Hunter Pence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Hunter Pence

With AG, Crawford and Ells all Left-handed hitters, along with the real possibility of Ortiz returning in 2012, Boston needs a Right-handed bat to replace Drew, not Kalish or Reddick, IMO.

Pence has been around a bit but is young, a still-emerging hitter with pop, a natural RF and a very good athlete.
    I'm an Astros season ticket holder and this guy is a quality player. Great second half of the season in 2010 and off to a real solid start this year.

He's also getting close to getting his pay day; a consideration for Theo.
    But my guess is with the Astros in rebuilding mode, he could be had. It wouldn't be cheap but Boston HAS to get a Righty with pop in the lineup to balance things out for the future. The way Ortiz is hitting the DH job looks like it'll be his next season and replacing Drew with another Lefty bat (Reddick, Kalish, Andre Ethier, etc..) simply won't address their unbalanced lineup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Hunter Pence

I love it.

Submit this idea to Theoepsteinmanincharge@redsox.com.

Let's see where we can go with this.

Replacing Drew is something that should have been done a long time ago.

But as "Give 'em hell" Harry might have said," better late than never."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

when you do contact THEO, please include HUNTER'S baseball card.
    THEO likes to peruse the back of baseball cards before making any deals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

interesting. and brad mills is still pretty good friends with our tito.

Yo Bill, get on the phone to theo.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

The way I look at it, Theo had to replace either DH or RF (maybe both) with a Right-handed power bat this upcoming off season. Turns out Papi is hitting like a guy Boston will want to bring back next year so he's left with replacing the RF.

Pence could hit most anywhere in the middle of the order; hit homers and drive in runs. Mixed in with AG, Youk and Papi, he'd probably do exceptionally well, IMO. And he's plenty athletic enough to cover the big RF @ Fenway too. 

Biggest hurdle could be the double-whammy of having to trade a host of prospects to get him and THEN sign him to a long-term deal. Just one year after having to do the same to get Gonzalez.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

I don't see the Astros trading their best hitter just after selling the team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter Pence:
    Posted by sgtnull

I gotta agree.  He seems like the 1 guy they would be sure to hold on to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I don't see Pence coming here unless Reddick and Pimentel or Bowden would do it.  And they would not bring back a quality RH hitting ML outfielder.  Sox do not have the minor league depth and talent to swing that deal after giving up their top three for Gonzalez.  This is a problem that will be solved next winter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Posted by sgtnull

Thank you for the sanity check, Sarge. 

How else are the Astros going to sell any GD tix if they can't attract fans with at least one fan favorite? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

WE ARE GONNA NEED ALL OF OUR MINOR LEAGUE TRADING CHIPS FOR A STARTER AND A COUPLE OF PEN GURUS. SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BLOW GAMES IN APRIL...2 GAMES OUT...4 GAME LOOSING STREAK...AND A PITCHING MESS. SURE...MONEY CAN FIX A LOT OF THIS, BUT WE'RE NOW "LIMPING' IN EARLY JUNE!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Hunter pence is definetly a good option. Many people have mentioned eithier and kemp as other possibilities as well. eithier is exactly what we dont need. a left handed outfielder who sucks at fielding. kemp would be a great fit as would pence. Of the 2, i think pence would cost less in terms of prospects and the more likely to be available at the deadline.astros are going into a rebuild he is pretty much the only guy they have who could bring back some good prospects. i think the deal would have to start with reddick, then toss in lowrie, and ad a b level spec and i think that would work. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Hunter Pence:
    With AG, Crawford and Ells all Left-handed hitters, along with the real possibility of Ortiz returning in 2012, Boston needs a Right-handed bat to replace Drew, not Kalish or Reddick, IMO. Pence has been around a bit but is young, a still-emerging hitter with pop, a natural RF and a very good athlete. I'm an Astros season ticket holder and this guy is a quality player. Great second half of the season in 2010 and off to a real solid start this year. He's also getting close to getting his pay day; a consideration for Theo. But my guess is with the Astros in rebuilding mode, he could be had. It wouldn't be cheap but Boston HAS to get a Righty with pop in the lineup to balance things out for the future. The way Ortiz is hitting the DH job looks like it'll be his next season and replacing Drew with another Lefty bat (Reddick, Kalish, Andre Ethier, etc..) simply won't address their unbalanced lineup.
    Posted by OscarGamble

But aren't the Sox currently 5th in the MFL in runs scored?  Despite virtually nothing from C or LF and little from 2B?  And only 1B having a great season?  Is this really an issue greater than, say, next year's nbr 4 or 5 starter, lefty out of the bullpen or which guy will be in the Wally costume?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Posted by sgtnull

You have to give something to get something.    The Astros realize there's little in the Sox farm system to make a deal work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

I live an hour from Houston so I have some knowledge of the Astros. Houston would be happy to trade Pence - if you're willing to overpay for him. their farm system is nearly empty. so a fair trade in their eyes would replace Hunter in the line-up and give them some top rated minor leaguers to groom. Hunter is a nice player, but he is worth more to the Astros than he is likely to most other teams. also keep in mind that they way overpaid for Bill Hall - so I imagine he would be moved along with Hunter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

The Astros traded both Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman last season. Trust me when I say, those two were the face of the franchise. Fans out here don't view Pence like they did either one of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Hunter Pence:
    With AG, Crawford and Ells all Left-handed hitters, along with the real possibility of Ortiz returning in 2012, Boston needs a Right-handed bat to replace Drew, not Kalish or Reddick, IMO. Pence has been around a bit but is young, a still-emerging hitter with pop, a natural RF and a very good athlete. I'm an Astros season ticket holder and this guy is a quality player. Great second half of the season in 2010 and off to a real solid start this year. He's also getting close to getting his pay day; a consideration for Theo. But my guess is with the Astros in rebuilding mode, he could be had. It wouldn't be cheap but Boston HAS to get a Righty with pop in the lineup to balance things out for the future. The way Ortiz is hitting the DH job looks like it'll be his next season and replacing Drew with another Lefty bat (Reddick, Kalish, Andre Ethier, etc..) simply won't address their unbalanced lineup.
    Posted by OscarGamble
      EASY BIG FELLA,  YOUR WORKING TOO HARD AT THIS.....  THEO & I WILL TAKE CARE OF THE ROSTER AS NEEDED. BUT THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!   IN THEO I TRUST !!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It's real easy filling in the blanks with the All Star players on other rosters, but it's also unlikely...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

look up  "seriously overpay for"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

The Astros traded both Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman last season. Trust me when I say, those two were the face of the franchise. Fans out here don't view Pence like they did either one of them.
    Posted by OscarGamble

Phillies and Yankees got Oswalt and Berkman for cheap. But then again Berkman was for half a season and Oswalt was making $13 million. Pence would make a great addition to the Yanks, if your team doesn't want him.

Sections
Shortcuts