I believe it's time for major changes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I believe it's time for major changes

With the Sox scuffling badly,[injuries are really hurting now, but are also part of the game] I believe it's overdue for some major changes.
    First the Sox should bring their best catcher and SS to Boston, Lavarnway and Iglesias.
    Then rid themselves of Beckett and or Buchholz.
    Put Bard back where he belongs in the pen[although I'm not competely sure Bard has the mental makeup to be a winner. Bard is no better than a fifth starter if left in the rotation, and I don't believe he has the right stuff to be a winner.
    Put Aceves in the rotation[and the Sox should also try Padilla their also], get rid of Albers and Moralas[both are average at best.
    Make trades for starters and outfield help, as Cidy Ross, Ryan Sweeney, and Marlon Byrd are fourth outfielders, and release McDonald.
    Now it certainly isn't anyone's fault that Ellsbury and Crawford are hurt, but replacing them with backup's instead of frontline outfielder's is not a good move.
    I realize these are many moves that teams don't normally make in May, but it's overtime, as these moves should have come much sooner.

It may very welll be that the FO has already written 2012 off, and are looking towards 2013. If that is the case then we should relax and look forward to football season.

Also I believe many on this team are whinners and complainers who are Francona lovers, and won't[don't] Want to go all out for Valentine. To that I say shame on you player's. I do not see any intensitiy on their part.

Player's who I don't believe are putting out a effort are Beckett, Lester, Buccholz[all three think more highly of themselves than they ought ] Gonzalez[not a Boston type as we are now finding out] Youkilis, who while hurt now, doesn't seem to want to play for Valentine, and should be traded as soon as possible. I think both Aceves and Padilla think of themselves as starter's, and are not pleased with their roles. Bard as I have said is a Stopper, not a Starter, and is being selfish by not wanting to help the team in a role he doesn't perfer.

Injuries and slumps happen to everyone and all teams, but tWo and one half months of bad baseball is not a slump, but player's not producing, and relying on average to backup player's to do the job.

Time to trade FO and start with Beckett and Youkilis.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: I believe it's time for major changes

I have to agree with much of your OP. IMO the FO will play it out a little longer, hopeing for a resurgence like last year, until the Sept. swoon. What I find so hard to believe is a team with a 180 million payroll would have so many holes to fill.  If things don't turn around the Sox will start bringing up the kids one at a time. Lavarnway for Salty should be their next move, then Iglesias. As for the pitching staff a major shakeup is in order, but I'm afraid we will be hampered by contacts to make neccesary moves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I agree that some major changes might be in order, perhaps a blockbuster trade....problem is , who would want the guys we don't want?

I'm not really sure what is the issue with Beckett, I only know it's high time we moved him. Youkilis , I think is more a matter of mismanagement. He moved to 1st base to accomodate Beltre, then moved back to 3rd to accomodate Gonzalez. They had him bat 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc...he can never be sure of his place in the batting order ( and yes, it makes a difference). They've made a yo-yo out of this guy. Most players don't move off of 1st base as they age, they move to 1st base and this is where they stay until they become a DH or retire. It a matter of the front office asking too much from an older, not very versatile player.

I disagree that Buchholz and Gonzalez should be given up on. These guys are not part of the problem. Sure , they are struggling. Do you give up on things when the going gets tough or do you stick with it?

The team is at a crossroads on a number of veterans. These are not easy decisions , I am glad that it's not my @ss in the GM seat right now. Cherington has inherited a whole bunch of problems and they are not going to be solved in one season, certainly not going to be solved in May.

Let's face it, the team has no real chance of a championship this season. But it should be fun to see how Cherington deals with it and brings the team back by (hopefully) 2014 or 15.

Keep the faith, it will be a struggle that will test us as fans. The bandwagon will be emptying out soon. Those that stay on , are the true fans. Are you in or out?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: I believe it's time for major changes:
    I agree that some major changes might be in order, perhaps a blockbuster trade....problem is , who would want the guys we don't want? I'm not really sure what is the issue with Beckett, I only know it's high time we moved him. Youkilis , I think is more a matter of mismanagement. He moved to 1st base to accomodate Beltre, then moved back to 3rd to accomodate Gonzalez. They had him bat 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc...he can never be sure of his place in the batting order ( and yes, it makes a difference). They've made a yo-yo out of this guy. Most players don't move off of 1st base as they age, they move to 1st base and this is where they stay until they become a DH or retire. It a matter of the front office asking too much from an older, not very versatile player. I disagree that Buchholz and Gonzalez should be given up on. These guys are not part of the problem. Sure , they are struggling. Do you give up on things when the going gets tough or do you stick with it? The team is at a crossroads on a number of veterans. These are not easy decisions , I am glad that it's not my @ss in the GM seat right now. Cherington has inherited a whole bunch of problems and they are not going to be solved in one season, certainly not going to be solved in May. Let's face it, the team has no real chance of a championship this season. But it should be fun to see how Cherington deals with it and brings the team back by (hopefully) 2014 or 15. Keep the faith, it will be a struggle that will test us as fans. The bandwagon will be emptying out soon. Those that stay on , are the true fans. Are you in or out?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Youk didn't move to first to accommodate Beltre.  He was already there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: I believe it's time for major changes : Youk didn't move to first to accommodate Beltre.  He was already there.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Youk moved to first in 2006 to accomodate Lowell.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

can we get 30 games with the assumed starting 8 before crying for wholesale changes? I for one would like to see the starting 8 as planned, a 7th, 8th and 9th inning of Morales, Bard and Bailey, with Aceves and Dice K in the starting 5.
    Assume health on June 15th and if the Sox can hang within 8-10 games Let em play thru Aug 1st and see what we have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

can we get 30 games with the assumed starting 8 before crying for wholesale changes? I for one would like to see the starting 8 as planned, a 7th, 8th and 9th inning of Morales, Bard and Bailey, with Aceves and Dice K in the starting 5. Assume health on June 15th and if the Sox can hang within 8-10 games Let em play thru Aug 1st and see what we have.
    Posted by rkarp

Your reasoned approach to this season, will not do, with the sky is falling attitude of RS nation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

It's time to shop Youk to see if the Reds, Indians et al will offer a decent prospect or decent young pen arm. That said, and I like Youk,

Here is the main trade focus profile:

Why everyone want to trade Ellsbury?  Since he went on DL, Boston fell apart.

The Red Sox were 1-5 with Ellsbury, who had the following numbers:

BA .192
    OBP .300
    SLG .269
    Zero Stolen Bases

After Ellsbury had another boo-boo season, the Red Sox are 11-12 without Ellsbury.

I'd say, if Ellsbury ever returns and puts up good numbers for a few weeks, get on the cell phone and start sending text messages that the trade bidding for Ellsbury is officially open season!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't believe it's time for major changes.  The bullpen has an ERA of a little over 1 for about 15 straight games since the 15-9 debacle with the Yankees.  The dinger hit off of Albers was outside the strike zone and not that bad a pitch. 

The lineup is nothing to brag about, but is still scoring runs, about as many as anyone else in the AL.  That's with Ellsbury, Youk, and Crawford on the DL.  It is absolutely foolish to go out and get first line outfielders when Sweeney/Ross/Byrd are adequate place holders.  They are doing better than the guys we had last year, except of course Ellsbury.  If Middlebrooks can stay healthy, he can make a difference. 

The problem is the starting pitching as it has been in 2008, 2009, and 2010.  But right now the Sox have five starters, three of whom (Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz) have had at least one very good season in the past.  On the DL but about ready to come off are two more--Cook and Matsuzaka.  Some combo of those 7--Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Doubront, Bard, Cook, and Matsuzaka--ought to be able to do the job.  If a good starter is available for a reasonable price, sure, get him.  But that ain't likely.  Someone else suggested maybe Shoppach should catch more games, and I'm starting to think that might work.  Too early I think to call up Lavarnway, who has very little catching experience at any level. 

Anyone who thinks Bard can close hasn't watched him very carefully.  Early or late in a game, he gets shaky if anything goes amiss.  When he was in the bullpen, he blew more saves than he games saved.   I think it's too early to end the starting experiment especially when the bullpen has been going great guns.

A trade involving Youk would make sense were Middlebrooks completely healthy and were Youk to have some real trade value, which apparently he does not--too many injury/health issues, plus some doubts about whether he is the same old Youk at the plate. I personally think he would make someone else a pretty good firstbaseman, but that's a minority opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

It's time to shop Youk to see if the Reds, Indians et al will offer a decent prospect or decent young pen arm. That said, and I like Youk, Here is the main trade focus profile: Why everyone want to trade Ellsbury?  Since he went on DL, Boston fell apart. The Red Sox were 1-5 with Ellsbury, who had the following numbers: BA .192 OBP .300 SLG .269 Zero Stolen Bases After Ellsbury had another boo-boo season, the Red Sox are 11-12 with Ellsbury. I'd say, if Ellsbury ever returns and puts up good numbers for a few weeks, get on the cell phone and start sending text messages that the trade bidding for Ellsbury is officially open season!
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Why you want to get rid of young guy?  you sounded like you want to bring in 33 to 34 years old Free agent center fielder replace him!!!!

Ellsbury is not going anywhere!!!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: I believe it's time for major changes : Why you want to get rid of young guy?  you sounded like you want to bring in 33 to 34 years old Free agent center fielder replace him!!!! Ellsbury is not going anywhere!!!  
    Posted by GoUconn13

I keep reading about a 189 million threshold on salaries, in the upcoming years, or team will be hit with a huge luxury tax. With Boras as agent, not so sure Ellsbury stays, maybe last year was a career year of epic proportions. IMO school is still out on Ellsbury, will he be a good player or super-star remains to be seen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Also you cant get rid of more than 3/5th of the starting rotation and replace with 3 or more new guys

That is not an easy job especially trying to trade pitcher for pitcher.  

I know Beckett have been missing starts, but if you put Padilla or Cook in there, they will both miss starts too.  Look at Cook already, and Padilla in the past.

I would rather to keep Beckett in there, and try to bring in talent pitcher to become the team's newest ACE of the team such as Felix.  

Having Felix, Lester and Beckett in the rotation is better than having Felix, Lester and Padilla or Miller or etc!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: I believe it's time for major changes :   I keep reading about a 189 million threshold on salaries, in the upcoming years, or team will be hit with a huge luxury tax. With Boras as agent, not so sure Ellsbury stays, maybe last year was a career year of epic proportions. IMO school is still out on Ellsbury, will he be a good player or super-star remains to be seen.
    Posted by attic-dan

But Boston will start to get rid of over=paid players such as Dice K, Youkilis, Papi, Jenks, etc.  So therefore, the left over high paid salary are Agonz, Beckett, LAckey and Crawford.  I would not be surprise that Agonz, Crawford or Lackey could be trade to change scenery.  But first they need to get healthy and put up good stats.  

But it wouldnt matter anyway if Ellsbury is trade at the same time Boston didnt make into the playoff, Boston is more likely to buy players such as to go after Josh Hamilton, Either, Hamels, etc.  If they keep Ellsbury, they just go after few of them instead to go after three of them!!

So I rather to keep Ellsbury to make the team a younger team!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm not opposed to a blockbuster trade if we're still buried at the all star break, but I think we'd have to let go of someone we woulldn't want to to really make a blockbuster happen. Someone like say Pedroia or Ells. It would be a real wrench to part with either of those guys, but I think that's the point. The only trade that would influence the Red Sox for the next couple of years is one that brings in a bonafide ace starter. Someone like say, Felix Hernandez. What the Red Sox really lack IMO is that one pitcher that you just know you're going to win when he takes the hill. Beckett was that guy in 2007. He's not that guy consistently. I say Pedroia would be most likely to go in any deal with the Mariners because they already have a pretty good centerfielder. If we were lucky we could get them to take Youk and Beckett too. Youk because you can't sit Middlebrooks until he stops hitting and Beckett because I think he and Lackey together on the same pitching staff is a bad idea. You'd probably score less runs but maybe not a whole lot less. You'd still have the same heart of the lineup with Papi, Wicked Will and Gonzo. I'd bring Ciriaco up for now to play second and JC Linares to play somewhere in the outfield, maybe left. So what would the lineup be?

Aviles (Ellsbury)
    Sweeney/Ross
    Papi
    Middlebrooks
    Gonzo
    Linares
    Ciriaco
    Salty/Shop (Lavarnaway)
    Byrd (Crawford)

But the rotation could look something like

Hernandez
    Lester
    Doubront
    Dice
    Aceves (Bard)

Hernandez would be an excellent influence on the other pitchers as well, particularly the younger guys. I'd only do it if Seattle were willing to take Youk and Beckett as part of the deal though. Anyway those are my thoughts for now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: I believe it's time for major changes : But Boston will start to get rid of over=paid players such as Dice K, Youkilis, Papi, Jenks, etc.  So therefore, the left over high paid salary are Agonz, Beckett, LAckey and Crawford.  I would not be surprise that Agonz, Crawford or Lackey could be trade to change scenery.  But first they need to get healthy and put up good stats.   But it wouldnt matter anyway if Ellsbury is trade at the same time Boston didnt make into the playoff, Boston is more likely to buy players such as to go after Josh Hamilton, Either, Hamels, etc.  If they keep Ellsbury, they just go after few of them instead to go after three of them!! So I rather to keep Ellsbury to make the team a younger team!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

I'm not advocating trading Ellsbury, I hope they sign him long term, but a team with so many holes to fill is going to spend some money to get improvements especially SP. The problem is 4 of your SP are locked in if you include Lackey, and Ellsbury may be the only chip they have in the trade market, unless you want to throw in the kids at Pawtucket etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

As I stated yesterday, changes need to be made, now.
    That is unless you still think this team is a contender.
    Since last Sept. they have a record of 19 wins and 38 losses, still think they are winners?
    Of course we could wait for Ellsbury, Crawford, and Kalish to get back, but tell me, when is that? Two years ago Ellsbury went down with a injury and it ended up being a season ending injury. Now he again is injured and will it be the same as two years ago?  And Crawford really when will he be ready? Kalish, won't be ready until June, then it will take a month of extended spring training, so what is his time table?
    Bailey is down until June, then again extended spring training, and with his recent track record, their are no  guarantees about his return.
    So until furthur notice the Sox go with four 4th outfielders, and hasn't Byrd's defense been great? All four outfielders are fourth outfielders at best, but Bobby V has to go with what the FO is giving him.
    Saltalamacchia and Shoppach are not very good, but of course let's leave Lavarnway in Pawtucket for more seasoning, and also leave Iglesias their also, after all it would be terrible to have them in Boston. In spring training Aviles was playing the outfield with the intent of his seeing time out their, so lets bring Iglesias back for SS, then put Aviles in the outfield. Sure would rather see him out their than Byrd or McDonald.
    Now about our 3 aces[in their own minds] Beckett, Lester and Buchholz, haven't they been just grand so far? 30 games into the season and they have 2 quality starts between all three. I still say trade Beckett today and let him become soneone else's headache. His is a arrogant selfcentered person, who thinks more highly of himself that he ought to.
    And don't blame Bobby V, he can only do so much with the team he is given.
    And isn't it nice as fans to know Beckett and Buchholz can GOLF with bad backs, but when it comes to pitching, well that's a different story. Must be they have a game back and a recreational back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Read my lips:  it's the starting pitching and the absence of three former all-stars (Youk, Ells, and CC). 

Last year with Youk and Ells (and not so much CC), the Sox had the best offense in MLB.  This year it's still second best in the AL even with relative unknowns in the outfield.  Ortiz has been terrific so far.  Pedey has been Pedey.  Middlebrooks looks like the next terrific thirdbaseman in place of Youk.  With respect to the lineup, I think the smart thing is to wait out these injuries.

The bullpen has been almost lights out in the 16 games since the 15-9 debacle with the Yankees at Fenway.  It does not need to be fixed despite the absence of Papelbon, Bard, Melancon, and Bailey. 

I honestly think the fix on the starting pitching is to tweak it and not try to make a major change.  Beckett and Lester are still good starters.  Bard and Doubront might be.  Buchholz needs a trip to Pawtucket.  Cook and Matsuzaka should be available to start by the end of May if not sooner.  The golf thing is completely overblown. Beckett will start tonight as orginially scheduled by the FO and manager.    If Buchholz still had a back problem, he would not be starting. Golf couldn't hurt and might have helped. 

The only trade bait is Youk, and I don't think he can bring much for the Sox.  Trading good guys in the farm system is foolish given the Sox situation.  Trading guys like Byrd, Sweeney, McDonald, and Ross won't get much.  Trading AGon, Pedroia, Ells, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, Iglesias, etc might get something, but won't be worth it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Major changes are not a simple thing. It is a tough medicine and while it may be necessary it is not a short or pretty process.

Trying to dump players steeped in controversy (Beckett, Lester, Buch, Lackey), injured (Lackey, Crawford, Youk, Dice-K, Ellsbury) will not generate best value returns.

Most trades in this era, in season particularly are veterans for prospects and journeymen OR bad contract for bad contract. Prospects aren't immediate help and bad contract swaps are usually just a case of moving deck chairs on the Titanic.

IMHO the Nomar trade is often misread in Boston and has now become urban legend. The RS traded Nomar because Pokey Reese was on the DL and Nomar could not play every day at the time. They weren't going to resign Nomar and needed a SS who could play every day.

If the RS are going to make major changes, I would think it will be closer to the deadline when demand will be higher. But the guys who get traded aren't likely to be the guys most fans wish would just disappear (Beckett, Lackey, Crawford) but rather Ellsbury, Aviles, Ross, Sweeny and some BP guys).

If the RS can't make this pitcher staff work, it is a long road back in a deep league and deep division. As in years IMHO. And that is why the RS did not dump guys last winter, even if it would have made the ownership feel better for a minute...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm not opposed to a blockbuster trade if we're still buried at the all star break, but I think we'd have to let go of someone we woulldn't want to to really make a blockbuster happen. Someone like say Pedroia or Ells. It would be a real wrench to part with either of those guys, but I think that's the point. The only trade that would influence the Red Sox for the next couple of years is one that brings in a bonafide ace starter. Someone like say, Felix Hernandez. What the Red Sox really lack IMO is that one pitcher that you just know you're going to win when he takes the hill. Beckett was that guy in 2007. He's not that guy consistently. I say Pedroia would be most likely to go in any deal with the Mariners because they already have a pretty good centerfielder. If we were lucky we could get them to take Youk and Beckett too. Youk because you can't sit Middlebrooks until he stops hitting and Beckett because I think he and Lackey together on the same pitching staff is a bad idea. You'd probably score less runs but maybe not a whole lot less. You'd still have the same heart of the lineup with Papi, Wicked Will and Gonzo. I'd bring Ciriaco up for now to play second and JC Linares to play somewhere in the outfield, maybe left. So what would the lineup be? Aviles (Ellsbury) Sweeney/Ross Papi Middlebrooks Gonzo Linares Ciriaco Salty/Shop (Lavarnaway) Byrd (Crawford) But the rotation could look something like Hernandez Lester Doubront Dice Aceves (Bard) Hernandez would be an excellent influence on the other pitchers as well, particularly the younger guys. I'd only do it if Seattle were willing to to Youk and Beckett as part of the deal though. Anyway those are my thoughts for now.
    Posted by carnie

Why in the world would the Mariners take an oft-injured 33-year-old corner infielder with $10 million left on his contract and a struggling and loathed 32-year-old starter who has about $47 million remaining on his contract?

Seattle would have little interest in Dustin Pedroia because two of the Mariners' best young hitters -- 24-year-olds Dustin Ackley and Kyle Seager -- are best suited for secondbase.

The Red Sox probably don't have the pieces to land Felix Hernandez even in the unlikely event the Mariners make the righthander available.

Seattle could make available lefthander Jason Vargas, who ranks 12th among American League pitchers in WAR this season and 22nd in 71 starts since the start of the 2010 season. Vargas, who may become expendable when the Mariners call up Danny Hultzen and/or James Paxton, earns $4.85 million this season and remains under his team's control through the 2013 season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Blockbuster trades can backfire too. Other teams are not in business to solve the Sox problems.  What we need to do is to retain our core talent , get rid of the mediocre veteran guys , and fill in with youth. There are several players in the minors now who deserve a shot. There are several others who are not far off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

All on the way by the end of May: Els, CC, Dice.  Nice additions!  Bring up Lava now and start him at C.  Bring up Melancon as an (experienced) closer and put Aceves in the starting ro in place of Bard who should go back to the 8th inning.
    Lineup by end of May:
    Els
    Pedey
    Ortiz
    Gonzo
    Lava
    Middle/Youk
    Aviles
    Sweeney/Cody
    CC

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The lineup is nothing to brag about, but is still scoring runs, about as many as anyone else in the AL.

Meaningless. Baseball scoreboard is game to game, not a total runs scored.

The offense is the problem. Lester and the staff pitched well, last night. Yet, I never read a comment that understands a single one of the many good staff pitching performances for this season.

Thinking that the solution is getting pitchers who can hold the opponent to a lot of games of 3 runs or less is truly a pipe dream. Fenway/AL/DL. "It's the pitching" is the archaric knee jerk comment from a time when the league the Red Sox played in was a different league. Manny and Ortiz and the supporting position player cast had more to do with the two titles than any pitching staff did.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Except for, possibly, trading Youk off to the Reds, I wouldn't even think about a trade. Especially Ellsbury! You want to trade the guy who was the MVP runner-up (to a pitcher, at that) last year? That smells of desperation. not re-building.

The outfield is a mess. Sweeney is a banjo-hitter, but does play a decent RF. The other three, togther, have cost us more games this year than the bullpen. That's hard to do! But, it is what it is, and we WILL get 2 of the better outfielders in the league back----sometime! Until then, I agree the SS and C from Pawtucket  should be brought up, and at least get their feet wet during this time. By the All Star break, I would like to see us no worse than 35-46. That means we'd need a second half of 50-31 in order to have a playoff shot. That's manageable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Write this season off, make everyone on the roster available, and go out and get some young arms. It's the starting pitching that is horrible!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Don't "go out and get young arms". Use the young arms already on the team and on the farm and through the draft, and get rid of the dead weight and get the best young RH OF superstar in the game.

Sections
Shortcuts