I am old school and want to thank the Capt!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xcaliber. Show xcaliber's posts

I am old school and want to thank the Capt!

So many readers want to throw away the Capt and Wake. I realize their level of play is declined but if they leave we should send them off with a HUGE thanks not as some say "get the hell out". What is wrong with our fans who have that attitude? These guys gave us some great memories and years, so I say THANK YOU to both and perhaps we will see 1 or both in our coaching system soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt!

Well, they are saying it because kept seeing too many repeating threads about resigning these two people. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I've been saying retire #33 for a couple years now.  Hang it up in RF, that is how much respect Tek deserves for 2003-2008. 

That said, I'm also among those ready to say "get the h e l l out". 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Here here!

Thanks, Captain, for two WS titles and for giving 150% all the time.

I wish there were some way to bring you back for a victory lap, but it doesn't appear to be happening.

Hope to see you back in a Red Sox uniform - in the dugout or in Spring Training - helping Gary Tuck teach the newbies how to handle pitchers - except for Josh Beckett, whom no one can handle.

But I digress.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I am old school, and when a veteran player can no longer do his job well, he walks away gracefully without having to be told to do so. Varitek stooped so low that he had his girlfriend lobbying for another 2 or 3 year contract.

Varitek timeout is needed. A few years removed, he will be remembered for his better moments. For now, it is an embarrassing ending because Varitek refused to retire with grace.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Thank you for this thread xcaliber.  It is common sentiment that it is probably time to go for both these guys.  But, it is truly disheartening the way many are dismissing them with such disrespect, even disgust.  In modern baseball, there are hardly any players that become woven into the fabric of their clubs the way Wake and Tek have.  A heartfelt thank you is deserved, at the very least, for both these gentlemen.  Company men to the end, in the best possible way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt!:
    I am old school, and when a veteran player can no longer do his job well, he walks away gracefully without having to be told to do so. Varitek stopped so low he had his girlfriend lobbying for another 2 or 3 year contract. Varitek timeout is needed. A few years removed, he will be remembered for his better moments. For now, it is an embarrassing ending because Varitek refused to retire with grace.  
    Posted by hankwilliams

Hardly ever happens.  Crash Davis maybe.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Koufax and Borg and Robert T. Jones, Jr, to name a few.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I am old school, and when a veteran player can no longer do his job well, he walks away gracefully without having to be told to do so. Varitek stooped so low that he had his girlfriend lobbying for another 2 or 3 year contract. Varitek timeout is needed. A few years removed, he will be remembered for his better moments. For now, it is an embarrassing ending because Varitek refused to retire with grace.  
    Posted by hankwilliams
       GOOD POST HANK...... WE HAVE TOO MANY LIBERAL/LEFT/BLEEDING HEARTS IN RED SOX NATION THAT ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT TECK & WAKE HAVE ANOTHER 10 YEARS LEFT !!!!   WAKE UP RED SOX NATION..... TECK AS CAPTAIN MUST/SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT CHICKEN-GATE & BEER-GUTS TOO !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bobby Jones, maybe, though it was his health that had attributed to his end, not deterioration of skill.  Bjorg, maybe, though his was not exactly a graceful ride into the sunset.  Koufax only left because his arm had fallen off the year before.  

I'm not saying there are no examples of athletes who know when to say when.  But, I would imagine stepping away from a life in which you get paid princely sums and receive the adoration of the masses for playing a fun game is surely extremely difficult.  I would want to ride that bus as long as i could.  Anyone would.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt! :    GOOD POST HANK...... WE HAVE TOO MANY LIBERAL/LEFT/BLEEDING HEARTS IN RED SOX NATION THAT ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT TECK & WAKE HAVE ANOTHER 10 YEARS LEFT !!!!   WAKE UP RED SOX NATION..... TECK AS CAPTAIN MUST/SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT CHICKEN-GATE & BEER-GUTS TOO !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Ironic post Billy Boy, since the official Republican motto is "Old, out of touch, and not going anywhere".  I'll bet ya $10,000 that is true!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Bobby Jones, maybe, though it was his health that had attributed to his end, not deterioration of skill.

And you don't think Varitek and Wastefield are in such poor health that they needed to walk away? Jones could have gone on and made money doing exhibitions and playing in tournaments for advertising income purposes. Same for Koufax. Borg walked away at the top, the moment he decided his heart was no longer in the work ethic required to stay on top. It was quite graceful. 

Respect for the integrity and spirit of the game is a true ethic of virtue. Obviously, Varitek and Wakefield and Lowell did not have it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xcaliber. Show xcaliber's posts

Well at least I found some who believe they gave it all for us and should be thanked but we are stricken with the nay-sayers and bull headed who think everything should be new and now. I didn't say as players I believe they have many more years but their dedication to 1 team and vast knowledge of the game and the RedSox system makes them still a valuable member.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Varitek had a great career as a member of the Red Sox.  An instrumental part of two championships.  Thanks for starting this thread. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Varitek should have retired at end of 2007 or 2008. Very sad ending that he brought upon himself. Henry was too generous for too long. Varitek chose more money when the time long passed for his playing days to end. Ditto Wakefield, who should have retired at end of 2009.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bobby Jones, maybe, though it was his health that had attributed to his end, not deterioration of skill. And you don't think Varitek and Wastefield are in such poor health that they needed to walk away? Jones could have gone on and made money doing exhibitions and playing in tournaments for advertising income purposes. Same for Koufax. Borg walked away at the top, the moment he decided his heart was no longer in the work ethic required to stay on top. It was quite graceful.  Respect for the integrity and spirit of the game is a true ethic of virtue. Obviously, Varitek and Wakefield and Lowell did not have it.
    Posted by hankwilliams

OK.  Pretty severe judgement on Tek, Wake and Mikey Lowell.  For my taste, I actually choose to celebrate their 'respect for the integrity and spirit of the game', as, to me, they exemplify this spirit.  But, I guess I get where you are coming from.  I just don't see it the same way.  I just can't blame a competitive athlete for keeping it going until someone says stop.  In the case of tek and Wake, if you have to blame someone for their carrying too long, you really need to blame the club.  The club made the decision to keep them employed.  They didn't have to.  But they did.  I don't know.  Put the blame on the players if you must, but, if I were disgusted by their continued existence as ballplayers (which I haven't been), I would put all of the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Sox FO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to I am old school and want to thank the Capt!:
    So many readers want to throw away the Capt and Wake. I realize their level of play is declined but if they leave we should send them off with a HUGE thanks not as some say "get the hell out". What is wrong with our fans who have that attitude? These guys gave us some great memories and years, so I say THANK YOU to both and perhaps we will see 1 or both in our coaching system soon.
    Posted by xcaliber

I am one those fans who lives away from MA and one observation I have made from participating in this forum is that fans tend to be more loyal to management than they are to the players. I guess because MA, particularly Boston tends to lean to the left, this would make sense, favoring the collective rather than the individual.
    I have not been a Tek fan but do agree that the organization needs to find some role for him, same for Wake (although I would be fine with Wake continuing to pitch).
    The RS should find a way to keep both.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

We will miss Varitek and Wakefield as long time fans since they brought us many memories in their good years. In the BDC forum they will be missed since their absence ( and JD Drew's) will leave a void in the forum that will be difficult to fill. I do hope that all of the left-over hatred will not be focused solely on Carl Crawford now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to I am old school and want to thank the Capt!:
    Posted by xcaliber

i completely agree, that said they should retire

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

We will miss Varitek and Wakefield as long time fans since they brought us many memories in their good years. In the BDC forum they will be missed since their absence ( and JD Drew's) will leave a void in the forum that will be difficult to fill. I do hope that all of the left-over hatred will not be focused solely on Carl Crawford now.
    Posted by UticaClub

Don't worry Pike.  Youk is a clubhouse cancer.  Cherrington is a useless puppet.  Lester is an overrated bum.  Papi is a whining diva.  Gonzalez doesn't believe he is repsonsible for his actions (being in Gods hands and all).  Scutaro is the worst shortstop to ever put on spikes.  And, if those potential hate targets don't tip the hate scales, no problem, Daisuke matsuzaka comes back in June.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt! :  Don't worry Pike.  Youk is a clubhouse cancer.  Cherrington is a useless puppet.  Lester is an overrated bum.  Papi is a whining diva.  Gonzalez doesn't believe he is repsonsible for his actions (being in Gods hands and all).  Scutaro is the worst shortstop to ever put on spikes.  And, if those potential hate targets don't tip the hate scales, no problem, Daisuke matsuzaka comes back in June.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

you forgot Ellsbury.....oh waitSealed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt! : you forgot Ellsbury.....oh wait
    Posted by J-BAY

oh right.  F him and his master Scott Boras.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Old school?
    Hardly.

Thanks Jason. Great job!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt! : oh right.  F him and his master Scott Boras.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Do you need to be burped? Chill baby...chill...

Sections
Shortcuts