rain a shipstorm of distractions of historic proportions onto them during the regular season. 

Nobody will be distracted by what Papi is saying this winter.

They have a choice.  They can give him what he wants and keep the clubhouse happy or they can take their chances with an unhappy David Ortiz.

This has very little to do with the "clubhouse": it has to do with Papi and management.

He also knows that trading him almost out of the question because nobody is going to take on his salary.  Therefore trading him also means paying a solid portion of his salary for 2014.

I think a few teams would take on Papi and his salary. The reason he wouldn't get this much on the open market is the lost draft pick attached to QO FAs.

The way I see it the Sox can either pay him to *QUIET* him up and possibly win or they can not pay him and put up with his continuing to act like a spoiled kid - and lose. 

It's not pay to "keep him quiet"; it's pay to perform going forward, and maybe partially to pay for past heroics- nothing new to baseball.

Or a third option, if he wants to keep talking about playing someplace else they can give him a chance to do that and shop him around. 

Not gonna happen.

He's becoming nothing more than Alfredo Aceves, only with talent, and I wouldn't blame them a bit if they took Option #3.

Really? Alfredo? Come on!

They don't allow the word "S-h-o-r-t-" either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Gotta say...

If there's one thing he understands it's public opinion and he understands that he's now the face of the Red Sox.  He also understands the value of a harmonious clubhouse and it appears that he's now telling Sox management that if they don't give him what he wants he's going to rain a shipstorm of distractions of historic proportions onto them during the regular season.  They have a choice.  They can give him what he wants and keep the clubhouse happy or they can take their chances with an unhappy David Ortiz.

The way I see it the Sox can either pay him to *QUIET* him up and possibly win or they can not pay him and put up with his continuing to act like a spoiled kid - and lose.  Or a third option, if he wants to keep talking about playing someplace else they can give him a chance to do that and shop him around. 

These off-season public-airing of money-biz snaps that Papi has now made an annual occurence are certainly not his finest moments.  No doubt.

But, I don't think it plays out the way you suggest.  I don't think he is holding the club hostage or else he will be  a bad influence on the chemistry or something.  Based on past moments like this, I think its pretty clear that, right or wrong, he takes his push for a better deal while still under contract to the court of public opinion, but it has no bearing on his baseball.  He will be a leader of this club whether the club gives him anything more than what his contract avails or not.  I agree it is not the best way to do business, but it thats all it is: business, the papi way.  He doesnt take the money stuff in with him.  he leaves it at the clubhouse door.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I don't see any harm in a rolling extension. Puts RS on the hook for only another year after a drop-off. Give the guy a target to hit every year as motivation for the next extra contract year. If he keeps producing, no reason not to keep him

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

hey Carn!!..how are ya bud?..

Ditto

Looking forward to som baseball jete. The sea dogs should be fun to watch this year between Betts, Cecchini and Owens.

Sections
Shortcuts