I am Confused On What The Red Sox Are Doing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: I am Confused On What The Red Sox Are Doing

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

Enough with Victorino, he has been hurt all year and I am growing tired of that as well. He comes back then gets hurt again, comes back and now he is hurt again.

[/QUOTE]

That's the fault of the RED SOX; they keep reactivating him. Maybe the SOX can cut down on his playing time next year. Like, perhaps, 2 games a week. Victorino, the oldest 33 year old man on the planet, that is if his birth certificate's legit.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You know they just traded for Allen Craig, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Enough with Victorino, he has been hurt all year and I am growing tired of that as well. He comes back then gets hurt again, comes back and now he is hurt again.

[/QUOTE]

That's the fault of the RED SOX; they keep reactivating him. Maybe the SOX can cut down on his playing time next year. Like, perhaps, 2 games a week. Victorino, the oldest 33 year old man on the planet, that is if his birth certificate's legit.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Correct, but compared to Victorino, Craig's an iron man, as would have been JD Drew.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Correct, but compared to Victorino, Craig's an iron man, as would have been JD Drew.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I expected getting players under longer team control, so I am a bit "confused" as well, but I suppose we can trade Cespedes and Craig next deadline, if it looks like they don't fit or won't extend at a reasonable cost.

Sox4ever

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Next season sign Lester to a contract and add him to the young arms that looked promising along with all the hitting we acquired this season through trade."

If you're right it all looks good. But I expect the Yankees to sign Lester. Though of course they might be able to pull off a Hamels type deal. 

Bottom line if they will pay for one or two aces should be pretty good. 

If they won't the team will be interesting to watch (young players) but will be irrelevant from a wins/losses standpoint

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Hey Sandog TreyBall 20 yrs old 1 and 6   5.80 ERA in Single A is going to start in the majors this year ?  Where did you study baseball?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Forget the fact that Kelly has been hurt this year and Craig is having an off year....think back to last years WS and tell me if you dont think every Sox fan would have traded Lackey for Craig/Kelly is a heart beat....even given the fact that Lackey was pitching great....I thnk the Lackey trade is more than fine......Lester/Gomes for Cespedes/Draft Pick is also ok, but it becomes fantastic in the FO has the guts to go back and resign JL as a Free Agent.....cant see the A's being a factor....comes down to matching Yankee Money.

[/QUOTE]

the red sox have as much chance to sign JL next year as the chance Teddy Ballgame will come thru the door !!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Teddy Ballgame has left the building.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I hope we can extend Cespedes ASAP. If JBJ can figure out how to consistently hit MLB pitching, those 2 guys could be a nice OF tandem for many years to come. If we can make a play for Cole Hamels this will all look pretty good. If we can't nab him or someone comparable, I fear for our future. We shall see if Henry and the boys are going to spend next year or go cheap. And no amount of feigned effort at signing FA's or taking on salary via trade will move the Fenway faithful at this point. Failure will not be an option. We want some studs added befitting the club with the highest ticket prices in all of baseball. Let the Kansas City Royals sign the journeymen guys next season.

Teakus - Carpe Veritatem!

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I expected getting players under longer team control, so I am a bit "confused" as well, but I suppose we can trade Cespedes and Craig next deadline, if it looks like they don't fit or won't extend at a reasonable cost.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Outside of this board, the critics seem to think these moves are preliminary but the right ones, Lester especially.  The pattern so far isn't young vs. old so much as letting go of guys who are goners anyway, especially Lester, but also Lackey, Miller, Drew, etc.  The only pattern I see so far is dumping pitchers for hitters which given this season makes sense to me.  But my big point is I believe Ben C is several moves away from putting together the 2015 (and 2016) teams.  In 2012 he unloaded three big players, two of them hitters, with very little in return.  He went after no superstars in the 2012-13 offseason, but the Sox still won it all in 2013.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I think our position players are going to be fine.  Power hitters, 3B and even SS can be acquired.  What concerns me is top-flight pitching - or our lack of it - and the FO's attitude toward not signing pitchers to a contract that will make them 35-ish at the end of that contract.

Many pitchers don't come into their own until they figure out that they can't throw the ball by everyone, and then it takes them a couple of seasons to convince the owners that they can "Pitch".  Add to that the fact that before a pitcher comes to the AL East they need to prove they're able to pitch in the pressure, which for many teams means making the playoffs.   By the time they've done all of that many of the best ones are approaching 30+ and demanding a five or six year contract - which puts them off the board for the Red Sox if they hold to form.

It appears to me that the FO has put themselves in a Catch-22 position where they won't sign a pitcher to a long-term deal if that deal makes them 35+ at the end of it, and any TOR pitcher is going to want - and will probably get - a contract that will make him 35+ at the end of it.  

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Craig and Cespedes have Fenway swings, that's the upside.

[/QUOTE]

So betts will be traded for some 30 year who Sox will pay millions for. This org is a total mess right now.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

What does this even mean?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am totally lost. Red Sox want to get younger so they deal our ace SP for a 28 year old outfielder who hits .250. Now they deal Lackey for a 30 year old 1b/OF leaving top prospect Betts left in the dust.

The only good news out of today is we did get Joe Kelly, a 26 year old pitcher with very good stuff. But I am lost what are they Red Sox doing? either we going young or not?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I expected more prospects too, but I also assumed that those prospects, or others, would be flipped for other veterans, so it works out to the same thing.  We weren't going into 2015 with a $100M payroll.