How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Re: How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ty Law talks about money and gets hammered.

Nomar does the same and gets CRUCIFIED.

People trash the Sox for 'wasting' money on the last year with Schilling.

Right now, there is a debate going on because Richard Sherman seemingly put himself above his team.

But Ortiz CONSTANTLY makes it all about him, and people just go "oooo, Big Papi...whatever you say! You're bigger tan the team, or city!"

"This is our fking ceetee"

Remember that? Lester PROVES it. Pedroia PROVES it. Ortiz builds restaurants in Miami. He loves the celebrity, but he will NOT be one of the guys that lives here once his playing days are over.

People can make all the excuses they want for deplorable behavior. The last time I've heard such insane defending of such selfish actions were after "The Decision" where people tried to defend Lebron handling it as he did.

Ortiz' handling of this is completely wrong. This is not an individual s p o r t. Yes, I liked 2 WS Championships (they won in 2013, and I haven't been a stong supporter wince about 2010, so I willingly admit that's for others), but it's NOT all about him. He didn't bat 1-9, pitch, and play the field. 

This stuff sickens me. THe fans, I was right in calling them the worst part. He's done EVERYTHING s h o r t of hold out. If he does that, I have no doubt you same sheep would defend that too. Go buy bricks, I'm sure they'll still sell you more.

[/QUOTE]

Did you even watch the WS??? 

I think a player getting hammered for wanting more money is silly. The press should back off making this a topic. Of course a player is going to want more money, it is their job. If you're under contract at your company, wouldn't you want more money for the job your're doing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am not sure what Ortiz said that is so outrageous? He is the last year of his deal and he is starting the negotiations now....seems pretty standard to me....didn't Lester just answer questions about his possible free Agency the other day also? If he was in halfway through an 8 year deal and he was talking about renegotiating...I would be all over him....he is looking for an extension....he thinks he will play more than this next year and he wants the security that an extension would give him...doesn't every ball player, especially one in their late 30's?.....Papi blows out a knee this year his career and earning potential is over after that.....right now as the conquering WS hero he has as much leverage as he is going to have(and it still isnt much), so take the personal stuff out of it, it is good business for him to look for an extension.....why kill him for it. As a Free Agent he knows he would only get a 2 year deal, at best ....so there is no benefit for him to wait for Free Agency.....I think he has earned another year added to his contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

He does. He does not have to run his mouth to the press about it.

No, he doesn't have to, but so what? The guy wants an extension and went public with it. Wow! Blasphemy!

[/QUOTE]

Let us note the exclamation points are yours. I am certainly not excited about this issue. Just a little bored with Ortiz telling us all how sad he is about the contract that he chose to sign.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Right now, there is a debate going on because Richard Sherman seemingly put himself above his team.

But Ortiz CONSTANTLY makes it all about him, and people just go "oooo, Big Papi...whatever you say! You're bigger tan the team, or city!"

Remember that? Lester PROVES it. Pedroia PROVES it. Ortiz builds restaurants in Miami. He loves the celebrity, but he will NOT be one of the guys that lives here once his playing days are over.

People can make all the excuses they want for deplorable behavior. The last time I've heard such insane defending of such selfish actions were after "The Decision" where people tried to defend Lebron handling it as he did.

Ortiz' handling of this is completely wrong. This is not an individual s p o r t. Yes, I liked 2 WS Championships (they won in 2013, and I haven't been a stong supporter wince about 2010, so I willingly admit that's for others), but it's NOT all about him. He didn't bat 1-9, pitch, and play the field. 

This stuff sickens me. THe fans, I was right in calling them the worst part. He's done EVERYTHING s h o r t of hold out. If he does that, I have no doubt you same sheep would defend that too. Go buy bricks, I'm sure they'll still sell you more.

[/QUOTE]

Did you even watch the WS??? 

I think a player getting hammered for wanting more money is silly. The press should back off making this a topic. Of course a player is going to want more money, it is their job. If you're under contract at your company, wouldn't you want more money for the job your're doing?

[/QUOTE]

Probably. I sure wouldn't cry to people I didn't know about it though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

How many years in a row now? 4? 5? 6? Year after year after year it's the same thing:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

Time and time again I've listed the COUNTLESS public, SELFISH outbursts this guy has had.

Yes, he has been  incredible for this team, on the field. He should have left it at that. Had he NEVER opened his mouth, he would have gotten pretty much the same money right along. He went to FA once...nobody wanted him! What was it? 2011? Yet he has to continually open his big, selfish mouth.

For me, this will forever keep him from being the greatest Red Sox player of all time. Had he been a mute, I'd have liked him far more. Yes, take awayALL the positive things he's said as well. I don't think they add up to all the nonsense.

"This is bs...I want to talk about my rbi" - after breaking into Francona's conference

"Aceves should be starting, I don't know what the problem is" - 2011 I think

"Maybe I'll go to NYY if this is how it's going to be" - also 2011 I believe

I'm working off of memory, but all things he's said, in addition to the contract stuff for half a decade, IN ADDITION to more.

Unreal. Coming off a World Series Championship. With everything that has happened in Bostin within the Past year, and a VERY important Patriots Day coming up...and he's talking contract.

The most disappointing thing is it shouldn't even be a surprise. It's what he's always done.

I take that back...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

Like you said Ortiz has been incredible for the team. So does he have the right to tell them year after year that incredible mean more ?  Hell YA !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Watch the interview...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/27/red-sox-ortiz-on-sports-final-hopefully-i-wont-have-to-wear-another-uniform/

Burton asked Ortiz how long he wanted to play.... it was an interview.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How many years in a row now? 4? 5? 6? Year after year after year it's the same thing:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

Time and time again I've listed the COUNTLESS public, SELFISH outbursts this guy has had.

Yes, he has been  incredible for this team, on the field. He should have left it at that. Had he NEVER opened his mouth, he would have gotten pretty much the same money right along. He went to FA once...nobody wanted him! What was it? 2011? Yet he has to continually open his big, selfish mouth.

For me, this will forever keep him from being the greatest Red Sox player of all time. Had he been a mute, I'd have liked him far more. Yes, take awayALL the positive things he's said as well. I don't think they add up to all the nonsense.

"This is bs...I want to talk about my rbi" - after breaking into Francona's conference

"Aceves should be starting, I don't know what the problem is" - 2011 I think

"Maybe I'll go to NYY if this is how it's going to be" - also 2011 I believe

I'm working off of memory, but all things he's said, in addition to the contract stuff for half a decade, IN ADDITION to more.

Unreal. Coming off a World Series Championship. With everything that has happened in Bostin within the Past year, and a VERY important Patriots Day coming up...and he's talking contract.

The most disappointing thing is it shouldn't even be a surprise. It's what he's always done.

I take that back...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

I am not sure why he has to bring his issues to the media.  jacoby never discussed it openingly.  Yea, it is painful to hear but everyone has their own style.  But you cannot blame the guy, the sox trade away a very inexpensive Iggy for a not really needed Peavy who makes what, 15 million?  I hope they reach a contract that keeps Ortiz here, but I am tired of the no respect song.

[/QUOTE]

The difference between Jacoby and David is that jacoby was relatively young and approaching free agency and was basically assured a gargantuan long-term deal.  David Ortiz, due to his age, is grasping for an unforseeable tomorrow.  His bringing it public is a desparate tactic in a situation in which he has zero leverage.  That is not condoning or justifying the way he has handled these off-season situations.  Just saying that there is a big difference in the respective Ellsbury and Ortiz situations which makes it apples and oranges in terms of how they have handled it.

[/QUOTE]

Most players don't bring their contract issues to the public like david does.  He is a good player coming off a great year, but due to his age. I doubt he locks down a long term contract.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The man is not asking for 4 or 5 yr contract.  He's just trying to be vocal on what he wants.  What's wrong with Papi asking for 1 or 2 more yrs on his contract?  I don't think he's asking for too much to be honest.  He's just bringing this issue to the media in hopes to start negotiation with the front office.  David going to the media about his contract means the front office hasn't been engaged in any talks with Ortiz and his agent.  He's not threatening.  He just wants to stay few more yrs.  

[/QUOTE]

I hate being repetitive but again our FO has done absolutely nothing to prepare for the inevitable loss of Papi's bat through injury, decline or better offer.  You don't replace guys like Manny and Papi very easiliy.  These two have been huge in ever major offensive category from year to year.  Bogy may get there at some point but how many years down the road?

My wish list still includes the eventual break up of Gomes and Nava for the likes of Ryan Braun if he becomes available.  Compared to the huge salaries being handed out these days Ryan has a very reasonable long term contract.  Say what you want bout Ryan but the guy will have another huge 2014. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Blah,blah,blah,blah. Btw, whine,whine,whine,whine.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, that's all I hear from Ortiz, EVERY SINGLE OFF SEASON! Thank you for summing it up so succinctly. Especially the "whine" part.

Sure, he's coming off a great year now. That hasn't stopped him in the past. When he wasn't producing, oddly he didn't offer togive money back. 

Ortiz loves living in his one way world.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

The difference between Jacoby and David is that jacoby was relatively young and approaching free agency and was basically assured a gargantuan long-term deal.  David Ortiz, due to his age, is grasping for an unforseeable tomorrow.  His bringing it public is a desparate tactic in a situation in which he has zero leverage.  That is not condoning or justifying the way he has handled these off-season situations.  Just saying that there is a big difference in the respective Ellsbury and Ortiz situations which makes it apples and oranges in terms of how they have handled it.

[/QUOTE]

Most players don't bring their contract issues to the public like david does.  He is a good player coming off a great year, but due to his age. I doubt he locks down a long term contract.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not happening and certainly not at this juncture.  Thats why this is no big deal.  Ortiz is posturing a bit.  But it is a far cry from the obstructionist bent people are applying to it.  He isnt going to hold out.  he isnt making demands. He is not going to sulk and not play his best because he feels disrespected.  He is not going to be a problem.  Because, the only leverage he has in getting any extended career at all is his performance in 2014.  His posturing is meaningless.  So, thats how I am treating it anyway.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

He does. He does not have to run his mouth to the press about it.

[/QUOTE]

No, he doesn't have to, but so what? The guy wants an extension and went public with it. Wow! Blasphemy!

[/QUOTE]

Let us note the exclamation points are yours. I am certainly not excited about this issue. Just a little bored with Ortiz telling us all how sad he is about the contract that he chose to sign.

[/QUOTE]

There you go, I think bored is the perfect way to describe it.  Whatever happened to living up to one's word and finishing out a contract.  Yea, he had a great year but that's what he was paid to do. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Stop crying about Big Papi.  The guy is a master at forcing negotiations with the Red Sox and he has been our best hitter for a decade.  It's business and it's called leverage.  Papi is using his biggest weapon... the fans to his advantage.

I'm not mad... heck, I will write in letters of recommendation if I feel as though it would help the chances of Papi spending the rest of his career with the Red Sox.  Papi has had three very impressive years in a row after he injured his wrist and it threw him off for a year plus. 

A player is the player that he is, until he isn't.  Don't overthink it and just let the guy do his thing that he has been doing for many years now.  So long as he is batting cleanup, it isn't like having to deal with Manny being Manny... this is minor. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stop crying about Big Papi.  The guy is a master at forcing negotiations with the Red Sox and he has been our best hitter for a decade.  It's business and it's called leverage.  Papi is using his biggest weapon... the fans to his advantage.

I'm not mad... heck, I will write in letters of recommendation if I feel as though it would help the chances of Papi spending the rest of his career with the Red Sox.  Papi has had three very impressive years in a row after he injured his wrist and it threw him off for a year plus. 

A player is the player that he is, until he isn't.  Don't overthink it and just let the guy do his thing that he has been doing for many years now.  So long as he is batting cleanup, it isn't like having to deal with Manny being Manny... this is minor. 

[/QUOTE]

I have said this before and this is a prime example:  this crowd of people who would indignantly bash on Ortiz for something like this, guarantee they would have hated Ted Williams in his day if the coverage and communication technology were what they are today.  An off season contract gripe just does not register on my radar of things to get worked up over.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The man is not asking for 4 or 5 yr contract.  He's just trying to be vocal on what he wants.  What's wrong with Papi asking for 1 or 2 more yrs on his contract?  I don't think he's asking for too much to be honest.  He's just bringing this issue to the media in hopes to start negotiation with the front office.  David going to the media about his contract means the front office hasn't been engaged in any talks with Ortiz and his agent.  He's not threatening.  He just wants to stay few more yrs.  

[/QUOTE]

I hate being repetitive but again our FO has done absolutely nothing to prepare for the inevitable loss of Papi's bat through injury, decline or better offer.  You don't replace guys like Manny and Papi very easiliy.  These two have been huge in ever major offensive category from year to year.  Bogy may get there at some point but how many years down the road?

My wish list still includes the eventual break up of Gomes and Nava for the likes of Ryan Braun if he becomes available.  Compared to the huge salaries being handed out these days Ryan has a very reasonable long term contract.  Say what you want bout Ryan but the guy will have another huge 2014. 

[/QUOTE]

I see Mike Carp as the move to replace Big Papi over time IMO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I find it hilarious that nobody even disputes his selfish outbursts...most are seemingly ok with it.

Jock sniffing, ball washing, star worshipping clowns. I'm surrounded by them.

It's not only about what you do, it's how you conduct yourself as well. 

I guess I'm alone in that, as another poster already said his wish list has Ryan Braun at the top...if ever there was proof that only results matter, there it is. Ryan Braun is a cheating, selfish, arrogant a s s hole. He's proven that all by his big boy self.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have said this before and this is a prime example:  this crowd of people who would indignantly bash on Ortiz for something like this, guarantee they would have hated Ted Williams in his day if the coverage and communication technology were what they are today.  An off season contract gripe just does not register on my radar of things to get worked up over.

[/QUOTE]

Doubt it and it is all on the delivery.  Someone did once ask Ted what he would want in salary if playing then. His answer was they would have to give him the team.  Ted played his career in segments filled in with two wars. 

Just because people are bored with Ortiz's annual "I am not aprreciated speech" does not mean we don't like him.  If Ortiz wants to give it to the sox once in a while, then he and you should learn to take it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it is as simple as the guys on the radio having nothing to talk about and just stirring up a hornet's nest.  We had a freaking serial killer on the Pats last year... I agree, this isn't on my radar either.  Such a non-issue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubt it and it is all on the delivery.  Someone did once ask Ted what he would want in salary if playing then. His answer was they would have to give him the team.  Ted played his career in segments filled in with two wars. 

Just because people are bored with Ortiz's annual "I am not aprreciated speech" does not mean we don't like him.  If Ortiz wants to give it to the sox once in a while, then he and you should learn to take it.

[/QUOTE]

Huh?  I have no problem with Ortiz and have been doing my best to dismiss this hullabaloo over his comments all day.  I am bored with his No Respect annual declaration but I love the guy. 

If i missed the mark about Ted Williams, it is because I wasn't making the analogy to contract rancor per se.  But rather, Ted was a bit surly with the Boston media.  If today's amplified media platforms were around then, all of these people who are all lit up by the slightest media provocation would be up in arms about what a malcontent Williams was.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We all know you do not like Ortiz.  You made that perfectly clear with your threads during spring training last year. Don't be a pink hat and pretend you all of a sudden like him. I've listened to you for many years announce your distain for Ortiz.

Come on silly...we've been down this road before. Tongue Out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

I find it hilarious that nobody even disputes his selfish outbursts...most are seemingly ok with it.

Jock sniffing, ball washing, star worshipping clowns. I'm surrounded by them.

It's not only about what you do, it's how you conduct yourself as well. 

I guess I'm alone in that, as another poster already said his wish list has Ryan Braun at the top...if ever there was proof that only results matter, there it is. Ryan Braun is a cheating, selfish, arrogant a s s hole. He's proven that all by his big boy self.

[/QUOTE]

I think when we see how the world is deteriorating around us, we can not be so analretentive and let some chit slide man.  This isn't the ARod dillema, Aaron Hernandez serial killing, Alfonso Dennard violating probation from punching a cop, Otis Nixon arrested for crack, Lawrence Taylor the same.  This isn't Roger Clemens, Dennis Rodman, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Braun, Chad Ochocinco, Floyd Mayweather, Jr..  It is just nothing to get worked up over man.  There are bigger things to worry about and people doing much more offensive things IMO.

If this were during the season, I would not take so kindly to it as I thought was unprofessional in the past.  The fact that Lester and Papi are talking contracts in the last year of their deal says that they value security over the most money possible and I don't mind that one bit.   We have paid Papi well over his career, but not to the levels that he could have been paid on the open market.  The dude is a beast and is one of the best Red Sox hitters of all time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

My rule of thumb is if you are the MVP, hit .688 with 1.948 OPS in a WS and you can jolly well ask about a new contract. 

If you didn't shut-up.

Sections
Shortcuts