How much will the Red Sox offer Lester in free agency?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How much will the Red Sox offer Lester in free agency?

This is the next question.  Will they make a serious offer to him?  Or will they make an offer that they know will not be enough?  Will they offer him, say, 5 years for 120 million, knowing that will be about 30 million short, just so they can tell the fans they made a legitimate effort, and that Jon wasn't actually offering a hometown discount? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: How much will the Red Sox offer Lester in free agency?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the next question.  Will they make a serious offer to him?  Or will they make an offer that they know will not be enough?  Will they offer him, say, 5 years for 120 million, knowing that will be about 30 million short, just so they can tell the fans they made a legitimate effort, and that Jon wasn't actually offering a hometown discount? 

[/QUOTE]

I'll be amazed if they even get a chance to offer something.

Depending on who his new team is and what they have to give up, they may sign him to an extension before he gets to FA.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That reminds me of the offer made to Victor Martinez....we don't want you Victor, so here is exactly how much we are willing to offer you to stay....ugh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Serious" offer might be serious to the FO but not to Lester." Not enough" is a judgement call by Lester. If they offer 5-120, when they know that it isn't enough, if so then why bother? "Legitimate" offer is another value judgement. Everyone has a different opinion on what legitimate offer is. We went through that with Ellsbury. The FO, Lester, and fans all have varying opinions on what "legitimate" is.

[/QUOTE]

The main thing I'm getting at is, will they make an offer strictly for PR purposes?  They made no attempt to do so with Ellsbury.  But the backlash they're getting on Lester is a whole different thing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

5/120 is more than fair for an up and down pitcher like Lester. More than that would be obscene. If Lester turns it down than good-bye Jon. Don't let the door hit your wallet on the way out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

They will definitely make a PR offer.  or if Lester is traded and signed to extension they will claim they made an offer.  remember it was "leaked" that we offered Ells $100MM?  but that wasnt good enough for him. 

other names i have posted under:  none

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

I strongly think that Boston did have ups their offer from 70 something millions to something higher during sometime in the last four weeks to eight weeks, and Lester/his agent may have rejected the offers for the second time which result on forcing Red Sox to trade him.  Maybe they are seeing the same pattern as Ellsbury did it to Boston.   We all know that it is Lester fault for saying "i am willing to take a discount contract".  Now Lester is confusing everyone after this talk!!  I strongly think that his agent may have play the role of the contract situation and telling him to take the best offer he can find during the off season like Ellsbury and Cano both did it.

So for now I think he is looking for the highest free agent of 2015 contract of all like Cano did it last year!!

Once he get traded, then we will all hear the news on what is the real reason why he is being traded.  For now, I do not know what is the whole story on Lester!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

I would offer 5 for 105 and have a renewable 20 million per year based on innings pitched of at least 200 to trigger the option.  That is a decent trade off between years and dollars per year and gives Lester the chance to retire a Sox and gives management some assurance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

first they have to learn what other teams offer, and then go 15to 20% less, and then hope he doesn't take it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

4yrs/70.5 million

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to spewey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4yrs/70.5 million

[/QUOTE]

lol

other names i have posted under:  none

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to spewey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4yrs/70.5 million

[/QUOTE]

And the Cynics Award goes to this post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Depends on what he does the rest of this year. End of discussion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the sox have no intention of paying Lester the market rate so why would they pull off this ugly scab once it starts to heal in the offseason? he's gone folks....accept it

As always - 100% correct!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would offer 5 for 105 and have a renewable 20 million per year based on innings pitched of at least 200 to trigger the option.  That is a decent trade off between years and dollars per year and gives Lester the chance to retire a Sox and gives management some assurance.

[/QUOTE]

he's not signing for less than 135m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think for Jon to stay in Boston and Boston to re-sign him it would take a 5 year 22/23mil per, plus incentives type package.  That is if Jon really would take a hometown discount because there will be better offers.  Jon has a lot of ties here and knows the Sox have taken care of him through his cancer days and fans absolutely want him back so hopefully there is a mutual respect that keeps him from being a Jacoby.  Jon should also realize if he is looking for more years the Sox will want him to earn it like Papi, that's just how our FO operates.