Hurricane Irene and Red Sox vs. A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Hurricane Irene and Red Sox vs. A's

Peter Abraham reports that the Red Sox may push up a couple of the games from this weekend's series because of the hurricane currently on track to hit Boston on Sunday afternoon, with significant rainfall and wind gusts arriving on Saturday. The A's and Red Sox share no mutual off-days until September 29th (the day after the regular season ends), plus the A's won't be back on the east coast for the rest of the year.

From a baseball perspective, I think it makes more sense to schedule a double-header for Saturday. The Red Sox won't leave Texas until around 1am on Thursday night, which means they wouldn't arrive in Boston until around 5am. By the time each player gets home, it could be 6am. A day/night double-header on Friday would mean that no one gets more than 3-4 hours of sleep.

The problem with scheduling a double-header for Saturday is that the rain could postpone one or both of the games anyway, and almost certainly the nightcap.

It's too late to ask Texas to move up tomorrow's game for a 12 noon start. It wouldn't be fair to the fans to change things on such short notice, and I don't know why the Rangers would want to accommodate the Red Sox. If the Commissioner's office forces the Rangers to alter the start time, there would be an uproar over Selig's alleged bias. Both the Red Sox and Rangers are headed for the playoffs, so MLB can't afford to play favorites.

Given the above realities, I would propose one of the following scenarios:

A: Shift Sunday's game to 4pm on Friday; push Friday's game back from 7pm to 10pm. Move Saturday's game up from 1pm to 11am. The players wouldn't have to arrive at Fenway until 2pm, which gives them about 7-8 hours of sleep once they get back from Texas. While the 10pm start of the second game sounds a little crazy, it's a Friday night, and there've been plenty of games (on weeknights, no less) where rain delayed the start of the game to around that time anyway. 4pm and 10pm starts on Friday and an 11am start on Saturday should allow the team to get all three games in with the A's this weekend, while also giving the players a minimum of 6 hours sleep between Thursday's game and Friday's double header, and Friday's double header and the Saturday game.

B: Play the games as scheduled (except possibly pushing the Saturday game up from 1pm to 11am) and then play the Sunday game on September 29th with the expanded roster. While inconvenient for the A's, the Red Sox wouldn't have to travel far from New York to Boston, and hopefully the game wouldn't make a difference in determinining the AL East winner or overall playoff seeding. There's a possibility that this game wouldn't have to be made up at all.

Financially, this option would cost the Red Sox a couple million dollars because of the loss of revenues from a home game, so perhaps MLB would allow the Red Sox to play the game, even if meaningless, as long as Henry agrees to cover the extra expense of flying the A's out for a day for what would amount to a glorified exhibition game among minor league call-ups.

C: Take your chances and schedule a typical 1pm/7pm double-header for Saturday. If the rain arrives, man up and play through it, assuming the hurricane force winds don't come until Sunday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Re: Hurricane Irene and Red Sox vs. A's

Can't these storms ever hit the Bronx?  Lol 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Double Header on Sat would be a good idea

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Hurricane Irene and Red Sox vs. A's:
    [QUOTE]Can't these storms ever hit the Bronx?  Lol 
    Posted by fenwayjack2[/QUOTE]

They'll hit the Bronx first!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Another thought: The games potentially missed vs. the A's may not matter by season's end.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The Yankees paid the weather gods to mess up the RS schedule.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I am not sure what they will do, but the hurricane could definitely influence the games over the weekend.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Move Friday game to 2 PM, and double header game ASAP that night. America isnt working anyway and Saturday is a day off more people who do. Play 3rd game on Saturday at 1 pm and shoot for enough innings to get an official game in. Day off on Sunday for As, and As had day off last monday. Lester and Wastefield on Friday, AAA callup or pen committe start with 2 days off after Satruday. Best laid plan of men, not mice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

"It's too late to ask Texas to move up tomorrow's game for a 12 noon start."

Even if it wasn't, it's hot enough playing in the Texas heat at night. Can you imagine playing in the heat of the day there? Our guys would be dropping like flies!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Move Friday game to 2 PM, and double header game ASAP that night. America isnt working anyway and Saturday is a day off more people who do. Play 3rd game on Saturday at 1 pm and shoot for enough innings to get an official game in. Day off on Sunday for As, and As had day off last monday. Lester and Wastefield on Friday, AAA callup or pen committe start with 2 days off after Satruday. Best laid plan of men, not mice.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

Penalizes the Sox bigtime given Thurs night game in Texas.  Not just a game on short sleep, but a double header on short sleep.  A's, coming from NYC, will be rested. 

With Miller pitching tonight, the Sox are effectively using a six man rotation, so starters should not be affected. 

Better to play Friday night and try to play two on Saturday.  If one game on Saturday is playable, that could be enough unless the Sox and Yankees are close at the end of September. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But the Yankees are playing in Baltimore, so therefore, it will effect the yankees more than Boston cuz Yankees are schedule to play double header on saturday at the same time the hurricane is probably will be there that time before heading to the northeast.  So I think we would not worry  as much as the Yankees do.  They are playing five games schedule against Baltimore within 4 days period.  If satuday double header games and sunday game are canceled, then the yankees would have more headache about making up these games than Boston cuz Boston is playing at home while the Yankees will have to travel everywhere!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from <>.The-Babe.<>. Show <>.The-Babe.<>'s posts

[QUOTE]But the Yankees are playing in Baltimore, so therefore, it will effect the yankees more than Boston cuz Yankees are schedule to play double header on saturday at the same time the hurricane is probably will be there that time before heading to the northeast.  So I think we would not worry  as much as the Yankees do.  They are playing five games schedule against Baltimore within 4 days period.  If satuday double header games and sunday game are canceled, then the yankees would have more headache about making up these games than Boston cuz Boston is playing at home while the Yankees will have to travel everywhere!!

Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Yeah...it's such a long trip from NYC to baltimore!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]"It's too late to ask Texas to move up tomorrow's game for a 12 noon start." Even if it wasn't, it's hot enough playing in the Texas heat at night. Can you imagine playing in the heat of the day there? Our guys would be dropping like flies!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Ike I live in the south & there is a site I been watching hurricanes for years,it has  Irene hitting Boston  at 8:00AM Monday, also it has  Irene hitting D.C., Philly & N.Y.C. if this is true it will just be a rainstorm by the time it hits Boston

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]Another thought: The games potentially missed vs. the A's may not matter by season's end.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disagree, and let's not forget why they play the games, but it will effect the box office and vendors !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

sounds like a three-some.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Right now many of us are not very concerned about how this affects the baseball schedule.

Hurricanes are more than a minor inconvenience to sports games. They ruin lives and property. 

I don't care if they ever play these freakin' games.

People's lives are much more important than a handful of ballgames.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I've read that the typical revenue taken in per game at Fenway is more like $4-5 mil.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]Right now many of us are not very concerned about how this affects the baseball schedule. Hurricanes are more than a minor inconvenience to sports games. They ruin lives and property.  I don't care if they ever play these freakin' games. People's lives are much more important than a handful of ballgames.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

They also put in huge dent into the tourism, fishing, and lobstering industries. Many areas are very dependent on the outside dollars that tourists bring in and the multiplier effect of respending those dollars is significant.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yes the hurricane will hit Boston approximately monday morning, but rain could hit Boston any time from today to tuesday!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]Yes the hurricane will hit Boston approximately monday morning, but rain could hit Boston any time from today to tuesday!!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]
    if a hurrican hits DC sunday morning it will be a tropical dep or storm by Monday morning it wont be a hurricane

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Not just a game on short sleep, but a double header on short sleep.

Red Sox will likely get in about 4 am EDT. Start mostly the younger guys in first game. Lester and Wastefield already flown ahead. Not a penalty, it's not a long flight to europe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from letswinsox. Show letswinsox's posts

I have tickets to the Saturday game, and I will be driving in from NY so I am a bit biased. I would like to see a double header on Saturday, because I would probably try to get a ticket to the second game and watch both of them. Sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I have tickets to the Saturday game, and I will be driving in from NY so I am a bit biased. I would like to see a double header on Saturday, because I would probably try to get a ticket to the second game and watch both of them. Sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday.
    Posted by letswinsox[/QUOTE]

I heard them discussing this on the radio today.  They said that they may try to start the first game earlier, as early as 11:00, and the next game a little earlier, (as early as 5:00 or 6:00).  But if this happens they can't broadcast the 2nd game,  (something to do with Fox broadcasting).  Not sure but I would imagine they would make an exception because of the weather.  Also if they play a doubleheader they will probably need the extra time to account for any rain delays.  Rain delays over the weekend is definitely a possibility. 

Sections
Shortcuts