How soon we forget;a tribute to Manny Ramirez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

How soon we forget;a tribute to Manny Ramirez

No this discussion isn't about his personality: pushing the traveling secretary/quitting on the team/immature behavior. I'm only talking about the great hitter. I see a thread saying that  they haven't seen a sweeter swing(referring to Gonzalez) since Ted Williams.
    Let me say at the beginning that I also agree that bringing Gonzalez to Boston was a great move and he will have a stellar career with the Sox.
    But to pass over Manny is having a selective memory. Manny had a sweet swing also. For example remember the championship season in 2004: Ramirez led the AL in home runs (43), slugging percentage (.613) and OPS (1.009); third in RBIs (130), fourth in doubles (44) and total bases (348), sixth in on base percentage (.397), eighth in walks (82), tenth in runs (108), and posted a .308 batting average. And his season was capped off by being named the MVP of the WS.
    In addition, in the 2007 post-season, Ramirez batted .348 with 4 home runs and 16 RBIs helping the Sox win the WS.
    Manny should not be forgotten.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: How soon we forget;a tribute to Manny Ramirez

Firball,

We don't forget what Manny did at the plate.  I know I'll never forget his playing for us.  I was like several that stood up for the Man-child until the last straw(s).  But we'll never forget ...

My many posts on his behalf we lengthy and filled with fervor.  I won't go into repeating them here and now.

But to say we'll forget, or have forgotten already, is not a fair comment.  We cannot separate his final behavior.  That was his doing.  I stood with him until then and appreciate what he did until then.

The last thing I'll say is, with all those amazing stats, IMAGINE IF HE HAD DECIDED TO PLAY FULL OUT ALL THE TIME .....(his antics in LA finally convinced me he was only playing with a small portion of his skill.)

Thank you , Manny.  I'll never forget you.  But I'll never stop wondering just how marvelous you could of been if the Man-child had grown up and played with the intensity of a Pedroia.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As a hitter, Gonzo may be a lot like a left-handed Manny.

I don't forget Manny.  Most of the time he was a fun player to watch and he was a big part of two championships. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Manny's leaving is like any divorce.  There were some good times when things were good but the lasting impression is the bitter taste left in the mouth at the end.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He betrayed the Sox in 2008.  That I don't forgive or forget.  Before that season, I was definitely on the Manny bandwagon.  Because he got nailed at least twice for using PEDs, I hope he doesn't get into the HOF. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If anything, Watching gonzo is bringing the glory days of manny's prime back to the fore front of my consciousness.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

In about 6 years hopefully Agone will join ManRam in the "greatest Sox hitter (not named Ted)" discussion.  Adrian only needs about 7 more monster campaigns and a couple world championships...... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Not soon enough, apparently...

Sections
Shortcuts