Hunter Pence the perfect RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Hunter Pence the perfect RF

Too bad we don't have a prayer in the world of prying Hunter away.  Hits R & LH pitching equally, only 28 years old and plays CF or RF. 

Salary $6,9mil Bats right, hits everyone

PHOENIX - AUGUST 30:  Hunter Pence #9 of the Houston Astros prepares to bat against the Arizona Diamondbacks during the major league baseball game at Chase Field on August 30, 2009 in Phoenix, Arizona. The Diamondbacks defeated the Astros 4-3.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF

I thought David Jonathan Drew was the perfect Right Fielder?  And according to the Boy Wonder, he's a bargain at only Seventy Million US Dollars..........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

We wish ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF:
    I thought David Jonathan Drew was the perfect Right Fielder?  And according to the Boy Wonder, he's a bargain at only Seventy Million US Dollars..........
    Posted by andrewmitch

andrewmitch, have faith this is a bridge season :)

Just kidding, it is odd we don't have a solid lefty but nice to see another potential starter help our cause.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why the giving up on Kalish and Reddick already? Must the grass always be greener on the other side because it involves spending $$$ ( $7 mil.)

How about getting Andrew Miller and he was basically free. Some positive thoughts periodically would be refreshing. Weren't the bench players great last year and why dismiss them as useless this year after such a small sample size.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

A tick above 14 million.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I do believe that I saw a post sometime back last winter where Andrewmitch implied that he is not a JD Drew fan, I may be mistaken but -----.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Why the giving up on Kalish and Reddick already? Must the grass always be greener on the other side because it involves spending $$$ ( $7 mil.) How about getting Andrew Miller and he was basically free. Some positive thoughts periodically would be refreshing. Weren't the bench players great last year and why dismiss them as useless this year after such a small sample size.
    Posted by Your-Echo

I was one of the first to congratulate Miller after his first outing and have always been a supporter of evaluating our "home grown" options first.  This thread suggests we place Reddick in RF when Carl returns so you are obviously not reading things through.

You took the "Hunter Pence" thread personally?  Prospects are to mentor and use in our lineup and rotation, or trade for a more viable option if there is one. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF :This thread suggests we place Reddick in RF when Carl returns so you are obviously not reading things through. 
    Posted by craze4sox

Where exactly in the "Hunter Pence the perfect RF" thread is the suggestion being made that we play Reddick in RF instead of Pence?  I know you've mentioned it elsewhere and I happen to agree with you on that, but I don't see it anywhere in this thread.

Also, Pence isn't going anywhere.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF : Where exactly in the "Hunter Pence the perfect RF" thread is the suggestion being made that we play Reddick in RF instead of Pence?  I know you've mentioned it elsewhere and I happen to agree with you on that, but I don't see it anywhere in this thread. Also, Pence isn't going anywhere.
    Posted by JB-3

I just through the Pence thing out because I feel he would be a great fit.  I know it could never happen.  All I really meant was, it would be nice to have a RF we don't need to platoon like we have Trot and Drew over the years. 

Reddick is that guy at the moment who is hitting all pitchers pretty well so he deserves to play RF when Carl returns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF : I just through the Pence thing out because I feel he would be a great fit.  I know it could never happen.  All I really meant was, it would be nice to have a RF we don't need to platoon like we have Trot and Drew over the years.  Reddick is that guy at the moment who is hitting all pitchers pretty well so he deserves to play RF when Carl returns.
    Posted by craze4sox

I'd even say he should be playing RF on a daily basis right now, considering Drew's injury.  Give the kid a chance to run with the RF job, DMac can play LF on a daily basis and maybe he'll even find his timing that he's been clearly struggling with.

Credit the Astros for having an extra year of control over Pence.  He'll miss FA by about 18 days after next season.  By the time he'll become a FA, Carlos Lee will be off their payroll.  They also have $10M coming off the books in the form of a $7M payment to the Phillies for Oswalt and $3M for Bill Hall.  That should cover the Pence and Bourne raises this year and then Bourne is a FA after 2012.

If they are looking to extend one of their 2 young OF's, I'd give the edge to Pence since Bourne's agent is Boras.  I'm sure they'll look into extending them prior to the end of 2012 as it would be terrible to lose both of them to FA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

If you think it is impossible to get him,and it probably is,why waste time talking about it?Mental masterbation?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Pence is not an option.

Finding all star caliber players who are not available and pipe-dreaming them here does not require any insight...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Pence is not an option. Finding all star caliber players who are not available and pipe-dreaming them here does not require any insight...
    Posted by notin

I remember my son showing me a lot of posts here that suggested Adrian was a pipe dream and look what happened.  Anything is possible depending on a teams need and financial situation. 

I guess those who believed Adrian was an option had more insight than others right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mechrisuk. Show mechrisuk's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF : I remember my son showing me a lot of posts here that suggested Adrian was a pipe dream and look what happened.  Anything is possible depending on a teams need and financial situation.  I guess those who believed Adrian was an option had more insight than others right?
    Posted by craze4sox

As a sustainable franchise with the aspirations we have then you simply can not unload the farm system for every good/superstar free agent to be.  We paid a price to get Gonzo, both financially and to our minor league system.  I, for one love having Pedey, Ellsbury, Youk, Paps, Lester, Bard and so on, well we wouldn't have these type of players if we traded every decent prospect we had. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

What is killing the Sox is not Drew it is Cameron. If you have a suitable RH Ofer to take bats away from Drew, Drew looks a lot better. He is a guy on the end of a 5 year deal, typically baseball players aren't like wine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF : I remember my son showing me a lot of posts here that suggested Adrian was a pipe dream and look what happened.  Anything is possible depending on a teams need and financial situation.  I guess those who believed Adrian was an option had more insight than others right?
    Posted by craze4sox

Craze4sox...

I thought the same about Adrian .. 3 years at least of wishing here and there.  But the difference is that apparently Theo had it bad for A-gon.   

Pence is a fine player - dirt dog fersure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence the perfect RF : As a sustainable franchise with the aspirations we have then you simply can not unload the farm system for every good/superstar free agent to be.  We paid a price to get Gonzo, both financially and to our minor league system.  I, for one love having Pedey, Ellsbury, Youk, Paps, Lester, Bard and so on, well we wouldn't have these type of players if we traded every decent prospect we had. 
    Posted by mechrisuk

Of course not mechrisuk, thats why we have so many kids from the farm and just the right mix of Vets.  Thats what a solid franchise is all about.  People are taking my intensions wrong on this thread.  All I meant was it would be nice to have a complete OF that doesn't need to be platooned like Trot and J.D have been.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Posted by craze4sox

There's a huge difference in the financial situations between the Padres and the Astros though, even more so given their new (pending?) ownership.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I agree that Hunter Pence is the ideal replacement for Drew in RF. While he may not be available and or we don't have the chips to make a deal for him this year. A player with his profile is the ideal fit to play right with Crawford in left and Ellsbury in center. He's a 280-20 homer guy with the arm and legs to man RF in Fenway which is in some ways almost more important than the bat.  So while many of you rightfully opin that we likely can't aquire him...The concept of trading for Pence does appear to be a bit of pipe dream. From where I sit, he is, as the tittle of this thread suggest, "the perfect fit". So then the question becomes this offseason, if not him than whom? Reddick and Kalish are both options, they can also be used as chips in a deal?

That said, they'll be plenty of time this winter to sort out the roster for 2012 and beyond. I'll leave the heavy lifting to Epstein and like many among us make known my wishes after the seasons complete...Pence would be on a short list of guys I'd love to see wearing a sox uniform, however unlikely that is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I agree that Hunter Pence is the ideal replacement for Drew in RF. While he may not be available and or we don't have the chips to make a deal for him this year. A player with his profile is the ideal fit to play right with Crawford in left and Ellsbury in center. He's a 280-20 homer guy with the arm and legs to man RF in Fenway which is in some ways almost more important than the bat.  So while many of you rightfully opin that we likely can't aquire him...The concept of trading for Pence does appear to be a bit of pipe dream. From where I sit, he is, as the tittle of this thread suggest, "the perfect fit". So then the question becomes this offseason, if not him than whom? Reddick and Kalish are both options, they can also be used as chips in a deal? That said, they'll be plenty of time this winter to sort out the roster for 2012 and beyond. I'll leave the heavy lifting to Epstein and like many among us make known my wishes after the seasons complete...Pence would be on a short list of guys I'd love to see wearing a sox uniform, however unlikely that is.
    Posted by Beantowne

Thank you Beantowne for understanding my thread.

Sections
Shortcuts