I am old school and want to thank the Capt!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt!

No it doesn't.  None of that is worth wasting roster spots on 2 guys who should retire.

Supposedly you started the thread to say they deserve respect and admiration for their tremendous contributions to the Sox.  No one has posted otherwise.

I guess you haven't read the whole thread, or you have softy on ignore...

For now, it is an embarrassing ending because Varitek refused to retire with grace.  

Respect for the integrity and spirit of the game is a true ethic of virtue. Obviously, Varitek and Wakefield and Lowell did not have it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Now that Varitek was finally kicked to the curb, Moonslob is on here trying to run more propaganda PC interference in what amounts to droning brain dead comments that are meaningless."  hankwilliams

No offense moonslav59 but the above is very funny. You have to laugh.

I don't find it funny at all bashing someone who gave so much to this team. I offered a heart-felt salute to VTek. All softy offers is vitriol, hatred, and bigotry. Laugh all you want, burr. It's your right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt! :  Don't worry Pike.  Youk is a clubhouse cancer.  Cherrington is a useless puppet.  Lester is an overrated bum.  Papi is a whining diva.  Gonzalez doesn't believe he is repsonsible for his actions (being in Gods hands and all).  Scutaro is the worst shortstop to ever put on spikes.  And, if those potential hate targets don't tip the hate scales, no problem, Daisuke matsuzaka comes back in June.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Man Spaceman, you need to follow a different team (if in fact you are a Sox Fan).  Sounds like you can't stand the Sox.  True fans support their team (whether they are winning or not) and make constructive comments.  You MUST have been in the dugout to have so deep a knowledge of how the players feel.  This thread is about respecting Tek & Wake for the good they brought to the team and thanking them for the years they played for the Red Sox.  If you don't like it, maybe you should run to the Skankees forum.  They would love the Sox bashing there, I'm sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am certain space was not speaking for himself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moonslow101 is funny by virtue of advocating paying millions to bring back 2 major roster problems from 2011 collapse team. 

1) I said they were botyh possible options at $1-1.5m each for 20012. I meantioned if Papi comes back, there is no reason to bring back Vtek. I mentioned Wake as one of many solutions to out 6/7 slot. You even said a minor league deal would be OK... that's not far from my6/7 slot suggestion.

2) If you really think that our back-up catcher, who hit better than about half of MLb starting catcghers, caught more innings than all but 2 back-up catchers was a "major" reason for the collapse, you are insane. We won 63% of the games VTek caught. Harping on the fact that VTel "could not finish the season" based on missing one game is disingenuous and misleading. Something you excel at doing. We had a losing record in the other games. Yeah, blame the winner. Silly clown.

3) If you really think our 6/7th starter, who led the team to a 12-11 record, was a "major" reason for the collapse, you are sillier than silly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]moonslow101 is funny by virtue of advocating paying millions to bring back 2 major roster problems from 2011 collapse team.  1) I said they were botyh possible options at $1-1.5m each for 20012. I meantioned if Papi comes back, there is no reason to bring back Vtek. I mentioned Wake as one of many solutions to out 6/7 slot. You even said a minor league deal would be OK... that's not far from my6/7 slot suggestion. 2) If you really think that our back-up catcher, who hit better than about half of MLb starting catcghers, caught more innings than all but 2 back-up catchers was a "major" reason for the collapse, you are insane. We won 63% of the games VTek caught. Harping on the fact that VTel "could not finish the season" based on missing one game is disingenuous and misleading. Something you excel at doing. We had a losing record in the other games. Yeah, blame the winner. Silly clown. 3) If you really think our 6/7th starter, who led the team to a 12-11 record, was a "major" reason for the collapse, you are sillier than silly.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon,

Even in your solid attempt to bring sanity where there is none, I am entertained and enlightened by your facts.  I realize the target of your post will always attempt an end run around what you really said - and I apologize for mixing sports metaphors - but I learned something interesting.  How can one not enjoy that?  Your thoroughness of information again hits the mark.  

Well done. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks, yaz. Your words are kind.

The silly clown did the same with Mikey. Ruthlessly bashing him and all those that supported him, and then later saying he was one of his favorite players.

(He forgets how he was saying Mikey should platoon with Papi vs LHPs before the start of 2010.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I am old school and want to thank the Capt! : Man Spaceman, you need to follow a different team (if in fact you are a Sox Fan).  Sounds like you can't stand the Sox.  True fans support their team (whether they are winning or not) and make constructive comments.  You MUST have been in the dugout to have so deep a knowledge of how the players feel.  This thread is about respecting Tek & Wake for the good they brought to the team and thanking them for the years they played for the Red Sox.  If you don't like it, maybe you should run to the Skankees forum.  They would love the Sox bashing there, I'm sure.
    Posted by Koolga[/QUOTE]

Sorry Koolga, I am aware that tongue-in-cheek speak and irony don't read well in print if you don't see it in context.  You would have had to read the whole thread, including the previous message from Pike that I was responding to in order to pick up my winking whine there.  I have been accused of being many things on this board, but a basher, never.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Moonslob forgets that my Lowell AB's v. LP comment was made in lieu of writing off all of Lowell's remaining foolish extension and before his injury was later revealed on trade nullity and he was washed up that spring.

Moonslob also will not note that Varitek ended 2011 the same way 2010 ended, as a part-time bench player who was physically unable to finish the season where every game needed all hands on deck. 

Moonslob will also never mention his statement that Ortiz could not hit LP and needed to be released with Lowell taking over DH slot.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moonslob forgets that my Lowell AB's v. LP comment was made in lieu of writing off all of Lowell's remaining foolish extension and before his injury was later revealed on trade nullity and he was washed up that spring.

Yada, yada, yada. You wanted Papi platooned just like I did. Once it became apparent there was not better option vs most LHPs, the issue went away.

Moonslob also will not note that Varitek ended 2011 the same way 2010 ended, as a part-time bench player who was physically unable to finish the season where every game needed all hands on deck. 

He missed one game in 2011. He caught more innings than all but 2 back-up MLB catchers. Spin all you want. Most of us know better.

Moonslob will also never mention his statement that Ortiz could not hit LP and needed to be released with Lowell taking over DH slot.

Your even changing your lies almost daily. You're a joke.

I never said release Papi. I wanted him moved down in the lin-up when you were saying to saend him to AAA on a fake rehab deal. The next year, I advocated platooning him and he had a .500 OPS vs the LH'd starters I said he should sit against. I said platoon him in 2011, if we had someone better. I was wrong about 2011, but I never came close to saying "release him" and you know it. You just love to lie, and then preach the moral high ground on other issues. You are a sick puppy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Moonslob, sick puppy is a mild analogy for your dim witted mind.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I missed the Mike Lowell comments...

softy called mikey every name in the book for about 3/4s of the season, then when he retires, softy showed his silliness by then saying Mikey was always one of his favorite players.

When I told him the reason Theo kept Mikey on the roster was for insurance in case Papi of Youk got hurt, softy, as always, misrepresnted my position as saying I thought Mikey was a good insurance policy. (He went on for weeks with his AIG anology thinking he was being clever, but in fact, he was arguing against a position nobody held...but maybe Theo) When Youk did get hurt, and Tito refused to use VMart at 1B, but instead used mikey and others, softy tried went ballistic, because he was proven wrong again. The issue wasn't whether Mikey would do or did well as youk's replacement, the issue was that Theo did indeed look at mikey as a back-up for injury.

(Later, softy clamoured for Lyle Overby as a pick-up ansd even a possible 1Bman for the next year! (WOW!) He pooh pooh'd my idea of picking up Dunn or LaRoche (a great 2nd half player) as rentals.

The list of Sox players softy spews venom towards has reached as high as 1/3rd of the roster. I guess you can call that being a "fan", but I call it being a bitter and silly clown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

) When Youk did get hurt, and Tito refused to use VMart at 1B, but instead used mikey and others, softy tried went ballistic, because he was proven wrong again.

Cant speak for Softy, but I read those comments at that time. In fact, Softy never went ballistic. It was you who went ballistic when Lowell was completely washed up and zero on insurance. You were proven wrong, again.

The issue was always whether Lowell was insurance, not what Inepstein valued him at. You were as stupid as Inesptein in valuing Lowell as insurance for Youk. Absurd!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You still have my position wrong... no surprise there.

You are softy and we all know it. You keep saying you "stated" this and that back 1-2 years ago, but your new ID  says you weren't around before Oct '11.

Your disingenuousness speaks volumes of your "moral compass" and the floundering of "modern civilization" by a generation made up of posers, liars, and scammers like you..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I've been saying retire #33 for a couple years now.  Hang it up in RF, that is how much respect Tek deserves for 2003-2008.  That said, I'm also among those ready to say "get the h e l l out". 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you.  He was one of the best catchers that ever played for the Red Sox.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalMike. Show SoCalMike's posts

Hi Folks,
    Has anyone mentioned the possibility of Tek as a bench coach, or would Boras talk him out of it? He certainly knows the picthers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he'd make a fine pitching coach who could help young catchers as well.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I never wanted Ortiz to platoon, I always said either play them all or release him. He has no value platooning at all. Guess stats are not all they are cracked up to be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, Papi had had horrible or near horrible numbers vs LHPs in 3 of the last 4 years. In 2010, his OPS was about .500 vs LH'd starters he should have sat against (had a poor history against up to that point).

Platooning is part of baseball. It allows more players to stay fresh and often puts the best team on the field any given day. We will see more of it with Bobby V.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

$10 million dollar DH's should not be platooning. That is the point, stats don't matter in this case. It was either play him or release him.

They kept him, they played him, and he had a solid season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A released player still would get $10M. 

Crawford makes over $20M and he should be platooned also:

Crawford vs LHPs:

Career  .684
    2011     .566
    2010     .696

You really want this guy playing vs most LHPs with these numbers?

DMac vs LHPs:
    Career   .799
    2011      .804
    2010      .821

These disparities are large enough to warrant a platoon. A hundred point gain in OPS over a season could amount to several wins.

I'd rather have Cody Ross and his .900+ OPS vs LHPs, but he may be too costly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

platooning is 4 the birds