How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Re: How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

How many years in a row now? 4? 5? 6? Year after year after year it's the same thing:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

Time and time again I've listed the COUNTLESS public, SELFISH outbursts this guy has had.

Yes, he has been  incredible for this team, on the field. He should have left it at that. Had he NEVER opened his mouth, he would have gotten pretty much the same money right along. He went to FA once...nobody wanted him! What was it? 2011? Yet he has to continually open his big, selfish mouth.

For me, this will forever keep him from being the greatest Red Sox player of all time. Had he been a mute, I'd have liked him far more. Yes, take awayALL the positive things he's said as well. I don't think they add up to all the nonsense.

"This is bs...I want to talk about my rbi" - after breaking into Francona's conference

"Aceves should be starting, I don't know what the problem is" - 2011 I think

"Maybe I'll go to NYY if this is how it's going to be" - also 2011 I believe

I'm working off of memory, but all things he's said, in addition to the contract stuff for half a decade, IN ADDITION to more.

Unreal. Coming off a World Series Championship. With everything that has happened in Bostin within the Past year, and a VERY important Patriots Day coming up...and he's talking contract.

The most disappointing thing is it shouldn't even be a surprise. It's what he's always done.

I take that back...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

It's not all about him.

Yes, dingbat, it IS about him! You just don't get it. Look at the deals the Red Sox have handed guys that are a fraction of the value, personality, etc. He's an automatic 1st ballt HOF, and the sox are treating him like someone they might invite to spring training. I wouldn't wait five minutes, if I were Ortiz; I;d be signing with the Yankees tomorrow if thee sox didn't get off their butts tonight!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I find it hilarious that nobody even disputes his selfish outbursts...most are seemingly ok with it.

Jock sniffing, ball washing, star worshipping clowns. I'm surrounded by them.

It's not only about what you do, it's how you conduct yourself as well. 

I guess I'm alone in that, as another poster already said his wish list has Ryan Braun at the top...if ever there was proof that only results matter, there it is. Ryan Braun is a cheating, selfish, arrogant a s s hole. He's proven that all by his big boy self.

I think when we see how the world is deteriorating around us, we can not be so analretentive and let some chit slide man.  This isn't the ARod dillema, Aaron Hernandez serial killing, Alfonso Dennard violating probation from punching a cop, Otis Nixon arrested for crack, Lawrence Taylor the same.  This isn't Roger Clemens, Dennis Rodman, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Braun, Chad Ochocinco, Floyd Mayweather, Jr..  It is just nothing to get worked up over man.  There are bigger things to worry about and people doing much more offensive things IMO.

If this were during the season, I would not take so kindly to it as I thought was unprofessional in the past.  The fact that Lester and Papi are talking contracts in the last year of their deal says that they value security over the most money possible and I don't mind that one bit.   We have paid Papi well over his career, but not to the levels that he could have been paid on the open market.  The dude is a beast and is one of the best Red Sox hitters of all time.

I have the opposite feeling based on that very same point.

As the world deteriorates around us...people just accept more and more chit, and the cycle is continued, and increased.

Ted Williams, as far as I know, never whined about money. He didn't like PEOPLE. Different issue. I'm 33, so I wasn't around, but being a curmudgeon is one thing. Being "Big Papi" and taking all the positive that comes with it, then turning around and proving to be a consistently selfishly-motivated person...that kind of hypocrisy maddens me.

On the Patriots forum, a poster commented that they would NEVER shake the hand of someone who just beat them, and couldn't understand why anyone would.

I responded in 3 words, "It's called sportsmanship".

They admitted to being a bad sport.

Though I don't agree with their feelings, I RESPECT their honesty and up-front nature. 

Ortiz is playing both sides. He's like some slimeball politician and I can't stand it.

I would rather lose with honest guys I like than win with disingenuous, selfish frauds.

You'd back Ortiz if he held the team hostage for 100 million(not you, someone said that)?

The name on the FRONT matters...NOT the back.

It's the BOSTON RED SOX.

Not the BOSTON ORTIZ'.

Or the ORTIZ' RED SOX.

I can't believe I'm even having this argument. Boston didn't used to be all about this. Not winning a championship is a disappointment and a failure to Pats fans. Ortiz is bigger than the Sox to Sox fans...

This is seriously fked up. The fans have gone bat s h i t fking CRAZY!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

What if:

Pedroia

Lester

Buccholz

Uehara

Napoli

ALL did the same thing? Would you all be so accepting? Because, if you start to have a GROUP of guys acting like this, it destroys the team in the clubhouse, and out. Had so many players not signed friendly deals, they couldn't all be here together winning a ring in 2013!

Napoli, who had a 3/39 deal ripped away for questionable medical concerns came back on a one year deal...got his ring...and RESIGNED! Not only resigned, resigned when it was WIDELY reported there was MORE MONEY ELSEWHERE.

Let Ortiz walk. PLEASE. Fans around here would realize life goes on. And Ortiz could find out what it's like to be in a town there you're just a baseball player...not revered like a fking god.

Is Ortiz important to the Sox? Yes!

Are the Sox important to Ortiz? ... I'm not sure. "It's just a business" according to him.

Ir Ortiz important to Boston? More than he deserves.

Is Boston important to Ortiz? Less than people want to admit. Does he live here in the offseason? Does he have any business interests in Boston? He married, and became a Packers fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

I support Papi, yes!

He has been the biggest Sox hero ever!

I wish every Sox player would mirrored Papi's behavior in World Series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

What if:

Pedroia

Lester

Buccholz

Uehara

Napoli

ALL did the same thing? Would you all be so accepting? Because, if you start to have a GROUP of guys acting like this, it destroys the team in the clubhouse, and out. Had so many players not signed friendly deals, they couldn't all be here together winning a ring in 2013!

Napoli, who had a 3/39 deal ripped away for questionable medical concerns came back on a one year deal...got his ring...and RESIGNED! Not only resigned, resigned when it was WIDELY reported there was MORE MONEY ELSEWHERE.

Let Ortiz walk. PLEASE. Fans around here would realize life goes on. And Ortiz could find out what it's like to be in a town there you're just a baseball player...not revered like a fking god.

Is Ortiz important to the Sox? Yes!

Are the Sox important to Ortiz? ... I'm not sure. "It's just a business" according to him.

Ir Ortiz important to Boston? More than he deserves.

Is Boston important to Ortiz? Less than people want to admit. Does he live here in the offseason? Does he have any business interests in Boston? He married, and became a Packers fan.

I have no problem with the MVP or any other MLB player looking to make extra money. Good for them.

I believe Boston is important to Ortiz.... his heart will always be tied to Boston, even if he does move on.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

Watch the interview...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/27/red-sox-ortiz-on-sports-final-hopefully-i-wont-have-to-wear-another-uniform/

Burton asked Ortiz how long he wanted to play.... it was an interview.

Exactly, it's not like Papi demanded an audience, called a press conference and threatended to sit out a year, if they don't pay more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Whatever happened to living up to one's word and finishing out a contract. 

Did I miss something?

Has Papi ever not lived up to a contract? 

Has he threatened to not honor this contract?

Mountains out of molehills.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I find it hilarious that nobody even disputes his selfish outbursts...most are seemingly ok with it.

I guess I'm alone in that, as another poster already said his wish list has Ryan Braun at the top...if ever there was proof that only results matter, there it is. Ryan Braun is a cheating, selfish, arrogant a s s hole. He's proven that all by his big boy self.

I think when we see how the world is deteriorating around us, we can not be so analretentive and let some chit slide man.  This isn't the ARod dillema, Aaron Hernandez serial killing, Alfonso Dennard violating probation from punching a cop, Otis Nixon arrested for crack, Lawrence Taylor the same.  This isn't Roger Clemens, Dennis Rodman, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Braun, Chad Ochocinco, Floyd Mayweather, Jr..  It is just nothing to get worked up over man.  There are bigger things to worry about and people doing much more offensive things IMO.

If this were during the season, I would not take so kindly to it as I thought was unprofessional in the past.  The fact that Lester and Papi are talking contracts in the last year of their deal says that they value security over the most money possible and I don't mind that one bit.   We have paid Papi well over his career, but not to the levels that he could have been paid on the open market.  The dude is a beast and is one of the best Red Sox hitters of all time.

As the world deteriorates around us...people just accept more and more chit, and the cycle is continued, and increased.

Ted Williams, as far as I know, never whined about money. He didn't like PEOPLE. Different issue. I'm 33, so I wasn't around, but being a curmudgeon is one thing. Being "Big Papi" and taking all the positive that comes with it, then turning around and proving to be a consistently selfishly-motivated person...that kind of hypocrisy maddens me.

On the Patriots forum, a poster commented that they would NEVER shake the hand of someone who just beat them, and couldn't understand why anyone would.

Though I don't agree with their feelings, I RESPECT their honesty and up-front nature. 

Ortiz is playing both sides. He's like some slimeball politician and I can't stand it.

I would rather lose with honest guys I like than win with disingenuous, selfish frauds.

You'd back Ortiz if he held the team hostage for 100 million(not you, someone said that)?

It's the BOSTON RED SOX.

Not the BOSTON ORTIZ'.

Or the ORTIZ' RED SOX.

I can't believe I'm even having this argument. Boston didn't used to be all about this. Not winning a championship is a disappointment and a failure to Pats fans. Ortiz is bigger than the Sox to Sox fans...

Yes, you have. Why not become a Yank fan?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

Sure, let's bring back the Sox of the 85 years before Papi.

This guys is the greatest hero the Boston Red Sox has ever seen, and you clowns treat him like this.

It's a wonder anyone wants to play in Boston with fans like some of you clowns.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's the BOSTON RED SOX.

Not the BOSTON ORTIZ'.

Or the ORTIZ' RED SOX.

[/QUOTE]

I agree... you are going crazy over a minor point about Ortiz that you view as a larger issue with our current culture and where it is heading.  Why aren't you getting all bent out of shape about Lester saying the same thing?  It's ok if you don't like the man or his method of communication.  You think that he is a dishonest politician... most people familiar with the public eye are that way.  They are actors, entertainers and sportsmen. 

Ted Williams wasn't the nicest guy, nor Cobb, Roger, Bonds and many other egomaniacal people in the entertainment or sports industry.  George Foreman used to be the villian and was brash like Jim Rice... both learned to mend the public image.  I don't turn off the TV when I see them on because sometimes perception is reality.  Have they turned into nicer guys, or are they just wiser?  Does that mean they are dishonest?  I think that Ortiz is being very honest and so was Lester and both gave the same message.  Ortiz chose different words and has a different personality, so I respect that.

The best way to spread the positive energy you wish to portray is to keep the message positive.  There are people that don't have the same values as you in every area of life.  My girlfriend's family is from Vietnam and I am from Boston... the culture is different. 

It is also difficult to speak in a non-native language and get the same meaning across.  I saw the same message that Ortiz got across as Lester... I'm sure if the message was given in Spanish that Lester would probably have some native speakers take his tone or afliction the wrong way talking about the same thing in reverse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

This guys is the greatest hero the Boston Red Sox has ever seen, and you clowns treat him like this.

On one of these Ortiz threads, someone posted it's better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late. So if Ortiz struggles this year or gets hurt, does that mean it would have been better if the Sox had gotten rid of him before last season -- that would have been a year too early.

I've been gone all day and the level of idiocy on these Ortiz theads is beyond ridiculous.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

On one of these Ortiz threads, someone posted it's better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late. So if Ortiz struggles this year or gets hurt, does that mean it would have been better if the Sox had gotten rid of him before last season -- that would have been a year too early.

I've been gone all day and the level of idiocy on these Ortiz theads is beyond ridiculous.

Agreed.

We are not going to sign Papi to a 3 or 4 year deal, so I don't get what all the fuss is about. We're talking maybe a year or two extension.

Yeah, it would hurt to pay him $15-16M to not play (if injured) or to bat .240 15 60, but even if that does happen, the Papi legacy was worth every cent and then some.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

I support Papi, yes!

He has been the biggest Sox hero ever!

I wish every Sox player would mirrored Papi's behavior in World Series.

But do you wish every Sox player mirrored his behavior off the field?

Is it a 3 or 4 year deal he's asking for? No. Funny, that was the same argument 3 year ago. And 4. and 5. and 6.

You know, some people seem to forget...he didn't play great all those years. 

He hasn't always been underpaid.

But that never stopped his mouth. If this was the first time...maybe even only the 3rd or 4th time, I wouldn't mind so much. But this is a pattern of selfish behavior that is INDISPUTABLE. 

Funny, I don't see anywhere Ortiz mentions "home team discount" or alludes to wanting anything less than an overpayment based on the current market. So, I don't see how Lester said the same thing.

Become a Yankee fan? Yeah, because what I'M saying is just "PAY WHATEVER HE WANTS!" No, that's what YOU are saying Moon, along with many others. And THAT is EXACTLY how Yankee fans act. I can't believe something so ignorant and foolish came out of your mouth.

When the team collapsed in 2011, where was he? When Valentine destroyed this team, where was he? He is NOT a clubhouse leader, I don't care what trumped up pre-game speeches he gives. After all that drama, he used the press again to say "Maybe I'll go to the NYY." Not, "maybe I'll go elsewhere", he specifically took a low blow s h o t and mentioned the NYY as the team he would explore going to. Damon anyone? And he didn't threaten that, he did it after Theo LAUGHED at him! Oh, but the fans couldn't accept that. They guy tried to, literally, run through walls for this team. But the Sox didn't want to pay him, the Yankees did...and he's the bad guy. This is the SAME SITUATION, and somehow, Ortiz is the good guy, and if he also went to the NYY, somehow...fans would boo the Sox over it.

But I'M the crazy one.

Red Sox fans have become the most out-of-touch, unlikable bunch of fans I know. I can not believe the insane star worship that goes on. It's like watching a bunch of teenagers drool over Bruno Mars.

If you applied what Ortiz is doing to ANY other facet of life, none of you would accept it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I really can't believe we're still talking about the RBI thing in -- what was it -- 2011? Seriously, some people act like that was a sin on the level of Manny shoving Jack McCormick to the ground.

Is that supposed to prove for all time that Papi is a jerk? A clubhouse cancer?

Have you ever heard that anyone on the RS has even whispered such a thing about him?

Did you not watch last season? Did you not see the effect he had on his teammates in the playoffs?

This is a silly discussion -- driven by the lack of much else to talk about, I guess. As to the question "How many times does Ortiz have to do this?" ...I hope a few more, because that would imply he will still be doing his thing and mashing the baseball for years to come. If having to listen to a less-than-tactful comment about his contract from time to time is the price you pay for getting to watch this man in a Red Sox uniform, sign me up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If you applied what Ortiz is doing to ANY other facet of life, none of you would accept it.

What would be the every day equivalent of carrying a team on your back to win a World Championship? 

If a person is essential to a commercial venture they are richly rewarded, or they freely move on to another job where they are richly rewarded. They can do this as many times as a commercial venture is willing to pay.  Unless you are a Marxist you accept that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

"If you applied what Ortiz is doing to ANY other facet of life, none of you would accept it."

Um, most sane people act the same way.

"I had a great year. Give me a raise, or I'm going to work somewhere else."

The only difference is we don't have reporters asking us about it.

People complain when players give canned, bland responses.

And they complain when players are honest about what they think.

Some folks just like to complain...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

That is a matter of opinion.  Gald is on our team but he is a diva.  Ted Williams is the greatest Red Sox of all time in my opinion.  He had to go thirty more feet in right for a homer, take time out for two wars and deal with one pair of spikes for the season with no trainers and terrible road conditions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Red Sox fans have become the most out-of-touch, unlikable bunch of fans I know. I can not believe the insane star worship that goes on. It's like watching a bunch of teenagers drool over Bruno Mars.

[/QUOTE]

That may be so.  But if Sox fans (as if we have any collective ethos) are out-of-touch and unlikable, it is because we are so unbelievably quick to tear down our heroes, not because we love our sports heroes enough to overlook some insignificant off-season verbal diarhea about future contracts

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

So papi wants another year or 2? Not sure what all the hate is for. Some of you are pretty pathetic in your complaining about papi wanting another year or 2. get over it. If I carry a company on my back and they land some huge contracts (the equivilent to a WSC) I wpould certainly ask for a raise, contract, etc., or Im going elsewhere.

Even if Papis last year here isnt up to his standards, I dont care. Hes earned another year. A reporter asked his some questions and he answered. Its not like he sought out the media to state his case. Im glad some of you dont run a team. Your egos would clearly get in the way.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Uh oh...looks like Pedroia is a cancer too!

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/01/28/dustin-pedroia-on-weei-podcast-david-ortiz-should-be-given-whatever-he-wants/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Ortiz deserves an extension.....HOF

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

It's collusion, is what it is!!

Pedey will probably get a kick-back from Ortiz, when it's all over!

Sections
Shortcuts