Hw does the Ortiz homer compare

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Hw does the Ortiz homer compare

In response to manosome's comment:

to the game winning homer Fisk hit in '75?

Based on everything that came before the Ortiz homer, I'm going with the opinion that the Ortiz homer was more earth shaking. It's a tough call either way.

The Fisk homer was in a World Series, and at that time, probably had a much greater share of the television viewing audience.  It helped spark more interest in MLB, which had been slumping before then.  From a Red Sox fan's perspective, Fisk's home run was the ultimate conclusion to what had been an incredible game, but the Red Sox ending up losing the series anyway.  I would argue that the Bernie Carbo homer was just as earth shaking, and probably a better one to compare to Papi's given similar game situations, even Papi's lastest wasn't in an elimination game.

As far as last night's home run goes, it was wonderful, but no matter what happens, Papi will never top his heroics of 2004 when he woke up the team from the dead, leading to the greatest series comeback in baseball history (and maybe all of major US sports history), and ultimately, the end of the curse.  Last night's homer only extends the legend, but the 2004 Game 4 ALCS really established it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Salty was the first Red Sox catcher with a walk off hpme run, since Fisk in '75.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Salty was the first Red Sox catcher with a walk off hpme run, since Fisk in '75.

**Walk off  HIT

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Based on everything that came before the Ortiz homer, I'm going with the opinion that the Ortiz homer was more earth shaking. It's a tough call either way.

The Fisk homer was in a World Series, and at that time, probably had a much greater share of the television viewing audience.  It helped spark more interest in MLB, which had been slumping before then.  From a Red Sox fan's perspective, Fisk's home run was the ultimate conclusion to what had been an incredible game, but the Red Sox ending up losing the series anyway.  I would argue that the Bernie Carbo homer was just as earth shaking, and probably a better one to compare to Papi's given similar game situations, even Papi's lastest wasn't in an elimination game.

As far as last night's home run goes, it was wonderful, but no matter what happens, Papi will never top his heroics of 2004 when he woke up the team from the dead, leading to the greatest series comeback in baseball history (and maybe all of major US sports history), and ultimately, the end of the curse.  Last night's homer only extends the legend, but the 2004 Game 4 ALCS really established it.

I guess we'll see if Sunday night's heroics have woken up this team.

If Verlander doesn't bring his best game, I think the Sox are going to be all over him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 15h

David Ross referred to David Ortiz as "Cooperstown" today

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 15h

David Ross referred to David Ortiz as "Cooperstown" today

awesome.  that is all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

I wouldn't really compare David's latest heroics to the homer Fisk hit.  To me the real comparison was to Bernie Carbo's HR that set the stage for Fisk's classic. The actual number of reasons why is amazing. Down to our last few outs, down 3 runs, etc.

One major difference was that David's HR was on the first pitch.  I wonder how many of us remember that Carbo had just barely managed to foul off the previous pitch to keep from striking out?   Some one will correct me I am sure if my memory is wrong, but wasn't Carbo actually pinch hitting at the time as well??  

To me one of the greatest moments in Sox history that gets far less attention than it deserves.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2004: down 3-0 games to the Yanks. Down 2-1 in the elimination game 4. Papi singles 2 runs to give us a 3-2 lead in the 5th. Later in the bottom of the 12th- all tied up: 2-run jack to win game 4.

Game 5 (down 3-1): papi puts us in the lead with a single in the 1st. Later, down 4-2, he hits a solo HR in the 8th to make it 4-3 (VTek's sac fly ties it later that inning). 14th inning- tied 4-4 with 2 on- Papi gets a walk-off line drive base hit to win it.

Game 7, first inning: 2 run job by Papi and we're on our way to the WS.

1st game of 2004 WS: first inning 3 run jack sets the tone, and we sweep.

Let's hope the run in 2004 continues in 2013!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to tetonman50's comment:

I wouldn't really compare David's latest heroics to the homer Fisk hit.  To me the real comparison was to Bernie Carbo's HR that set the stage for Fisk's classic. The actual number of reasons why is amazing. Down to our last few outs, down 3 runs, etc.

One major difference was that David's HR was on the first pitch.  I wonder how many of us remember that Carbo had just barely managed to foul off the previous pitch to keep from striking out?   Some one will correct me I am sure if my memory is wrong, but wasn't Carbo actually pinch hitting at the time as well??  

To me one of the greatest moments in Sox history that gets far less attention than it deserves.  

Yes, Carbo was pinch hitting.  It was his 2nd pinch hit homer of the series (he hit one in game 3 as well).  And yes, Carbo barely managed to foul off the previous pitch.  I still recall Sports Illustrated descrining it as "fouled off the pevious pitch with all the power and grace of a suburbanite raking leaves"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey TM50...long time!!!..how's things???..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Yes, Carbo was pinch hitting.  It was his 2nd pinch hit homer of the series (he hit one in game 3 as well).  And yes, Carbo barely managed to foul off the previous pitch.  I still recall Sports Illustrated descrining it as "fouled off the pevious pitch with all the power and grace of a suburbanite raking leaves"

Yes it compares to Carbo s

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Both right up there in the Classic pantheon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Yes Carbo's HR in game 6 is the one to compare it to. If not for that, no Fisk HR. Just like in game 5 1986 ALCS, Without Don Baylor's HR to cut it to one run, Hendu's HR wouldn't have mattered. Another unsung HR was Baylor's Everybody forgets that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Carbo probably doesn't remember the experience.

From the Boston Globe:

"I probably smoked two joints, drank about three or four beers, got to the ballpark, took some [amphetamines], took a pain pill, drank a cup of coffee, chewed some tobacco, had a cigarette, and got up to the plate and hit,'' Carbo said.

It wasn't a one-time binge, either:

"I played every game high,'' Carbo said. "I was addicted to anything you could possibly be addicted to. I played the outfield sometimes where it looked like the stars were falling from the sky."

Sections
Shortcuts