I am Confused On What The Red Sox Are Doing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

I am Confused On What The Red Sox Are Doing

I am totally lost. Red Sox want to get younger so they deal our ace SP for a 28 year old outfielder who hits .250. Now they deal Lackey for a 30 year old 1b/OF leaving top prospect Betts left in the dust.

The only good news out of today is we did get Joe Kelly, a 26 year old pitcher with very good stuff. But I am lost what are they Red Sox doing? either we going young or not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: I am Confused On What The Red Sox Are Doing

In response to razcreation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am totally lost. Red Sox want to get younger so they deal our ace SP for a 28 year old outfielder who hits .250. Now they deal Lackey for a 30 year old 1b/OF leaving top prospect Betts left in the dust.

The only good news out of today is we did get Joe Kelly, a 26 year old pitcher with very good stuff. But I am lost what are they Red Sox doing? either we going young or not?

[/QUOTE]

all the guys that brought in are all under 30 years old....that is young!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  23s
    Not sure how Cespedes, Victorino, Craig, Napoli, Bradley, Holt all fit together. More deals coming?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bring up the young pitchers and give them as much big league experience for next season as possible.

Next season sign Lester to a contract and add him to the young arms that looked promising along with all the hitting we acquired this season through trade.

World Series

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bring up the young pitchers and give them as much big league experience for next season as possible.

Next season sign Lester to a contract and add him to the young arms that looked promising along with all the hitting we acquired this season through trade.

World Series

[/QUOTE]

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure how Cespedes, Victorino, Craig, Napoli, Bradley, Holt all fit together. More deals coming?

[/QUOTE]

Has to be

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Yeah and who pitches against the Yankees this weekend? Is it going to be all rookies ? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Enough with Victorino, he has been hurt all year and I am growing tired of that as well. He comes back then gets hurt again, comes back and now he is hurt again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I love the addition of Allen Craig. Down year, but I think he'll bounce back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its much easier to fit these pieces together when you hazzard a guess that the FO is accepting that they arent going to get any more meaningful production in the last year of the Rehabbin' Hawaian's contract.

[object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Craig and Cespedes have Fenway swings, that's the upside.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like it, and I'd love to see someone try running on Cespedes or Bradley.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So betts will be traded for some 30 year who Sox will pay millions for. This org is a total mess right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So betts will be traded for some 30 year who Sox will pay millions for. This org is a total mess right now.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I don't understand this thinking.  Yes, Mookie got an early cup of coffee this year.  But he is 21 and not ready for prime time yet.  Mookie Betts is a bona fide big leaguer in 2016 earliest.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

I think everyone would agree that sox needed more power (Cespedes has more homers than entire sox outfield ) and more importantly timely hits with men on base. Who plays is up to Farrell .

if the team sucks changes have to be made.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Forget the fact that Kelly has been hurt this year and Craig is having an off year....think back to last years WS and tell me if you dont think every Sox fan would have traded Lackey for Craig/Kelly is a heart beat....even given the fact that Lackey was pitching great....I thnk the Lackey trade is more than fine......Lester/Gomes for Cespedes/Draft Pick is also ok, but it becomes fantastic in the FO has the guts to go back and resign JL as a Free Agent.....cant see the A's being a factor....comes down to matching Yankee Money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GumboSox. Show GumboSox's posts

I (wrongly) expected that they would be looking to bring back a mess of strong prospects.  It looks like instead they are doing through trades this year what they did through FA last year: bring in targeted, solid pieces with affordable price tags and not overwhelming term.

They struck gold last year (for one year, anyway) and it obviously remains to be seen if it will work again for next year. 

I don't love it or hate it -- but, if this is a correct interpretation -- it does at least provide further evidence of an evolving, broader organizational philosophy:

1) Continue to draft and develop homegrown "stars" (or what you hope will be stars)

2) Fill in the gaps w/ capable professionals at decent rates and low term

3) Be willing to let the homegrown "stars" leave if they price themselves out of the budget parameters (being willing to let a guy walk a year or two too early rather than hanging on to them a year or two to long)

If that is the organizational philosophy, I could live with it.  But it requires more cold calculation and discipline than a lot of us might be able to live with.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Sox get two bats that are under 30 and they get to have Napoli and Ortiz hitting around them at Fenway.

Sky Rockets in Flight...afternoon delight.

Tray Ball, Henry Owens and Ranaudo should get a few starts this season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Who is going to pitch for them next year?  I would be surprised if they resign Lester.  We can always hope that this happens but I believe that he signs with someone else.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

In response to GumboSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I (wrongly) expected that they would be looking to bring back a mess of strong prospects.  It looks like instead they are doing through trades this year what they did through FA last year: bring in targeted, solid pieces with affordable price tags and not overwhelming term.

They struck gold last year (for one year, anyway) and it obviously remains to be seen if it will work again for next year. 

I don't love it or hate it -- but, if this is a correct interpretation -- it does at least provide further evidence of an evolving, broader organizational philosophy:

1) Continue to draft and develop homegrown "stars" (or what you hope will be stars)

2) Fill in the gaps w/ capable professionals at decent rates and low term

3) Be willing to let the homegrown "stars" leave if they price themselves out of the budget parameters (being willing to let a guy walk a year or two too early rather than hanging on to them a year or two to long)

If that is the organizational philosophy, I could live with it.  But it requires more cold calculation and discipline than a lot of us might be able to live with.

[/QUOTE]

Logic can be beautiful can't it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Each situation is different because of the respective players' contracts.

The Sox could resign Lester now and waste his time pitching for a team going nowhere or sitting around for the rest of the season while the Sox find out what they have in young arms.  And if in the off season Lester chooses a contract with another team the Sox get zip. 

On the other hand, they loan him out to another team and get in return a relatively young, dynamic right handed power hitter sadly needed to play in the outfield, at least for another year.  And the possibility of resigning Lester in the offseason.

So if Lester wasn't going to stay with the Sox, at least they got something for him, and if his intention is to be with the Sox for the remainder of his career, he'll sign in the off season, and the Sox end up 'having their cake, and eating it too.' 

Either way it is a 'win/win' for the Sox.

It is my contention that the Sox have no intention of extending the contract of a 36-year-old pitcher to a big-dollar, 3 or 4 or even 5 year contract that Lester will be seeking.  So if my assumption is correct, that Lackey, who has already been paid $15M for 2012 when he was out for the season, has no intention of living up to his contract and pitch for the $500,000 minimum in 2015, the Sox have no plans to extend Lackey after this season. So it makes perfect sense to unload him now and get something in return. I see it as getting something for nothing. 

And that something is a 30-year-old Craig who was an All-Star in 2013 -- batting .315 with 13 homers and 97 RBIs in 134 games.  Albeit he has struggled this year, but could just as easily turn it around hitting in Fenway.  And the $5.5M for 2015 is certainly appealing, particularly if he plays up to his 2013 level.

Also included in the deal is 26-year-old Kelly, a right-handed pitcher who started seven games for the Cardinals this season. He's 2-2 with a 4.37 ERA. In his three year career in St. Louis, he's 17-14 with a 3.25 ERA. His best season was in 2013 when he went 10-5 with a 2.69 ERA.

So whether these two players contribute to the Sox future or not, and only time will tell, it's still a no loose move.

And Raz, I wouldn't worry too much about Betts being left in the dust.  From what I've seen, his ability will force the Sox to make room for his talent or he will become a very valuable trading chip.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.