Huge series starts tonight. Huge.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Huge series starts tonight. Huge.

Well, maybe not, but hopefully it will be fun to watch.  Sox now over .500 and want to stay there, but two of our three starters are  Doubront and Buchholz, two names that scare Sox fans if not opposing batters.  Plus the continuing saga of the youth movement--Bogey, JBJ, and MBR--to say nothing of the Sox struggles this year against righty starters with our heroes facing three straight righty starters in the Twin Cities. 

My predicted lineup for tonight is:  Pedroia, Victorino, Ortiz, Napoli, Sizemore, Pierzynski, Bogaerts, Bradley, and Middlebrooks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Huge series starts tonight. Huge.

2 out of 3.

let's do it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think we will learn a lot about this team in this series ... ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I think that the definition of any series with the Twins includes the phrase "barely relevant".

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that the definition of any series with the Twins includes the phrase "barely relevant".

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

So, is it ok if they get swept?  I mean its not relevant right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It is big

We take 2 of 3 and the yankees lose 3 of 4 to the Mets at home and we pass them in the standings just in time for Memorial Day Weekend.  that will have them signing Drew AND Morales.  You watch...........The Cashman sure is good at writing checks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

What I meant was its hard to get excited about a series with the Twins. All the games count equally, but somehow playing better competition is more invigorating. And you know perfectly well what I meant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

pumpsie,

The Twins are 1.5 games behind the Sox in the wild card standings.  That alone makes them relevant.  In fact, 10 of the 15 AL teams are very much in the wild card hunt--and 13 of 15 if you count the three division leaders, Baltimore, Detroit, and Oakland.

Who's irrelevant?  Houston.  And maybe, amazingly enough, Tampa. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

What I meant was its hard to get excited about a series with the Twins. All the games count equally, but somehow playing better competition is more invigorating. And you know perfectly well what I meant.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, Twins are hardly the Twinkies anymore.  And, even if they were bad, all the more reason that it is big:  the Sox are starting to play good ball, have just got over the .500 mark and have the opportunity to get in lock stop with the top teams.  Opportunity.  Put the early season clunkiness in the rearview. Get well above .500.  

Sure, I get it.  I loved beating the Rangers in a way that is different from beating the Twins.  In fact, I posted about what a statement it was, and, lo and behold, I got  lot of griping in response about how it was "just another series" and didn't say anything of value.  So, if I am to accept that it doesn't mean more to beat the top teams, then, it stands that I cannot accept that it means any less to beat lesser opponents (though, Twins by record, are hardly lesser this year)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, Twins are hardly the Twinkies anymore.  And, even if they were bad, all the more reason that it is big:  the Sox are starting to play good ball, have just got over the .500 mark and have the opportunity to get in lock stop with the top teams.  Opportunity.  Put the early season clunkiness in the rearview. Get well above .500.  

Sure, I get it.  I loved beating the Rangers in a way that is different from beating the Twins.  In fact, I posted about what a statement it was, and, lo and behold, I got  lot of griping in response about how it was "just another series" and didn't say anything of value.  So, if I am to accept that it doesn't mean more to beat the top teams, then, it stands that I cannot accept that it means any less to beat lesser opponents (though, Twins by record, are hardly lesser this year)

[/QUOTE]

Twins beat us something like 3 of 4 around this time (June?) last year in St Paul............

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Twins beat us something like 3 of 4 around this time (June?) last year in St Paul............

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Right.  If anything, this feels like one of those trap series.  Hope I am wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think we're going to be saying 'big series' a lot this year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

What I meant was its hard to get excited about a series with the Twins. All the games count equally, but somehow playing better competition is more invigorating.  

[/QUOTE]

Pumpsie, you can be so dour.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we're going to be saying 'big series' a lot this year. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Haha.  YYYup.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, maybe not, but hopefully it will be fun to watch.  Sox now over .500 and want to stay there, but two of our three starters are  Doubront and Buchholz, two names that scare Sox fans if not opposing batters.  Plus the continuing saga of the youth movement--Bogey, JBJ, and MBR--to say nothing of the Sox struggles this year against righty starters with our heroes facing three straight righty starters in the Twin Cities. 

My predicted lineup for tonight is:  Pedroia, Victorino, Ortiz, Napoli, Sizemore, Pierzynski, Bogaerts, Bradley, and Middlebrooks. 

[/QUOTE]

Is Middlebrooks back in the lineup?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A pretty exciting first game despite the finale.  I claim no great credit for coming very close on the lineup--I had the right nine, but had MBR 9th and Bradley 8th.  Sox lost because the pitching gave up 8 runs.  Still a terrific comeback.  Ortiz emerges as the alpha dog in the lineup and now leads the team in OPS, rbi's, total bases, and dingers.  With Doubront and Buchholz upcoming, the Sox hitters need to get some runs.  The Twins have the next to worst pitching in the AL, so there can be no excuses for not hitting them.  

Peavy tried to get by with just a fastball and cut fastball.  He now leads the team in giving up dingers and walks, the latter by a good margin.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]

A pretty exciting first game despite the finale.  I claim no great credit for coming very close on the lineup--I had the right nine, but had MBR 9th and Bradley 8th.  Sox lost because the pitching gave up 8 runs.  Still a terrific comeback.  Ortiz emerges as the alpha dog in the lineup and now leads the team in OPS, rbi's, total bases, and dingers.  With Doubront and Buchholz upcoming, the Sox hitters need to get some runs.  The Twins have the next to worst pitching in the AL, so there can be no excuses for not hitting them.  

Peavy tried to get by with just a fastball and cut fastball.  He now leads the team in giving up dingers and walks, the latter by a good margin.  

[/QUOTE]

I wonder how far ahead of time Peavy was told he was going to pitch.

I don't care about the dingers.  They happen against major league hitters.  Have to limit them to solo shots, though, and limit the damage.  Jim Palmer gave up a lot of homers in his career, but I once read that he never gave up a grand slam. 

Walks, on the other hand ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

No way to start !!!!  We are giving to many games away, a different way to lose every time !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Peavy is usually in the strike zone.  historically not a guy that walks alot of batters.  this year has been very different.  nibbling or ????

His past 4 seasons BB/9

2011: 1.9

2012 2.0

2013 2.2

2014 5.1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Peavy is usually in the strike zone.  historically not a guy that walks alot of batters.  this year has been very different.  nibbling or ????

His past 4 seasons BB/9

2011: 1.9

2012 2.0

2013 2.2

2014 5.1

[/QUOTE]

The Takeaway: Jake Peavy struggling with two-seam fastball

By Brian MacPherson

bmacpherson@providencejournal.com

MINNEAPOLIS — Jake Peavy has some work to do with his two-seam fastball, his sinker.

Let’s make it clear out front: Peavy throws a wicked two-seam fastball. He’s gotten plenty of outs in his career with his two-seam fastball.

“That’s always been his strength,” said Red Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves, who has worked with Peavy for years going back to their days together in Chicago. “That’s always been his mojo.”

Unlike a straight four-seam fastball, when a righthanded pitcher throws his two-seam fastball to a righty, it tends to tail back toward the hitter. If he’s throwing the fastball at the inside corner, he can throw it in the strike zone and watch it tail out of the zone down and away. If he throws it off the plate away, it can tail back and clip the outside corner.

But if he’s throwing it at the outside corner, trouble lurks. If he throws it at the outside corner and it tails back too far, sometimes it can end up down the middle of the plate.

If Peavy doesn’t stay on his pitches — “stay in the hallway longer,” as Nieves put it — all the way through the finish, he risks what should be a filthy tailing two-seamer winding up in a hitter’s wheelhouse.

“That’s his biggest challenge, Jake’s biggest challenge — not being able to keep the ball down and away because of his delivery,” Nieves said after Peavy gave up six runs in 4 1/3 innings to the Minnesota Twins. “He throws the ball down and away, but it always has a little leak-back. I was thinking, during the game, that they were almost looking for that. They’re not expanding away. They’re actually waiting for the ball to come back.”

the full read

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20140514-the-takeaway-jake-peavy-struggling-with-two-seam-fastball.ece

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

pinstripe, pretty good article.  Thanks.  Verily, it is written:  if you can't command your pitches, you're in trouble.  What regularly astounds me is how consistent Uehara is because he is fearless with that slow fast ball of 88-89 mph, which somehow seems to work because the batter is maybe looking for the splitter.   Plus Uehara is usually hitting the corners. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

pinstripe, pretty good article.  Thanks.  Verily, it is written:  if you can't command your pitches, you're in trouble.  What regularly astounds me is how consistent Uehara is because he is fearless with that slow fast ball of 88-89 mph, which somehow seems to work because the batter is maybe looking for the splitter.   Plus Uehara is usually hitting the corners. 

[/QUOTE]

Keith Foulke used to get away with an 89 MPH fastball too - because his location was so good and his changeup was so good, I think.