How You Became A Sox Fan??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: How You Became A Sox Fan??

In Response to Re: How You Became A Sox Fan??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How You Became A Sox Fan?? : It sure was...right up until that last inning. Johnson should never have taken Willoughby out!
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Jim Burton .... ugh!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

My dad...Born to a Red Sox fan in central new jersey.

Ah the sins of our fathers  

But i started liking baseball (and hateing the yankees) in the subway worl series in 2000. Watching Clemens throw the bat at Piazza (my favorite player at the time) just pushed me more and more towards the red sox

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to How You Became A Sox Fan??:
    [QUOTE]  I became a Sox fan in 1967, no team in Colorado until 1993 so because I was a Celtics fan it seemed natural to root for the Sox during the Impossible Dream Season, I had my share of frustrations until 2004. Just wanting to hear some of your stories.
    Posted by Colosoxman[/QUOTE]

Stopped watching baseball completely after 1986 when in fact (forgive me) I was a Mets fan.  Lol.  Managing a nightclub made it nearly impossible to see any games.   Then in 2003 I began dating a cocktail waitress originally from Florida.  She got me into watching the Marlins beat the Yanks.  In 2004 I started following the Red Sox because I discovered the rivalry and believed in my heart they could beat NY.  I hit the jackpot, the ultimate defeat the Yankees could possibly ever suffer.  Sox fans had waited decades for that to happen.  I only had to wait one year!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from swhiting. Show swhiting's posts

!967, Ten years old, My Dad took me to the second game of the WS.  Lonborg 1 hitter, Yaz 2 homers. We sat out in the bleachers, saw batting practice and the interviews after the game. What A day.

Still have the program with me scoring and the album "The Impossable Dream"

Every RS win is a treat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

I was plopped down in front of our only (black and white) TV in the beginning of the summer by my older brother who was babysitting me.

He told me not to move from that chair until the game was over.

I have been in "that" chair and many others watching the sox since that day in 1958, and I really haven't moved since.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

from arizona, when I was little, Sat. afternoon was only televised game and Yankees on every week. I learned to hate that team and white sox were their toughest competition. Aparicio became my favorite player cause he gave the Yankees fits. I followed him from team to team and when he retired with the red sox, I stayed with them. So my hatred for Yankees kind of went full circle

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

Great stories everyone thanks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

I thought the simple answer for most of you was that you were dropped on your heads at birth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the simple answer for most of you was that you were dropped on your heads at birth.
    Posted by -The--Babe----------[/QUOTE]

No actually thats what causes Ienjoypostinginotherteamsforumns disease.....J/K Babe

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the simple answer for most of you was that you were dropped on your heads at birth.
    Posted by -The--Babe----------[/QUOTE]

What a jerk!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

I became one when I was born in Boston in 1950. Been through it all thru thick and thin, lean and mean.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I was a Blue Jays fan until 1992 (the year Toronto won its first ever World Series).  Roberto Alomar, David Cone, Joe Carter, John Olerud, Devon White, Dwuane Ward, Tom Hanke, etc.

Cito Gaston became the first Black manager to win a World Series (in 1992).   

My family and I moved to Cambridge, MA in 1993 and I was a Red Sox fan ever since. 

In 1997, my father took me to Fenway to see Roger Clemen's debut as a Blue Jays.  I remember that game like it was yesterday.  Clemens struck out 16 Red Sox batters and Toronto won 3-1. 

Fine memories.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]I became one when I was born in Boston in 1950. Been through it all thru thick and thin, lean and mean.
    Posted by PaulLaCourse[/QUOTE]

In 2004, I paid a scalper $300 to sit in the bleachers for game 7 of the ALCS.  

After Damon hit that grand slam, I yelled out, "YEAH BOY!!!!!!!!! LIFE IS GOOD!!!"

Some fan from behind pushed me to the floor and yelled, "F**K YOU MATSUI, BOSTON S*CKS!!!" (I'm Asian). 

I went to the game alone so after Boston clinched, I followed random Red Sox fans to the subway station.  LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Born in '87, became a dedicated fan thanks to Johnny Valentin and his crazy swing haha...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

62 years ago, when I was 8 yrs. old, My Dad , and an older cousin took me to my first major league game: Yankee Stadium:  Yankees vs. REdsox.  On the way in , my Dad bought me a Yankees cap (He and my cousin were die-hard Yankee fans!)  I saw Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio play in the same game, and I think the Yankee pitcher was Vic Raschi.  Don't remember who pitched for the Redsox.  Anyway, the Redsox won 4-3.

On the way out of the stadium, I handed the Yankees hat to a kid, and my Dad asked "Why did you do that?"  I replied: "Because I am a REDSOX FAN!"  Wow!, my Dad was mad as hell! 

I have suffered many years as a REDSOX fan, but have had much joy in recent years... and expect more!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brucek62. Show Brucek62's posts

I became Red Sox fan in 1978 because of Jim Rice, The AL MVP that year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I am from Pittsfield, and had no chance with the family I was part of.  Wouldn't have it any other way!  Born in 1973, fan since before then.

If there is a hint of Yankee like, my Papa would give a cold glare.  He was the kindest man on the planet, but not if you liked the Yanks!

My favorite memory is him calling Rich Gedman "Jerkowitz" whenever he would hit into a DP.  Good times.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

My dad was born and raised in Roxbury during the depression, being Irish he was poorer than dirt.

He and his friends would hang out at the base of the green monster to gather homers so they could use them when they played sand lot ball with broom handles. There was no net on the monster at the time

When his mother sent him to the store he would hide his glove under his jacket just in case he came across a pick-up game along the way.

He played ball in boot camp while waiting to be sent overseas during WWll.  He asked every day to be sent into battle but his commanding officer refused because he wanted dad on his team. Dad was a good ball player. One day there was a higher ranking officer present and he insisted dad be sent.

He started bringing me to games in the 60's, spent time at Fenway during the Impossible Dream year in 67.

He brought my sons, his grandsons, to the park when they were 7 and 3. It a very happy day for him. He died three years later and was burier on opening day at Fenway.

How could I not be a Sox fan?