How to fix the Sox (realistic?)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3994021. Show user_3994021's posts

How to fix the Sox (realistic?)

Here is my attempt to be an armchair GM, and fix the mess that has become the Red Sox. I am trying to think realistic with trades, knowing other teams don't just want garbage for their gems. Let me know what you think.

1. Iglesias, Lowrie, Dubront, (maybe one other) and Theo to the Cubs for Starlin Castro

Theo for Castro was unrealistic, but maybe the additional 3 could get Castro. Got to give a lot to get a lot, and even though he makes a lot of errors, Castro is young and could finally be a SS solution.

2. Youk, Lackey (Sox pay most of contract), and Ranaudo to Mets for David Wright.

We get a younger and great thirdbase replacement for the aging Youk, who could still be a good replacement for the Mets. They get Lackey without having to pay, hoping he does better in the NL, and it gets him the hell off the Sox, and Ranaudo as the promising prospect that you need to give up for someone like Wright. You take the gamble and hope Wright stays healthy.

3. Let Papi walk, sign Fielder to DH

Alright, hear me out. Papi had a great year, but we all know age will hit him hard. Fielder is young (but big... I know), and while it is a lot of money to put into a DH, he is a superstar and it would be the Owners showing they care about making the best team possible. They have showed they aren't afraid to spend, and they love TV ratings, and this would help. Think of the 1-2 punch of Adrian and him.

4. Sign Buehrle or Oswalt (if Phillies don't pick up option) to replace Lackey

Yes, either pitcher is old, but they couldn't be as bad as Lackey, and just a few year contract rather than a large one for someone like CJ Wilson. Can't complain about Buehrle or Oswalt as your #4 pitcher.

5. Grady Sizemore or Michael Cuddyer in Right.

Indians probably won't pick up Sizemores option, and either should be a good temporary solution for rightfield.

6. Aceves to rotation, Varitek replaced by Lavarnway, Wakefield compete in Spring Training for rotation backup plan, pick up Scutaro's option for backup.

All self explanatory.

7. Keep Bard in the bullpen, resign Papelbon, piece together the rest

Bard is meant for the bullpen, give him another year at it. Paps is pretty much a must resign at this point, and shouldn't be too expensive considering all the available closers in this years free agency.

2012 Red Sox Lineup

1. Ellsbury (CF)
    2. Pedroia (2B)
    3. Gonzalez (1B)
    4. Fielder (DH)
    5. Wright (3B)
    6. Crawford (LF)
    7. Castro (SS)
    8. Sizemore/Cuddyer (RF)
    9. Salty/Lavarnway (C)

Look at how crazy that lineup would be, and it gets a pretty good Lefty, Righty switch going on.

Rotation

1. Lester
    2. Beckett
    3. Buchholz
    4. Oswalt/Buehrle
    5. Aceves

Beckett is more valuable in the rotation then whatever you'd end up getting in a trade. Just have the new manager keep him in line. Looks like a pretty good rotation too, as long as everyone stays healthy (and thin...) and with Buccholz back.

Overall, yeah, you're spending more money, and taking a few risks. But thats what needs to be done at this point. What are your thoughts? Trades are unrealistic? Giving up too much, too little? Let me know your opinions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Re: How to fix the Sox (realistic?)

How will this work out financially?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In the words of the great visionary, Dan Quayle:

"The future will be better , tomorrow."

I offer no "fixes", I've been that route. Just these words to all who have followed the team through thick and thin. We survived 1978 and 1986. We agonized over 2003.

Good things come to those who wait. 2011 was not our time.

Keep the faith. It's really all we have. Tomorrow's triumphs will never erase the past , but it will ease our pain.

The Phoenix will rise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

Why dont people give up on the Starlin Castro idea.... Cubs need players to build around.. He is their guy. PLus why give 3 of our top prospects plus our washed up GM for him.... Could get a bridge player for much cheaper

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to How to fix the Sox (realistic?):
    [QUOTE]Here is my attempt to be an armchair GM, and fix the mess that has become the Red Sox. I am trying to think realistic with trades, knowing other teams don't just want garbage for their gems. Let me know what you think. 1. Iglesias, Lowrie, Dubront, (maybe one other) and Theo to the Cubs for Starlin Castro Theo for Castro was unrealistic, but maybe the additional 3 could get Castro. Got to give a lot to get a lot, and even though he makes a lot of errors, Castro is young and could finally be a SS solution. 2. Youk, Lackey (Sox pay most of contract), and Ranaudo to Mets for David Wright. We get a younger and great thirdbase replacement for the aging Youk, who could still be a good replacement for the Mets. They get Lackey without having to pay, hoping he does better in the NL, and it gets him the hell off the Sox, and Ranaudo as the promising prospect that you need to give up for someone like Wright. You take the gamble and hope Wright stays healthy. 3. Let Papi walk, sign Fielder to DH Alright, hear me out. Papi had a great year, but we all know age will hit him hard. Fielder is young (but big... I know), and while it is a lot of money to put into a DH, he is a superstar and it would be the Owners showing they care about making the best team possible. They have showed they aren't afraid to spend, and they love TV ratings, and this would help. Think of the 1-2 punch of Adrian and him. 4. Sign Buehrle or Oswalt (if Phillies don't pick up option) to replace Lackey Yes, either pitcher is old, but they couldn't be as bad as Lackey, and just a few year contract rather than a large one for someone like CJ Wilson. Can't complain about Buehrle or Oswalt as your #4 pitcher. 5. Grady Sizemore or Michael Cuddyer in Right. Indians probably won't pick up Sizemores option, and either should be a good temporary solution for rightfield. 6. Aceves to rotation, Varitek replaced by Lavarnway, Wakefield compete in Spring Training for rotation backup plan, pick up Scutaro's option for backup. All self explanatory. 7. Keep Bard in the bullpen, resign Papelbon, piece together the rest Bard is meant for the bullpen, give him another year at it. Paps is pretty much a must resign at this point, and shouldn't be too expensive considering all the available closers in this years free agency. 2012 Red Sox Lineup 1. Ellsbury (CF) 2. Pedroia (2B) 3. Gonzalez (1B) 4. Fielder (DH) 5. Wright (3B) 6. Crawford (LF) 7. Castro (SS) 8. Sizemore/Cuddyer (RF) 9. Salty/Lavarnway (C) Look at how crazy that lineup would be, and it gets a pretty good Lefty, Righty switch going on. Rotation 1. Lester 2. Beckett 3. Buchholz 4. Oswalt/Buehrle 5. Aceves Beckett is more valuable in the rotation then whatever you'd end up getting in a trade. Just have the new manager keep him in line. Looks like a pretty good rotation too, as long as everyone stays healthy (and thin...) and with Buccholz back. Overall, yeah, you're spending more money, and taking a few risks. But thats what needs to be done at this point. What are your thoughts? Trades are unrealistic? Giving up too much, too little? Let me know your opinions.
    Posted by 01efea8d292eaa7bd70749c3f524e4bb[/QUOTE]

Fielder?????? Thats funny..........20-25 MIL a year.... For a DH ????  That would really make his AZZ fater

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

The sox fan fixation about watching the payroll for the owners and avoiding the luxury tax has enabled this particular ownership to siphon off dollars for race cars and soccer players. Screw them.  Let them pay up.  They owe it to the fans.
    They had no problem investing heavily in Liverpool to turn them around.  Let them do it here.  If not sell out and go destroy the Dodgers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3994021. Show user_3994021's posts

But a bridge to what? Sox want to have the best team possible now, and Iglesias just isn't close at all to being offensively ready. What is the harm in trying to get Castro? The Cubs need to compensate for Theo, why not upgrade that compensation by giving them other pieces to build on, and solve the short stop problem for the Sox.

As for financially working out, the Sox save about $27 million with Cameron, Drew, Varitek, and Dan Wheeler on the way out. I figure that will probably get negated by salaries going up (especially Adrian and Crawford), extending Papelbon, and arbitration raises. Then Ortiz's $13 million would probably go to about $20 for Fielder, a $7 million raise to payroll. Wright's and Youk's salaries I think are pretty similar. So then whatever you have to pay for Buehrle/Oswalt and Sizemore/Cuddyer for the year. You are probably looking at an additional $30 million for the year, if you don't subtract what you pay Lackey for the Mets to take him. A lot, which I did say it would be, but you get rid of Lackey and look at the team it would make. Is an additional $30 million and the prospects worth it for that team, after the mess we are currently in? A younger, star filled, less John Lackey-like team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3994021. Show user_3994021's posts

And yes, yes, Fatty Fielder, I know. Put a weight clause in his contract. You can't argue with his results on the field thus far in his career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

I think the Red Sox should insist on Castro, if ony just for th eirony that finally Theo wil have gotten the Sox a real SS.....by leaving.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the Sox have to avoid the quick fix by trading away top prospects....so I would not move Ranaudo. i think Zilla has it right, becuase the team is not as bad off as it might seem right now, but I will offer fixes because it is fun to do so. This Sox team still has an All Star at 1st, 2nd, 3b(though i would move Youk, to DH), CF, and LF(he will never be worth 20MM, but the guy has skills, we didnt see last year), Setup guy, Closer(resign Pap) and at least 2 starters. I would be fine with Scutaro at SS again next year, I think Salty and lavarnway will be way better than the league average at catcher. So that leaves RF, DH, some starters and Bullpen help. If the Sox move Beckett, then I would go hard after CJ Wilson(probably Cost Neutral).....I like Aceves in the pen, so I would also think about Buerhle, since the sox would have money coming off the books in Drew and Ortiz. I use that money for Buerhle and a 2/3 year deal for Aramis Ramirez.  Trade Beckett in a deal for a RHH RF and bullpen help.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

A-gon abbsorbs all of the drew salary coming off the books as his pay goes from $6mil to $22 mil

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Ask for ML ready OF Jackson and almost ready SP from cubs for Theo.  Dump Tek, Papi, Lowrie, and McDonald for anything you can get(obviously not the FA's).
    Sign that Cuddyer or other RH OF.  Pick up Scutaro's option.  Let Wake try to make the BP, and sign a buerle type, and 2-3 reclaimation projects for AAA depth.

CF Jake
    2B Pedroia
    1B Adrian
    3B Youk
    LF Crawford
    RF Cuddyer/Jackson
    DH Jackson/Reddick/Kalish/Youk
    C  Salty/Lavarnway
    SS Scutaro

rotation
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buch
    Buerle
    Lackey

Pen
    New closer-paps or cheaper FA option
    Bard
    Aceves
    Wake
    Morales
    +1 (Albers etc)
    +1 (bowden etc)

Save money with Papi, Spend it on Closer, SP, and Small amount on Cuddyer.
    Have 2-3 reclaimation projects, Japanese tommy john guy(sorry forgot name), New guy from cubs, plus Wake and aceves as SP insurance.  The budget would go up, but not in huge way.  By picking up 2 ML ready or almost ML ready guys from cubs it adds depth without huge cost.  Possible additional trades: lackey, but likely too expensive in $ to trade, youk, but would need ML ready 3b in return, salty/lavarnway, but not getting home run in return.

Picking up Jackson and cuddyer would form a solid 4 players for OF, with the 4th guy also getting time at DH with youk, lavarnway, etc.  Greatly adds to on field flexibility, and should improve health and help cover problems when there are injuries.  papi made the lineup too inflexible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to How to fix the Sox (realistic?):

Posted by 01efea8d292eaa7bd70749c3f524e4bb[/QUOTE]

#1 We need a tough manager
    who isn't afraid to take risks, play some small ball and discipline guys. 

#2 Out with Tek, Drew and  Wake.  Reddick or Kalish along with guy like Cuddyer or Beltran is all we need.  No Sizemore, he's another LF Drew who has been done for years and can't hit or run well anymore.  Lavarnway and Salty should be given there chance at catcher. 

#3 Wake, after recent comments and the fact he can't even own up to his own struggles but wants to return is gone.
      Miller I would keep in the mix for now. 

#4 Lackey and prospect for Zambrano.  Theo needs to take his failure with him.  I would rather take a chance on Zambrano who is a better pitcher, or Santana

#5  The Yankees and about 10 other teams will be after CJ Wilson while Nolan Ryan tries to resign him but we should be in on it.

#6 Aceves, could easily start if needed.  I would try my very best to sign a middle reliever like "Ryan Madson" for insurance.  Weiland, was a good reliever in college and I feel he is best suited to join our pen for at least a shot.

#7 Pap, real tough decision because is Bard good enough, or could a guy like Heath Bell handle pressure in Boston?  I'm leaning towards keeping Pap, but again we need a top tier starting pitcher so it would be money towards this.

#8 Bring Scuter back along with Aviles and give Iglesias another year to mature.  Lowrie is expendable trade bait.

#9 Do not trade Jacoby, try and sign him or possibly package him for a player like Kemp or J. Upton, he has that kind of value.

#10 Our entire management staff needs to make sure every single player stays in top physical condition.  There will still be injuries but we won't look like a bunch of Fat Cats out there.

#11 We need to make Pede our captain.  He is a leader by example and will voice his opinion if things get out of hand.  We need a leader on this

#12 If Papi wants out let him, anyone not committed should leave.  Offer the Mets Middlebrooks, Lackey and a prospect for David Wright if we can't dump him on the Cubs, then move Youk to DH and Wright to 3B.  I seriously doubt we can afford what Fielder will make as a 1B elsewhere

Our lineup looks like this, but not necessarily in this BA order.

Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Youk DH or Papi
    Adrian 1B
    Cuddyer or Beltran RF
    Crawford LF
    Youk 3B or Wright
    Lavarnway/Salty C
    Scuter/Aviles SS

Starters:

Lester

Beckett, if he can't throw the ball without Tek trade him.  We need him  to do well with no distractions.
    Buchholz
    Zambrano for Lackey?
    CJ or Buehrle, Oswalt last choice?
    Wang,
    "like Aceves was, a low risk" after the injury and one bad year he looked pretty decent and is better than Wakefield.
    Aceves

Possible "fall back trade" for Beckett?

Marcum
    Lincecum
    Felix H.
    a stretch

Bullpen: Madson, Aceves, Weiland, Miller, Morales, Jenks, Pap, Bard?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zadmat. Show zadmat's posts

first of all we haven't started paying Adrian's salary yet. So before we start to think Papi and Drews salary are free money for other players we still need to think of Adrian.

I say hire a manager that has balls!  The upper management stays out of blue collar work!!  Unless we start playing ball on Henry's Yacht, he needs to stick to soccer, its not so compicated, kick the ball stupid!

Adrian needs to understand this isn't the NL and if he can't out run Papi maybe he needs to set some goals!  You are now making over $20 mill hire a trainer so you can attain a higher speed than a mild jog by my grandmother.

Next item, i don't feel sorry for guys getting paid millions to play a game they love, if you aren't on the field maybe you need to find another job.  After getting paid millions for a few years you should have saved enough to retire and live better than i do.

To the GM, first be able to deal with the obvious, Lugo never got paid more than $2.5 mil a year...no need to give him $9mil for 4 years, Drew opted out of an ridiculous contract where another team would not have entertained paying him $15 mil..........let him sweat and pay a lot less, Lackey never pitched in a division like the east and he had issues with his previous coach who wanted to take him out in a game........taking him out early was a great idea! and even earlier is even better!, A catcher has to field his position period and if he has to use a cut off to throw out a runner stealing second......probably not the guy, short stop had some that were fine....Alex Gonzalez........Orlando Cabrera......aint broke don't fix it,  Ellsbury probably the only buy who actually was hurt last year and shoud have rested............appologize to him and give him Henry's yacht....we need him as he actually plays like he cares,  if you are going to say you are building your team through the draft then stop trading your prospects away, finally man love is overrated and great stats two to three years ago are exactly that, two to three years ago. 

The other thing is the difference between the Yankees and Red sox payroll.......is the Rays payroll........enough said!  Over paying is overrated.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spartacus2011. Show Spartacus2011's posts

1. Big name MLB manager who takes NO crap from the FO. Jim Leyland at the top of the list, followed by Tony LaRussa and Joe Torre.

2. Buchholz, Wakefield, Varitek, Lackey, Crawford have to go. Crawford and one of our prospects could get us Prince Fielder as DH to replace David Ortiz.

3. Youk to Texas for one of their many young star players. Maybe a 3 team deal to get Brandon Inge to play 3B?

4. Find a way to get Cliff Lee or Doug Fister...maybe both...immediately.

5. Try to lure Dombrowski away from Detroit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Look at how crazy that lineup would be

Eerily similar to all the boastful comments about our lineup on this board in Feb and March.

I expect nothing from this team and will not predict anything positive going forward until they actually win with an ALE Title or deserved, (not backing in) Wild Card. Back to back 3rd place finishes.....do not equal unbridaled optimism.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmassaro. Show cmassaro's posts

In peasonally think the Soxs would do best if they trade becket away with youk, and Josh reddick for Matt kemp to play out field not only can he hit but he can field I also think they should consider getting rid of david Ortiz and get prince fielder as DH and they should look at CC

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In Response to Re: How to fix the Sox (realistic?):
    [QUOTE]Why dont people give up on the Starlin Castro idea.... Cubs need players to build around.. He is their guy. PLus why give 3 of our top prospects plus our washed up GM for him.... Could get a bridge player for much cheaper
    Posted by JDShorty[/QUOTE]
    Quite right...Castro to the Sox is a fantasy that isn't happening. Most likely, the Sox will take a chance with Scutaro and Lowrie at SS for another year (the good news is that when one gets hurt or slumps, the other one seems to get hot) while Iglesias benefits from more time at Triple-A...when he's ready, our long national shortstop nightmare will be over.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

Most of your list is a dream come true. A few issues; DH position, there is no need to let Papi go. He will be productive for two more years for much lower price than Fielder. I like the idea of getting rid of Yuk. Castro would be great, but I doubt if we can get him. I will make Lavarnway as a regular catcher and Salty to back him.

I like the rotation, so you have my approval :).

1. Ellsbury (CF)
    2. Pedroia (2B)
    3. Gonzalez (1B)
    4. Fielder (DH)
    5. Wright (3B)
    6. Crawford (LF)
    7. Castro (SS)
    8. Sizemore/Cuddyer (RF)
    9. Salty/Lavarnway (C)

Look at how crazy that lineup would be, and it gets a pretty good Lefty, Righty switch going on.

Rotation

1. Lester
    2. Beckett
    3. Buchholz
    4. Oswalt/Buehrle
    5. Aceves

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

2012 is going to require some patience from fans.    John Henry is not about to go on a spending spree like last year and sign free agents that can't do the team any good.       Ben Cherington will be told to hold the payroll in line and not exceed the luxury tax threshold and to be as creative as possible with player moves.  
    The money saved from Drew now goes on the new contract of Gonzalez and an increase in Crawford's contract plus other contracts due to escalate. 
    Ellsbury will make a bundle in arbitration for the year he had.    Aceves will get a nice raise in salary.     If Papelbon decides to stay instead of going to free agency, he won't come cheap.