Huston Street a Red Sox possibility...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Huston Street a Red Sox possibility...

... according to this tweet from the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo:

http://twitter.com/#!/nickcafardo/status/136919621344309248

Whom could the Red Sox trade for the 28-year-old closer whose contract has one guaranteed year at $7.5 million and one option year at $9 million?

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/colorado-rockies.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Re: Huston Street a Red Sox possibility...

I would give them Dice-K and that's it. Isn't this one of reasons how we ended up in this position? Trading away prostpects for mediocre talent. Might as well sign a FA like Madson for that $$$.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i wouldnt mind huston street. In fact i would prefer him to any of the free agent closer.(k-rod and bell were close) I dont think he would cost much either. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Huston Street a Red Sox possibility...:
    I would give them Dice-K and that's it. Isn't this one of reasons how we ended up in this position? Trading away prostpects for mediocre talent. Might as well sign a FA like Madson for that $$$.
    Posted by Wolfpack13

Ryan Madson, who is three years older than Huston Street, would require more years and more money per year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Not a bad option but a little expensive.  If we need insurance that Bard can't do the job I say go after Street.  If we think Bard is the man then don't waist your time or money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Rockies are looking for 3b and starting pitching.  How about Lowrie and Doubront for Street and a minor league RH OF prospect?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I personnally would prefer either Madison Avenue or Santa Fe Blvd.

Isn't it weird that the Indianapolis Colts have guys named Dallas Clark and Austin Collie?  Maybe they can get (San) Antonio Pierce to come out of retirement. Perhaps there is front office position available for Amarillo Slim?  Ole Miss just fired head coach Houston Nutt.  They could start calling their plays in Spanish, this play is a La Run and this one is an El Paso.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Rockies are looking for 3b and starting pitching.  How about Lowrie and Doubront for Street and a minor league RH OF prospect?
    Posted by parhunter1

How about righthand-hitting Colorado outfield prospect Kent Matthes?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=matthe001ken

I suspect the Rockies would get a better offer for Huston Street than Jed Lowrie, who turns 28 years old in the opening weeks of his first (more expensive) arbitration season, and a 24-year-old lefthander coming off a disappointing season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by Wolfpack13

It's $7.5M v the $44M Philly allegedly offered?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think most baseball people would rate Bard over Street.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Posted by dgalehouse

But, most would rate Bard/Street over Bard/Jenks too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Huston Street a Red Sox possibility... : But, most would rate Bard/Street over Bard/Jenks too.
    Posted by moonslav59

I don't mind Street as a set up man , if the Sox want to pay him for that role.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

In argueably his worst year last year, in the hitter frenzy Coors Field, Street had a career high 3.86 ERA with 10 homeruns. His strikeouts have been constansty around 1 per inning over his career, but his walks have decreased steadily since 2008 from 27, to 13, to 11, and to 9 which is a very key stat. I would deffinitly pursue him and hopefully he can fill into a role like Keith Foulke once had.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Also, Francisco Cordero anybody!?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In argueably his worst year last year, in the hitter frenzy Coors Field, Street had a career high 3.86 ERA with 10 homeruns.

It's not the hitter's park it used to be. (6 of the 10 HRs were on the road.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by Wolfpack13

Mediocre talent like Adrian Gonzalez and Victor Martinez?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Also, Francisco Cordero anybody!?
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4

No, nay, nein, nada, no way, not as a closer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Huston Street a Red Sox possibility... : Mediocre talent like Adrian Gonzalez and Victor Martinez?
    Posted by notin

You'd begin to think so if the only Sox baseball you knew came off this forum.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In argueably his worst year last year, in the hitter frenzy Coors Field, Street had a career high 3.86 ERA with 10 homeruns. It's not the hitter's park it used to be. (6 of the 10 HRs were on the road.)
    Posted by moonslav59

Coors I think has the largest OF, meaning most actual OF space of any park in baseball.  So while it is true it is no longer a HR factory, there are still some advantages to the hitter. 

I agree with you that Bard/Street is way better Bard/Jenks. 

The problem to me is not the money, 7.5 for next year is fine and it is not a long term commitment but the problem is what would Street cost the Red Sox in prospects?  Or is this the makings of a Youk deal?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Could Twitter be less informative? 

I don't get how professional journalists can use it and take themselves seriously...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Street is a 3M one year max profile. next..................................

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Point is why give up players for Mr. Street when you can get similar talent for the price? We should also learn relief pitchers, while they are needed, seem to be the least reliable off season acquisitions (see: 2010 Sox bullpen).

Here's a novel idea: strengthen the rotation.

Notin: good point on the Gonzalez and Martinez trades I should have specified the mediocre talent has come via FA signing rather than trades.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by dgalehouse

Why?  Street has been a very good ML closer.  Bard has never closed.

Sections
Shortcuts