How "THE DEAL" happened

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

How "THE DEAL" happened

The whole story according to Gordon Edes from ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8323305/boston-red-sox-los-angeles-dodgers-blockbuster-trade-anatomy 

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- It may have been one of the most significant dinner-table conversations in Red Sox history, one already given a name by Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino: "The Denver Resurrection."

This was Aug. 14 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Denver, where major league baseball's owners had assembled for their quarterly meeting. John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino were all there representing the Red Sox. The biggest item on the agenda was approving the sale of the San Diego Padres. But while they were breaking bread that night, Henry struck up a dialogue with Mark Walter, who only months earlier had bought the Los Angeles Dodgers for a record $2 billion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: How

"WOW",    A great move that will go down in RED SOX history as the deal that saved the franchise !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It ain't the deal the saved the franchise until subsequent deals are made. 

So far the Dodgers look like the smart ones with both AGon and Beckett producing well. 

Meanwhile, the Sox rotation continues to be a disaster and the lineup a semi-disaster without AGon, Ortiz, or Middlebrooks. 

Ellsbury, who could pick up some of the slack, looks like a slacker with an OPS under .700.  Lavarnway is playing every day, but is hitting below the Mendoza Line.  Ciriaco, the high flyer, is crashing and burning.  Iglesias, now getting lots of playing time, has already given up an unearned run and finally got his first hit, a seeing eye double last night that I believe bounced over the Mariners thirdbaseman. 

Last night's win to break the losing streak took several minor miracles--a bodacious 3 run dinger by Ross, followed by a solo by Lavarnway, 6 decent but not dominant innings from Lester, and three solid innings by the bullpen even though Breslow was not effective and Bailey gave up a triple in the 9th before getting the save. 

If the Sox win last night had preserved a 7 or 8 game winning streak, we would all be saying the Sox just know how to win.  But right now what they know best is how to lose because it's such a simple formulate:  sorry starting pitching and weak hitting. 

Long term there is still a lot of work to be done to get back to competitiveness. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll be more specific. It ain't the deal that saved the fanchise until the Sox replace A-Gon's bat in the middle of the lineup w/o losing other middle-of-the-order bats and that won't be easy to do.

I'd bet money that next year, A-Gon and Crawford (maybe Beckett) will have All-Star seasons while the Sox replacements at those positions won't be close in terms of production. And while the Sox pitching will be better (easy prediction considering it can't really be worse), I will bet the offense will be like many of those 1990 offense were -- a couple of big hitters with a bunch of holes -- and the impoved pitching won't be enough offset the weakness on offense.

I hope I'm mistaken. We'll see what happens in the offseason. Personally, if guys like Bogarts and Bentz are close, I'd consider bringing them up next year -- especialy Bentz who'll be 24. I'm typically not in favor of rushing players, although I think the Sox at times are too cautious. But I think both might be close enough to take a chance, especially Bentz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Sorry that you can not $ee the value of moving those contract$ $$$$$$.....  The rest will take care of itself !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806 comment:

Sorry that you can not $ee the value of moving those contract$ $$$$$$.....  The rest will take care of itself !!!

Contracts don't play ballgames, players do. Moving those players mean nothing if you can't find good players to replace them. Sorry if you can't see the value of having quality players.

And the rest "doesn't take care of itself." That's the problem you've been to blind to see. Cherington can't exactly go to "Players 'R' Us" and pull a decent LF and a power-hitting 1B off the shelf to fill those holes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

In response to Bill-806 comment:

"WOW",    A great move that will go down in RED SOX history as the deal that saved the franchise !!!!

Saved the franchise - very funny.  I think it will have just the opposite effect for many years.  What top notch free agent will take a competitive bid to come an play in this zoo?  After seeing the treatment CC and AGon received, the Sox will have to significantly overpay for anybody they need.  And who in their right mind would wave a no trade clause to come into the mess that has been created.  Only hope is the minor leaguers develop and the team is able to compete in a few years.  Meanwhile, I wonder if all those saved millions will translate into more affordable ticket options.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I look at the deal as giving the Sox a chance to start over with a fresh slate.It gives room to make moves with a lot of financial backing now.They just have to spend the money wisely instead of putting themselves in a corner with bloated contracts that are too long.
      Hopefully,1 or 2 of the players they received back will have a positive impact for the Sox in the next year or two,or they can be used as trade bait as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I have to admit, I am liking this deal more with every passing day.  By getting rid of Crawford and Beckett, the Sox not only removed some questionable and costly talent going forward, and acquired some key pieces for the future, but also - and this is most important - they got rid of the two main reasons andrewmitch comes to this board to post.

I know sooner or later his keen brain cell will find another target, but in the meantime I can enjoy the absence of the Insecure One who condescends to all, and yet places you on ignore if you treat him with anything less than abject praise...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Great move to get rid of the big contracts - but will reserve my elation until I see the winter action, spring training and next year.  The Sox will probably not approach the luxury tax level which is fine as long as they acquire enough talent to move the team forward...another year like this one is just unacceptable!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So far the Dodgers look like the smart ones with both AGon and Beckett producing well. 

Meanwhile, the Sox rotation continues to be a disaster and the lineup a semi-disaster without AGon, Ortiz, or Middlebrooks. 

Ellsbury, who could pick up some of the slack, looks like a slacker with an OPS under .700.  Lavarnway is playing every day, but is hitting below the Mendoza Line.  Ciriaco, the high flyer, is crashing and burning.  Iglesias, now getting lots of playing time, has already given up an unearned run and finally got his first hit, a seeing eye double last night that I believe bounced over the Mariners thirdbaseman. 

Last night's win to break the losing streak took several minor miracles--a bodacious 3 run dinger by Ross, followed by a solo by Lavarnway, 6 decent but not dominant innings from Lester, and three solid innings by the bullpen even though Breslow was not effective and Bailey gave up a triple in the 9th before getting the save. 

If the Sox win last night had preserved a 7 or 8 game winning streak, we would all be saying the Sox just know how to win.  But right now what they know best is how to lose because it's such a simple formulate:  sorry starting pitching and weak hitting. 

Long term there is still a lot of work to be done to get back to competitiveness. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, this deal will be judged by what we end up doing with the "money saved", but nobody expected instant results, so I don't get the railing about our current players part of your post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Contracts don't play ballgames, players do. Moving those players mean nothing if you can't find good players to replace them. Sorry if you can't see the value of having quality players. 

And the rest "doesn't take care of itself." That's the problem you've been to blind to see. Cherington can't exactly go to "Players 'R' Us" and pull a decent LF and a power-hitting 1B off the shelf to fill those holes.

I dare say, it would be almost impossible to do worse than what we gave up for the same money.

Even if we went and made the same mistakes this winter, we'll be better off. For arguments sake, lets say we sign Hamilton for $25M x5, Greinke for $20M x5, Napoli for $15M x 3 to equal the salary we lost. Is there really anyone here that would rather have AGon, CC and Beckett than these 3?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Saved the franchise - very funny.  I think it will have just the opposite effect for many years.  What top notch free agent will take a competitive bid to come an play in this zoo?  After seeing the treatment CC and AGon received, the Sox will have to significantly overpay for anybody they need. 

The actrual trade had nothing to do with this, in fact, the trade was helpful to these players in many ways. The core issue is with the Boston media, fans, and the perceptions resulting from hypercriticism.

And who in their right mind would wave a no trade clause to come into the mess that has been created.  

Once we make a few moves and appear to be competitive, they will want to play here. Can I ask you this, why did Manny sign here? It was a worse zoo then.