hypothetical off season trade opportunity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

hypothetical off season trade opportunity

At present with the Sox riding high, I'm just curious as to how many on the forum would be in favor of pursuing Giancarlo Stanton by way of a trade with the Marlins in the off-season, and which Sox players should they be willing to part with in order to obtain Stanton?

The perfect trade is the one that helps both teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: hypothetical off season trade opportunity

In response to dustcover's comment:

At present with the Sox riding high, I'm just curious as to how many on the forum would be in favor of pursuing Giancarlo Stanton by way of a trade with the Marlins in the off-season, and which Sox players should they be willing to part with in order to obtain Stanton?

We have the right pieces to make an offer the Marlins would except, but the issue is how far are we willing to go?

We spent quite some time building up our farm. We have a nice ML team and a great future ahead of us. We have payroll felxibility.

That being said, one has to realize that all of our prospects are not going to be significant MLB players while under our control. The problem is we may trade away just the ones that will be, and it is somewhat of a guessing game.

There are those who feel that we could never get Stanton without parting with Bogaerts. I tend to disagree, but realize it would take a big package of lesser prospects to get the Marlins to accept the offer.  I am not saying I am for these deals, but I think this non-Bogey offer may do the trick. Decide for yourself, if it is worth it.

Offer 1:

1 of Middlebrooks or Cecchini

1 of Lavarnway or Vazquez

1 of Brentz or Coyle

2 of Ranaudo, Webster, de la Rosa, Workman, or Britton

Offer 2:

Bradley Jr.

1 of Brentz, Coyle, or Almanzar

1 of Ranaudo, Webster, de la Rosa, Workman, or Britton

I'm pretty certain this offer could get him, but I think this is clearly "too much":

Bradley Jr.

2 of Ranaudo, Webster, de la Rosa, Workman, Britton, Lavarnway, Brentz or Coyle

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

depends on the price. the more time he spend on the marlins, the less TC he has the the less value. factor in that he's having a down year and that could reduce the price even further... even then though, still might be too high for us. Having said that though, I would resign jacoby and include JBJ in my package for stanton.

i'd start with a package of Doobie, JBJ, and 1 of Cecchini/Webster/ranaudo. Even that probably wouldn't be enough to land him. i'd definitely make a run for him though. definitely don't give up Bogaerts no matter what.

might have to go with Doobie, JBJ, webster AND ranaudo to get it done. not sure if i'd do that though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If I were GM of the Marlins, there would be no deal without Bogaerts.  Stanton has 3 full seasons of control left, so there is no real rush to move him...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If I were GM of the Marlins, there would be no deal without Bogaerts.  Stanton has 3 full seasons of control left, so there is no real rush to move him...

but those last 3 years is when they will be paying him the most money (no way he stays as a FA either...)

now would be the ideal time for the Marlins to trade him. his salary is about to baloon, teams will be willing to give up more for for 3 years as opposed to 2 or less.. but i agree, i would not trade him without netting bogaerts

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I like him, but he's trended down a little this year, and that scares me. I dont like moving Middlebrooks or Bogaerts either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

but those last 3 years is when they will be paying him the most money (no way he stays as a FA either...)

now would be the ideal time for the Marlins to trade him. his salary is about to baloon, teams will be willing to give up more for for 3 years as opposed to 2 or less.. but i agree, i would not trade him without netting bogaerts

[/QUOTE]

He will not huge money via arbs until his last year or two arbs, and even then, it is not open market money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know we've discussed this before, but you really don't think the marlins would agree to this?

Bradley Jr.

2 of Ranaudo, Webster, de la Rosa, Workman, Britton

1 of Lavarnway, Brentz or Coyle

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I like him, but he's trended down a little this year, and that scares me. I dont like moving Middlebrooks or Bogaerts either.

With Bogey and Cecchini able to play 3B, I think Middlebrooks is expendable, but I'm not for trading him just for the sake of it. I like him a lot and think he has big potential. However, Stanton is more of a sure bet future star.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Thanks for all your thoughtful responses.

If I may, allow me to broaden the topic by saying that I like the makeup of the Sox 2013 outfield, particularly what Victorino has brought to the party. 

However with that being said, I'm wondering if Stanton could be converted to a first baseman.  If not, and Ellsbury is resigned, how would you feel about Stanton in LF, Ellsbury in CF, and Victorino in RF, with Nava as the fulltime 1B.  With Middlebrooks at 3B, Bogaerts at SS, and Pedey at 2b, along with Salty catching, the lineup would be very potent.

Now play along for a moment, and tell me how you would construct the batting order with this ensemble of talent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

I know we've discussed this before, but you really don't think the marlins would agree to this?

Bradley Jr.

[/QUOTE]

If the Marlin move Stanton, they SHOULD ask for the closest sure thing possible.  I think anything else gives them multiple lottery tickets, but a strong potential for no real jackpots.

If 2 expensive years of James Shields can get two top 100 prospects, including one top 5, how on Earth can 3 arbitration years of Stanton go for less?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd rather see the Sox go hard after Jose Abreu.  Best case scenario, he's as good as Stanton.  Worst case scenario, he crushes lefties and platoons with a guy like Carp, we give up nothing, and eat some salary for a few years.  I think we can better afford to give up some salary right now than a guy who may turn out to be a future all-star SS or top of the rotation starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Middlebrook, Workman, Britton and Brentz are all untouchable.  They are too good to trade them.  Bradley can be include in the deal only if Ellsbury resign with the team.

IF Ellsbury goes, then Bradley stays.  IF Ellsbury resigns with Boston, I would just part away Bradley, Ranaudo, and Webster.  

Heck no way that Boston going to give up four or five plus players just for Stanton.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Middlebrook, Workman, Britton and Brentz are all untouchable.  They are too good to trade them.  Bradley can be include in the deal only if Ellsbury resign with the team.

IF Ellsbury goes, then Bradley stays.  IF Ellsbury resigns with Boston, I would just part away Bradley, Ranaudo, and Webster.  

Heck no way that Boston going to give up four or five plus players just for Stanton.  

workman,britton and brentez are untouchable? that's some funny stuff....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bradley Jr.

[/QUOTE]

If the Marlin move Stanton, they SHOULD ask for the closest sure thing possible.  I think anything else gives them multiple lottery tickets, but a strong potential for no real jackpots.

If 2 expensive years of James Shields can get two top 100 prospects, including one top 5, how on Earth can 3 arbitration years of Stanton go for less?

[/QUOTE]

this is exactly right..marlins should get two or even 3 of our top prospects...they will get the top prospects from any team they deal him to...or why even try to deal him....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

If I'm Cherington I stand pat if possible until after he figures out where we are with resigning our free agents, look around at who else might be available beside Stanton and then make a move, again if only needed. I like the club as constructed and hate to give up great prospects like Bogey. 

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

BP should be our priority....again. We went with Superstars route, no thanks. Ballplayers works fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

If I'm Cherington I stand pat if possible until after he figures out where we are with resigning our free agents, look around at who else might be available beside Stanton and then make a move, again if only needed. I like the club as constructed and hate to give up great prospects like Bogey. 

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

to tell you the truth..i would not make the deal....resign napoli and salty...and just add to that..pence or choo? maybe deal one of our starters? lot's of way's to go..don't give up boggy...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

How old is Choo? 32?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I don't trade for him. Hes still young. Let him play out his 3 years and you can see if all these nagging injuries are a yearly occurrence or know better exactly what your getting with the bat. Personally, if I give up/pay what it will cost, I want a 300BA 30HR and 100RBI with 150 games played. Hes not really any of that right now.

I think the Sox are willing to keep certain prospects long enough to prove themselves. If they were to give a group of them up for someone, Im not sure Stanton is the guy. If I were the GM, I wouldnt give up a potential haul of players it would cost unless I could have The player in return for a couple of his FA years. A 6-8 year deal. I think there are too many question marks right now to do that.. We are in a good enough spot where we dont have to take that chance. We can resign Jake, or Look at a guy like Choo, make a different trade that would cost as much in prospects and $$$.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

How old is Choo? 32?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I don't trade for him. Hes still young. Let him play out his 3 years and you can see if all these nagging injuries are a yearly occurrence or know better exactly what your getting with the bat. Personally, if I give up/pay what it will cost, I want a 300BA 30HR and 100RBI with 150 games played. Hes not really any of that right now.

I think the Sox are willing to keep certain prospects long enough to prove themselves. If they were to give a group of them up for someone, Im not sure Stanton is the guy. If I were the GM, I wouldnt give up a potential haul of players it would cost unless I could have The player in return for a couple of his FA years. A 6-8 year deal. I think there are too many question marks right now to do that.. We are in a good enough spot where we dont have to take that chance. We can resign Jake, or Look at a guy like Choo, make a different trade that would cost as much in prospects and $$$.

right on.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Ellsbury has played 130 less games, with 30 less base hits than Choo. You dont want to go to stolen bases. 20 stolen bases for him is big. Not a base stealer, also Strikeouts a lot.

He's got 102 stolen bases for his career, Ellsbury got 241.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Ellsbury has played 130 less games, with 30 less base hits than Choo. You dont want to go to stolen bases.

i would love to have ellsbury back..but at how much will the red sox pay?

choo made 7.3mil

pence made 13.8mil

they both will get a raise...how much will ellsbury want? 18-20mil? to me that's to much for him...