How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree?

by Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe:

1. Philadelphia. This one’s easy. The Phillies are the clear favorites because of their Fearsome Foursome rotation. And if Vance Worley (11-1, 2.85) is your fifth guy, what a bonus. It’s the reason they’ve won more games than any other team, and will be the reason they win another World Series. The Phillies know better than anyone that their rotation will get them where they want to go, but they also know their weaknesses. They don’t have the bullpen they’d like (but other than Atlanta, who does?) and they know their lineup is vulnerable against lefthanded pitchers (.245, .707 OPS). “I just don’t see any of the National League playoff teams being able to compete with them,’’ said an NL general manager. “Their toughest competition will be whichever American League team emerges as their World Series opponent.’’

2. Detroit - The Tigers’ appeal is growing, for a few reasons. First, they have the best pitcher in baseball, Justin Verlander, who can pitch twice in a five-game series and three times in a seven-game series. “That’s going to be hard to beat,’’ said an NL scout. “I think that team, I don’t know, they’ve got something going on over there this year. They have the best pitcher, the best closer [Jose Valverde, 42 for 42 in saves], they have a manager [Jim Leyland] who can tune it up when it counts most. They also have a good pitcher in Doug Fister. Some of those guys who are 6-7 or better have a tough time with their angle, but he’s figured it out and he’s got good deception. He’s the one guy out there you can say that over the last four or five years has improved every single year.’’ The Tigers are far enough ahead in the division that they’ll be able to set up their rotation the way they want.

3. Boston - Another National League evaluator said this: “They should be the team that makes it to the World Series, but it all depends on [Josh] Beckett’s health and what that bullpen is going to do leading up to [Daniel] Bard and [Jonathan] Papelbon. We’ve seen that bullpen really pitch well. Alfredo Aceves is a life-saver for them. But if you have to depend on guys like Matt Albers and Dan Wheeler and Franklin Morales, then it gets a little dicey for them. Not having a really good lefty hurts them. They’re also a little bit vulnerable against tough lefthanded pitching.’’

4. New York - Potentially the most explosive lineup. The Yankees hit home runs and score runs in bunches. Home field is very important to them, to take advantage of their lefthanded power. The rotation is where the landmines are. They need CC Sabathia to be the horse he was in 2009. They need A.J. Burnett to be effective and hope that rookie Ivan Nova doesn’t melt in the spotlight. Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, and Phil Hughes are also in the mix, but who goes fourth remains to be seen.

5. Texas - One American League evaluator said, “I still don’t like their starting pitching overall, but if they face a team that can be vulnerable against lefthanded pitching like Boston, or if they made it to the World Series against Philadelphia, I think they could match up real well. Deadly lineup. You can’t make many mistakes against those hitters or they’ll make you pay. I think they could assault some of those National League pitching staffs if they got that far.’’

6. Milwaukee - The Brewers are considered one of the better all-around teams, but are they vulnerable in certain areas? Of course. “They have some good starting pitching,’’ said the NL evaluator who was quoted on the Tigers, “but I’m curious to see how guys like Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum react in that playoff situation, because they’ve never been there. Their bullpen could also sink them. K-Rod is K-Rod, you take the good with the bad. No lefty in the bullpen could come back to haunt them.’’

7. Arizona - How is this team doing it? “They have a manager [Kirk Gibson] who gets every drop of blood out of them,’’ said the American League evaluator. “They have two excellent starters [Daniel Hudson and Ian Kennedy] and a decent bullpen. The right fielder [Justin Upton] is a bear, and the catcher [Miguel Montero] is an animal.’’ GM Kevin Towers made an outstanding deal for second baseman Aaron Hill (with John McDonald as a backup), who needed a change of scenery and has been re-energized in a pennant race.

8. Atlanta - An NL scout said, “This is the team I wouldn’t want to face because if they can keep it close and you get into that bullpen, then forget it. That’s one of the best bullpens I’ve seen in years and that means something in the postseason.’’ The trouble is leading up to it. Jair Jurrjens (knee) and Tommy Hanson (shoulder) are injured, so there’s a lot of pressure on Tim Hudson, Derek Lowe, etc. The lineup doesn’t always click.

9. Los Angeles - The Angels are on the outside at the moment but are still in contention. They were once left for dead, but most Mike Scioscia teams tend to get the memo sooner or later. The Angels were able to introduce three outstanding young players to the majors this season in center fielder Mike Trout (the Minor League Player of the Year), first baseman Mark Trumbo (26 homers, 80 RBIs), and catcher Hank Conger. Jerome Williams has become a solid fourth starter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree?

I prefer that Boston plays Detroit in the first round instead of Texas. 

But if the Angels win the AL West, then I prefer that Boston face the Angels and not Detroit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Kind of interesting that all the "Positive Pollyanna" Red Sox fans are refusing to see that this team is in huge trouble and very likely will not even make the playoffs. Don't give me all that "you aren't being positive" bunk, we are a team of walking wounded with absolutely no starting pitching past Lester. Even if we do make the playoffs, it will be one and done. A year with such potential swirling around at the bottom of the commode, ready to go down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"You may triumph in the field of battle for a day, but against the power that has risen in the eastthere is no victory." Denethor

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

In Response to Re: How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]Kind of interesting that all the "Positive Pollyanna" Red Sox fans are refusing to see that this team is in huge trouble and very likely will not even make the playoffs. Don't give me all that "you aren't being positive" bunk, we are a team of walking wounded with absolutely no starting pitching past Lester. Even if we do make the playoffs, it will be one and done. A year with such potential swirling around at the bottom of the commode, ready to go down.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

You could take the middle ground but you chose to be
    the opposite of PollyAnna

You are:

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sox need a healthy Youkilis and a healthy Bucholtz otherwise there is no point.

May as well start looking to next year starting with what the heck are we going to do w Crawford and how the heck are we going to prevent Theo from making more season ending mistakes........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

In Response to Re: How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]Sox need a healthy Youkilis and a healthy Bucholtz otherwise there is no point. May as well start looking to next year starting with what the heck are we going to do w Crawford and how the heck are we going to prevent Theo from making more season ending mistakes........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Crawford will take care of himself next year and have a good year. That will also remove that "mistake" from Theo in the mind of Andrewmitch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Kind of interesting that all the "Positive Pollyanna" Red Sox fans are refusing to see that this team is in huge trouble and very likely will not even make the playoffs. Don't give me all that "you aren't being positive" bunk, we are a team of walking wounded with absolutely no starting pitching past Lester. Even if we do make the playoffs, it will be one and done. A year with such potential swirling around at the bottom of the commode, ready to go down.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

I think you're over-stating the injuries.  There's no reason to believe Beckett and Bedard won't be ready for the post-season, and with this offense, that's plenty enough to get past the first two rounds.  With a little luck, Buchholz will be ready for a start by the WS.  With a sports hernia requiring surgery, it's hard to believe Youk will be anything close to 100% the rest of the way.  That's a big blow, but even without Youk, how many offenses are better than ours?  Maybe the Yankees, but they have been playing as poorly as we have, and they are at full strength.

Also, regarding the Yankees, don't forget that nearly half the games left on the schedule are with the Rays.  So if the Rays continue to make a run to push for the post-season, it's going to have to come at the expense of the Yankees as well, while the Sox play one of the worst teams in baseball.  Even with no help from players returning from injuries, we should be able to handle the Orioles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree? : Crawford will take care of himself next year and have a good year. That will also remove that "mistake" from Theo in the mind of Andrewmitch.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

So you don't think that signing Crawford was a big mistake?  Even if he comes back the next 6 years and hits .275/.333 w/ 30 SB's for 6 straight seasons he will still be a big mistake and he still will absolutely refuse to hit the cut off man. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Kind of interesting that all the "Positive Pollyanna" Red Sox fans are refusing to see that this team is in huge trouble and very likely will not even make the playoffs.

Very interesting that you think we're a big underdog, and most people think we're a huge favorite.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

On-topic, I think the writer ranks Detroit too high.  He's great, but Detroit needs to get by the ALDS without using him twice, or else that diminishes his contribution in latter rounds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]by Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe: 1. Philadelphia. This one’s easy. The Phillies are the clear favorites because of their Fearsome Foursome rotation. And if Vance Worley (11-1, 2.85) is your fifth guy, what a bonus. It’s the reason they’ve won more games than any other team, and will be the reason they win another World Series. The Phillies know better than anyone that their rotation will get them where they want to go, but they also know their weaknesses. They don’t have the bullpen they’d like (but other than Atlanta, who does?) and they know their lineup is vulnerable against lefthanded pitchers (.245, .707 OPS). “I just don’t see any of the National League playoff teams being able to compete with them,’’ said an NL general manager. “Their toughest competition will be whichever American League team emerges as their World Series opponent.’’ 2. Detroit - The Tigers’ appeal is growing, for a few reasons. First, they have the best pitcher in baseball, Justin Verlander , who can pitch twice in a five-game series and three times in a seven-game series. “That’s going to be hard to beat,’’ said an NL scout. “I think that team, I don’t know, they’ve got something going on over there this year. They have the best pitcher, the best closer [ Jose Valverde , 42 for 42 in saves], they have a manager [ Jim Leyland ] who can tune it up when it counts most. They also have a good pitcher in Doug Fister. Some of those guys who are 6-7 or better have a tough time with their angle, but he’s figured it out and he’s got good deception. He’s the one guy out there you can say that over the last four or five years has improved every single year.’’ The Tigers are far enough ahead in the division that they’ll be able to set up their rotation the way they want. 3. Boston - Another National League evaluator said this: “They should be the team that makes it to the World Series, but it all depends on [ Josh ] Beckett’s health and what that bullpen is going to do leading up to [ Daniel ] Bard and [ Jonathan ] Papelbon . We’ve seen that bullpen really pitch well. Alfredo Aceves is a life-saver for them. But if you have to depend on guys like Matt Albers and Dan Wheeler and Franklin Morales , then it gets a little dicey for them. Not having a really good lefty hurts them. They’re also a little bit vulnerable against tough lefthanded pitching.’’ 4. New York - Potentially the most explosive lineup. The Yankees hit home runs and score runs in bunches. Home field is very important to them, to take advantage of their lefthanded power. The rotation is where the landmines are. They need CC Sabathia to be the horse he was in 2009. They need A.J. Burnett to be effective and hope that rookie Ivan Nova doesn’t melt in the spotlight. Freddy Garcia , Bartolo Colon , and Phil Hughes are also in the mix, but who goes fourth remains to be seen. 5. Texas - One American League evaluator said, “I still don’t like their starting pitching overall, but if they face a team that can be vulnerable against lefthanded pitching like Boston, or if they made it to the World Series against Philadelphia, I think they could match up real well. Deadly lineup. You can’t make many mistakes against those hitters or they’ll make you pay. I think they could assault some of those National League pitching staffs if they got that far.’’ 6. Milwaukee - The Brewers are considered one of the better all-around teams, but are they vulnerable in certain areas? Of course. “They have some good starting pitching,’’ said the NL evaluator who was quoted on the Tigers, “but I’m curious to see how guys like Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum react in that playoff situation, because they’ve never been there. Their bullpen could also sink them. K-Rod is K-Rod, you take the good with the bad. No lefty in the bullpen could come back to haunt them.’’ 7. Arizona - How is this team doing it? “They have a manager [ Kirk Gibson ] who gets every drop of blood out of them,’’ said the American League evaluator. “They have two excellent starters [ Daniel Hudson and Ian Kennedy ] and a decent bullpen. The right fielder [ Justin Upton ] is a bear, and the catcher [ Miguel Montero ] is an animal.’’ GM Kevin Towers made an outstanding deal for second baseman Aaron Hill (with John McDonald as a backup), who needed a change of scenery and has been re-energized in a pennant race. 8. Atlanta - An NL scout said, “This is the team I wouldn’t want to face because if they can keep it close and you get into that bullpen, then forget it. That’s one of the best bullpens I’ve seen in years and that means something in the postseason.’’ The trouble is leading up to it. Jair Jurrjens (knee) and Tommy Hanson (shoulder) are injured, so there’s a lot of pressure on Tim Hudson , Derek Lowe , etc. The lineup doesn’t always click. 9. Los Angeles - The Angels are on the outside at the moment but are still in contention. They were once left for dead, but most Mike Scioscia teams tend to get the memo sooner or later. The Angels were able to introduce three outstanding young players to the majors this season in center fielder Mike Trout (the Minor League Player of the Year), first baseman Mark Trumbo (26 homers, 80 RBIs), and catcher Hank Conger . Jerome Williams has become a solid fourth starter.
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

Having a third place team as the #3 team favorite is ludicrous and totally destroys any credibility that this dunce ever had.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree? : Having a third place team as the #3 team favorite is ludicrous and totally destroys any credibility that this dunce ever had.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Are you a Red Sox fan?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Are you a Red Sox fan?                                  

Yup; since the mid 50s. And I can tell that this is not a winning team. I have seen plenty of this kind of Sox team in the past.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

[QUOTE]Kind of interesting that all the "Positive Pollyanna" Red Sox fans are refusing to see that this team is in huge trouble and very likely will not even make the playoffs . Very interesting that you think we're a big underdog, and most people think we're a huge favorite.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That was in March. Is there a single smart baseball person that thinks the Sox are huge favorites now?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

This thread got "bumped up" by someone who was previously banned. Were you banned before Pumpsie under another moniker?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How the experts view the potential playoff teams-Do you agree? : Are you a Red Sox fan?
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

Sure, he's one of the ones that called the 2007 Red Sox the Greatest Chokers in History.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sure, he's one of the ones that called the 2007 Red Sox the Greatest Chokers in History.

And you're the one who posted that the Red Sox are the favorites to win the ALC just a few short weeks ago. Don't we have a losing record in our last 40 or 50 games? LOL.
    THINK before you write Joe.

Sections
Shortcuts